Hop Czar

From:
BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Oregon, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Hop CzarHop Czar
Notes:
Reviews: 390 | Ratings: 1,058 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by ClassicallyTrained:
ClassicallyTrained from New York

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Overall a decent example of an American IPA, but I felt it was somewhat lacking in terms of the nose not being backup up by the strong hops flavor I was expecting so I am not sure I would classify it as a double. Other than that it did have a nice crisp up front that didn't linger too long with more of a floral hops flavor. Medium gold color appropriate for the style.

Edit: Tasted this with the Bridgeport IPA as part of a mixed pack and that was much better. If trying to choose between the two I would definitely go with the standard IPA.

Jun 09, 2013
BEERchitect from Kentucky

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Raw and earthy! If the gripping bitterness of resiny hops command your attention, then this beer hits home. But the finness of bright citrusy and tropical aromas and flavors are shoved to the side in favor of deeply high alpha acids in hop profile.

Caught somewhere between orange, light amber, and copper, the beer carries a bright glow that emits from a mild hazy cast. Short on head character, but the thin white sheet of foam retains well and laces nicely given the short-statured head.

Very herbal and grassy to the nose with an embedded scent of white grapefruit pulp and pith. Fresh cut grasses, pine, lemongrass, sassafras, and freshly mulled tea leaves all give an earthy and nearly stemmy scent. A moderate backdrop of caramel malts proves the balance to the hoppy scent but without overpowerment.

Flavors fare similarly, but with a firm caramel malt taste that nearly rivals the taste of hops. White grapefruit, fresh grasses, herbs, and pine all taste the way the nose suggests, but with the earthy taste that detracts slightly from the clean citrusy nature of American IPAs. The biting resiny bitterness would declare complete dominance if not for the robust malty sweetness and breadiness.

Medium-full in texture, the beer's full malty body for an Imperial IPA along with the creamy carbonation gives a greater impression of fullness than the beer actually exhibits. The mid palate releases the carbonation and much of the malty sweet feel to allow for a semi-dry finish of bitter resins, alcoholic warmth, and slightly harsh bite.

With the full use of highly bitter hops, there's not the more finness-type hops that would have delivered the pleasant and clean citrus components that we love in IPAs of all strength and weight.

Dec 26, 2011
RHVC59 from Oregon

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Apr 27, 2015
waltersrj from Washington

3.37/5  rDev -6.4%

Pour: Deep dark orange with a small white head.

Nose: Citrus hops, pineapple, mango, and papaya. Bitter dank hops in the middle with a caramel malt backbone.

Taste: Similar to the smell but more of a dank hop taste with citrus hops at the end and then a caramel malt finish.

Mouthfeel: Light bodies for a IIPA. Decent.

Overall: Not bad for the price but not nearly my favorite.

Nov 20, 2011
fredmugs from Indiana

Jan 09, 2013
DrMindbender from South Carolina

Jul 18, 2014
alleykatking from Indiana

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Thanks to betsona for the bottle.

A- Pours a clear copper color. One finger white head shows medium retention. Light streaky lace on the sides of the glass.

S- Piney hops in the front of the aroma. This really overtakes everything although it just seems a little one sided. Some light caramel hops in the ending with hints of alcohol. It doesn't have a interesting aroma to it at all.

T- Piney hops in the front of the beer give way to really nothing much. There is some light caramel malts in the middle of the beer. Piney hops come back in the ending but even this is a little bland and boring for my taste. Light bitter alcohol ending on the final backend to this beer.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Piney hops are all that is left on the palate. Aftertaste is light caramel, alcohol, and bitter pine. This beer is a little one sided to me and not balanced. No off flavors were present in this beer. Medium alcohol drying left on the palate.

O- This beer is bland and not inviting really at all. The abv isn't really showing at all in this beer. I wish this showed a little more sweetness in the malts to counterbalance the bitterness from the piney hops. Oh well can't have it all. Not a bad DIPA but average at best.

May 29, 2011

Sep 20, 2014
webbcreative from Oklahoma

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured golden amber color with white, 3 finger head. Aroma is
piney hops, reminds me of the majhera actually. Taste has the beginning of the majhera, it just doesn't deliver as such. Seems like it backs off just as it starts to get good, it has a nice bitterness but the nice piney citrusy flavor is lacking, as well as a big malt mody. Mouthfeel is thin for the style.

Overall this is a decent beer, but is greatly lacking in body and hop flavor. IPA? Sure. DIPA, I don't think so. I'm dissapoonted in his beer, especially considering how much I have loves everything else I have tried of theirs.

Feb 14, 2010
blakelive784 from Colorado

3.21/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 fl oz bottle served in a pint glass:

A - An amazingly creamy head sits on top of a hazy orange/golden body. Retention is very good and the head leaves a substantial amount of lacing as it recedes.

S - Grapefruit, pine, honey, and some spicy notes. Relatively strong in strength. Standard fare, I'd say.

T - Floral piney notes open along with citrus fruit, bleeding into the body, composed of sweet caramel malt. There's an obvious bitterness that lingers throughout, but it's not unwelcomed or unbalanced. Finishes balanced, with orange and bitterness.

M - Light and fairly crisp, but finishes too smooth.

D - One of the most fairly balanced IPA's I've had. It's not outstanding by any stretch, but for the style, I'm having it.

Dec 05, 2011
nloyless from Texas

Sep 01, 2013
Chilly_E from Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +25%

Aug 03, 2014
benclimbs from California

3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

golden brown with a slight head and no lacing.

smell is really nice - lots of grapefruity cascade hops and tons of piney character, very fruity/west coasty.

taste is pretty un-exciting, very hop driven, bitter, fruity - but no complexity, boring finish, way too perfumy and a little plasticy and strange...not very exciting.

drinkability is pretty low, but it is a 7.5 hoppy beer...effort to get through though.

Aug 16, 2010
LazyL from Canada

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a slightly hazy deep copper with a thin off white head. The nose is decent with some buttery light malt, mild citrus and yeast notes. The taste is thirst quenching. Grapefruit bitterness that grabs your attention. There is some subtle boozy elements and the finish is bitter but smooth. The 7.5% is present and adds a layer of sophistication. So a nice balanced mouthfeel and easy drinkabilty make this a beer worth drinking.

Mar 13, 2011

ncstateplaya from North Carolina

Sep 26, 2013
ColSanders123 from Georgia

3.96/5  rDev +10%

A- Pours an amber, reddish color with a medium size head.

S- Was eating fish while drinking this so thought the smell was a little fishy. It was slightly sweet but a lot of earthy smells came through like grassy or salt water. I know, weird but that's what I thought.

T- After the initial bitter sweet initial taste the finish is full of hop bitterness. I really enjoyed it. Leaves you tasting the beer for 30 seconds or more after taking a sip.

M- It went down smoothly but was a little thin. Perfect with my meal and cleanses the palate for the next bite.

O- Thought this was a good and well rounded beer that I would buy again in the future if I wanted a hop fix.

Jul 17, 2011
Tech_Savy

Sep 10, 2012
Keepnitrl from Washington

Jul 24, 2014
marvin213 from North Carolina

1.86/5  rDev -48.3%

It's a cool name and regal-looking bottle, but the beer's appearance isn't overly impressive. Even with a gentle pour, I've got like a quarter-foot of frothy head. Thick lacing is evident as it works it's way down. Its color is a yellowish orange, oddly reminiscent of soda. I feel like I'm looking at a crazy Avery beer that's trying to do too much. In general, I'm skeptical of this one.

Further doubt lingers when I smell this one. Shouldn't I be overwhelmed with yummy hop aroma by a beer called "Hop Czar?" Maybe I should brush up on my Russian history, but isn't a czar like a king? Why do I smell malts? It's like I'm actually mad at the smell.

The taste, unfortunately, is similarly disappointing. I feel duped because it's like a blah beer in a big, cool-looking bottle. I'm proud we call our head honcho a president. I'm learning about the freshness factor with hops and all, but I don't think that's what's going on here. It's just a maybe okay beer marketed as something it's not. I've yet to be impressed with anything from Bridgeport. This beer is like a hop monster's skeleton--it's all malty backbone. I'd consider trying another one for confirmation, but I really don't think it's a freshness factor--the malty flavor is good, but where's the czar?

I'm mad at the mouthfeel like I was at the smell, and for the same reason: here's a west coast, self-proclaimed hop monster with hardly any citrusy sweetness and NO ability to pull enamel. I don't expect that from every beer--not even every beer that proclaims to be hoppy--but a big boy bottle with a dude on a throne holding hops. I was set up, and this beer experience has proven a disappointing one.

I'd only drink another to confirm my disappointment. I guess that's a step up from awful. Really, the beer is a common "okay," but you should know that before you unwrap the aluminum from the cap and pop open the bomber. Maybe I should know better coming from Bridgeport? It will take some soothing medicine to heal these wounds and improve my opinion of this beermaker.

May 10, 2009
Hergestridge from Illinois

3.69/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ok.. I want to drive to Oregon and give everyone @ Bridgeport a Hug!! This IPA is excellent and for the price.. Awesomely Excellent...
The Smell, taste, mouth feel & appearance is top rate.. Another of the included biers in a "seasonal" variety pack.. Just might get hooked on the collection packs that are so popular these days... And variety packs are a stroke of Genus. Why?? Because one great entry entices you to check out all of the biermeister's entries.. And Hop Czar is .. well Excellent.. Idaho has potatoes.. Washington Apples.. Oregon.. Damn Fine Beer!!!

~Carry on Citizens!!!~
sMc

p.s. Did I mention the colour is a gorgeous Caramel and the head a fluffy lacing maelstrom of happy hoppy goodness??? YUM!!!

Feb 15, 2014