Hop Czar | BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

good
good
Read the review
Hop CzarHop Czar

3.6
15%

Ratings: 1,053 |  Reviews: 389
3.38/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - A nice foamy head sits on top of a hazy orange/golden body. Retention of the head is very good but when it does recedes it provides some nice lacing.

S - Grapefruit, pine, honey, and some sort of spicy notes are the most notable. With the Citrus I think being the strongest.

T - Floral piney notes open along with citrus fruit, make up the body of this beer and are the first thing you notice. I also noticed a Sweet carmel backbone which kind of offsets some of the bitterness in this beer.

M - I would say this beer is more of a medium styled beer, It has good carbonation.

D - Overall, It's a decent beer glad I had it but seeing that I can't get it where I'm at I wouldn't seek it out.

2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

3.17/5  rDev -11.9%

4/18/2012
I bought and installed a new washing machine today, this was the beer I drank during. My new machine sounds like Robo 3000, pretty epic.
Bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours out a pale amber-orange body. With a vigorous pour it hardly had any head. Didn't hold carbonation well.

Smell: Strong hops smell. I get a weak flower/citrus smell and then wheat. The malty smells are masked by the powerful hops smell.

Taste: It's a fairly strong hopped IPA. I get the piney citrus notes on the back end. It just seems to overpowering with the bittering hops.

Mouthfeel: Smooth medium to soft bodied. Low carbonation.

Drinkability: Meh, not one of the best IPA's. Drinkable, but I'd go else ware.

2.58/5  rDev -28.3%

12oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a hazy orange with a short-lived foamy white head.

There are citric and resin hop notes, though they are a bit muted. Some caramel malts coming through in the finish.

Same as the notes, quick hints of citric and resin hop notes, followed by a caramel, pale malt finish.

Medium body with soft carbonation.

I see it's potential, but the hops are either quite muted or faded. I don't know if this was an old bottle or what. I would give it another shot if I was certain I had a fresh offering.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

this is an average IPA for me.

very nice looking beer, pours nice with very nice thick creamy head.

smells of citrus/grapefruit and hopps.

hoppy with citrus flavors. the way an IPA should be.

very nice clean beer.

overall I would recommend and try again.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

3.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Picked up a bomber of this for $2.69 in Norcross, GA. Thirteen bonus points for a product that's priced like it's not made of malt liquid gold...if it's any good, of course. Split with my wife.

The pour goes into an unmarked nonic, no branding with my beer tonight, thank you. Cloudy, unfiltered orange beer with plenty of carbonation greets my eyes. Nose oozes bright hops, plenty of bitterness, pineapply pine, along with a healthy dose of malts. But not too much.

Hop Czar sets a new bar for a good, cheap bomber of hops. Pine-forward beer, with the pine soaked liberally in tragic bitterness. My first sip turns into a couple of quick pulls, it's difficult to eat just one, very mouth-positive. Malts are demure. Sticky. Only knock I have is the aftertaste, which builds into a soapy film that really sticks to the teeth & gums. Which makes me drink it all the faster to bring the pleasantness back. That's a nasty brewing trick, right there.

It's not going to be confused with a top five IIPA anytime soon, but certainly drinkable & with a distinct hop bite. Good beer, & thanks to Bridgeport for a reasonably price bomber.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

I bought a single bottle of this as part of a M&M 6-pack from Binny’s in Downer’s Grove, IL for $9.99 in Early 2012.

Pours a cloudy, dark orange color with a lingering head. Scent is hoppy with other citrus and floral scents present. The taste is bold with bitterness from hops. The bitterness is strong and finishes quite dry. Some other hints of yeast, citrus, and malts are also present. Moderate lacing as the beer is slowly sipped. If you like that hoppy/bitter taste, this is a good one to try.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

2.88/5  rDev -20%

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint

A- Pours a golden-amber color with a 1 finger off white head. Sticky lacing is left all the way down the glass. Slightest amount of protein floaties as well.

S- Resinous piney hops dominate with a touch of citrus, most notably grapefruit as well.

T- Pine and citrus up front, a ton of bitterness as well. A little sweetness cuts through the resinous hops.

M- Full bodied for the style, very resiny, bitter, and has a lot of aftertaste, too much for me.

O- Not a bad beer, but would not seek out again. A bit bitter for my liking, and not balanced enough for me.

4.39/5  rDev +21.9%

Tastes like one giant hop. Unfortunately I'm not a one plant kind of guy. The result is fairly magnificent, but in a kind of limited way. Enjoy alcoholics and other thrill seekers. This a beer honed to a diamond point. Related writers: William S. Burroughs, Rudyard Kipling, J. K. Rowling, Yukio Mishima.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%