Summer Squeeze | BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Liked:
3.38/5
Alströms:

3.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

"Ale brewed with lemongrass with yuzu fruit juice added." "Summer Squeeze Bright Ale." 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with typical label art and branded pry-off cap acquired as part of a variety box/12 pack and served into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are average given the brewery.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger wide head of white-khaki colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. Retention is above average - about 3-4 minutes. No real lacing as the head recedes.

Body colour is a fairly vibrant yellow-copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Looks pretty typical of the style.

Sm: Lemongrass, clean barley, pilsner malts, and a near-lychee like fruity character I'm not real acquainted with. I guess that's yuzu? Complementary floral hop character. A clean pleasant approachable aroma of above average strength. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. Looking forward to trying it.

T: Pleasant fruit; fairly unique - sort of a lychee without the sweetness meets a lightly citrusy fruit somewhere between lemon and orange - but not quite as evocative - if that makes any sense. Clean barley. Munich and pilsner malts. Quite well balanced in a general sense; it doesn't come off gestalt. Some zest and citrusy zing. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. I do get a light touch of complementary floral hops. Maybe a bit of straw too. Decent complexity - especially for a style which is usually fairly simple - and decent subtlety. I do like it.

Average intensity and duration of flavour. Above average depth of flavour.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Lightly crisp. Good carbonation. Approachable and soft. Nice thickness and body; never overbearing. Complements the flavour profile nicely, but doesn't come off custom-tailored to it. Actually, this texture really suits the beer nicely; I fancy it'll go unappreciated but it's surprisingly well executed.

Dr: Quite drinkable and enjoyable. A good summer beer that'll scratch your itch; it delivers on the promise of its premise. I'd easily get it again, and it's a nice little beer from Bridgeport. Who knew their best offering in the variety pack wouldn't be one of the zealously hopped IPAs or Imperial Reds, but would rather be the simple easygoing blonde waiting for its turn to shine? A respectable downable brew from Bridgeport that I intend to revisit. Hides its ABV well. I'd recommend it to friends, but I'd taper my recommendation with a disclaimer: it's simple and meant to just be drinkable. A good party or barbecue brew.

B-

Drinks great from a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Not recommended for aging.

3.42/5  rDev +1.2%

12 oz bottle served fairly cold. Has a mild aroma of fruit and malt. Not particularly sweet despite the suggestion from the nose. Instead, nicely tart with a dry finish. Citrus (yuzu) more evident in the nose than the mouth.

O: a refreshing and unique(?) beer containing yuzu juice. {Yuzu is a Japanese citrus, typically used for its aromatic rind}.

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

An actually new twist on the light fruity beers. That Japanese yuzu taste is really aromatic and gives just the right tart edge. I've only had it in yuzu seasoning sauce but it's not a strong flavor, and seems well suited to beer. Closer to tangerine than other citrus fruits.

Nice bright golden color in the chalice. Watery in a refreshing way, light and crisp. Plenty sudsy and a great champagne mouthfeel. Great quaff and I would like to find this on tap. Bridgeport surprises me sometimes, but it's another big brewery that puts out well-made beers.

From the 12 oz bottle bought at my favorite Denver store, Grapevine Liquors on Monaco.

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

12 ounce bottle - $1.79 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a yellow body with uncompromising clarity and an inch-high, white head.

Smell: Lightly malty, lightly citrusy, and rounded out by the typical Bridgeport house yeast.

Taste: Malted barley with a low graininess, gentle sweetness, and an unassuming hint of biscuit. Lemony herbal qualities (as well as a bit of nectarine), helped along by the lemongrass and yuzu but also the hops. Faint bitterness. Touch of Bridgeport yeast. Crisp, drying, lightly citrusy finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: SSBA hits the spot as a fine, thirst-quenching blonde ale.

2.87/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Leave it to the beer world to teach me about the yuzu fruit. This stuff pours a clear sunshine brass-gold topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises lemongrass, light greens, slightly-funky lemon peel (I'm assuming this is the yuzu?), and a hint of cracked wheat. The taste brings in more of the same, with a bit more wheat, a breezing of biscuit, and an enhanced bit of what I'm taking for yuzu. What's more, I think I'm learning I don't enjoy the yuzu... The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I can't say I was much of a fan of this. Maybe it was the yuzu, maybe it was just a mediocre beer, I'm not sure, but the result is the same regardless.

The appearance had a light orange/yellow body with a half finger white foamy head that rises a bit and then falls leaving some nice slightly foamy yet clingy lacing gracing the sides of the glass, carbonation is seen rising at a moderate pace. The smell had lemongrass and citrus are up front, lightly malted coming forth in the background but stays mainly subdued for the most part, and there’s a nice spicey/pepperiness coming through to tie everything together. The taste had lemongrass/citrus leading to a tangy yet peppery almost spiciness, spicy aftertaste, dry finish. On the palate, it sat at/about a light to medium, fairly sessionable. Carbonation seems good for an American Blonde Ale and good for me, becomes slightly crisp. Overall, actually this is one of Bridgeport’s best beers.

2.25/5  rDev -33.4%

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

I thought this one would be close to Lienenkugel's Summer Shandy--or whatever it's called. I'm glad it is not.

Pours bright. Light golden, some haze. Good white, foamy, semi-dense head. Retention is good. Little lacing.

Aroma is mostly lemon with an odd muskiness to it. Malt is sweet, husky a bit. Some spices and hops, not overly strong

Taste is a bit odd with the muskiness. Although I think that calms down the lemon and citrus a bit, otherwise it would be like lemonade...as the carbonation can use a pinch more bubbles. Kind of creamy on the end, but the hops do a subtle job of providing crispness.

Nice summer beer

2.75/5  rDev -18.6%

3.72/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Bright, clear gold color. Poured a 2 finger stark white head that dissipated to an even skim. Laced the glass in medium rings with occasional legs down the glass.

S: Lemongrass and citrus zest hit the nose up front. Sweet with some bread notes as the beer warmed a little.

T: Just like the nose with big lemongrass and citrus throughout. Crisp, refreshing and fairly balanced as there is a lemony sweetness that lingers through a very light bitter.

M: Light body. Ample carbonation. Crisp, clean and refreshing.

O: Very drinkable and refreshing. More than a couple, the lemon may wear me out. Very manageable ABV.

3.23/5  rDev -4.4%

5/7/2012

A: Transparent straw yellow with a substantial creamy white cap that recedes in a cavernous fashion and leaves lots of lacing on the glass.

S: Pronounced lemongrass with grainy malt. There's a hint of sourness on the nose which I assume is from the Yuzu. I've never heard of Yuzu before, but now that I look it up I see that it's a sour Japanese citrus fruit. The nose does have a distinct citrus quality unlike any fruit I've tried. It must be Yuzu!

T: Grainy malt with a pleasant sweetness that combines with the slightly sour Yuzu fruit. Lemongrass is pervasive. It's fairly simple beer, really, but not unpleasant.

M: Light body with upper medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is smooth and dry.

Overall: A pretty solid beer. Simplicity is its flaw, but the addition of the lemongrass and Japanese citrus livens things up a bit. I don't plan on finishing this bottle, but I wouldn't turn this down at, say, a barbeque where this was being served. I don't imagine I'll ever be in that situation, though. Actually, let's say I'm at a baseball game, which is not something I routinely go to, but if I were there for a company outing or something like that and my options were limited. I would be happy to drink this. That's a better example.

This beer is really damn drinkable. I found myself guzzling from the bottle as I walked toward the drain.

3.27/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

3.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into straight pint pint glass. Poured a slightly hazy bright yellow color with just under 1/4 inch of white head that dissipated quickly and left very light lacing.

The aroma featured a basic "beer" scent, that general grain and hop mix that you find across the lighter styles. Some citrusy notes did come through however. I don't have any experience with the Yuzu fruit used in this beer, so I couldn't pick out if it contributed anything to the brew or not. The taste was overall very good, a nice grain base, some tangy hops, some citrus (mostly lemon) tones, and just a general crisp taste. Halfway through the glass I burped the most lemony burp I've ever burped.

The body was smooth, and while mostly clean, did have a slightly sticky finish. Drinkability was very good, I could easily have several of these on a warm day. Overall, this was a nice little brew. I thought the flavors could have been a little more bold, but in general this is an enjoyable brew that's worth trying when you see it.

2.95/5  rDev -12.7%

On tap that the PDX brewpub.

A - Pours a clear light orange that is almost yellow. White average sized head.

S - Very floral and citrusy, oranges.

T - Totally different here. Wheat, Barley, rye.

D - Decent carbonation, very thin and light.

O - If the taste could match the smell, we would have a great beer here.

Summer Squeeze from BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub