Summer Squeeze | BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Added by inthebeeraisle on 05-19-2011

4.5/5  rDev +29.7%

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - slightly cloudy golden body under a finger and a half of white foam; moderate carbonation bubbles

S - sour lemon, sweet citrus, grass

T - sweet citrus (presumably from the yuzu), lemony bitterness, hints of grass and peppery spice, bitter citrus finish

M - medium body, high carbonation

O - crisp, refreshing, and citrusy; an ok summer brew

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

3.03/5  rDev -12.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a mug. Tall, off white head and a honey colored body.

S- Lemon zest, orange peel, wet straw and spices.

T- Lemons, mango and a spicy(ish) seasoning. Nothing exciting, but not bad.

M- Medium carbonation, thin bodied 'lager styled' brew.

Refreshing and smooth. I could drink a few at these on a 100+ degree day at the lake.

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

poured into a diconic....

the finely bubbled head gives this light colored ale a great overall look. The lacing is generous and persistent.

Smell is heavily citrus as you might expect since the label says it is brewed with lemongrass and yuzu fruit juice added.

It comes across as a lager to me with much more ABV than the 4.5% quoted. But, of course, no trace of malt.

Mouthfeel is excellent; not overly carbonated and full bodied.

Overall, very sessionable summer ale. Being a hophead, it's not something I would seek out often but on a hot summer day, it may be just the ticket.

3.38/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into straight pint pint glass. Poured a slightly hazy bright yellow color with just under 1/4 inch of white head that dissipated quickly and left very light lacing.

The aroma featured a basic "beer" scent, that general grain and hop mix that you find across the lighter styles. Some citrusy notes did come through however. I don't have any experience with the Yuzu fruit used in this beer, so I couldn't pick out if it contributed anything to the brew or not. The taste was overall very good, a nice grain base, some tangy hops, some citrus (mostly lemon) tones, and just a general crisp taste. Halfway through the glass I burped the most lemony burp I've ever burped.

The body was smooth, and while mostly clean, did have a slightly sticky finish. Drinkability was very good, I could easily have several of these on a warm day. Overall, this was a nice little brew. I thought the flavors could have been a little more bold, but in general this is an enjoyable brew that's worth trying when you see it.

4.64/5  rDev +33.7%

Smooth, Light, Refreshing! I love the citrus hints in this beer. Like the other reviews I suppose that is the flavor of Yuzu an Asian fruit. Its similar to lemon only more like a lemon zest than an actual lemon. I hate lemons in beer now that my my palate is starting to develop, I'll leave that for the big brew companies like Budlight and Corona. I had this over Memorial Day weekend at my in-laws cookout. It finished well with the wonderful smoked BBQ. This beer is a beer that compliments and does not overpower. It goes down smooth and is a thirst quincher on a hot day. It just surpassed my old favorite summer beer, Boulevard Wheat.

4.5/5  rDev +29.7%

3.23/5  rDev -6.9%

5/7/2012

A: Transparent straw yellow with a substantial creamy white cap that recedes in a cavernous fashion and leaves lots of lacing on the glass.

S: Pronounced lemongrass with grainy malt. There's a hint of sourness on the nose which I assume is from the Yuzu. I've never heard of Yuzu before, but now that I look it up I see that it's a sour Japanese citrus fruit. The nose does have a distinct citrus quality unlike any fruit I've tried. It must be Yuzu!

T: Grainy malt with a pleasant sweetness that combines with the slightly sour Yuzu fruit. Lemongrass is pervasive. It's fairly simple beer, really, but not unpleasant.

M: Light body with upper medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is smooth and dry.

Overall: A pretty solid beer. Simplicity is its flaw, but the addition of the lemongrass and Japanese citrus livens things up a bit. I don't plan on finishing this bottle, but I wouldn't turn this down at, say, a barbeque where this was being served. I don't imagine I'll ever be in that situation, though. Actually, let's say I'm at a baseball game, which is not something I routinely go to, but if I were there for a company outing or something like that and my options were limited. I would be happy to drink this. That's a better example.

This beer is really damn drinkable. I found myself guzzling from the bottle as I walked toward the drain.

3.08/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. 1 finger, frothy white head. Crystal clear, straw colored body. Good amounts of carbonation apparent.

Aroma was a bit grainy with some lemony citrus notes. Mild maltiness.

Taste was very light. Some light grainy maltiness with a lemony citrus finish. Pretty clean tasting.

Mouthfeel was light with medium/high carbonation. Very dry.

Overall an extremely light beer. Not much flavor and aroma aside from lemon.

2.5/5  rDev -28%