Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale | Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

good
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel AleKentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.
Kentucky, United States

3.17/5  rDev -12.7%

4.11/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.48/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear, medium amber color, but with minimal head and no lacing.

S: The bready malt, typical of an ale, is the first thing I smell. Strong vanilla aromas come next, followed by some leather notes. Yep, there's whiskey in this beer.

T: There is some malt flavor here, and a little hops bitterness in the finish. But they are completely buried by the taste of bourbon whiskey.

M: Despite the lackluster head, the carbonation is good and it has a nice crispness to it.

O: I'm a big fan of bourbon, but sometimes there's just too much of a good thing. I was hoping for a beer complemented by the whiskey, not dominated by it. It wasn't bad, per se, just not what I was hoping for.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.82/5  rDev -22.3%

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +24%

3.63/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.99/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling - Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. 8.2% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Look: Dark amber body, appears as tea, with a small short lived head.

Smell: Most prevalent is the bourbon, somewhat boozy, accompanied by the barrel char. Not really accented by any additional aromas.

Feel: On the thin side, with some light carbonation. Watery feel.

Taste: Mirror of the aroma. Not much besides boozy bourbon and oak barrel. Has a quaint sweet finish paired with the booze.

Overall: I had higher hopes for this, because of how well I liked the other bourbon barrel beers from Alltech, but this just seemed too bland and boozy.

3.79/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.32/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.12/5  rDev -14%

255ml bottle / 8.2%

Pours a dark copper with a pretty crappy head which died. Left a litttle lacing though.

Lots of bourbon on the palate. A hint of vanila. Very little hop bitterness, a little butterscotch - maybe off.

Mouth quite thin.
Alcohol masked very well.

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1.6/5  rDev -55.9%

Does anyone else remember when this beer was good? It actually changed my life when I first had it about four or five years ago. I was blown away by the vanilla flavor that came through in the beer. I could not believe how much a bourbon barrel could change a beer. It was delicious.

Not any more.

I'm disappointed every time I taste it. Every now and then I will sample it from various taps in hopes of a good batch. And I know it when I have it. I have yet to consistently sample it at the quality level of when it first came to Ohio. Really, it was that good.

You know, it might still be a good beer. But this beer set a higher standard for me. It is unfortunate that I am holding this beer to the very standard it created for me years ago. Every now and then I will get lucky (less than 5% of the time) and stumble across a good batch. But I have given up at this point. The business decision that was made to sacrifice quality lost me as a consumer.

Maybe it is the aging time. Or maybe it is the process that has changed. It sure seems like the bourbon barrels are being used too many times to claim "barrel aged" on the label without adding flavor. I miss the original. I would have paid more for it. Now, it is so mainstream that the quality has been sacrificed for distribution.

This could have become an iconic beer if quality was more important than quantity. Demand would have always exceeded supply. Instead, consumers like me - that helped to build demand for this beer - are no longer the consumers buying it.

Am I the only one that noticed this?

3.39/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I got this beer in a beer trade. I was expecting more bourbon considering the name and I did not expect it to be sour. However, it was still a good beer.

Look: Copper color almost reddish brown with a thin white head.

Aroma: sweet woody aroma.

Taste: Bready, caramel, vanilla, sour apple, pretty sour, and very mild bourbon.

Feel: Medium body and medium carbonation.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.