Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout | Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel StoutKentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout
3.57/5
Good
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel StoutKentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.
Kentucky, United States
kentuckyale.com

Style: American Imperial Stout

Added by bluejacket74 on 11-23-2012

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,161 |  Reviews: 207

3.86/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle (no date) into a goblet.

Appearance: Opaque brown with a reddish tinge. The brown head dissipates quickly to a ring.

Aroma: coffee, bourbon, and some malt.

Taste: Follows the aroma. A slight presence of hops. The flavors are deep, with some toasty notes. The sweet bourbon taste was quite pleasant. The coffee was big but not excessive. It intensifies if you let the beer linger on the tongue. A nice flavor profile though not an overly complex one.

Mouthfeel: Nice, but nothing too outstanding: medium carbonation and fullness.

Overall: I'm fairly new to this style, but I can say that I'd have this one again. Even at 8%, the alcohol was understated but made its presence known. I paired this beer with duck breast, and even though it's a rather big beer, it worked well. But I think it would be a great standalone beer also. The bourbon sweetness was well balanced with the coffee richness and the slight presence of hops.

4.21/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter glass.
Dark black in color with a rather short head of tan foam.
Aroma-Faint spiciness, chocolate note, subtle bourbon
Taste-Oakey spiciness, chocolate, subtle bourbon that melds nicely and doesn't overpower. A bit thin-bodied, but overall nice flavor and balance and pretty drinkable at "only" 8.0ABV.

4.25/5  rDev +19%

3.42/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Black and thick. Mmmm motor oil. :)
No head retention to speak of, very little on pour.

S - Chocolate first and forward, with coffee following. Reminiscent of a really good mocha. Bourbon comes through almost as an alcoholic heat (subtle) more than the complex woody and sweet character you might expect, although there is some of the mild vanilla often found with barrel aging and a lot of roast. Quite a bit going on here.

T - I've had this once before and didn't get the harshness that I found this time on the first sip: it reminded me of the aftertaste from smoking a good cigar - leathery, peppery, with a bit of char that probably comes from the barrel (fine in a cigar, but not necessarily welcome in a beer). This charcoal-like note is very off putting. The rich roast of the malt, which is present, is getting buried behind it. This is a recent purchase, much better when I last had it, so I suspect this beer needs some cellaring to reach it's true potential.

M - Full bodied mouth feel with a nearly syrupy viscosity, but not particularly smooth - there is almost a grainy feeling on the tongue that lingers. There is a pleasant warming you'd expect from the style that you feel all the way down.

O - The first time I had it, it was at a friend's and I think that had held it for awhile. It was certainly much better in that batch than in this one now that I've acquired it for myself. I expected to be writing a better review based on my first experience with this beer, but I'm hopeful that it is a lack of conditioning rather than a lack of consistency.

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

355 ml bottle
Served in a snifter

L - It is dark brown with the faintest of ruby light coming through. It had an inch of tan head the disappeared quickly.

S - I get some coffee right off the bat. Then I get roasted malt

T - The taste is surprising. I get some coffee, but I also get some plum. Interesting.

M - Full

O - This beer is not a good as I remember. I do not recall the plum taste, but the smell was better than I recall. It is decent. I mainly got it to drink while I watched Justified.

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Not black but a deep dark ruby, much like a porter. The head was fizzy, light and disappeared quickly.

Strong coffee notes fill the nose with touches of burnt chocolate malt. A bit of sweet, a bit of char the scent is quite powerful.

I like the taste of burnt coffee, malt, hints of dry chocolate but am nagged by the watery end and feel. There's a char that takes over near the end but the watery taste washes it away.

The key to a stout is the full,robust texture and taste and this just misses out on that.

4.75/5  rDev +33.1%

3.25/5  rDev -9%

3.49/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- Pours very dark black with a half finger of a tan head.Some alcohol legs and little head retention.

S- Coffee, roasted malts, a touch of chocolate and some bitterness.

T- A slight bitterness at first and a dryness from the roasted malts and then a TON of coffee. An onslaught of coffee that is dominant in the beer. A slight roasted malt and a nice caramel to the beer. Almost no bourbon to speak of.

M- A bit watery to be honest. Leaves my mouth with a sticky film.

O- Disappointing. Not a bad beer and I may have even liked it if it didnt have BOURBON in the name. A better name for this beer should be Kentucky Coffee stout. Seriously, did they age this in bourbon barrels for a day? What's strange to me is just how bourbon forward their bourbon barrel ale is. The beer therefor does not justify the relatively high price.

2.75/5  rDev -23%

1.75/5  rDev -51%

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.
Beer rating: 3.57 out of 5 with 1,161 ratings