Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout | Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel StoutKentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout
3.57/5
Good
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel StoutKentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.
Kentucky, United States
kentuckyale.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by bluejacket74 on 11-23-2012

Ratings: 1,126 |  Reviews: 198
3.39/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.11/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.84/5  rDev +7.6%

3.36/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I bought a bottle of this off the single shelf at Binnys. It poured an opaque black with no head and no lace. The scent had hints of bourbon and vanilla. The taste was nicely balanced and easy to drink. There was espresso with touch of bourbon. The Mouthfeel is lighter in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it's a decent stout.

3.5/5  rDev -2%

2.36/5  rDev -33.9%

I don't get it. I paid $14.99 for a four pack and this is really not good. Not sure what the buzz is about.

Smells decent. But VERY thin, hard to call it a stout. Kind of sweet finish and then...that's it. A big disappointment.

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle,into a Funky Buddha snifter.

Light khaki colored head with moderate retention.Black in color,with no light coming through the glass.

On the nose I get mostly dark roasted malts,and coffee,with slight chocolate notes.Absolutely NO bourbon whatsoever...Not necessarily a bad thing...We'll see on the palate.

On the palate get only dark roasted malts,and coffee.AGAIN absolutely no bourbon whatsoever...Again I don't think that's a bad thing,but I guess I have to deduct points,considering it is advertised as "bourbon barrel aged".

The body is medium / heavy,with a pretty smooth finish.

I personally think this is a pretty good stout,I'm not a huge fan of beers with too much bourbon flavor.But I guess since it is advertised as bourbon barrel aged,and it has none of those characteristics I will have to deduct points off the overall score...Damn shame because this is a pretty damn good stout.

3.75/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.29/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.07/5  rDev -14%

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours dark black with decent head that soon fizzles away
Aroma is of dark malts, coffee, dark chocolate and hints of bourbon

Taste is of dark chocolates, coffee, vanilla, and a little bit of bourbon

This beer is really good tasting, a little bit light and carbonated then what you'd expect from a stout. I could see myself getting another. Given its a bourbon barrel aged stout I expected a lot more notes of bourbon that could have really set this thing off

4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

I have no idea why this is rated so low. I am having it at Midway airport on draft and it tastes as good as Founders Breakfast stout. Smooth, tasty, dark. Maybe a but expensive here, but worth it.

4.02/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.31/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a very dark brown almost black in color with a creme head that leaves a nice lacing on the glass. Notes of coffee, bourbon and vanilla on the nose. Upon tasting, you get the coffee up front and the bourbon on the back end. While this beer is good, I expected a lot more for as much as it costs.

3.42/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

355ml bottle / 8.0%

I just tried the boirbon barrel aged ale from this brewery and was a bit disappointed - especially with how it looked so I gave this a big pour; hardly any head, no film, no lacing but a fairly nice dark brown colour.

Lots and lots of coffee on the nose and a little cola.

Palate is coffee and n ot a lot else. Mouth is thin.

Disappointing.

3.79/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2.67/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Weird, different, hard to describe beer that I've always wanted to try never did at the asking price but finally got the chance to courtesy of the $13 7 Pak Weis special.

Bottom line, I liked it would drink again but no more than $2 a bottle. Standard black little crimson highlighting. Smell real hard to describe but I like, malts,'hops, little oak. Tastes good, very hoppy, smooth and mouthfeel appropriate for the listed (here) 8%. Really? ABV not on the bottle I'd guess 6% but followed an 16oz Trogenator so you know I'm good.

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I have really been negligent when it comes to the bottles here at Chez Woody to the point that I am really making an effort to divest myself of them & move onto new & different things in CANs. I am amazed at some of the things that I am finding! This one sounds really good.

From the bottle: "Stout brewed with coffee and aged in oak barrels with Haitian coffee". Ooooh.

The Pop!ping of the cap only seemed to signify great events in the future. I went with a gentle pour due to the small glass that I had standing by. An in-glass swirl raised a brief finger of foamy, fizzy, deep-tan/light-brown head with low retention, quickly falling to a skim of wisps. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose was rich, with notes of chocolate, bourbon, oak, coffee, leather, black currants, raisins and light smoke. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not thick on the tongue, but on the approach. The taste did not live up to the nose, however. The burnt smokiness of the coffee overwhelmed everything in its path. The oak and bourbon flavors were barely perceptible through the intensity of the coffee. How sad. Finish was dry, but more of a burnt, smoky dryness than one from hops. This needs improvement and I would begin by reducing the amount of coffee in the equation. Otherwise, aging it in oak barrels becomes an almost moot point. I like the innovation, but not the execution. I would be willing to give it another try, but assurances of changes/tweaks would need to be made in advance.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.
Beer rating: 3.57 out of 5 with 1,126 ratings