Belikin Beer | Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.

Belikin BeerBelikin Beer

Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.
Belize

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-09-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 48 | Ratings: 127

Not going to lie; this one was probably influenced by the surroundings where I had it. From tropical beaches to dark rainforests, Belikin followed me throughout my week long trip to Belize. A very enjoyable beer that just might lose its charm when consumed stateside.

3.95/5  rDev +34.8%

For an AML this isn't all that bad. And if I were in Belize, I'd look for this one. That said, it's not my thang.

Pours straw pale, nice fluffy head. Looks like a macro lager for sure.

Aroma is straw and non-sweet pear. Bubbly in the nose. Yup, bubbly..

The flavor has a bit of a filminess to it. The pear is the best I can come up with. Not very sweet. Some corn and vegital. Green corn husk.

Again, if in Belize, sure. Distribution is cutting down in Denver so probably won't see this one around much any more.

3.8/5  rDev +29.7%

This is all we drank in belize, but it leaves good memories.

Appearance: yellow beer, bottle is thick and heavier than the average, because they recycle the bottles. nice painted bottles.

Smell: pleasant, lightly floral

Taste: lightly floral, but pleasant

Mouthfeel: well carbonated light bodied.

Overall: a memorable beer, but still an average beer that is just..well different.

3.7/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was very surprised by this Belizian lager! The beer is very fresh and smooth. It has a normal lager aroma, nothing out of the ordinary, normal amounts of carbonation, head. Where this beer truly surprised me was the extra smooth taste. It seems to be brewed with pure water and has a sort of a sweet taste to it. I found myself finishing this bottle in just a few minutes! This beer is definitely a surprise! Pick one up.

3.68/5  rDev +25.6%

Ahhh, the first of both bottles I managed to bring back with me from a cruise that took us through the beautiful country of Belize!

A- The initial pour produces a chill hazed grassy colored brew, that shows off plenty of carbonation. The head is quite impressive, starting off about two fingers thick, and quickly settling down to a half inch frothy layer over the beer. There is some lacing...actually much better than I would have initially imagined, leaving traces of patchy foam clinging to my Peroni glass. Decent looking for an AAL!

S- There is some malt sweetness mixed in with the expected grainy, grassy aromas. Also, there is some pleasant hop bitterness right on the finish that actually makes this smell like something of substance!

T- Yup, I'd have to agree with another reviewer here that there is some floral/herbal notes within the flavor. Along with this, there is some malt blended with cleaner adjuncts...rice in particular. The finish is of moderate hop bitterness, and interestingly enough, the flavor takes on a honeyed quality after the swallow as the carbonation pops on the palate. Quite nice overall!

M- Light bodied, which should be expected for this style, but also because of where it comes from. The carbonation is plentiful and palate scrubbing but not offensive. Overall, this area is exactly what I thought it should be....

O- All in all I feel that this is a very decent lager! Its better than most standard fare and I think it is a perfect hot weather beach beer, as I had the pleasure of enjoying in that exact scenario! Flavorful, thirst quenching and overall an appealing brew! Cheers!

3.61/5  rDev +23.2%

My review is based on the AAL style guidelines.

A: Bright, clear golden yellow color. Poured a 1 finger fizzy white head with some retention to a thin skim. Decanted continually. No lacing.

S: Sweet corn. Slight crackery malt character. Faint hay and grass noble hop aromas.

T: Slightly sweet, very subdued malt character. Mellow noble hops for an even bitter. Clean finish.

M: Light body. Ample carbonation. Crisp, clean and refreshing. Good balance.

D: Good for the style. Nothig wrong; its just such a nondescript style.

3.57/5  rDev +21.8%

I recently sampled this beer quite heavily while on a cruise vacation stop in Belize. My friends and I found a quaint little restaurant right on the water and drank on this for a couple of hours. This is a beer I could really get used to. It has a pleasant hoppy aroma true to the style and the taste was only average but tolerable. The best part about this beer is that is incerdibly easy to drink. I must have had like 6 by myself, which made the walk in the heat a bit difficult. BTW, is this beer available at all in the states?

3.5/5  rDev +19.5%

Found this brew while on a stop in Belize during our vacation cruise. I had this brew at a few of the stops we made during a tour. Must say that this brew was a welcome change from most of the Mexican brews we experienced during earlier stops. This beer has some character, which was shocking! Has a nice white to off-white head that was gone very fast and lead to hardly any lacing with a golden yellow color. The taste has some hop characteristics to it, which was a pleasant surprise. The taste was a little skunky but not bad compared to most of the other Mexican brews I have experienced. Only thing I can say is that I would love to be back in the Belize sun doing some snorkeling while knowing that I had a few of these waiting for me!

Note: Higher Drinkability due to the conditions!

3.49/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Only beer widely available in Belize. Weird that no American adjuncts (esp Budweiser) or even Heinken were available anywhere. That being said I was happy to drink this all week on beaches and in rainforests. A good refreshing lager with a little more hop profile than many adjuncts. But yeah, I'll admit the surroundings may have influenced my opinion. It comes in a heavy duty bottle and it always seemed like I had another 2-3 sips.

3.45/5  rDev +17.7%

Ok, so this isn't an amazing craft beer by any means, but considering I drank this in the middle of the jungle from a grass shack/hut for $1 it was surprisingly good.

A: Looks like bud

S: Dirty bottle and rusty cap made aroma a bit hard to discern.

T: Light, fizzy, but a decent maltiness. No hop aroma, but enough for balance.

M: Fizzy, watery.

D: In the hot jungle... VERY

This won't win any awards, but considering I thought it was a good site better than our American standard mass market lagers I thinks it's A-OK.

3.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Seems more flavorful than the average industrial lager.

Has the coarse big-bubbles look with a quickly-dissipating head. But creamy in the mouth for a quick gulp, which is probably its intended purpose. Light golden in the glass. Surprising herbal flavor that is quite pleasant, given the expectations. Grassy, with a touch of hops. Hint of meadow fragrance. Has a modest charm, and it's good to know they make something in Belize.

Collectors: Belikin now comes in the swell printed-on-the-bottle label (like Rolling Rock). Says "Beer" proudly on the neck.

3.23/5  rDev +10.2%

"The Beer of Belize" looks good enough: a decently creamy aspirin-white head tops a pale light-gold liquid. The green bottle shows a Mayan temple, and lists the brewery's stout beer percentage along with the lager's on the back. The head was surprisingly consistent and healthy, small-bubbled and large. The aroma is buttery and sweet, with a good maltiness. The butter note is quite strong, but I did not mind it, because it leads to some butterscotch and candied aromas. Other than some balancing hops, there is little else of note in the smell. Light malt with a little hop dryness at the end describes the flavour profile. Malt predominates in the mouth, and again I get some buttery flavours. The aftertaste is decent enough: fresh graininess, a lack of any adjunct taste, and a hint of dusty hops. Mouthfeel is a little watery, but still, the body is medium, and the carbonation is rather low, increasing Belikin's drinkability. Not exceptionally rewarding, but this is worth trying at least once.

3.22/5  rDev +9.9%

A - Poured out a clear, pale, straw-yellow color with a small, short-lived head of fizzy white head. It left little to no lacing.

S - It smelled of caramel, grains and floral notes.

T - It tasted of sweet caramel with grains and bread crust. There is a subtle bitterness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light bodied lager with a clean finish.

O - This is a nice lager. I'm glad I finally got to try it.

3.21/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

a- bottle poured into a pint, one plus finger of bright white head, clear light lemon coloring, nice carbonation.

s- adjunct-y, grain, light hops, light lemon, some grass.

t- 'not terrible, surprisingly' - not the most encouraging words to start off a review but thats how i have it transcribed in my notes. still adjunct like but some light hops shine through, lightly bittered, some grain.

m- light but not overly watery.

d- okay, i belize i would drink this again if given the chance - yeah, pun intended.

3.2/5  rDev +9.2%

Thanks to E&K for bringing back this surprise central american beer! Serendipitous 01OCT11 date on the bottle. "Brewery Fresh"

Poured out of a 284mL bottle into a wine glass.
Pale straw gold color, thin layer of white foam, about a quarter inch in width. Fizzy foam lasts for a few minutes, eventually fading to a thin island of skim floating in the center.

Wet barley, honey, hint of grassiness. Pretty plain and nondescript, thankfully no off notes.

Taking a few swigs, it's surprisingly bitter and grassy. Some cracker and honey notes, very brief flavors with a drying finish. Fairly effervescent and crisp. Clean and dry, simple beery flavors, take it or leave it. In the sweltering heat of the tropics, this beer has to be a godsend.

3.2/5  rDev +9.2%

Pretty much like an American macro -- although with a little more body and hp presence.

ALthough a self-proclaimed beer snob, I found drinking the beer enjoyable (obviously because of the lack of alternatives) primarily because of the heat and the freshness of the beer.

Yes, freshness matters -- especially when you are drinking macro lagers

3.18/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had a ton of these in bottle in Belize

L: Pours a medium golden yellow, clear, with thick white head.

S: Malts and veggie... a little hops detectable. Cut grass.

T/F: Pretty standard adjunct lager but reasonably drinkable. Not a strong flavor profile, but malts there to taste and some grains/grass like flavors. Mild hops at the finish. Carbonated and easy to drink.

O: An inoffensive lager that's easy to drink on the beach. Not a lot of flavor, but above average and certainly no worse than a Budweiser. Refreshing enough in the Caribbean heat and humidity.

3.17/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a glass from a thick green capped bottle holding an odd 284 ml. Pours golden straw with a light bubbly head, offering short retention yet some light lacing as a surface cap can be regenerated with a light spin.

Lots of corny adjuncts on the nose yet somewhat inviting given the deeper malt structure. A somewhat rich nose with a muddled hop presence. Another tropical brew that celebrates the maize.

Taste is rather sweet yet robust enough in complexity, particularly on the finish. Decent feel with a good level of carbonation throughout the glass. Holds up to a bit of warming. Average drinkability given that the beer might become somewhat cloying if sessioned from the simple sweetness offered.

3.1/5  rDev +5.8%

Had my honeymoon in Belize recently. Belikin is the national beer of Belize and pretty much the only beer you're going to find at local restaurants. Comes in a very cool longneck bottle with distinctive Mayan temple art on the front.

A - light, straw gold. Bright white, tightly compacted, bubbly head. Retreats to a ring quickly, no lacing.

S - aroma of standard American 'premium' macro lagers. A little bit of noble hop spiciness in there, but not much. Aroma is primarily of DMS, corn, some toasty malt notes.

T - moderate to light noble hop bitterness, aftertaste of corn, tart toasted malt. Tastes very similar to regular Coors but with slightly more hop and malt flavor. Has that domestic American lager 'twang.'

M - thin bodied, carbonation medium to medium high. Tingles your tongue a bit.

D - well . . . this is not my favorite style of beer, but when you're in Belize and this is pretty much your only choice for fresh beer, you deal with it. On a hot day, after being at the beach or snorkling, it's not too bad. Refreshing and light. A step up from your standard American macro lager, but not by a leap. If you're going down there, stick to the rum. Belize boasts dozens of locally produced rums which are all excellent.

3.08/5  rDev +5.1%

12 ounce bottle, it's stamped with 1/10/08 on it, I have no idea if it's the best by or bottled on date. It was stored in a cooler/"beer cave" (Party Source, Bellevue, KY), so the beer should be in good shape. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a straw gold color with a half inch white head. Lacing and head retention are both average. It smells like sweet malt and grain/corn. Not much else in the aroma of this beer, and there aren't any hops at all that I can notice. The taste is the same as the aroma, sweet malt and grain/corn. On the bright side, there aren't any offensive aromas or tastes to this beer. Mouthfeel/body is light, but it's not watery either. Drinkability is good, because it's not offensive I could have quite a few of these. I'd rather drink this than Miller Lite or Coors Light, that's for sure. Yeah, it's not a great beer (or even good), but you could certainly do worse. For the style it's not bad at all.

3.03/5  rDev +3.4%

This was the official beer of my honeymoon for the simple reason that my wife and I chose to vacation in Belize. Belize has only one brewery and this is the official beer of the entire country. The Mayan temple (Altun Ha) is visible absolutely everywhere in the country, attached to bar and restaurant signs on every street in every town, billboards, and just about everything else. There is no competition.

Bland color, no head. Corny, nothing, smell. Grainy, slightly bitter taste. Mouthfeel is smooth and mild. I drank dozens of these in the jungle and beach heat so I'd have to say it's drinkable.

As you might expect, no competition does not a great beer make. Due to the circumstances, I'll always have a fondness for it if I should ever see it Stateside but I cannot recommend this generic macrononsense.

I travelled to Belize for Spring Break in 2013, I drank quite a few Belikin Beers while I was there to say the least. Unlike most of the surrounding countries whose main beers are American Adjunct style this splendid little beer is a pale lager. It pours light golden, little head, it has a somewhat strong aroma, and has light hops taste. The bottle is pretty cool in itself, pretty heavy duty, because they recycle most of the class bottles continuously.

Belize City/Punta Gorda/San Ignacio March 2013

Pours a deep gold with a white head. Head falls to nothing. Very thin lace.

Sweet corn and malt aroma. Bit of a sour, musty smell.

Macro lager taste. Rather sweet malts and grains. Bit funky, not in a good way.

Rather thin in the mouth, maybe a bit more body that I would have thought.

Average tropical lager. Has it's own unique flavor but nothing special here. Works fine on a hot day though.

This one, as far as I know, isn't yet available in the Durham/Raleigh, but it may be soon. I was given this sample bottle by a local distributor's rep.

It pours a light golden with a short-lived head of lean white bubbles. They don't last long, but a few cling to the edge of the glass for the duration, which is a tad impressive for the style. There's not much of an aroma here; it's just a bit of grain with a subtle hint of fruitiness and corn. Corn certainly is noticeable in the flavor, with nearly every other character taking a distant back seat. A bit of sweetness occurs on the front. Oddly, there is a bit of body here, and the finish is strangely satisfying, especially as the warming alcohol lingers. This isn't something I expected. Average, all around.

2.98/5  rDev +1.7%

Recently had this and took notes (yes, I am a true beer geek) while on a cruise. I wasn't expecting to land on the resort island and get a new brew to try in Belize.

A 12 ounce bottle poured into a glass reveals a fairly standard lager appearence with a decent amount of head. My first sip of this brew was a nice relief from the mostly boring, bland beers of Mexico. Belikin has a very caramelly taste up front that fades to more less a standard macro lager flavor in the end. Kind of reminded me of a Vienna Lager, but the balance was somewhat off. Unfortunately, the excessive caramel sweetness that nails the palatte up front starts to get old after just a couple of these. Not a terrible brew, but defenitely not something I would choose if I went back to Belize again.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Belikin Beer from Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.