Belikin Beer | Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.

Belikin BeerBelikin Beer

Belize

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-09-2003

4.5/5  rDev +51%

Not going to lie; this one was probably influenced by the surroundings where I had it. From tropical beaches to dark rainforests, Belikin followed me throughout my week long trip to Belize. A very enjoyable beer that just might lose its charm when consumed stateside.

3.8/5  rDev +27.5%

This is all we drank in belize, but it leaves good memories.

Appearance: yellow beer, bottle is thick and heavier than the average, because they recycle the bottles. nice painted bottles.

Smell: pleasant, lightly floral

Taste: lightly floral, but pleasant

Mouthfeel: well carbonated light bodied.

Overall: a memorable beer, but still an average beer that is just..well different.

3.7/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was very surprised by this Belizian lager! The beer is very fresh and smooth. It has a normal lager aroma, nothing out of the ordinary, normal amounts of carbonation, head. Where this beer truly surprised me was the extra smooth taste. It seems to be brewed with pure water and has a sort of a sweet taste to it. I found myself finishing this bottle in just a few minutes! This beer is definitely a surprise! Pick one up.

3.69/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev +23.5%

Ahhh, the first of both bottles I managed to bring back with me from a cruise that took us through the beautiful country of Belize!

A- The initial pour produces a chill hazed grassy colored brew, that shows off plenty of carbonation. The head is quite impressive, starting off about two fingers thick, and quickly settling down to a half inch frothy layer over the beer. There is some lacing...actually much better than I would have initially imagined, leaving traces of patchy foam clinging to my Peroni glass. Decent looking for an AAL!

S- There is some malt sweetness mixed in with the expected grainy, grassy aromas. Also, there is some pleasant hop bitterness right on the finish that actually makes this smell like something of substance!

T- Yup, I'd have to agree with another reviewer here that there is some floral/herbal notes within the flavor. Along with this, there is some malt blended with cleaner adjuncts...rice in particular. The finish is of moderate hop bitterness, and interestingly enough, the flavor takes on a honeyed quality after the swallow as the carbonation pops on the palate. Quite nice overall!

M- Light bodied, which should be expected for this style, but also because of where it comes from. The carbonation is plentiful and palate scrubbing but not offensive. Overall, this area is exactly what I thought it should be....

O- All in all I feel that this is a very decent lager! Its better than most standard fare and I think it is a perfect hot weather beach beer, as I had the pleasure of enjoying in that exact scenario! Flavorful, thirst quenching and overall an appealing brew! Cheers!

3.61/5  rDev +21.1%

My review is based on the AAL style guidelines.

A: Bright, clear golden yellow color. Poured a 1 finger fizzy white head with some retention to a thin skim. Decanted continually. No lacing.

S: Sweet corn. Slight crackery malt character. Faint hay and grass noble hop aromas.

T: Slightly sweet, very subdued malt character. Mellow noble hops for an even bitter. Clean finish.

M: Light body. Ample carbonation. Crisp, clean and refreshing. Good balance.

D: Good for the style. Nothig wrong; its just such a nondescript style.

3.6/5  rDev +20.8%

3.57/5  rDev +19.8%

I recently sampled this beer quite heavily while on a cruise vacation stop in Belize. My friends and I found a quaint little restaurant right on the water and drank on this for a couple of hours. This is a beer I could really get used to. It has a pleasant hoppy aroma true to the style and the taste was only average but tolerable. The best part about this beer is that is incerdibly easy to drink. I must have had like 6 by myself, which made the walk in the heat a bit difficult. BTW, is this beer available at all in the states?

3.52/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

Found this brew while on a stop in Belize during our vacation cruise. I had this brew at a few of the stops we made during a tour. Must say that this brew was a welcome change from most of the Mexican brews we experienced during earlier stops. This beer has some character, which was shocking! Has a nice white to off-white head that was gone very fast and lead to hardly any lacing with a golden yellow color. The taste has some hop characteristics to it, which was a pleasant surprise. The taste was a little skunky but not bad compared to most of the other Mexican brews I have experienced. Only thing I can say is that I would love to be back in the Belize sun doing some snorkeling while knowing that I had a few of these waiting for me!

Note: Higher Drinkability due to the conditions!

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

Your basic pale lager, nothing fancy, just tastes good on a hot day in the tropics. This is the national beer of Belize and you will find it everywhere there. There are only one or two breweries in the country so they've pretty much got the market cornered. I like it better than Rolling Rock or Corona or other such equivalent beers though.

3.49/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Only beer widely available in Belize. Weird that no American adjuncts (esp Budweiser) or even Heinken were available anywhere. That being said I was happy to drink this all week on beaches and in rainforests. A good refreshing lager with a little more hop profile than many adjuncts. But yeah, I'll admit the surroundings may have influenced my opinion. It comes in a heavy duty bottle and it always seemed like I had another 2-3 sips.

3.45/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.45/5  rDev +15.8%

Ok, so this isn't an amazing craft beer by any means, but considering I drank this in the middle of the jungle from a grass shack/hut for $1 it was surprisingly good.

A: Looks like bud

S: Dirty bottle and rusty cap made aroma a bit hard to discern.

T: Light, fizzy, but a decent maltiness. No hop aroma, but enough for balance.

M: Fizzy, watery.

D: In the hot jungle... VERY

This won't win any awards, but considering I thought it was a good site better than our American standard mass market lagers I thinks it's A-OK.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

For what it is, this beer is great. Loved Belize!

Belikin Beer from Belize Brewing Co., Ltd.