Little Kings Cream Ale

Reviews: 190 | Ratings: 391 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by md3kcn:
md3kcn from North Carolina

1.96/5  rDev -35.5%

Purchased as an eight-pack of 7oz bottles from my nearest Marathon for $6.99. Poured into a red Solo cup.

L - Clear, light amber with a minimal pure-white head.
S - Freshly-baked biscuit, wheat, and mineral. Not too complex.
T - Slightly sweet wheat with a tart finish. A bit of honey. Faint hint of vanilla.
F - Crisp, clean, light, and refreshing. Lightly carbonated.
O - A refreshing beer in a unique bottle set. Perfect for lighter summer meals, but not much else. Not a very complex beer, either. Will probably buy again sometime in the summer for picnics or fishing trips.

May 03, 2021
GCB68 from Ohio

2.09/5  rDev -31.3%

It's known as "Little Killers" for a reason. Many years ago, I broke my hand and another time I soiled myself while drinking this stuff. It's a little harsh.

Oct 17, 2015
StonedTrippin from Colorado

3.07/5  rDev +1%

you know, occasionally, and very occasionally, i like to deviate from the craft beer i love so much for a little refresher course about why i spend so much time and money and energy on this passion of mine, and its beer like this that serves that purpose so well. classic cheap cream ale in a cute little package. its got a mild skunk to the nose, but other than that is an extremely passable macro tasting brew, malty enough in a light pils sort of way, and not lacking in flavor at all. it has a little body, wonderfully refreshing carbonation, and a pretty snappy finish, a fine refresher overall. its honestly not very good, but its also not all that bad, especially when judged against its peers. what it doesnt have though is any real hop profile, anything unique or interesting, an appreciable yeast character, or any capacity to hold my attention or inspire me in any way whatsoever. craft beer has and does at least most of those things most of the time, and thats why i love it so much, it makes me think and it makes me move, and im not sure what i would be mentally or physically if this is the kind of beer i drank all the time. i dont hate it, i am actually thankful for it today for reminding me again why i am so into craft beer. this though, is well enough crafted that i just might buy it again someday!

Dec 17, 2014
KYGunner from Kentucky

2.5/5  rDev -17.8%

The nose is light Pilsner style malt with some grassy tones and a fruity bubblegum-like aroma.

The flavor is a bit on the cracker Pilsner malt with so grassy grainy tones. There's a bit of sweetness a corn pop cereal finish.

This certainly is easy to drink and makes for a pretty good beer to start with.

Dec 07, 2014
BeerAdvocate from California

3.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #48 (Jan 2011):

A retro brand looking for another heyday. Bubbly white lace crackles a bit but stays a true, clear, pale yellow color. Clean nose of sweet cooked corn and subtle grassy grain. Light fluffy body with a snappy crispness. Kiss of sweet- ness to start, with cooked veggies and a bready undertone. Muted hops just provide a balancing bitterness. Hint of alcohol and twang of fermented grain. Clean dry finish. It is what it is. A no-frills brewski that is easy to put down if you're into lighter-styled beers. This beer also told us that it should be paired with chili cheese dogs.

Mar 23, 2011
Skywave from Oklahoma

3.2/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Another "lost review" (one that I swear I reviewed on BA a long time ago but it's not there).

Pours to a thick white head that makes fish eye bubbles and pale gold color. Aroma is sweet, corny and slightly fruity. Flavor is the same. Mouthfeel is light and tingly. Pretty decent cream ale.

Jan 10, 2015
leprechaunandfatman from Ohio

3.19/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bought this simply because my mom has always talked about having Little Kings when she was younger but it was turned out to be much more drinkable than I expected. It's a bit light on the taste and is expectedly light in color and feel but the taste isn't bad at all and is actually quite smooth. When compared to most of the other non-craft offerings I've had, I'll take a Little Kings everyday.

Dec 21, 2014
Illini5596 from Ohio

3.28/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

An interesting local oddity, the flavor is somewhat interesting, but it isn't a great beer by any regard. Some lingering creaminess if you imagine really hard.

Jan 19, 2015
Caveworm from Ohio

3.47/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Little Kings Cream Ale from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. is what alot of the old timers here in Stark County, Ohio used to chill with back in the day. Figured I'd give this a try in my early 20's... The very cool,small 7 oz bottles are certainly the first brew I've ever seen in a bottle so small. Poured from two bottles into a glass, this brew has little head that disappears rather quickly. However, the lacing is impressive, thus amping up the extra quarter point in this division. Medium, clear golden body.

The smell has a minute amount more malt than most ales I've experienced. Besides that, fairly neutral here.

Same here with the taste, I got an initial smack of malt flavor, and it went away in midswallow . Absolutely no lingering elements whatsoever,and a delightfully clean finish for an ale that has such a malt-like presence to it. I like this aspect of the brew, for reasons that escape even myself.

I give the mouthfeel a 4 dude to the fact that this is so crisp and clean going down. Very impressive for a brew over 5% ABV, in my opinion anyways.

Overall a respectable 3.75 . I didn't find one thing offensive about this brew and again the clean finish was very liked by yours truly

May 31, 2014
daliandragon from Maryland

3.4/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I have been visiting southwest Ohio for two decades so I have more than a passing acquaintance with the little green bottles.

Looks and smells more or less mediocre but has a medium biscuit note and a pleasant, smooth character.

Very easy to put down in quantity. Interesting regional oddity, but inoffensive and tasty In its understated way.

Feb 19, 2017
joe1510 from Illinois

3.19/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

7oz Bottle
$5.99 - 8-pack
Westside Liquors - Morris, IL

Little Kings, the beer of vertically challenged royalty. It's purty and makes my hands look big. A 24kt glimmering gold concoction, Little Kings is. It's ultimately clear with explosive effervescence. The pure white head crackles and snaps on the pour but quickly fades to nothing but a roiling center of carbonation and a barely there ring. The body looks like beer should, the foam doesn't.

It's got a little skunk, I'll give it that, part of it's oddball charm as far as I'm concerned. It's a simple beverage. Green apple and clean, freshly cracked barley. It smells cold and wet but with that said, there's more character than your run of the mill cheapo from the liquor spot. It's lively and bright and somehow comforting. I dig it for what it is, but I'm an accepting person.

The nose was hiding some of that essence that the flavor possesses. Granny Smith gets it going with a doughy maltiness. It's clean. It's vibrant for it's purpose. Softly sweet, freshly cracked barley runs the middle. It's a little light struck, again charm. I like this beer.

The body shows off some plush. It's moderate in weight with a creamy feel and soft airiness. There's a touch of green apple like tartness and a barely distinguishable bitterness that a softly dry finish helps accentuate. Again, this beer is exactly where it should be for what it is.

Little Kings, it's not a world beater. What it is, is an enjoyable respite from the much drank craft beer. Coming from a long established brewery that's still pumping out the same concoction and not trying to mess with tradition, this beer is approachable, fun, and not a bad drink in the least. Gimme more.

Feb 16, 2018
JustLikeMyDad from Michigan

2.81/5  rDev -7.6%

Didn't bother pouring this little one into a glass.

Smells sweet, even creamy as the style implies.

Tastes slightly skunky with a sweetness to balance the bitter that could be there.

Smooth, not thin or watery, not too bold, medium bodied.

Overall, tasty little thing.

Oct 08, 2016
nhungcam from Virginia

Very first beer I ever drank and hooked ever since.

great sunrise golden color

Smooth, slight sweet fruity action on the end

All and all as good as I remember.

Nov 04, 2014
Amp from Oklahoma

2.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Dec 27, 2011
mrfrancis from Kentucky

Jul 01, 2013
tdm168 from Pennsylvania

3.52/5  rDev +15.8%

A - dark copper with a short-lived, bubbly, white head; there are a ton of carbonation bubbles rising to the top

S - cereal grains

T - cereal grains, a bit sweet, a little grassy

M - light bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This is a light, very sessionable beer that can replace and American lager. There's just enough flavor to keep you interested and a light body that allows you to put away several of these little bottles.

Sep 24, 2012
Jugs_McGhee from Texas

2.07/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Initial impression from a cute lil 7oz green bottle I nabbed an 8 pack of at a Colorado beer store for $6 USD:

Sulfur off-flavour drags down the grainy flavour profile, but there's no diacetyl off-flavour and it's not syrupy or watery. DMS off-flavour is indicated by the presence of overt cooked vegetable flavour...this isn't great. I'm also getting some metallic and possibly lightstruck/skunked off-flavour. Mineral water and cheap 6-row barley fill out this medium-bodied assertively carbonated brew.

Not as drinkable as I hoped, but hey - it's only 7oz per serving. Pretty bad across the board, if we're being fair. This is what I get for cheating on Genny...

D (2.07) / NOT RECOMMENDED

Sep 29, 2017
TheKingofWichita from North Carolina

3.14/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a golden yellow color with a tiny little white head (no more than a rim) and absolutely no lacing. Smells of creamed corn and very sweet. Very one note on taste sweet and a lot like corn with a little balanced bitterness. Mouthfeel is nice and drinkability is high.

Nov 22, 2010
wallaceandvomit from Florida

2.95/5  rDev -3%

never had a cream beer before so i decided to grab some Little Kings and give it a shot. I'm drinking it straight out of the bottle so i dont know how much head and etc there is but based on drinking it, there's not much head, lacing, etc .. basically this beer doesnt need a review, it just needs to be known as a very slightly creamy sweet version of Heineken without that Heiny aftertaste. If its cheap and you just want to pound some beers that go down easily and stay that way for a while, go for it.

Sep 17, 2010

2.75/5  rDev -9.5%

Apr 05, 2012
HUXC from New York

2.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Serving Type- Served from a chilled 7 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Standard ale look. Light golden straw appearance with about a half of a fingers worth of white head. The lacing that the head leaves on the brim of the glass quickly dissipates.

Smell- If blindfolded I could swear that there was a stale Heineken in front of me. The ale also has a hint of sweet corn aroma.

Taste- Knowing that it was a cream ale, and having never tried a cream ale my brain told me to expect something along the lines of a cream soda. I was sorely mistaken. After getting over my mishap and sampled the beer for what it was I got a rather mild foretaste and a sweat corn like flavor aftertaste. No hop or bittering flavor to speak of.

Mouthfeel- Not a really carbonated ale, goes down crisp and smooth, no bite what so ever. Almost exactly like cold water.

Overall- Overall due to its size I can't really take this ale seriously. To me it seemed more like a party favor rather then a refreshing alcoholic beverage. This being my first cream ale I can't say I was too impressed with it. Perhaps I bought a skunked batch, but what ever the case I don't think I'd purchase this again.

Apr 13, 2011
djdrdave from Ohio

4.45/5  rDev +46.4%

Has a sweet flavor and has won several awards. I like the 7 oz bottle for some reason. I give it an A because it is unique. I wouldn't drink it every day, but like it for the winter time, or even as a quick beer to sip with dinner.

Not sure I've had any other cream ales, but I brewed a Little Kings clone one time, that didn't turn out good, so I recommend to just buy it.

Jan 26, 2011
Dope from Massachusetts

3.08/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Pours a hazy amber with a small fizzy white head. Head fizzes out pretty quickly, decent retention at least. Little dots and splotches of lacing here and there.

S: Sweet grainy malt. Has an interesting corn and wet hay aroma.

T: Mild, inoffensive and sweet grains. Again with the vegetal corn flavor.

M: Light-medium bodied. Pretty plain. Lower carbonation.

O: Well, it's a cream ale. Pretty simple, pretty sweet. Almost too sweet. No bitterness or hop flavors at all it appears. It pretty much tastes like an extra-sweet budweiser.

Jul 10, 2013
beergoot from Colorado

3.22/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Found a seven ounce bottle at Cheers Liquor in Colorado Springs while building my own six-pack. I haven't had one of these since my younger days back in Ohio...

Good golden color with a big, fizzy white head that quickly receded to wispy, light top on the beer. The smell is typical light grain and/or corn aromas; grass-like. Light grains and cereal flavors with a touch of bitterness in the background. The feel is medium-light and fairly effervescent; clean, crisp, dry.

Little Kings weren't one of my "go to" beers back in the 70s and 80s (although Robin Hood Cream Ale was always a "treat"!), and not because I didn't like 'em, but probably because the bottles were too small for my beer guzzling tastes. Well, if the current edition is similar to those old days, than I can say this is a decent enough ale. Nothing spectacular per se, flavorful and refreshing enough to go back and have some more.

Feb 09, 2013
Little Kings Cream Ale from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 71 out of 100 with 391 ratings