Little Kings Cream Ale | Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Little Kings Cream AleLittle Kings Cream Ale

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
hudepohlbeer.com

Style: Cream Ale

Added by stirgy on 08-19-2001

4.9/5  rDev +64.4%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a VERY thin head that dissipates instantly. Has a creamy-like lacing.

Smell - Coriander for sure.. Sweet with notes of bread, corn, and cream soda.

Taste - Quite bitter.. Has a grassy flavor and corn, with a slight hint of caramel. The creamy aftertaste is real good.

Mouthfeel - Thick bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall - I was a little skeptical at first trying a cream ale.. turns out I love it.

4.5/5  rDev +51%

A classic. The seven ounce bottles are genius. They go down so quick. Cream ale taste is a good wrinkle on 60s/70s style big productions beers.

4.45/5  rDev +49.3%

Has a sweet flavor and has won several awards. I like the 7 oz bottle for some reason. I give it an A because it is unique. I wouldn't drink it every day, but like it for the winter time, or even as a quick beer to sip with dinner.

Not sure I've had any other cream ales, but I brewed a Little Kings clone one time, that didn't turn out good, so I recommend to just buy it.

4.29/5  rDev +44%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +42.6%

4.24/5  rDev +42.3%

4.2/5  rDev +40.9%

4.13/5  rDev +38.6%

I picked an 8-pack of these up a few weeks ago at Spec's when I saw it back on the shelf after a LONG TIME being gone...like 10 years or so. You don't get too many cream ales in these here parts, so I thought that I would give it a try. I am pouring two bottles into my 0.5l glass stein for review.

Appearance: Pours a very clear yellow golden color with a small head of tight white bubbles sitting on top maintained by a number of bubbles rising. Even a few minutes after the pour, there is still a head on top of it. Even ten minutes after the pour, there was still a very creamy head standing on top.

Aroma: I initially got a good bit of corn and other malts in there along with some fresh floral hops. Even though the beer is in a green bottle, it doesn't smell like it has been light struck. As the beer warms up some, the hops is starting to come out more and the malt is also taking on a more honey-like profile.

Taste: The flavor is also very clean and balanced toward the malt in the finish. There is some evident hops in the flavor, but they fade pretty quickly to let the malt lead the way into the finish. The overall mouthfeel is really creamy with lots of carbonation so that it leaves a defined mark on your palate on the way by. The beer is light to medium bodied even though it stays pretty crisp all the way through. It has an interesting mouthfeel overall.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer, and a good example of the style. I haven't minded drinking this 8-pack even a little bit. That said, I probably wouldn't drink this beer more than a few times a year, but I would certainly drink it again regularly. I would recommend it and hope that you get to try one that is as fresh as this one I am drinking now.

4.08/5  rDev +36.9%

Poured into a Samuel Adams Lager Glass.

A=Rather appealing rich straw gold with a slight (1/4") head for a minute or so.

S=Light smell of hops.

T=Very sweet--too sweet at the start--with the corn flavoring presence. But rather enjoyable near the end.

M=Neither too light or heavy...perhaps a bit lighter than I like.

D=Again, one needs to stick with this to the end...the 7 oz. serving makes it easier.

Good for a quick beer after a hot day--reminds me of the Old Styles and Old Milwaukees my dad used to drink.

4.07/5  rDev +36.6%

Pours a clear gloden straw hue, with a creamy two finger head. Good retention and light, spotty lacing. Light-struck aroma with background Pilsener malt, slight DMS aroma, and a hint of sulfer yeast. Sweet pale malt and mild dextrins upfront, with some sharp Pils and sweet corn notes. Drying aftertaste with a suggestion of spicy Tettnanger or Saaz hop flavor. Despite some distracting skunk taste, this shows balanced bitterness with a genuine pre-prohibition Pils malt character. The mouthfeel aids this effect with a gentle but ample carbonation and a light body that retains some sweetness and creamy texture. Goes down very smooth and highly quaffable, esecially given the smaller bottle. In the heat of summer, this would be my first choice for lunch out on the patio.

Very first beer I ever drank and hooked ever since.

great sunrise golden color

Smooth, slight sweet fruity action on the end

All and all as good as I remember.

3.93/5  rDev +31.9%

"Not Recomended" ??? Awww, c'mon, guys. This may not be the best beer in the world, but it's a good, clean, crisp beer that goes down easy. I used to buy these in the cute little 7-ounce bottles when I lived in Denver, and I could knock down ten of 'em on a hot Summer afternoon! A bit on the light side, but that's what made them so easy to knock off! And with those nifty little bottles, they never go flat or get warm. I wish I could buy them where I now live, in Arizona!

Little Kings Cream Ale from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.