Little Kings Cream Ale | Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Little Kings Cream AleLittle Kings Cream Ale

hudepohlbeer.com

Style: American Cream Ale

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 183 | Ratings: 374

If your buddy offers you one of these, politely decline then whip his ass. Another college beer. We drank it because it was cheap, the green bottles were cool, and it was cheap.

This is a smooth ale, full flavored, with a clean finish. I don’t understand how the rating system works, but I would give this beer my highest recommendation.

3.49/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

40 minutes ago, I barely finished this really complicated AIPA that just would not give me back my tastebuds.
Then, I opened Little Kings Cream Ale and within 4 seconds, my tastebuds were mine again. Palate cleaned.
Sometimes the way brewing used to be at mid-century is all my buds need for a retro-vacation. Then, we can get back to today's complicated world. That is the trip that Little Kings just took me on and for which I give them a high OA rating.

I like the lager character of this ale. Its crystal-clear Looks. It Smells mostly of of malt and, let's say, corn meal. Taste is just refreshing, particularly after a bitter-finishing AIPA. Bubbles help clean the palate.

Now that I know the antidote to an overly-bitter AIPA, I just might have Little Kings again !

1.63/5  rDev -46.4%

I have so many fine memories of this stuff, from the first time I had it at some metalhead party in high school. I loved it. This little seven-ounce bottles went down like the titanic and there was a seemingly endless supply.

What the hell happened to me?

Thirty-something years later, I see some at the liquor store and thinking only of those good times, nab some. I chill them and crack one open. Omg it was the foulest thing ever. Skunky? I had a friend who kept ferrets when I was a kid and the taste reminded me of of that scent, except much more powerful and in liquid form. It easily overpowered any taste of beer in the stuff. I don’t even know if I can cook with this stuff. I got old. I can only blame myself. My childhood is ruined and guessing I’ve also lost the taste for malt liquor somewhere in my youth. Oh, how I loved you, Little Kings, but alas, there’s no going back for us.

3.94/5  rDev +29.6%

My favorite mass produced beer. Quite skunky but not overwhelming in any way. This is a great beer and would highly recommend. This is also a unusually high rating for me when it comes to skunky beers but it deserves it. Now, if only they could make it in a 22oz bottle instead of 7oz.

3.13/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to Joe once again!

Little Kings pours as I'd expect. A polished golden royal crown, perfectly clear and shiny. That wispy white head you see disappears in a moment, yet champagne bubbles climb desperately to resurface without a glimmer of hope.

It smells just right... Sweet honey, loads of flowery hops, and a quintessential green bottle skunkiness that is absolutely welcomed.

The flavor is what you would expect, but then not. It has that Amsterdam simple sweetness and light struck and dried wildflower bitter balance, but an interesting white pepper and fish sauce (like you'd find in Vietnamese or Thai restaurants typically used for dipping appetizers in) finish it off. Sounds weird, but it works and is actually quite tasty.

It feels ultra crisp, well carbonated, and finishes very dry. It still has the lightest of oily feel as it makes its way across the tongue, and is remarkably balanced.

Little Kings, fit for those of royal decent with tiny appendages, is a beer. It's unpretentious. It's simple. You could drink 30 of them in one sitting. I'm an easy man to please when it comes to beer. I wouldn't buy this regularly, but I sure as hell wouldn't turn it down.

Let's have a couple hundred of these together Joe. Thanks again! Cheers.

3.19/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

7oz Bottle
$5.99 - 8-pack
Westside Liquors - Morris, IL

Little Kings, the beer of vertically challenged royalty. It's purty and makes my hands look big. A 24kt glimmering gold concoction, Little Kings is. It's ultimately clear with explosive effervescence. The pure white head crackles and snaps on the pour but quickly fades to nothing but a roiling center of carbonation and a barely there ring. The body looks like beer should, the foam doesn't.

It's got a little skunk, I'll give it that, part of it's oddball charm as far as I'm concerned. It's a simple beverage. Green apple and clean, freshly cracked barley. It smells cold and wet but with that said, there's more character than your run of the mill cheapo from the liquor spot. It's lively and bright and somehow comforting. I dig it for what it is, but I'm an accepting person.

The nose was hiding some of that essence that the flavor possesses. Granny Smith gets it going with a doughy maltiness. It's clean. It's vibrant for it's purpose. Softly sweet, freshly cracked barley runs the middle. It's a little light struck, again charm. I like this beer.

The body shows off some plush. It's moderate in weight with a creamy feel and soft airiness. There's a touch of green apple like tartness and a barely distinguishable bitterness that a softly dry finish helps accentuate. Again, this beer is exactly where it should be for what it is.

Little Kings, it's not a world beater. What it is, is an enjoyable respite from the much drank craft beer. Coming from a long established brewery that's still pumping out the same concoction and not trying to mess with tradition, this beer is approachable, fun, and not a bad drink in the least. Gimme more.

3.41/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I used to buy these as a college student in Indiana. Nothing special, but I do like the "cream ale" alternative to Malt Liquor or AAl on the low end of the beer spectrum. I wish it was available in larger bottles; the small bottles make it, ounce per ounce, less economical than it may be otherwise. If I ever come across these again, however, I will definitely get some for old time's sake.

3.89/5  rDev +28%

It is a distinctive taste, some would say lacking in refinement, but always a treat, especially in those 7 oz. bottles. There is no lingering over a bottle.

I used to be able to buy it at a major grocery store down the street in Houston. The grocery store was flooded and is gone. Is it still sold in Ohio and other places?

2.59/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - pretty cool little bottle. Definitely begs you to drink 8 of them, which coincidentally is the number they come in!
S - smells like green Apple, fusel alcohol, tangy crap
T - again green Apple, fusel alcohol, tangy
M - light, alcohol present at 5.5abv, aftertaste tangy green Apple
O - I have a soft spot for crappy cheap beers. I should have probably given it a lower score

2.76/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

not bad, not great, a solid 2.5 overall for me. Id drink it again if somebody put one in my hand but the pickings would have to be pretty slim for me to pull it off the shelf and stock my fridge with it.

2.07/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Initial impression from a cute lil 7oz green bottle I nabbed an 8 pack of at a Colorado beer store for $6 USD:

Sulfur off-flavour drags down the grainy flavour profile, but there's no diacetyl off-flavour and it's not syrupy or watery. DMS off-flavour is indicated by the presence of overt cooked vegetable flavour...this isn't great. I'm also getting some metallic and possibly lightstruck/skunked off-flavour. Mineral water and cheap 6-row barley fill out this medium-bodied assertively carbonated brew.

Not as drinkable as I hoped, but hey - it's only 7oz per serving. Pretty bad across the board, if we're being fair. This is what I get for cheating on Genny...

D (2.07) / NOT RECOMMENDED

3.53/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Fun little beer in 7 oz green bottle for about $0.60 to $1.00 a piece. Did not find it particularly "creamy" in feel at all. However, taste was interesting and good its way. It's on the sweeter side, but rather than being balanced by bitterness, it's balanced by skunkiness. Because of the skunkiness (and probably the green bottles too), it reminds me of Heineken, but goes down incredibly easy & smooth, with a body that's fuller than a light macro, but not at all heavy. Had it very cold. At just 7 oz, and as easy going as it is, I'm sure it's rare for these to ever get warm once they're open. Overall, not interesting enough to be a top choice, but very easy to finish and enjoyable enough that I'll probably try to have some around throughout the summer, especially when it's hot but I don't want a full 12 oz of something hoppy

3.34/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Two seven ounce bottles poured into a nonic pint glass. Beer and glass at same temperature. Nice golden amber with three fingers of rocky head that dissipates quickly. Little lacing. Smells of toasted bread, yeast and corn. Taste follows the nose with a surprisingly good combo of sweet malt and corn leading the way. Little to no hop bitter taste at all. Smooth as silk in the mouth. Funky little thing which is easy to drink all day at a BBQ. A fine beer that some beer snobs overlook. It ain't craft but it is good beer.

2.75/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

We used to get this in college for the high ABV.....never was a big fan of the taste, though. A different flavor from most of the brews of that day. Can't believe it is still made.

1.87/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Its a yellow, clear beer, with some light white foam that didn't last long. It smells skunky, a bit like a Heineken, it also tastes skunky. Mouthfeel is hard to judge when you're forcing yourself to swallow. Its not a cream ale, it tastes exactly like a low end european lager.

3.4/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I have been visiting southwest Ohio for two decades so I have more than a passing acquaintance with the little green bottles.

Looks and smells more or less mediocre but has a medium biscuit note and a pleasant, smooth character.

Very easy to put down in quantity. Interesting regional oddity, but inoffensive and tasty In its understated way.

2.64/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The bottle says it is a cream ale but it has a sour taste. It has a hazy golden color with no head and a slight aftertaste. A slight skunky smell with a smooth swallow.

2.81/5  rDev -7.6%

Didn't bother pouring this little one into a glass.

Smells sweet, even creamy as the style implies.

Tastes slightly skunky with a sweetness to balance the bitter that could be there.

Smooth, not thin or watery, not too bold, medium bodied.

Overall, tasty little thing.

2.09/5  rDev -31.3%

It's known as "Little Killers" for a reason. Many years ago, I broke my hand and another time I soiled myself while drinking this stuff. It's a little harsh.

3.63/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 7-ounce bottle into a plastic cup out of necessity. Aromas of corn, with a little grass and a little skunk. Taste is pleasantly sweet, finish is surprisingly dry. This was my brew of choice in my younger days, a little more flavorful than the light macros that were popular among my school chums. That said, I probably won't revisit it again. The memory is much better than the present-day reality.

3.28/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

An interesting local oddity, the flavor is somewhat interesting, but it isn't a great beer by any regard. Some lingering creaminess if you imagine really hard.

3.2/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Another "lost review" (one that I swear I reviewed on BA a long time ago but it's not there).

Pours to a thick white head that makes fish eye bubbles and pale gold color. Aroma is sweet, corny and slightly fruity. Flavor is the same. Mouthfeel is light and tingly. Pretty decent cream ale.

3.57/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Deviated from craft a little bit with this one and was so glad that I did. Was blown away by how well this stood up to other beers in the industry today. This retro brand still has it! And believe it or not this won a GABF medal in the past.

3.19/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bought this simply because my mom has always talked about having Little Kings when she was younger but it was turned out to be much more drinkable than I expected. It's a bit light on the taste and is expectedly light in color and feel but the taste isn't bad at all and is actually quite smooth. When compared to most of the other non-craft offerings I've had, I'll take a Little Kings everyday.

Little Kings Cream Ale from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.