Little Kings Cream Ale | Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Little Kings Cream AleLittle Kings Cream Ale

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
hudepohlbeer.com

Style: Cream Ale

Added by stirgy on 08-19-2001

3.4/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours yellow with a pretty big head that dissipates to a little ring and a little layer of bubbles.

Smells adjuncty with a lot of sweetness.

Honestly, the taste is pretty good. The start is a bit like corn with a honey and apple finish. Lots of sweetness throughout. Honestly, this tastes pretty good, but I've has better.

In the mouth this feels pretty average. Decent body and good carbonation.

This is almost dangerously drinkable, but it's not one of my favorites. For the style it's pretty good, though.

4.13/5  rDev +38.6%

I picked an 8-pack of these up a few weeks ago at Spec's when I saw it back on the shelf after a LONG TIME being gone...like 10 years or so. You don't get too many cream ales in these here parts, so I thought that I would give it a try. I am pouring two bottles into my 0.5l glass stein for review.

Appearance: Pours a very clear yellow golden color with a small head of tight white bubbles sitting on top maintained by a number of bubbles rising. Even a few minutes after the pour, there is still a head on top of it. Even ten minutes after the pour, there was still a very creamy head standing on top.

Aroma: I initially got a good bit of corn and other malts in there along with some fresh floral hops. Even though the beer is in a green bottle, it doesn't smell like it has been light struck. As the beer warms up some, the hops is starting to come out more and the malt is also taking on a more honey-like profile.

Taste: The flavor is also very clean and balanced toward the malt in the finish. There is some evident hops in the flavor, but they fade pretty quickly to let the malt lead the way into the finish. The overall mouthfeel is really creamy with lots of carbonation so that it leaves a defined mark on your palate on the way by. The beer is light to medium bodied even though it stays pretty crisp all the way through. It has an interesting mouthfeel overall.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer, and a good example of the style. I haven't minded drinking this 8-pack even a little bit. That said, I probably wouldn't drink this beer more than a few times a year, but I would certainly drink it again regularly. I would recommend it and hope that you get to try one that is as fresh as this one I am drinking now.

3.06/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a very nice golden color, with good head, decent lacing, and a lot of bubbly carbonation. Very sweet lager scent, with a slighlty skunky nose. Decent taste, a very sweet creamy malt, but with an cloying aftertaste. Goes down quite extremely smooth.

2.33/5  rDev -21.8%

7oz bottle from State Liquor Store in Vernal. $1.00

A: Clear yellow, white head, not much retention, a few sticky spots of lacing. Looks like an adjunct lager.

S: Grainy. Honestly there is nothing else there.

T: Grainy, a little honey, and well, it ends about there. I don't want to trash this beer, but its got a malty grainy flavor, and that is all I can describe it as. Tastes like a BMC beer with a weird sweet finish, I don't like this at all.

M: A little heavier than an adjunct lager, and less carbonated.

D: No thanks, one 7oz of this is enough for me. Its not a horrible beer, but I'm not enjoying this. I think I'd rather drink an adjunct lager over this. Not impressed.

3.27/5  rDev +9.7%

7oz bottle, no dating. Poured into wine glass from ironic effect.

Pours yellow, with zero head and scant lacing. A bit underwhelming.
Scent of corn, husk and a sweetness from the malt.
Flavor is light, sweet. Creamy quality from the corn, graininess from the malt, with a hint of hops. Finish is fairly clean.
All in all, not too bad for the style. I've been curious about this one for awhile (admittedly due to the packaging), and that curiosity is now satisfied.

7oz. Bottle

Pours a clean/clear golden pale yellow color, some carbonation, little fizzy white head, very little sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, slight hop note. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, with a hop note in there. Light body. Barely Drinkable, not impressed at all. This brew showed up in the SLS here in Layton, what a bunch of wasted space for this one.

3.45/5  rDev +15.8%

I did not pour this into anything, so I assume it is pale yellow. or green.
Cool little bottle, pretty refreshing when cold, really not too bad.
Had to see if it was the same as in high school, and it does taste the same, if memory serves me correctly. A lot of beer from those days does not, so I give this props for that.
Probably won't buy it again, but who knows? I might.

2.91/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: A crystal clear light golden color with a thin soapy white head. Your average looking beer. Some lacing left on the glass

S: Smells like a standard american lager with a little bit of honey malt sweetness and lots of grain in the aroma. A touch of skunky hop rounds out the aroma.

T: This is mostly all grainy and starchy sweet. The hop is very much in the background and only adds a touch of skunky, earthy flavor and slight bitterness. The finish is very grainy and still mostly sweet.

M: A medium mouthfeel. The feel is the best part to this beer, there is a nice smoothness to it.

D: It is OK, has a sort of standard taste and is somewhat easy to drink. I wouldn't go seek it out though.

2.97/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a straw color, and has a nice frothy head.
Smells like a good old beer with the basic slight skunky smell, not overwhelming though.
Nice little refreshing taste for a little booger like this one. Has nothing that would really make me believe it is as much a cream ale as they say it is. It is however a pretty nice taste, a bit of apple but mainly just the nice taste of a good beer for a hot day.

Nice to try this again.

2.08/5  rDev -30.2%

A - Poured a straw color with a white head that quickly fades to a ring

S - It smells like a Euro Pale Lager sweet grainy malt with skunk

T - Follows the nose sweet grainy malt with UV abused hops

M - This beer has a light body with medium carbonation to it

D - I'm sure if I was able to get a fresh hidden from the light bottle it would be better but probably not by much not worth it

3.11/5  rDev +4.4%

Schoenling Little Kings Original Cream Ale was a golden color with a small, fragile head that dissipated quickly.

There was not much of an aroma, a little skunky, a little sweet grain.

The taste was smooth, creamy, sweet; but rather bland. There was little to get in the way of your palate on the way to your gullet.

The mouth feel was light bodied with minimal carbonation.

Drinkability was good, helped by the 5.50 ABV and a benign flavor.

I had some Little Kings over 30 years ago and was not impressed. My opinion had changed somewhat during the intervening years. While not a great beer it wasn't that bad and I wouldn't have minded guzzling half a dozen under the right circumstances.

3.04/5  rDev +2%

A tiny $0.99 bottle, how could I resist? Never have seen this in Chicago, I found this single in Sycamore, IL, although Lunar Brewing offers this on their beer list.

Poured into an equally tiny Gaffel Kolsch stange glass, topping out at .2L There was a decent 2 fingers of head at first that puffed above the rim. A nice halo of intricate lace inside the glass that I wasn't expecting. Gold and bright, with a slight haze appropriate for a Cream Ale. The last few drops produced visible yeast in the glass.

Skunky aroma at first, becoming grainy and musty after that. Inoffensive papery grain flavor, slightly bitter in the finish. Fairly light, sort of crisp, but still a bit watery. Vague suggestion of sweet apple in the aftertaste. Fairly simple and easy to drink in a non-intellectual way. An average lawnmower beer.

2.8/5  rDev -6%

Poured from bottle into a tall glass, no freshness date on bottle.

A: Clear gold, large bubbles rising to from a minimal head with minimal lacing.

S: Skunk initially, followed by sulfur, crystal malts and foamy cream.

T: Expected to taste like a lager and didn't, taste more like a malt liquor. The taste is somehow similar, but is sweeter and rounder. The initial malts are softer and more billowy than a Euro Pale Lager (what this beer smells like). Minimal toast and biscuit in the end, surprisingly tastes rather alcoholic. I would have expected an ABV of 6% or more.

M: Medium bodied, not particularly smooth, but the carbonation doesn't bite either.

D: Not very drinkable for this style, but the bottle is tiny so I could still have a few of these...

Overall: Nothing special for a cream ale, but nothing bad or offensive either. Just because the size is interesting I would buy a few of these again.

3.08/5  rDev +3.4%

Found this single 7oz green bottle at Binny's in Glen Ellyn, IL for $1.09. No back label with information about the beer and no freshness date.

At just 7oz, this beer will only fill up your glass about 2/3 full, so feel free to give it a hard pour right down the middle. Even with a hard pour this pale yellow beer only made a ½ finger white head that disappeared in about 30 seconds. Surprisinglt it did leave a few spots of lacing on the glass.

This beer was skunked beyond belief and I wasn't sure I would even be ale to drink it, but after I let it sit and breath a bit, most of the skunkiness wore off and I was able to pick out a sweet grainy corn smell.

The taste was pleasantly sweet with both malt and corn flavors, but it also had a small hop presence for balance.

The mouthfeel lived up to its namesake as a cream ale. It wasn't a heavy beer but it certainly was smooth and creamy with a medium high carbonation level.

I would like to try another one of these and see if I get the same skunky smell, because without that I could see drinking a bunch of these. It's a good little beer.

2.57/5  rDev -13.8%

Bottle to glass.

A - very flat. No lacing or little head. Little carbonation. Cornish yellow tint. Pee like almost.

S - Sweet, and fuity. But its got a alcohol tinge to it. Not much else I smell.

T - About the same as smell. Fruity, not real carbonated. Simple. Vegetable like.

M - Thin. Hardly carbonated. Slippery. Alcohol in the end.

D - Probably the only good thing about this beer is the drink ability and the the funny size of the bottle it came in.

This is a cool as someone else has said it ice breaker beer. Its probably cheap. I however was given an 8 pack for about 9 bucks. A friend got it for me when he was in Kentucky.

Would I pay 9 dollars again for this? No. Not at all. If it was local and I could get 24 of them for $18? Sure why not.

Price to quality is how I rate. And for being more than a dollar for a 7oz bottle I have had much much better than this.

3.87/5  rDev +29.9%

Had not had this in about twenty-five or so years.Picked up an eight pack to see if it might bring back so old memories, it did most of them not to bad but I understood why it had been so long.To sum it up I'll call this one a mass quantity beer as compared to a quality brew.Not really all that bad but it's amazing the stuff I used to put away as compared to now.

2.31/5  rDev -22.5%

My sis in law used to drink this back in the day. I know my bro also drank it but he didn't like it much, for the cheap buzz, he preferred Mickeys Big Mouth. I saw it in my local and decided "what the hell". 7oz beers are fun. Icebreakers they are called.

A: Standard, yellow, little foam and lace, required bubbly bread.

S: Grainy sweet. maybe a little too much sugar residual. Burp beer.

M: A little foamy, sweet residual aftertaste. Corn masked, but sure as hell get the sweet from it.

T: It doesn't have a overpowering corn flavor but the sweet is overpowering. At the back is a faint butter scotch remainder, but you need to look hard for it. The stink of a cheap cream ale is too overpowering to really enjoy. It's not a smooth beverage either. Really harsh going down.

D: Cheap, crappy, nostalgia beer. Even Genny Cream is a bit more palatable. Good thing it was only 7 OZ.

Wow, the bottle is small (7oz)!
The foam was white in color, bubbly and dissapated quickly. The color was light golden yellow with hints of amber. The smell was of a typical American pils, nice ballance of hops and barley. The taste to me was like an average mainstream pils with some bitterness and small undertones of wheat and lemon. Mouthfeel - light to medium-bodied. Drinkability - better than the average watered down beer.

3.23/5  rDev +8.4%

Bottle at PPRBSG09 thanks to beastiefan2k. Pours a clear yellow with a white head. Aroma of sweet pale malt. Flavor of light corn malt, some bready notes and sweet fruits. Actually I found this chill and drinkable...(apparently Eugene and I are alone in thinking this)

3.42/5  rDev +14.8%

saw these recently
A: great golden color that leads up to snow white fluffy head
S: grainy sweet smell
T: mmm creamy smooth starts off nice and sweet like a english ale or something nice barky bite to finish pretty dry as well
M: very smooth and creamy like a widget beer but still very light and watery also it is very carbinated
D: overall good beer for nice day also a very good price

2.29/5  rDev -23.2%

7oz nip, courtesy of my RB pal Dorothy. :P

Served into my Yards taster mug. Pours out sizzling like Canada Dry.

Faint grain, tonic, & mustiness. Classically boring, but unoffensive.

Taste is lightly sweet crackery malt & husk. Noticeable wet bark/twig bitterness also included. Spritzy, but ends with a little Euro trash as it warms.

Unless these come complimentary, with a "try me" sticker, taped to the back of a bottle of Wild Turkey, I don't think I'm game enough for another.

3.3/5  rDev +10.7%

Pale golden with a slight white foamy head that quickly settles and leaves some blotchy lace behind. Toasted sweet corn flakes in the nose and not much else. The flavor is mostly sweet and malty up front with very little hop character present. Light bodied with smooth carbonation. An okay beer that is only slightly better that a typical macro lager.

2.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Got this in a trade with Infestaxion. This is one of those "cult" beers that people love. This is brewed at the Lion in Wilkes Barre, PA but only sold in the Midwest. Poured from a 7 ounce green bottle. Strangely this 7 oz is actually a different size than the Rolling rock 7 oz bottle. Do we need 2 types of 7 oz beer bottles? Beer poured into a small glass. Yellow color, with small head. The beer quickly goes flat. Grainy, fruity smell. You can smell the extra alcohol content too. The taste reminds me of beer from the 1980s. Not sure if the beer has changed or I am just not drinking the cheapest beer around these days. Drinkability is ok. Nice to have some variety out there. When I drink this I wonder what the special appeal is/was for cream ale. Other than the extra kick, dont see it.

3.4/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured two 7 ounce green bottles into my pint glass.

Small white head, clear golden yellow, and very active carbonation. Left some nice lacing. Sweet and malty smelling with some adjuncts present. The adjuncts aren't as offputting here as they are in macro-lagers. Adjuncts seem right at home in the creamy sweetness. Pretty tastey stuff, but it's not something I would want a lot of in one sitting.

3.35/5  rDev +12.4%

This is one I actually just tried and not one I had notes for. I just found it at Churchills down on the west side and I've never seen it before so I decided to try it.

The little bottle is a good idea. Why hasn't anyone thought of this for the really high ABV's?

A- The color is sort of a light amber yellow with a small thick head and not really any lacing.

S- More grains that anything. Hops and malts are hanging around back there. There's a little funkiness somewhere back there that I can't place.

T- More grains than anything like the smell. Then along with hops and malt a little extra sweetness comes in.

M- Pretty nice actually. Smooth and creamy light body. Not too much carbonation.

D- You could hit a few of these but there may be others that are better balanced and tastier.

Little Kings Cream Ale from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.