Hudy 14-K | Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Hudy 14-KHudy 14-K

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by FtownThrowDown on 09-26-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.28/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

My pour created two fingers' worth of rapidly disappearing bone- white head that bubbled and foamed like it was cleaning out my bathtub. The color was a deep golden-yellow that lived up to its 14 carat name in terms of its appearance, coupled with its NE-quality clarity. Nose was slightly sweet and lager-like. Is it possible that this was produced without adjuncts?!? It did not have that characteristic cereal sweetness. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, but it tasted like a real lager, unadulterated. I may be in love! Finish was dry and crisp. I could drink this on a regular basis if it were available in my area. Worth seeking out!

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear dark gold color with a small off-white head. The head didn't stick around for long, and there isn't much lacing. It smells mostly like grainy/bready malt, along with a bit of a vegetal aroma. The taste is pretty much the same as the aroma, it's mostly grainy/sweet malt and not much else. Not bad, but not really good either. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's thin and watery but is also easy to drink. I've had worse, I really wasn't expecting much when I bought a single of this for 99 cents. Nice to try, but I wouldn't buy it again.

2.6/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a brilliant medium golden with a frothy ivory head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Grain, sweet corn adjunct, alcohol, light fruity estery notes, and a metallic character form the aroma, along with a hint of floral hop.

The metallic character carries into the flavor, which finishes bready and a touch dry. Acetaldehyde surfaces in the form of green apple, and the fruity esters are more subtle than anticipated. Becomes peppery in aftertaste.

Body is moderate, as is carbonation, and there's a touch of astringency at the finish.

Estery and metallic characters dominate. More character than some.

3.32/5  rDev +2.5%

12oz can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It pours straw colored with a good three inches of white head.

S - I get a soapy aroma. It's probably some floral hops at work.

T - I get some grain and a little bit of that floral thing still going on. It has some faint fruitiness.

M - Thin

O - I like it because it has some taste. I would keep it as guest beer if it were available locally. At least I can get Burger.

2.92/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - basic straw/gold look. Thin, white head, short-lived.

Aroma - clean, grainy, a touch vegetal.

Taste - mildly sweet, basic grainy flavor, but reasonably tasty. Not sure if that's a whisper of hops on the swallow...or just carbonation.

Mouthfeel - light, crisp, a touch watery but it's on par for the style.

Drinkability - it goes down easily and quickly as I listen to Reds/Giants on WLW.

3.31/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.04/5  rDev -6.2%

4.1/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Ryan011235 for this bottle, pulled from the 6 pack for a proper tick. You know I'm cheap when I have to bum a Hudy off of someone. Poured into a pint.

Appearance
Really not good looking. The head is coarse and fizzles out very quickly with loud crackles. It rests totally lifelessly, no head, no bubbles, nothing. The color is nice though. Its a clear goldenrod. I think this is where they get the 14-K moniker.

Aroma
Toasty grains, tea-like hops with little dashes of lemon and dough, respectively. The aroma is weak, but its certainly well structured and by no means off putting. It doesn't have that husky, corny, boiled veggies smell, so that's a huge plus.

Taste
This has to be the best of this style I've tasted. Its actually very enjoyable. I'm not struggling through this beer by any means. Lots of lemon starts things off, by this flavor breaks quickly in favor of a light cracker dough malt sweetness. The finish sees another go at lemony hops just before an abrupt, clean ending.

Mouthfeel
Of course, this is highly carbonated. That's just a characteristic of this style. But the body is fuller and more smooth than the appearance would lead you to believe. The finish is clean and very dry.

Overall
This is the best of the style, that I've had. Its cheap, $5.99 per 6 pack. I'll have to keep this stocked.

3.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz can, served in a shaker pint glass. Date stamp on the bottom of the can: 2146 1123.

Appearance: Bright and clear gold. Initial white foam died back to nothing and left barest hint of a white ring on top. No lacing.

Smell: Next to no smell. With a swirl, I get the barest hint of something fruity and leafy, but it's barely there.

Taste: Pilsner malt, a hint of corn, some fruity esters (which surprised me - a bit of berry flavor), a light hop finish. A simple lager, but with some unique character.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated, approaching fizzy, but not quite. Pretty smooth underneath, but a bit thin.

Overall / Drinkability: Good clarity of beer - if it had a decent foam I would rank it higher on appearance. The individual components are nothing impressive, but everything combined, I think this beer would be great with the right food (fried chicken, burgers, pizza - American comfort food mostly) or after mowing the yard. It's just flavorful enough to be memorable and satisfying, but not massively so that you feel you need to sip. It's a good utilitarian beer. I would not mind having another one over a large meal, or having again sometime. Quite drinkable.

3.56/5  rDev +9.9%

An old local favorite is back. Finally being brewed and brought back to a local market. Picked up a twelve pack on a sentimental note and enjoying with my father on college football Saturday.
Pours a crystal clear light gold in color. There's a very nice inch of head that forms on the pour. A little white ring sticks around the perimeter of the glass.
Smell is mostly grain and lager. This is an old school lawn mower beer.
Taste is just pure lager. Unobtrusive and easy drinking. Perfect amount of lite carbonation to go with it. For a cheap lager, I prefer this by light years over BMC. Very easy drinking and I'll enjoy the rest of the twelve pack.

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

3.14/5  rDev -3.1%

12 ounce bottle from Ryan011235, poured into a shaker pint. See-thru gold with a fizzy head that becomes a thin collar and a few wispy patches in short order. No lacing.

Smells of apple sweetness, very light malt, a faint hint of citrus. Kinda doughy, too. The same qualities are present in the flavor to varying degrees. The apple and lemon make a respectable showing from themselves. Grains and a touch of bitterness emerge. Plenty carbonated, which helps scrub away some of that doughiness. It's no Burger Classic, but it's pretty decent.

Premium Beer

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

A- Pours a light yellow color with a thin white foam head that leaves little lacing.

S- Mostly grain and faint alcohol aroma.

T- Cooked cream corn and a touch of apple in the finish. A bit soapy and harsh.

M- Light bodied with ok carbonation.

D- Not really what I hoped it would be (a cheap decent substitute for session nights).

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

A value beer indeed. Found a twelve for six bucks, But tasty as well.

It pours golden yellow, well carbonated with spotty white lace.

Aroma is sweet corn grain and husk.

Taste of grain, corn, grass, and earth with a metalic undertones.

mouthfeel is a carbonated smoothness though left abit dry.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

4.5/5  rDev +38.9%

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

3.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look- Yellow with a short term white head that begins well but does not last.
Aroma Pretty much a lager with a bit more fruitiness to the grain + yeast than I expected.
Taste Well, I don't know if they went adjuct at all but it'd decent,Unlike a typical corn beer,this isn't fizzy,watery,sweet or finishing with the flavors of brake drums and plywood. It's a retro re-do of the Hudy my mom and dad drank,what I had at the bars in Cincy many many years ago ( the 3.2% version for 18 yr olds)....or is it really? I'm not quite getting the same beery scent aned this seems not very carbonated, which I don't remember. It however...seems a bit more refined. Sort of a light lager/pils yet more substance than a BMC, this is a good lawnmower lager...and $4 a sixer. A bit of it gave some flavor to a couple Brats in the skillet and the rest accompanied them from my glass.

Mouth- For a beer not looking to be big,and on the lager/pils cusp I'd expect a bit more carbo but the texture has some creaminess and is decent for the type,not some dilluted kitty pee. There's none of that rank you get in a Coors if it warms to 45 degrees.
Drinkability. Time Tough, time tough,everything is going higher and higher,higher and higher. In the words of Toots and The Maytals, and tough times can mean a squeeze on the beer budget,so a $4 sixer is a friend indeed. I never had one of those Pennsylvania Ying A Ling beers but this might compete well as an emergency beer when $ are few. It's a decent yardwork beer for hot days when having 3 or 4 goes well.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Hudy 14-K from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.