Bürger Classic | Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Bürger ClassicBürger Classic

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
hudepohlbeer.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 08-29-2002

1.25/5  rDev -59.2%

1.4/5  rDev -54.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pale urine colored with a mere skim of shock white foam. Untoasted grain and grits with a good blast of cooked corn. Wow, I think this beer is actually worse than I remembered from my late teen years. Green apple skin and wet cardboard with a buttery popcorn finish. Burger classic is just bad.

1.5/5  rDev -51%

1.66/5  rDev -45.8%

A - Poured a very very light yellow with a fizzy white head that quickly died to nothing.

S - Smells like water used to soak a bunch of corn in, very little malt and absolutely no hops.

T - I can drink a lot of AAJ Lagers, but this sucks. It tastes much like it smells and that is awful.

M - Thin, weak, watery, I've drank tap water with better mouthfeel.

D - If I can barely get through one....

Overall, this beer is added to my list of beers that I wonder if ANYBODY actually tasted before they released it to the public. While it may have "classic" taste, it sucks. I can't imagine what executive of a company would sip this and declare it good enough for sale. Natural Light puts this beer to shame. If you want a Cincinnati AAJ, go get a Hudy.

1.75/5  rDev -42.8%

1.83/5  rDev -40.2%

Brought to you today from the company the also brings you ...

Little Kings - Possibly the only "Cream Ale" in a 40!
14 K Premiem - Because nothing else screames good taste like middle of the road name association
Mt. Everest Malt Liquor - The top of the world of malt liquor... or makes your head feel like there's no oxygen in the room..
and other fine brews..but on the the important review...

Sampled from a 12 oz can that looks hauntingly familiar...hmm where have I seen a similar can before? I wonder..it almost looks like, but not quite...well anyway on to the beer..anyway onto info from their website...

Original Gravity: 11.2° plato
Final Gravity: 2.5° plato
Bitterness: 12 IBU's (low)
Color: 4 SRM (Golden-Straw)
Alcohol Content: 3.67% by weight - 4.62% by volume
Calories: 150 per 12 oz. serving
Carbohydrates: 12.4 grams

Poured a crystal clear golden yellow with a fair white head and little lacing to speak of.

Aromas almost identical Budweiser, but with a little more adjuctive smell of corn and rice. Not pleasant, but not as offensive as Burger Light.

Tasted....well...almost exactly like Budweiser...and the price for a case in NC is $11 wholesale so probably anywhere from $13-$15 retail....Hey are you guys sure this isn't Budweiser? Come on, really? Tasted of malt, barley, grains, corn husk, are rice. Medium-light body with medium-high carbonation. Very little mouth feel and the drinkability is not there due to the fact this is mostly swill. That being said I would choose Burger everyday of the week and twice on Sunday over Burger Light, but given that I have a choice I'll stay away from both completely.

2.06/5  rDev -32.7%

buschbeer was "kind" enough to bring me one of these from a trip to the Cinci area. Foamy head over a clear straw yellow hue. I would have to agree that the adjunct sweet scent is slightly stronger in this than other beers I've had. I even opened up a Bud Light for comparative purposes. Taste is pretty awful. This will be a one and done beer for me.

2.16/5  rDev -29.4%

I just had to try this stuff on my trip to the tri-state. I poured into a pint glass to a puffy white head. It is yellow and crystal clear. It smells sweet and tastes bad. It leaves a film in my mouth. Probably won't be trying this again, but at least I can say I tried it.

Skoal!

2.18/5  rDev -28.8%

poured a yellow with decent carbonation and head. the head settled quickly. smells sweet of grass and straw. taste is ok. kinda sweet. this would be another good bbq beer on a hot day. good thirst quencher in the summertime.

ok but not great.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

2.21/5  rDev -27.8%

2.48/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

2.49/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to Tom P. for the beer. Quoted price of $12.47 per case, so my expectations couldn't be much lower. Pours clear and with a rich golden color, a bit darker than typical macros (style for comparison's sake). Minimal head formation and lacing. Aroma is slightly malty and fruity. Taste is similar with a sour apple flavor (acetaldehyde). Reminds me of some malt liquors, albeit with much less abv. Mouthfeel is thin, and there's no way this is all malt. Finish is on the dry side.

2.49/5  rDev -18.6%

2.5/5  rDev -18.3%

2.5/5  rDev -18.3%

2.58/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bunch of beers to cellar last night; I picked this up to save a few bucks. It's a drinkable beer for the price point. It's very sweet with a very mild hoppiness that doesn't really balance. It's got a decent level of carbonation, but it somehow seemed flat at times (probably just because it sits heavy on the tongue for a lighter beer). Not one to seek out, but if you find it on the shelf you might as well give it a try (it's too cheap to pass up).

2.71/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a medium golden with a quickly disapating head and no lacing.

Smells like your typical adjunct lager, corny and grainy with a hint of alcohol.

A sweet grainy corn taste with more significant body than most in the genre. Quite drinkable, however not infinitely, as the taste does wear thin after a couple.

For the price this beer is better than it's competitors. However, $2.99 for a six pack quality does get old quickly.

2.73/5  rDev -10.8%

Appearance: This brew pours with a traditionally heavy American mass production head. As is typical of this type, the head fades quickly and the carbonation bubbles are large-adjunct in size. After settling down (not long) carbonation threads are conservative in number. Brew pours a very "Budweiser-like" gold.

Smell: Well....think mass market American Adjunct Beer. This selection is spot on for a standard rice infused lager.

Taste: Actually I was a little suprized with the flavor. Burger has a reputation as being a gutter-beer. Since this selection is (at this time) in limited production, it appears that more care than normal was being taken during manufacture. Certainly, this brew is not up to the standards of most micro-brews, however, I did not find this brew as distasteful. The best way to describe the flavor is a little Heineken Euro Lager mixed with a bottom shelf American Adjunct. Not excellent, but better than what I expected.

Mouthfeel: Similar to any mass market beer.

Drinkability: Similar to any mass market beer.

Conclusion: While I purchased this selection for the nostalgic component, I was surprised with the overall outcome. We will see if Burger continues in the general marketplace. IF it does, it will be interesting to see if it can maintain the current quality, or if it sags to the same level as Milwaukee's Best!

Prosit!
Nikki

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%

2.76/5  rDev -9.8%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

My pour created two fingers' worth of foamy, bubbling bone-white head with average retention. I could smell the cereal sweetness immediately! Color was a beautiful golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. As I lifted the glass to my nose, it simply reinforced what I had sensed during the pour. C'est la vie! Mouthfeel was medium with a sugary sweetness in the mouth. I was reminded of JuicyFruit gum, somehow. The finish was slightly dry, almost redeeming its intensity on the tongue. Not totally bad, overall, but not worth seeking out unless you decide to follow the quest.

2.82/5  rDev -7.8%

This beer should be a staple in my fridge solely for the Burger related jokes.

"Boy this is a good burger."
"You want a burger?"
"Last night I had four or five burgers."

Aroma - Sweet with just the hint of hops. Also and I'm not kidding I also smelled touches of fruit like apple and pineapple.

Appearance - Clear golden and poured with a big fluffy white head that quickly dissipated into a collar around the glass. Decent level of carbonation helped maintain the collar.

Taste - A good amount of flavor leaning way toward sweet maybe from krausening. If your not a fan of sweeter beer you might this tends to be a little fatiguing on the palate.

Notes - A good mouthfeel and carbonation level. Really a decent beer for the price. Considering the price I don't see why you wouldn't give it a try.

2.82/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.88/5  rDev -5.9%

Burger Classic Beer has a thick, quickly-dissipating head, and a clear, golden appearance, with no lacing. The aroma is musty, semi-sweet, grainy, and stinging. Taste is of sweet grain, a touch of hop bitterness, and it does have some bite to it. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Burger Classic Beer finishes crisp, dry, and fairly refreshing. Overall, this is just an average, budget beer.

RJT

Bürger Classic from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.