Bürger Classic | Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Bürger ClassicBürger Classic

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States
hudepohlbeer.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 08-29-2002

4.2/5  rDev +37.3%

This is my favorite sit by the pool, drink when I'm thirsty, who gives a shit if i leave it in someones fridge beer. At 5.99 a 12-pack, you could buy a 6 pack of very good beer, this, and still come out cheaper than an 18 pack of your watery macro. You end up with two beers that you're happy to drink.

This is not my favorite beer. It's not even close.

You get some corn flavors, a decent head for this style, a hint a citrus and no metallic flavors. It is nothing remarkable or memorable.

But when I have already gone through a couple of good ales and I need something to wash down this suddenly delicious frozen pizza, I turn to the Burger. It's clean. It tastes better than anything you would see in an overpriced commercial. It's good for this style!

Now who is ready for a game of beer pong . . . .

2.91/5  rDev -4.9%

Ive had these on hand since the release of it. At 5.99 a twelve pack id rather support these ohio cans than that of a macro company.

That said it pours a pretty clear yellow gold. Good carbonation brings a fair white head that does fade. Lace fades as well.

aroma is a corn breaded malt with a beer like sour.

Sweet taste is malted bread, sour dough, faint hop. Slight metallic tin effect.

Its ok on the mouth, slight dryness left behind.

An ok drink if your hot and its real cold. Overall a good cooking beer at a fair price. Perfect for brats or beer can chicken.

4.2/5  rDev +37.3%

A very Sweet corn smell. Good BEER taste, Poured a Darker yellow. Foamy but it fades quickly.. VERY Easy to drink..

The problem I have ran into is INCONSISTENCY in this beer, got a few SKUNKY Cans that tasted HORRIBLE.. in a 12 pack..

A very GOOD Local Cincinnati Beer (Hudy 14-K is better)

Burger reminds me of the good old days.. Worth a TRY..

Since I last reviewed this beer, BURGER has changed it's Bottler.
Burger WAS brewed in Lacrosse, Wisconsin, by City Brewing co. This is WHY they had problems with Inconsistent cans.

NOW, it is brewed and Bottled in Latrobe, Pennsylvania (same place Rolling Rock is Brewed) PROBLEM SOLVED..

3.6/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from 12oz can into beer glass .

Poured a light golden with two finger head lots of bubbles with very little lacing.

Smell was of light hops and corn malt.

Taste is pleasant for the beer type - light malt flavors decent aftertaste .

A old classic beer that is very drinkable, would drink again.

3.5/5  rDev +14.4%

Hipsters ain't got shit on me man, you've probably never heard of this beer and you probably wouldn't like it.

I drink it because its cheap, made in Ohio (kinda but not really), has words like 'classic' and 'enjoy' on the label and comes in a red, white and blue can plus it comes from such an authentically German brewery like Hudepohl-Schoenling; what more could you ask for?

Through my 1970's style yellow tinted sunglasses the beer looks too be a pale yellow with a thin, fizzy white skim on top. Lively bubbles rising to the top are seen aplenty.

Spilling some on my thrift store cardigan, I smell the sweet smells of nostalgia, corny malts, lemony hops and irony. Some cereal and and grain waft up from my shaker glass.

Adjuncts or not, who really knows, point is this is a pretty good tasting brewski, man. But I mean, you probably wouldn't like it, its an Ohio thing, ya know? Sweet grains and lemony hops groove together like me and my 8-track tapes. Some cereal grain flavors linger on my handlebar mustache.

This brew gives me a tingly feeling, similar to the feeling I get every time I'm browsing records at Half Priced Books. Its a bright, lively fizzy feeling of carbonation and the democratic party.

Drinkable? Lets just say I can put back a good few of these at Carabar and still ride my fixie back home.

4.18/5  rDev +36.6%

Can from Ryan011235, who apologized for sending it. Why apologize, man? This shit sounded pretty good (for the style)! And what do you know...

Pours bright golden, more golden than yellow, with a white head that lasts longer than I usually see for beers of this sort. Not a FYB it seems.

The aroma is pretty nice actually. Honey and floral notes accompany the typical sweet pale malt, and there's no unpleasant adjunct smell like that which I get from the macros.

The flavor is pleasant, rather malty for the style, almost like a Munich helles. Pale malt, honey, and slight floral hops. Balanced, with no crappy BMC aftertaste.

Crisp, clean, and refreshing mouthfeel, with just a little more heft than you usually get for this style. Average carbonation level.

Overall, this is probably the best American style crap lager I've ever had. Would be an excellent lawnmower beer if I ever were to mow a law (can't afford grass currently). Really enjoyed it. For all the whiners who said, "Waah waah you never rate a pale lager/adjunct lager/crap beer well," consider this one a big fat "IN YO' FACE!" Highest rating yet for this beer by a longshot.

NOTE: This doesn't get an A+ because I think the style could still get better, and because I don't really recognize this style as its own entity so much as as a less flavorful subclass of pilsner or helles.

3.35/5  rDev +9.5%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz can into a standard pint glass. Label is red, white, and blue with a distinct German feel. No freshness dating. I picked this up in a 12 pack as the cheapest beer I could find in order to use it to bait slugs in the garden. However, it is apparently too cheap for slugs; as they have not responded to it nearly as well as the previous cheap beers I was using.

Appearance: Pours with 1 finger if white head. This settles very quickly to nothing. The beer itself is a perfectly clear pale yellow with moderate activity.

Smell: Sugary sweetness with a slight underlying vegetal bitterness.

Taste: Significant carbonation bite upfront with the feeling of force carbing. Taste is an initial sugary sweetness with very little backbone . Fades quickly, no lingering. The tiniest hint of crisp hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation level, with big bubbles. Body is okay.

Drinkability: Well, it is what it is. I certainly wasn't expecting much an experience here, and it delivered.

3.82/5  rDev +24.8%

12 oz can courtesy of Ryan011235, poured into a shaker pint. See-thru gold with a short lived white head that's fluffy while it lasts, which isn't long. A skim sticks around for a bit, though. Wet lacing is teased here and there, but drips back in.

Not a bad nose for the style. Some crisp grain and hay, a vague notion of hops, a stray note of apple here and there. Definitely not the gross sweet corny nose of many macros. Tastes pretty good as well. Fairly fluffy and more substantial feeling than it looks, with a surprising burst of hoppiness before the grains kick in. A touch more carbonation might help get rid of the slight residual sweetness, but it's not bad at all.

Overall impression: Not a bad fizzy yellow option here. Certainly a notch above most BMC.

3.1/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours like any adjunct, a clear piss yellow.

The smell is that typical adjunct can twang.

The taste was better than say Genesee or Budweiser but it was still pretty bad, mostly just sweet mineral water.

It is cheap, but not as cheap as Blatz or the like, so it pretty much isn't worth it.

2.58/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bunch of beers to cellar last night; I picked this up to save a few bucks. It's a drinkable beer for the price point. It's very sweet with a very mild hoppiness that doesn't really balance. It's got a decent level of carbonation, but it somehow seemed flat at times (probably just because it sits heavy on the tongue for a lighter beer). Not one to seek out, but if you find it on the shelf you might as well give it a try (it's too cheap to pass up).

1.4/5  rDev -54.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pale urine colored with a mere skim of shock white foam. Untoasted grain and grits with a good blast of cooked corn. Wow, I think this beer is actually worse than I remembered from my late teen years. Green apple skin and wet cardboard with a buttery popcorn finish. Burger classic is just bad.

2.18/5  rDev -28.8%

poured a yellow with decent carbonation and head. the head settled quickly. smells sweet of grass and straw. taste is ok. kinda sweet. this would be another good bbq beer on a hot day. good thirst quencher in the summertime.

ok but not great.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

A- Pours a clear golden color with a very minimal white foam head. No lacing left behind.

S- Some earthy hops and grain. I also got some fresh cut grass and malt.

T- A touch of hop bitterness initially with a light toasted grain/malt finish. A bit of alcohol and a metallic flavor linger.

M- Light and crisp with ok carbonation.

D- Not a terrible beer but certainly not one that I would pick up regularly.

2.76/5  rDev -9.8%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

My pour created two fingers' worth of foamy, bubbling bone-white head with average retention. I could smell the cereal sweetness immediately! Color was a beautiful golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. As I lifted the glass to my nose, it simply reinforced what I had sensed during the pour. C'est la vie! Mouthfeel was medium with a sugary sweetness in the mouth. I was reminded of JuicyFruit gum, somehow. The finish was slightly dry, almost redeeming its intensity on the tongue. Not totally bad, overall, but not worth seeking out unless you decide to follow the quest.

2.82/5  rDev -7.8%

This beer should be a staple in my fridge solely for the Burger related jokes.

"Boy this is a good burger."
"You want a burger?"
"Last night I had four or five burgers."

Aroma - Sweet with just the hint of hops. Also and I'm not kidding I also smelled touches of fruit like apple and pineapple.

Appearance - Clear golden and poured with a big fluffy white head that quickly dissipated into a collar around the glass. Decent level of carbonation helped maintain the collar.

Taste - A good amount of flavor leaning way toward sweet maybe from krausening. If your not a fan of sweeter beer you might this tends to be a little fatiguing on the palate.

Notes - A good mouthfeel and carbonation level. Really a decent beer for the price. Considering the price I don't see why you wouldn't give it a try.

2.06/5  rDev -32.7%

buschbeer was "kind" enough to bring me one of these from a trip to the Cinci area. Foamy head over a clear straw yellow hue. I would have to agree that the adjunct sweet scent is slightly stronger in this than other beers I've had. I even opened up a Bud Light for comparative purposes. Taste is pretty awful. This will be a one and done beer for me.

2.16/5  rDev -29.4%

I just had to try this stuff on my trip to the tri-state. I poured into a pint glass to a puffy white head. It is yellow and crystal clear. It smells sweet and tastes bad. It leaves a film in my mouth. Probably won't be trying this again, but at least I can say I tried it.

Skoal!

2.71/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a medium golden with a quickly disapating head and no lacing.

Smells like your typical adjunct lager, corny and grainy with a hint of alcohol.

A sweet grainy corn taste with more significant body than most in the genre. Quite drinkable, however not infinitely, as the taste does wear thin after a couple.

For the price this beer is better than it's competitors. However, $2.99 for a six pack quality does get old quickly.

3.5/5  rDev +14.4%

Bought some of this while in Cincinnati attending a Reds game recently. It was generally the same as I remember it in that it was what I'll refer to as an Old School type of beer that is both filling and that actually has flavor. When pouring it into a mug I found the golden color attractive with the smell and test being better than what I would expect from a bargain priced brew (especially when comparing it to competitors like Pabst, Busch, etc). All in all, while it isn't the greatest I ever drank I believe it is a great beer for the price.

3.3/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 ounce can. This is one of the old classic Cincy brands of beer, and it was brought back to the market recently. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear straw gold color with about an inch white head. Head retention and lacing is below average. Not much to the aroma, it's weak and smells like corn/grain. With that being said, there aren't any offensive aromas. Taste is similar to the aroma, but it's stronger and tastes like sweet malt and grain. It is a sweet tasting brew, but it doesn't taste bad at all. Mouthfeel/body is light, but it's not watery. It also has decent carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and very easy to drink. For the style, it's not a bad beer. And for $5.99 a 12 pack, the price is right too. I think it's a good summer/lawnmower beer.

3.11/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz. can, shotgunned and crushed on forehead.

A: The can is red white and blue. A skim of foam forms near the mouth(WTF? No vent?) for a minute then runs away. Looks pretty dark in there but I'd bet a hundo it's barely straw colored.

S: Smells like corn but I just husked about 20 ears. Metal from the can and more of the corn aroma with some added sweetness. It's completely fresh but actually smells a bit stale.

T/M: Doesnt taste as bad as all the old stories
make it out to be. Pretty much middle of the road adjunct lager with a touch more sweetness and maybe a touch of amber malt, but I might be imaging that. Mouthfeel is a bit fuller than most shit beer and the carbonation isn't nearly as abbrassive.

D: Easily crushable after a long hot summer day, cookout, or social event where you don't need to be a beer geek... Which is exactly what this beer is for. I'm glad Bryon brought this beer back and made it drinkable, but let's make somethng original and crafty next time, now that the nostalgia is out of the way :)

3.72/5  rDev +21.6%

The retro revival of Burger beer has proved to be an enormous success in the Cincinnati area. Stores actually sell out of it. Some say it just flies off the shelf.
The reasons for this: It is an inexpensive beer with actual flavor, much more carefully made now (like Shoenling's Little Kings) in its current revival form. It also has a cross demographic appeal because of its long time association with the Cincinnati Reds. The first time I sampled this, I soon started remembering Waite Hoyt telling stories on the radio, during rain delays of the baseball game.
It also appeals to the younger rockabilly crowd who like beer that does not rip away all of their pocket money, and who like its retro funky looking can.
The beer itself is very good. Of course those who can not appreciate this recipe style will simply wail and gnash their beer elitist teeth.
It should also be remembered that the revival of Burger was partially a response to current economic hardship. So on a site that advocates respect for beer, it should always be remembered that beer is primarily, the peoples' drink.

3.82/5  rDev +24.8%

Not much more to say about this beer other than what has been said. Bought mainly for the nastalgia, never had it before, I too was surprised at how well it tasted by looking at the price tag. I would buy this over any AB product anyday. Actually like it better than most mass market beers. Will buy again.

2.73/5  rDev -10.8%

Appearance: This brew pours with a traditionally heavy American mass production head. As is typical of this type, the head fades quickly and the carbonation bubbles are large-adjunct in size. After settling down (not long) carbonation threads are conservative in number. Brew pours a very "Budweiser-like" gold.

Smell: Well....think mass market American Adjunct Beer. This selection is spot on for a standard rice infused lager.

Taste: Actually I was a little suprized with the flavor. Burger has a reputation as being a gutter-beer. Since this selection is (at this time) in limited production, it appears that more care than normal was being taken during manufacture. Certainly, this brew is not up to the standards of most micro-brews, however, I did not find this brew as distasteful. The best way to describe the flavor is a little Heineken Euro Lager mixed with a bottom shelf American Adjunct. Not excellent, but better than what I expected.

Mouthfeel: Similar to any mass market beer.

Drinkability: Similar to any mass market beer.

Conclusion: While I purchased this selection for the nostalgic component, I was surprised with the overall outcome. We will see if Burger continues in the general marketplace. IF it does, it will be interesting to see if it can maintain the current quality, or if it sags to the same level as Milwaukee's Best!

Prosit!
Nikki

1.66/5  rDev -45.8%

A - Poured a very very light yellow with a fizzy white head that quickly died to nothing.

S - Smells like water used to soak a bunch of corn in, very little malt and absolutely no hops.

T - I can drink a lot of AAJ Lagers, but this sucks. It tastes much like it smells and that is awful.

M - Thin, weak, watery, I've drank tap water with better mouthfeel.

D - If I can barely get through one....

Overall, this beer is added to my list of beers that I wonder if ANYBODY actually tasted before they released it to the public. While it may have "classic" taste, it sucks. I can't imagine what executive of a company would sip this and declare it good enough for sale. Natural Light puts this beer to shame. If you want a Cincinnati AAJ, go get a Hudy.

Bürger Classic from Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.