Long Walk | 4th Tap Brewing Co-op

Style: American IPA

Added by Jame515 on 11-15-2015

Reviews by Atlas1:
3.68/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

There seems to be a huge grapefruit IPA movement right now in the craft beer world. That's not a bad thing, mind you, just an observation. This is the latest I've been able to try.

Pours a hazy apricot color. Sort of looks like a glass of dirty grapefruit juice. Maybe. The nose is nice enough, but I expected a heavier citrus aroma. It's there, just not as potent as I thought it might be. The taste is delightful. Light and juicy with a notable grapefruit presence and a hoppy theme throughout. Makes sense, of course, given the style. Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing.

On the whole this is a fine beer. Not the best IPA or even grapefruit IPA I've had (that honor still goes to Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin right now), but it's better than some. Tasty and refreshing. At 7% it's a bit strong to serve as a go-to summer session, but it'll still cool you off on a hot summer day. Cheers.

2.6/5  rDev -28.4%

I just arrived at my Grandma's house. She's excited and gave me a big hug. My favorite thing in her fridge is the ruby red grapefruit juice, Moms and I don't have it regularly, so I'm excited too. I pour a big glass, even sipped some from the box when Grandmoms wasn't looking. I love it. So sweet. Much dark caramel sugar smells. Happiness.
Then I woke up. And realized I'm 34. And hiding my brewing skill underneath a shitload of grapefruit is strange, Maybe tired. Aren't I better than this? I can't recall. Let's go with it anyway. The kids will love it. Can I get a hug. Nah. Nobody is there. Not even Grandmoms. She's tired of this beer. It's not in her fridge anymore. It never was she says. I'm confused.
Then clarity hits. I'm not six years old anymore. Grapefruit juice is good at Sunday brunch mixed with prosecco. Not in my IPA. I had a friend who wanted to squeeze a slice of grapefruit into an IPA when we were young. Both of us quickly realized it was a mistake.

3.54/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.08/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.49/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.89/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.54/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.97/5  rDev +9.4%

Pretty solid Grapefruit IPA.
I've been through a couple of six packs of this now. I'd consider this a highly drinkable IPA, just not something that stand out to me as overly spectacular. The grapefruit is really upfront and apparent, so thats very nice, and if you are a grapefruit fan i am sure you'd love this beer.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

3.12/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

3.87/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On tap at brewery.

Reddish hued hazy golden straw. Slightly off-white head is foamy and settles into thin collar.

Aroma is bright fresh grapefruit and grapefruit zest dominated but hint of malt sweetness and floral hops is in there too.

Grapefruit takes the lead in the flavor as well but a nice mix of sweet ruby red, zippy rind and some bitterness in the form of grapefruit pith. A decent amount of malt flavors is present as well balancing the bitterness but adding a slight caramel sweetness and grassiness.

Moderate carbonation and lighter side of medium body.

A decent use of adjunct fruit in an IPA. Doesn't taste fake like some.

4.09/5  rDev +12.7%

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Definitely lives up to the name, it's loaded with pungent grapefruit flavors, and quite a tart initial bite. Hoppy but less so than the typical modern IPA. Enjoyable.

2.63/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured from a can into an Avery pub glass, served at ~60*F.

Pours a cloudy amber with a significant presence of small bubble foam. The semi occluded look gives the impression that something is off, though I know it is not. It smells almost like fresh grapefuit (not subtle); if you close your eyes, you might mistake the nose for grapefruit juice. The taste is heavy in the grapefuit, light on the hops, and perhaps a bit of malt. They say it has 7%, but I cannot taste it (I can feel it). The feel is nice, similar to your favorite smooth nitro beer. Overall, it is not my bag. Where the Grapefruit Sculpin strikes a delicate balance between grapefruit, hops, IBU, and a clean palette, this one tilts towards grapefruit and not much else. It may be an American IPA by style, but not close on flavor.

3.62/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.48/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.74/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-draught @ the brewery.

"Grapefruit IPA." 7% ABV. Runs $5 a glass usually. Hopped with Columbus and Cascade hops. Brewed with Munich and Crystal malts.

Those after an aggressively bitter grapefruit bite (as observed in Grapefruit Sculpin for example) may be let down, but I'm just glad the grapefruit tastes genuine instead of artificial.

Hop pungency is wanting, and the generic floral hop profile leaves a lot to be desired...I'm all for classic c-hop utilization but where's the beef?

In a style as oversaturated as IPA, you're obliged to bring a hell of a lot more to the table if you hope to compete. This will scratch one's IPA itch, but it's a weak link in 4th Tap's lineup by my estimation, and unfortunately it'll be the first beer many consumers try of theirs. I dig this brewery's lineup and would hate to see them judged just by this brew because it really doesn't measure up. The light Munich-driven malt backbone, the weak hop presence, the lack of body... it's wanting. And the Grapefruit additive is its best attribute.

High C (3.00) / AVERAGE

2.98/5  rDev -17.9%

4.11/5  rDev +13.2%

3.57/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Long Walk from 4th Tap Brewing Co-op