Double Bastard Bigger Longer Uncut | Arrogant Brewing

Double Bastard Bigger Longer UncutDouble Bastard Bigger Longer Uncut

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Aged in scotch whisky barrels.

Added by superspak on 08-06-2016

Reviews by NorCalYeti:
3.88/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2.39/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Appearance - Pours clear and ruby brown in color. Khaki colored head that disappears nearly as fast as it's poured, leaving a nearly bare surface with a few suds hanging around the edge of the glass. No lace.

Smell - When the bottle says peaty as hell, they aren't kidding. This is stupidly dominant in peat smoke aroma.

Taste - Peaty smokiness, to the point of off, medicinal-like characters. Think band-aid. Distant citrusy hops and caramel appear briefly near the finish before being re-devoured by the peat smokiness. Peat smoke RULES ALL!!!! ukkk.

Mouthfeel - Medium-to-full in body with low-to-moderate carbonation. Goes down well enough for 12%, but frankly the peat-heavy character makes this hard to drink.

Overall - Given several years this may age into something beautiful, or at the very least something drinkable, but as is this is overwhelmingly peaty to the point of disgust. There is no enjoyment in this, even for someone who enjoys a fair amount of smoke character in their brew. There are plenty of beers I've had over my drinking years that have 'dared' to push the boundaries that I have actually enjoyed, OG Arrogant Bastard included. Plainly as I can put, this is just gross. Like eating a box of band-aids that have been smoked over a campfire for a few hours.

1.18/5  rDev -67.1%

Think about an athlete at a 3 hour practice in august. Then at the end of practice taking off his shoes and squeezing all the sweat out of the socks in to a glass. That's what this beer tastes like. It is so bad it is entertaining. I wanted to wake my neighbors up and make them taste it. It is that bad. Two stroke fuel. Floor polish. Disgusting. Reviewers that give this abomination a good review should have their profile suspended.

1.18/5  rDev -67.1%

Stone what have you done!?

This beer was absolutely terrible!
Now I'm not a fan of Islay scotch and it was my fault for not fully reading the label till after I opened it so I know that's why I didn't like it. Still felt I had to post this. There is not much from Stone that I have tried and not liked but this was one the worst things I've consumed from anyone.

Super peaty and Smokey, I get notes of iodine as well. I personally can not taste any of the base beer, I get a very light hop bitterness other than that it is all scotch.

If you appreciate Islay scotch you will probably like this if not stay away!

4.2/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Fremont small snifter. Pours a medium to dark red-orange with a thin light khaki head that dissipates to patches with light, slippery lacing. Aroma dominated by peat with maybe hints of dark fruit and caramel malt. Flavor is also peat forward; smoky, leathery and traces of sea salt iodine, but supported by a deep malt base with faint caramel notes and hints of oak. Finishes with smoked peatm light caramel sweetness and some mild hop bitterness. Medium bodied with good creaminess. Although a fresh bottle, the base beer tastes like a well aged DB, with the hops well tamed with the malt and barrel character completely mellowed and a good dollop of quality scotch thrown in. I don't think I'd waste my Laphroaig on a boilermaker, but if I would, this is what I'd hope for. The malt body is so mellow that it is hard to decipher the flavors in it, but they are nice and supporting. It's barely identifiable as DB, but it would take that big ale to support this smoked peat. The scotch influence is great. I notice that this is a divisive beer and many people do not have experience and/or taste for peaty scotch. I'm a huge Laphroaig fan and this is as close to that nectar as I'll ever have in a beer. A remarkable production. I hope I can get some more bottles. I'm sitting here writing this with residual smoked peat still resting on my tongue. This is really good, I'm a happy camper.

1.06/5  rDev -70.5%

One of the worst beers I've had to date.
Not a huge fan of peat taste, or smokey beers, but my buddy insisted we buy it.
Smells like sharpy and paint. We split a 22 oz bomber 3 ways and had to force it down. I can see someone liking it if they just love peaty scotch, but not for me.

Bomber--Bottled 10.14.2016 - Consumed 10.29.2016

This may be the perfect beer. If you appreciate scotch from the island of islay--and strong beers aged in wood barrels, you may have found your new number one as well....

Tons of peaty deliciousness delivered via the laphroaig barrels...you can taste it on your lips long after drinking....as satisfying as drinking the real thing....the flavor runs dark and deep...there is an additional dry finish at the end that can be attributed to the portion aged in templeton rye barrels....strong peaty aroma to accompany the intense flavor.....excellent to pair with bacon or any other smoked meat that is available....

At 13% you taste no alcohol....Taste the wood, the peat, the whiskey and the rye...and don't forget the double bastard---this has to be a strong beer to carry these flavors...

The IPA is my favorite style of beer. Laphroaig is my go to Scotch. Backwoods Bastard has hands down been my favorite beer since first tasting in 2010--- 2016 may have seen the champ dethroned---Bigger, Longer and Uncut has now taken the #1 spot.

Prepare yourself --this is a sipper for sure, but by the time it warms up --there is nothing else that can compare.

4.53/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Trick or treat, smell my feet, why did you buy this if you don't like peat? This, much like all the other Stone limited brews (c.f. Crime & Punishment) delivers exactly what it promises! All hail its peaty ridiculousness! Delicious!

1.5/5  rDev -58.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

i love islay scotch. if i am drinking scotch, it is islay. nothing like that peaty, smoky, salty flavor. however, when i am drinking a beer, i am typically searching for nuance. a deft hand. balance. this beer offers nothing in that regard. this beer offers very little in addition to that islay scotch profile. there does exist a very hard-to-find base beer lurking underneath, but after having your palate wrecked by the scotch profile, it offers no comfort. unless you LOVE (and i mean love!) islay, this is probably a pass. and even then, as a beer, i'd be happy to move on to almost anything else.

4.86/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

So, has anyone ever had an Islay influenced beer before? By reading these posts is seems most people have not. My brother and I have traveled far and wide to try these type of rare beers, some rich, some not. I would have to say that below the $20 mark this beer hits the smell and flavor of Islay single malt Scotch from the likes of Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Ardberg quite remarkably. So, IPA drinkers beware, this is not a hipster beer, but a true beer lover's and brew master's creation that requires wide beer drinking experience and full-spectrum beer world knowledge to appreciate. After you try about 1000 different beers and world culinary cooking styles come back and try this again. Try the Scotches from all the regions of a Scotland and try to understand why they are inherently different and appreciated. This beer captures that essence.

4.69/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Stone Double Bastard: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

A: This Scotch-aged version of the already intense Double Bastard pours a crystal-clear, deep ruby brown, like tobacco spit or rusty water. There is about a half-finger of khaki head, but it is short-lived, sinking to a small collar. Lacing is great and alcohol legs are more than evident, which is expected at a massive 13% ABV. Carbonation appears slight, but that is probably a function of the viscosity, barrel-aging, and the aforementioned high alcohol. More head would be nice, but this looks great for the style. 4.5/5

A: The Lagavulin casks bring a dominant, iodine smokiness. Seaweed, rocky seashores, tar, and earthy peat are all huge as well. Underneath the barrel, classic Arrogant Bastard notes of heavy earthy and piney hopping, tons of toffee, sweet tobacco, figs, dates, and caramel. Vanilla is contributed by the barrel and is present throughout. This is brilliantly complex, and the alcohol is completely undetectable. What more could one want from a barrel-aged American strong ale? 4.75/5

T: If the nose gave the impression of refinement and class, the taste pulls a classic Stone and slaps the tongue around unrelentingly. This is brash, intense, and unapologetic. There is a reason that Arrogant Bastard is Stone's flagship: it is emblematic of their entire brand and attitude; this is even more so with the addition of the unique extremities that Lagavulin brings. Up front is a brutal sucker punch: all iodine, tar, earthy and funky peat, bitter and piney/earthy hops, and acrid sea air. In the middle, the Bastard rubs its unclenched hand over the palate softly and almost apologetically with sweet orange marmalade, cherry, almond, coconut, vanilla, toffee, caramel, sweet tobacco, cooked seaweed, figs, and dates. This was all a ruse, though, as the Bastard finishes with a leg sweep of tannic oak, earthy hop bitterness, smokey tobacco, and a final blast of umami. Alcohol is there but very well-hidden. This will undoubtedly be too much for many people, which is exactly what Stone would say, tongue firmly in cheek, but as a reviewer it must be noted that this very intense on every possible level, and it shows no class, restraint, or subtlety (though it is very well-crafted to corral this flavor hurricane and make it all work). 4.75/5

M: Here lies the only real hitch in this beer. The mouthfeel is surprisingly only medium full, and not the thick, syrupy, hefty beer one would expect. It both works and it does not. The drinkability is helped immensely by this, but it also comes off more bitter, dryer, and more oppressive as a result. There is a stickiness left on the lips. Carbonation is relatively low. Alcohol heat is there but on the low end of moderate. The unparalleled intensity just does not work so well here. 4.25/5

O: This is an amazing beer, worthy of much more hype than it is getting, and while I do not factor price into my ratings, $9 feels like stealing from Stone on this beer. This is not for everyone; Double Bastard is not for everyone, and Islay whisky only reinforces that. Still, if you love balls-to-the-wall intensity, smokey whisky, and classic Stone character, this is as good as it gets. Pair with the similarly destructive and underrated "Sacred White Noise" by Thantifaxath. 4.75/5

1.18/5  rDev -67.1%

Looks good. That's where anything good ends. If this isn't the worst beer I've ever had, I don't remember the worst. I'm a big Stone fan, but imo, this is undrinkable.

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

With an extra arrogant approach to the scotch barrel-aged version of Double Bastard Ale, the larger-than-life malts and its equal part hop bitterness are quickly dwarfed by the super aggressive peat, smoke, pepper and whisky flavor of Islay barrels. Man those are strong scotch whiskies!

Hazy mahogany and crowned with a dense sepia stained meringue, the strong earth and peat of the ale leads with strong medicinal notes, ripe churchill cigar, and a sweeter caramel and honey scent. Its taste of caramel, toasted grain, buckwheat honey, granola and toast pile on the early palate and brace for the high whisky character that follows.

And that's when the fireworks on the palate really begins. As the sweetness begins to drift, the arid smoke of scotch rolls onto the tongue. Mesquite, hickory and oak is nutty, fragrant with smoke and has an earthy tar, tobacco and pepper taste. Strong pepper character builds in as the ale finishes malty-dry with lasting impressions of throat lasagne, burnt citrus, pine sap, ash and sweet pipe tobacco.

Medium-full on the body, the beer's premiere spice complexity is of smoky phenols, grassy hops, strong bandaid, lit cigar, fresh-cracked peppercorn and of course extreme whisky spice. Never mind the oak tannins and their smoldering ember character- leading to an out-of-balance session that's not sweet enough to balance the whisky but not dry enough to appease true scotch lovers.

4.34/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber bottled 8 months ago. This could probably sit a year or two? Would be interesting to see what would develop.

Deep amber in color with light tan head and light lacing.

Aroma is oak and smoke.

Taste (and yes, everybody's is different) is like it smells. Peaty scotch, Lapsang Souchong tea, some Mezcals . . . .If you like them, this is it. For some, it might be a bit unbearable. Charred oak, caramel and a slight bitterness. You get just a bit of the heat without too much of the 'booziness' you might expect from the ABV and whiskey.

Mouthfeel is fairly thick but not syrupy. Appropriate far this type.

Since this was released in the fall, it certainly would be awesome sitting by a fire on a cold winter night. It's now almost summer with and a pepperoni pizza is kind of nice.

Certainly not for everyone as are peaty scotches and mezcals, but I'm liking it.

Mouth

4.62/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Difficult to find this beer. I bought two bottles, one for the cellar.

Poured a light caramel color in Stone Double Bastard glass. Perfect for this beer, and I'll be using it more often for American Strong ales.

Smoke and peat- overwhelming. This is the peatiest aroma in beer I have ever tasted.
Smoke. Smoking peat. 100% aged in Islay whiskey barrels.

Single malts like Macallan which I like have this character also.
The taste is even more pronounced than the aroma- you can taste the smoky peat with a touch of vanilla.

Warming is key here. 55+ Full flavor.

The finish is slightly bitter with the smoky peaty flavor on the edge of my tongue.

This is an extremists beer. No doubt. Terrific. Not for everyone, perhaps too over the top for some beer geeks. My favorite beer from Stone. It's what American craft beer is all about.

4.48/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I love Islay scotch. Peat is my favorite character of scotch. This tastes like you accidentally dropped a shot of Ardbeg into your beer, just like you already did earlier. Minutes after your last sip, you only taste the scotch. One reviewer mentioned Mccallan. But this beer really is a peat monster. I think it tastes and smells like Ardbeg. But I could see someone saying Lagavulin. It's a crazy beer. Like two drinks in one. I appreciate it.

1.16/5  rDev -67.7%

I thought for sure that I had a contaminated bottle, and I thought I'd check here first to see if I was the only one. I'm not alone. I smelled and tasted something very strange, but it couldn't put my finger on it and now I know why. The smell and taste were just nothing you associate with beer ... magic marker and solvent. It's hard to imagine a brewery releasing this. I had to learn to like IPAs, but I could drink them before I enjoyed them. This? No way. I feel like I'm poisoning myself.

4.21/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

As others have stated, you should not buy this beer unless you know what Islay single malt tastes like. If you like Laphroaig or Lagavullin, this beer is right up your alley. Tons of smoky peaty malt flavor, oak, earthy notes, very little whisky burn, and still a little bit of that Double Bastard bitterness. ABV is well hidden. This is a sipper for winter time, and a great beer for sharing. "Not for amatuers." Cheers.

3.84/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Didn't know what to expect from this. After drinking I'm still having a hard time decided how to review this. Strangest beer I've ever had. There is definitely some good barrel flavor with a hint of vanilla along with the pest flavor. Every time a took a sip I though to myself this is kind of gross but then my opinion quickly changed and I kind of liked it. It's difineatly a sipper taking over 2 hours to drink and I did have a hard time finishing the final third of bottle due to the booziness. It did give me a good buzz. Just such a different and unique beer.

It is what it says it is. If you don't like peaty scotch, you won't like this one. The peat does overwhelm a bit, but that's to be expected. It's interesting to see what beer can be made to taste like, and Stone does a great job pushing the envelope here.

Very peaty smoky beer which is why ratings are low I assume. This is clearly for scotch drinkers, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Decent beer overall IF you like scotch

4.85/5  rDev +35.1%

A true master piece!

The pour is straight up double bastard, thick, deep, kinda brown, with a marginal head and surprisingly sticky lacing.

I have good days and bad days with picking up nose on beer. I'm not getting a lot on this. Some peat is certainly there, citrus hops as well. There's a good body of rich sugary caramel and maybe toffee, but as I said I'm not getting enough and I think it's me.

Double bastard provides one of the few non stouts with enough body and malt to play well with an islay scotch. Massive peat sits on top of the powerful double bastard ale's overly sweet and rich malt back. My understanding is this is only half barrel aged and half raw and I think they nailed it. The double bastard opens the beer up, giving a nice sweet and slightly hoppy/citrus opening and then peat just explodes! The best part of the peat is that it lingers and just doesn't stop lingering. Bourbon does NOT last this long. This beer could honestly take someone savoring it 2-3 hours to consume as that beat will just stay with you.

The other great part of the blending vs all barrel age is that the beer is extremely well carbonated and it has a wonderful mouth feel. Again, I don't think this works as well with a bourbon barrel as bourbon just isn't this strong of a flavor and I want more bourbon always. Here they nailed the peat without letting it take the beer completely out of things. This has been an issue for some of stones other beers, they added so many flavors that the beer was lost.

I can't state how great this one is. You really need try this if you like peat. If you don't like peat, you may want to pass :)

Finishing the bottle, I'm realizing I'm getting a bit of vegetable finish. It is mixed in the peat (don't think smoke on this one btw) but I'm getting a very vegetable ending. It's not a good or bad thing here really and doesn't impact my score, it's just an interesting note that I didn't get at first.

2.83/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Pours a rich deep reddish orange with a half finger off white head atop.Smoke and peat in the nose with some caramel and sweet alcohol,ohhhh the peat.Holy Toledo smoke and peat on the palate!To me nothing else can get thru the peat bog and smoke,the DB character of this beer is lost by the onslaught of whiskey smoked peat flavors,where is the rich mix of caramel and big hops?!Sorry to me this is a waste of a fantastic base beer,I like Scotch...I really do, but this way to heavy handed,not a fan...at all.Call me crazy but the lingering after taste reminds me of horseradish,it really does.

3.81/5  rDev +6.1%