Crime

SCORE
Okay
CrimeCrime
Notes: A habitual offender returns
This beer is the result of what many beer enthusiasts would consider a most egregious crime―sequestering Arrogant Bastard Ale, Double Bastard Ale and OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale in Kentucky bourbon barrels, then blending them together with chile peppers. This new version of Crime is still very hoppy in spite of the barrel aging, with lots of oak and malt. The long finish reveals layers of oak, vanilla, bourbon, and malt that combine to produce complex caramel flavors, with peppers adding pleasant tamarind, subtle tropical fruit flavors and a milder heat than in previous concoctions.
View: Beers
Reviews: 125 | Ratings: 532 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by travolta:
travolta from California

4.23/5  rDev +41%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

App: Ruby and amber in color, dense and deep. Yeast and other particles flatting around even from the first pour. A cappuccino head with nice retention and good lacing. Not their most beautiful beer, but very attractive.

Nose: The dusty and musty green skins of chilies. Green and fresh. It finishes with a very faint malty foundation. Vanilla malty sweetness. What a unique nose!

Taste: Smooth up front with excellent carbonation and mouthfeel. Hotness comes in and stays until you swallow. Then, it sticks around for a bit. Perfect level of a thick carmel foundation. Oak brings the hotness and carmel together. The heat stays on your palate for a while.

Notes: This is right up to the edge of what a chile beer can be without making it bad. As far as chile beers go, this may be the best balanced I have had.

Dec 06, 2013
atomic from Illinois

1.24/5  rDev -58.7%

This is indeed a crime.

A: I always give beers a 5 for appearance because I don't think the appearance of a beer should detract from its rating, If I could have given this beer 1s across the board, I would.
This one had a nice burnt amber color.

S: god awful. Smells like plastic honestly.

T: Complete mess. No pleasant taste what so ever, just hot peppers.

M: Pain? Just pain.

O: Its a shame that Stone would make such garbage, its even a bigger shame they'd make it so expensive. This bottle was $18 I think? More than $1 per ounce for a drain pour? Such a waste of money and barrels.

Dec 09, 2013
Ngntjp from Virginia

4.25/5  rDev +41.7%

Now THERE'S the chili beer I've been looking for! Holy hell this is hot. I am a heat lover through and through and have wanted to experience the paradoxical situation of drinking something that's intensely spicy and then reaching for the same glass the cleanse that heat from my palate. This does exactly that. There are plenty of flavors here though. If you can make it through the heat you can definitely taste a "woody" ale. I'm guessing it's from the Oaked arrogant bastard but there's a charred and peppery green bell pepper flavor that I'm getting too that's mixing in with it nicely from the variety of chilis in this. I can't stop drinking it. Heat isn't everyone's bag, but it's a very different beast to try and enjoy all of the flavors in here while still experiencing (and possibly enjoying depending on your tastes) the burn. With a sweaty brow, nostrils running, and a mouth in burning beverage heaven, I absolutely recommend this to those looking for over the top spicy brews. Damn, I should've bought more!

Sep 10, 2014
BEERMILER12 from Maine

3.89/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

500 mL bottle, Vintage 2015

A: Pours a murky reddish brown color with 2 fingers of head that slowly fades down to a decent cap that leaves some good lacing

S: Very malty up front with some smooth oaky, vanilla, and bourbon notes as well as some restrained peppery heat. Definitely mostly Lukcy Bastard with a little heat

T: The peppery heat comes alive to start things off, but again, it's not nearly as overwhelming as some of the reviews claim. Some nice maltiness cuts the initial heat, followed by some sweetness from the bourbon barrels. Vanilla and oak are nice and subtle, but compliment the heat and base in a unique and interesting way. Any alcohol is completely covered by the malt and capsaicin heat. Finishes with lingering heat and some earthy hop presence

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation

O: Despite the mostly shitty reviews due to people handling heat in a very poor way, this one was a very solid brew with the BBA Lukcy Bastard being complimented by the peppers in a unique way that you simply won't find in very many places, if at all aside from G. Koch & Co. a la Stone. Obviously, if you don't like heat, you won't like this beer. At all. If you like spicy things, this one might be for you as long as the $17 price tag doesn't defer you

Oct 22, 2015
RLVineh from California

4.12/5  rDev +37.3%

Again this series has been misjudged, it is great for what it is. its a damn spicy gimmicky beer, but it is great. much more tolerable than punishment i enjoyed these beers

Apr 16, 2015
McThulhu from Minnesota

Never on this site have I seen a more divisive beer. Full disclosure, I love chili beer. This should be fun.

Looks like a dark IPA, smells and tastes like habañero peppers. So damn good!

What did you all expect?

Jan 06, 2015
jasonmason from California

1.43/5  rDev -52.3%

To think that this started out as Lucky Bastard, and ended up as...this. That is itself is enough to consider what was perpetuated here as a crime. Sadly, it got much worse.

Tried this on tap at Stone Winter Storm at Stone's Bistro on the day of it's release.

A: Poured a red-copper hue, maybe slightly more copper than normal Lucky Bastard. Slight head, which dissipated quickly.

S: Not nearly as much nose as I would have expected, in retrospect. Slightly sweet, strangely mingled with the hint of peppers, which gave it an almost plasticly off-note. Disjointed; had I smelled this anywhere else, I immediately would have wondered if something was off.

T: Good lord, why the peppers? Why? Lucky Bastard in barrels itself would probably have been great, would have serve to mellow or round out perhaps some of that sweetness that is it's hallmark. Instead, that potential was wrecked absolutely by the inclusion of pepper heat to the point of throwing the entire beer off the rails. The entire taste was out of sync, the heat of the peppers fighting the sweetness of the base LB. At the same time the barrel character was utterly at odds with the peppers.

M: Somehow at the same time thin and coating. I could not get the awful pepper burn out of my mouth for the longest time.

D: Between my girlfriend and I, neither of us could manage a few sips, to just sample it. I actually had to taste it more than once, thinking that it really couldn't be as bad as I was thinking at was. I think we made it through maybe 1 1/2 ounces of a 4oz pour.

By far the worst beer I have ever had from Stone. I would never, ever order this beer again.

Feb 07, 2011
BEERchitect from Kentucky

4.15/5  rDev +38.3%

The self-deprecating side of Stone Brewing says that they ruined a perfectly good batch of Lukcy Basartd. But what they did was to take it from an aggressively hopped, barreled and boozed elixir that's caught between drinkalble and savory and into something that's aggressively peppered but smoothened for a much more food-friendly approach.

Rust, honey, apricot and camel explain the bulk of the hazy hues that bounce from the glass. A partial-creamy froth. And as the obvious smoked pepper twinge of heat billow into the nose, so does a rounded caramel, toast, cashew and oak fragrance. Its taste is remarkably sweet with caramel, toffee, biscuit, honey and fruit jam... at least to start.

And the ale simply blossoms across the palate. As its malty-sweet, poundcake texture softens, the beer's sharp citrusy character of grapefruit and orange peel, pith and rind rises for a piquant flavor that accessorizes the taste of apricot and mango marmalade. Oak, peppercorn, vanilla, coffee and soft buttery nuttiness keep coming until the warm and fruity taste of toasted peppers offer their pulp, flesh and spicy, seedy simmering heat.

Malty-sweet, bitter-sweet and remarkably balanced, the beer finishes with cream and oak tannin while the green taste of garden peppers seem green-bean-like. Torn pinecone and a dash of spicy hot sauce round out the aftertaste while the ale stays surprisingly even-keel in the deepest of tastes.

Dec 03, 2015
Wasatch from Colorado

4.13/5  rDev +37.7%

750ml Bottle
Caged/Corked
2013 Series
Batch No. 08

Poured into a chalice a nice slightly cloudy golden amber color, very nice carbonation, with a nice one-finger creamy off-white head, which leaves some small islands and some nice sticky lacing. The nose is hoppy, with some nice malt notes, some pepper/spice notes, some dark fruits. The taste is pretty good, kinda reminds me of a barleywine with hot peppers, hoppy, slight malt note, dark fruits, very spicy/hot for a beer. Medium body, with a slightly dry/bitter/hot finish. Overall, a very tasty/nice brew, surprised the shit out of me how hot/spicy this brew is, definitely a few notches above any spicy/chile brew I've ever had to date.

Sep 13, 2015
maximum12 from Minnesota

Small 500ML bottle picked up despite the warning from my friendly local beer pusher. I looked around for Punishment & couldn't find it. May have been a blessing in diguise. Split with my wife.

The pour is very dark orange with a few droplets of sacrificial blood to darken it up. Tons & tons of floaties. Then I lick the 1/192 ounce of dribble rolling down the glass....eehhh. The nose is dirty chiles. Chiles. Chiles. I think the label said something about them.

Crime literally made me grab my throat after one sip - holy horrific fuck. Not only is there too much heat for the surface of the sun, it tastes like rancid sewage. What happened to the good base beer? Or the bourbon? It's like the dirt the chiles were grown in was dumped wholesale into the kettle. I consider just pouring it into the drain. Then I think about the cost of a plumber & think I'll toss it outside. Then I think about my poor grass. WTF do I do with this? I need some kind of toxic container.

Good. Lord. One. Sip. Worst. Beer. Ever.

Mar 01, 2014
Jordy777 from Illinois

1.42/5  rDev -52.7%

When I was 17, one of my friends sprayed pepper spray in my basement. Drinking this was a terrible reminder of that day.

Mar 05, 2015

Dec 16, 2013
jwhancher from Pennsylvania

3.94/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Celebrated New Year's Day with a glass of this a friend brought over to graciously share. Poured into large tulip glass. NOTE: I am a hot pepper lover and eat peppers and/or use hot pepper sauce almost daily. With that in mind, my review is likely biased.

Poured a dark golden to orange color with head that faded rather quick to a lacing. Bottle art pretty cool with corked & caged presentation. Smells of intensely fresh, green hot peppers. Reminds me of frying up some chopped habanero in a frying pan with olive oil with the heat just volatizing. Very intense heat not for the timid or faint of heart. But I like it. Don't get the oak or bourbon in the nose as the peppers pretty much mask everything else, including hops.

Tastes intensely green pepper fresh - again reminds me mostly of habaneros- along with fresh jalapeños. Then a wave of caramel and vanilla, likely from the malt & from the oak, then another wave of intense lingering heat. For my tastes, the heat is manageable - even enjoyable - but for those not liking a lot of spice or kick or heat, then this one is not for you.

Feels perceivably medium to full with good malt to bitterness. The amped up heat trick the mind into thinking this is a full beer because you simply must sip this due to the high levels of spicy pepper goodness. I mean, you wouldn't chug a bottle of hot sauce, would you? Nice carbonation. Alcohol well in check with no noticeable solventy character.

Overall, a very nice hot pepper chili beer. Somewhat one-dimensional and obviously not for those who don't like liquid heat. I think some of the other qualities of this beer (hops, oak, bourbon) are unfortunately masked. I dig that Stone tried pushing the boundaries with this. I would certainly drink again if offered the opportunity.

Jan 02, 2014
Fcolle2 from Illinois

2.71/5  rDev -9.7%

I was told this was a little hot when it first came out so I cellered it for 2 years. Pours dark Amber in color with a nice light kahiki head. Smell has tons of hot pepper aromas forward. Some nice vanilla oak and toffe aromas in the background give this a unique aroma. Woah the peppers in this are overwhelmingly hot and overpower everything else.

Oct 15, 2015
andrewinski1 from New Hampshire

2.78/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured into a chalice. The color is hazy brown; deep caramel. There is a nice off-white sticky head.

The aroma is very unique. There is a lot of chili pepper in the aroma. This smells like green salsa. Interesting.

Okay, first sip and this is a firebomb! This is crazy spicy. I try to pick out some other flavors but I can't really. It doesn't seem much point that there is any beer flavor in this at all since the spiciness dominates.

This is a full bodied beer; though it's difficult to tell because my mouth is numb. This is a fun beer to try, don't think I'll be going back for more though.

Dec 07, 2013
Fettpopps from Massachusetts

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

Mar 22, 2014
TucsonTom from Arizona

2.24/5  rDev -25.3%

I've been wanting to try Crime, but didn't like the bottle price. I got my chance when it turned up as part of a tap takeover at Tap + Bottle in Tucson, Ariz.

Crime looks like a good beer with a dominant pepper smell. I've had pepper beers in the past and enjoyed their unique taste and heat.

But while Crime may LOOK like a beer, it's really a mass of pepper juice. I like peppers, but this was TOO much. I intentionally waited after my first sip to see how long the burning lasted. I stopped waiting after 20 minutes.

Stone's name for the beer and its marketing copy are correct. The "beer" is most certainly a crime and should be poured down the drain ...

... which it apparently was at the tap takeover event. A guy sitting two stools away from me left with his four-ounce taster of Crime sitting with just one taste taken. After a while the bartender took it away and smelled it. "I'll be picking up a lot of these tonight," he mumbled to himself.

Jan 24, 2014
Kmat10 from Canada (AB)

3/5  rDev 0%

Mar 11, 2014
NatSmith from South Carolina

4.16/5  rDev +38.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Jan 04, 2016