Crime | Arrogant Brewing

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: Chile Beer

A habitual offender returns
This beer is the result of what many beer enthusiasts would consider a most egregious crime―sequestering Arrogant Bastard Ale, Double Bastard Ale and OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale in Kentucky bourbon barrels, then blending them together with chile peppers. This new version of Crime is still very hoppy in spite of the barrel aging, with lots of oak and malt. The long finish reveals layers of oak, vanilla, bourbon, and malt that combine to produce complex caramel flavors, with peppers adding pleasant tamarind, subtle tropical fruit flavors and a milder heat than in previous concoctions.

Added by womencantsail on 02-06-2011

2015 Bottle Drank on 2016-10-04:
I've been drinking Crime since it first became available in Ohio with the 2013 batch. Always been a fan, and embraced the heat in full force. While the 2013 bottles still holds my nostalgia, the 2015 batch toned down the heat in favor of a more overall-enjoyable palate. Now drinking my third bottle of Crime, with around a year of aging, I may find preference in the severely toned down version. Definitely going to seek out more bottles of Crime for more intensive bottle aging - looking forward to opening my matching bottle of Punishment sometime in 2017. Overall, Crime remains a highly overlooked and harshly critiqued beer. If you don't like difficult spices, stay away, that much should be obvious.

Never on this site have I seen a more divisive beer. Full disclosure, I love chili beer. This should be fun.

Looks like a dark IPA, smells and tastes like habañero peppers. So damn good!

What did you all expect?

4.81/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I think this beer is absolutely wonderful. The smell is insane - just really fresh chile peppers. The taste is just as good. I have to say I tasted zero barrel or bourbon, but that doesn't matter. The pepper taste is spectacular. Very hot, but not just heat, very fresh and complex. It is like you can taste each individual style of pepper. My favorite beer from Stone.

4.77/5  rDev +46.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really MUST be out of my mind. Really, people tell me that... I never take it seriously but looking at the rating on this and then thinking of how much I enjoy it. Wow.

I'll put this on the table to begin with though, I love spicy foods. Of course, that have the "right" amount. And my tolerance is high, but not astronomical by any means either.

Pours a deep beautiful rust. With hues of light brown, scarlet, and orange, with a thin trace of carbonation that lingers as gentle tan clouds over the surface. Very beautiful. Just what I had hoped for.

The smell whips forward with the bouquet of peppers, touches of vanilla, a hint of bourbon buried beneath, a hint of smokiness, some caramel, and maybe just the slightest touch of booze amongst the peppers. It is a bit strange, it has an odd scent that is no doubt a result of the total intermingling and peppery oiliness. But, I can certainly overlook it for the total complexity.

The taste, wow. Did I mention I like spicy foods. It comes in smokey and oily, quite earthy, dips quickly into caramel malts and then rolls with the smoke into the peppers that twist and turn with a certain crispness. There is a vanilla and bourbon tone that upholds them as the heat increases. The delicate notes of char reside with the sweet malt tones and then a pleasant heat is left on the lips and along the tone and in the throat a bit. The first sip is a bit of a shocker. But I am completely dumbfounded by the mounting and lingering heat and how with each sip I continue the entire experience again and again without losing taste. And as it warms, there are even more delicate notes of lemon and pine that begin to show up.

Mouthfeel is oily, but medium bodied and surprisingly free flowing for being a little above 9% ABV. And obviously, before I forget, oh yeah... it's hot.

Overall. I don't know, maybe I am just not a wuss. Maybe it's because I do have a high heat tolerance... maybe it's because I have not had a boatload of other pepper beers but have had enough to know what I have expected out of others over the years. This is no Cave Creek or Ghost Face Killah. This has complexity, it doesn't scorch me so bad I cannot enjoy the beer. And on a winter night like tonight, it warms you up... and really hits the spot. I would agree the price mark was steep, but I'm glad I got it. If you can't handle heat, don't eff'n buy it.

But, excuse me, there is a little smoked gouda awaiting a perfect pairing.

4.75/5  rDev +45.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.72/5  rDev +44.8%

Amazing. To forgo the usual ASTM grading I will simply think this brew through.
Going in to it I wasn't exactly sure what "with peppers added" meant, but damn was I pleased to find out.
I love spice, and have had a few beers of this nature let me down in the past.
The smell and taste and mouthfeel are amazing, to put simply.
If you like spicy things, the label should read "DRINK ME!".
One of the best brews I have had in a while now.

4.63/5  rDev +42%

4.56/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Peppers were still there after letting it sit

4.52/5  rDev +38.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Just cracked my 2013 bottle and I was... nervous. Now, about halfway done, nervous no more. If you like chili beers you will find the aroma pretty unbelievable -- I've had a few and this easily is the most potent. So green, for lack of a better word. I can imagine eating fresh jalapeños. There is a burn in the back of your throat and on your lips, but not crazy so long as you sip. I had "medium" hot Thai Tom Yum soup last week that was a lot closer to having me cry uncle than this. Very worthy for those who like it hot.

Crime from Arrogant Brewing