Crime | Arrogant Brewing

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: Chile Beer

A habitual offender returns
This beer is the result of what many beer enthusiasts would consider a most egregious crime―sequestering Arrogant Bastard Ale, Double Bastard Ale and OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale in Kentucky bourbon barrels, then blending them together with chile peppers. This new version of Crime is still very hoppy in spite of the barrel aging, with lots of oak and malt. The long finish reveals layers of oak, vanilla, bourbon, and malt that combine to produce complex caramel flavors, with peppers adding pleasant tamarind, subtle tropical fruit flavors and a milder heat than in previous concoctions.

Added by womencantsail on 02-06-2011

Reviews: 115 | Ratings: 510

2015 Bottle Drank on 2016-10-04:
I've been drinking Crime since it first became available in Ohio with the 2013 batch. Always been a fan, and embraced the heat in full force. While the 2013 bottles still holds my nostalgia, the 2015 batch toned down the heat in favor of a more overall-enjoyable palate. Now drinking my third bottle of Crime, with around a year of aging, I may find preference in the severely toned down version. Definitely going to seek out more bottles of Crime for more intensive bottle aging - looking forward to opening my matching bottle of Punishment sometime in 2017. Overall, Crime remains a highly overlooked and harshly critiqued beer. If you don't like difficult spices, stay away, that much should be obvious.

Never on this site have I seen a more divisive beer. Full disclosure, I love chili beer. This should be fun.

Looks like a dark IPA, smells and tastes like habañero peppers. So damn good!

What did you all expect?

4.81/5  rDev +48%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I think this beer is absolutely wonderful. The smell is insane - just really fresh chile peppers. The taste is just as good. I have to say I tasted zero barrel or bourbon, but that doesn't matter. The pepper taste is spectacular. Very hot, but not just heat, very fresh and complex. It is like you can taste each individual style of pepper. My favorite beer from Stone.

4.77/5  rDev +46.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really MUST be out of my mind. Really, people tell me that... I never take it seriously but looking at the rating on this and then thinking of how much I enjoy it. Wow.

I'll put this on the table to begin with though, I love spicy foods. Of course, that have the "right" amount. And my tolerance is high, but not astronomical by any means either.

Pours a deep beautiful rust. With hues of light brown, scarlet, and orange, with a thin trace of carbonation that lingers as gentle tan clouds over the surface. Very beautiful. Just what I had hoped for.

The smell whips forward with the bouquet of peppers, touches of vanilla, a hint of bourbon buried beneath, a hint of smokiness, some caramel, and maybe just the slightest touch of booze amongst the peppers. It is a bit strange, it has an odd scent that is no doubt a result of the total intermingling and peppery oiliness. But, I can certainly overlook it for the total complexity.

The taste, wow. Did I mention I like spicy foods. It comes in smokey and oily, quite earthy, dips quickly into caramel malts and then rolls with the smoke into the peppers that twist and turn with a certain crispness. There is a vanilla and bourbon tone that upholds them as the heat increases. The delicate notes of char reside with the sweet malt tones and then a pleasant heat is left on the lips and along the tone and in the throat a bit. The first sip is a bit of a shocker. But I am completely dumbfounded by the mounting and lingering heat and how with each sip I continue the entire experience again and again without losing taste. And as it warms, there are even more delicate notes of lemon and pine that begin to show up.

Mouthfeel is oily, but medium bodied and surprisingly free flowing for being a little above 9% ABV. And obviously, before I forget, oh yeah... it's hot.

Overall. I don't know, maybe I am just not a wuss. Maybe it's because I do have a high heat tolerance... maybe it's because I have not had a boatload of other pepper beers but have had enough to know what I have expected out of others over the years. This is no Cave Creek or Ghost Face Killah. This has complexity, it doesn't scorch me so bad I cannot enjoy the beer. And on a winter night like tonight, it warms you up... and really hits the spot. I would agree the price mark was steep, but I'm glad I got it. If you can't handle heat, don't eff'n buy it.

But, excuse me, there is a little smoked gouda awaiting a perfect pairing.

4.72/5  rDev +45.2%

Amazing. To forgo the usual ASTM grading I will simply think this brew through.
Going in to it I wasn't exactly sure what "with peppers added" meant, but damn was I pleased to find out.
I love spice, and have had a few beers of this nature let me down in the past.
The smell and taste and mouthfeel are amazing, to put simply.
If you like spicy things, the label should read "DRINK ME!".
One of the best brews I have had in a while now.

4.52/5  rDev +39.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Just cracked my 2013 bottle and I was... nervous. Now, about halfway done, nervous no more. If you like chili beers you will find the aroma pretty unbelievable -- I've had a few and this easily is the most potent. So green, for lack of a better word. I can imagine eating fresh jalapeños. There is a burn in the back of your throat and on your lips, but not crazy so long as you sip. I had "medium" hot Thai Tom Yum soup last week that was a lot closer to having me cry uncle than this. Very worthy for those who like it hot.

4.49/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Crime is getting a bad wrap from people who don't understand what this beer is. This beer is mouth punishing with peppers. Hot and spicy, the way Stone wanted it. This beer isn't meant to be consumed by one person eating cookies. It was made for small glasses and shared in good company with a cheese board. It's also fantastic to cook with; just make it a reduction and boil unflavored sausage in it.

4.47/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yeah I rated it high. Its everything the label says and then some! If you don't like heat, you wont enjoy this, but if you enjoy hot hot peppers your in for a treat!

4.35/5  rDev +33.8%

Not for those who do not enjoy heat. The Oaked bastard taste comes out very strongly, followed by an intense heat which lingers, and settles into the glorious lucky bastard finish. Fantastic.

4.34/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Poured into five wine glasses thanks to Chico1985 with a small white head. The cap has a foamy, frothy texture and falls fairly quickly down to just a small ring of bubbles. Lacing starts with some webs and spots but thins out beyond that.

S- Even with some age it is pretty much just a blast of fresh cut habaneros staring you down from the cutting board. Has that fumy, fruity vaporous hot pepper flesh attacking the nasal tracts. Some caramel malts, bourbon vanilla barrel and fruitiness but mostly just amazing fresh peppers.

T- Chile beer in its purest form, just like Punishment. Hot and spicy but tolerable for pretty much everyone in the room, some who are not huge chili eaters. Fruity and fume packed pepper spiciness and flavor fills the palate with just enough room for the beer aspect. Slight bit of bourbon whiskey, caramel, fruits and malts.

MF- Moderately thick bodied with a creamy overall texture. Medium carbonation provides a platform for those spicy, fruity pepper flavors to shine. Finishes with a palate coated in chili pepper heat.

It is a bit depressing how low the rating for this beer is. What do people expect in such a beer, especially a Chili beer. Crime and Punishment by Stone have captured by far the best, freshest hot pepper flavors of any chili beer I have had. Exemplary for the style, love/hate I suppose but I loved these beers.

4.27/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to my bro for buying me this as a Xmas gift. Had Punishment when it was released and loved it, glad to complete the duo. Dostoyevsky represent. Shared this was some people so I got a ~4 oz pour or so.

Appearance - Dark red, some floaties, off-white head. Thick ring and slight cap left.

Smell - Pure authentic pepper flesh. Trying to get more, hmm... caramel malt perhaps? Spicy peppers chopped up in a bowl right in front of you. Potent and rude.

Taste - Pure pepper veggie spice juice, close to biting into a deliciously hot chile. Lucky Basatrd? Bourbon? Eh maybe, not really though. It is definitely spicy but tolerable, it is not hot for the sake of being hot and has some depth, the authentic veggie vibe wins this for me. Probably a little less abrasive than Punishment overall.

Mouthfeel - Lightish feel with ample carbonation, perhaps a bit on the thinner side for the ABV, but that helps this beer go down. The alcohol is very well-hidden, perhaps the spice acts as a distraction.

Overall - Some of these rating make me lose faith in humanity. It's called Crime, Punishment is called Punishment, expect to be criminally punished, punished like a criminal, etc. I would honestly drink a small pour of this anytime, and would probably buy this somewhat often if not for the price. I am going to have to give Punishment another go sometime, and maybe save some of it for cooking. I like being punished, chiles and these beers.

4.26/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

In the glass the beer has substance. As you lift it to your mouth you get the pepper heat in the aroma but no direct burn in the mouth. It is mainly a smokey, peppery aftertaste that lingers and contributes to the depth of the beer. I love chili beers and this one is subtle.

4.25/5  rDev +30.8%

Now THERE'S the chili beer I've been looking for! Holy hell this is hot. I am a heat lover through and through and have wanted to experience the paradoxical situation of drinking something that's intensely spicy and then reaching for the same glass the cleanse that heat from my palate. This does exactly that. There are plenty of flavors here though. If you can make it through the heat you can definitely taste a "woody" ale. I'm guessing it's from the Oaked arrogant bastard but there's a charred and peppery green bell pepper flavor that I'm getting too that's mixing in with it nicely from the variety of chilis in this. I can't stop drinking it. Heat isn't everyone's bag, but it's a very different beast to try and enjoy all of the flavors in here while still experiencing (and possibly enjoying depending on your tastes) the burn. With a sweaty brow, nostrils running, and a mouth in burning beverage heaven, I absolutely recommend this to those looking for over the top spicy brews. Damn, I should've bought more!

4.24/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

We can’t explain how excited we are for this (and its counterpart). I mean Stone…chili beer…bring it on!! Coming off of all these bad reviews something just gets you psyched about it, especially since we love the Rogue beers (Voodoo) everyone loves to hate all over. Anyway, we’ll get to it. We crack the cage and cork on a bottle of Batch No 08, pouring a brew of rich mahogany into our oversized tasting snifters. A creamy one finger head of copper colored bubbles is produced, retaining well, and leaving islands and cords of lacing around the glasses. A chill haze cuts clarity harshly, but no sediment is noted. Carbonation appears to be active. The aroma gives the steely, vegetal, organic burn of pepper varietals, with particular inclusions of fresh, green jalapenos and salty, smoked tabasco sauce. It isn’t so much hot as it is fresh and heavy with peppered authenticity. This masks a base beer of charred smokiness, buttery diacetyls, warming bourbon, drying oak, brown sugar, thick caramel maltiness, maraschino cherry fruitiness, cotton candy, soy sauce, wheat crackers, and light cheddar cheese mustiness. Our first impression is that this is one spicy beverage, but not NEARLY as crazy as some people are making it out to be (unless you hold it and roll it over your tongue…then it’s like getting maced as it is driven up into your sinus…). Objectively, it is well spiced and well flavored. As we sip, the taste flashes with light caramels, toffees, and cooling vanilla bourbon respite, before a crashing dominance of jalapeno, habanero, black pepper, and smoked pepper fieriness crashes in. The middle peaks with balancing sweetness of caramel and brown sugar sweetness to meet some of the heat, along with acetone, almond extract, sesame seeds, and clean bourbon woodiness. The end squeezes out with more of the same heated bite, with bitter fusel booziness, raw and sappy oakiness, smoked pork, dried chipotle peppers, rich caramel malt sweetness, sweet twangs of ethanol undertones and straight bourbon warmth, and white rice dryness. The aftertaste breathes of caramel and coffee malt darkness, chive and scallion fumes, vanilla stem, commercial maple syrup, clean bourbon, hints of grassy hops, cool sriracha sauce, and a rolling burn of that fresh, seedy pepper medley. The body is rather thick, and carbonation is medium to high. Each sip gives nice slurp, smack, cream, and froth, but you have to be careful you don’t inhale too much and choke yourself. The mouth, chest, and abdomen are warmed entirely, with a slick, oily coating of spice through and through. The mouth otherwise experiences light pucker and reactionary salivation to help wash the capsaicin from the buds. The abv is appropriate, and as long as you take it slow, it shouldn’t kill you.

Overall, the best things about this brew are its nose and its taste. Honestly, as it seems with all the “failed” big-name brews on this site, many people ignore style and go straight for subjective, comparative value of their beers. This is the case here. The spice is wonderful, but you definitely have to be able to appreciate something spicy. It reminds us of Founders Spite series that they aged in wood with peppers. The habanero was the hottest of that series, and this reminds us of that. Crime might be a shade hotter off the bat, but by the end, it can only get so hot and it evens out. It actually smooths out with warmth quite a bit, and after the first half of the glass, allowing for much more of the bourbon and underlying caramel tastiness to shine though and balance things out. The “Bastard” series is a great base for this, affording gentle but sugary sweetness, and cooked warmth. It is so exciting to see such a hot and progressive beer like this bottled and distributed rather widely. If you want our advice, to enjoy this you must take it at face value for what it is, and not expect it to displace your current favorites. Rather, take to it with an open mind, and a love for spicy food, and you just might just find something delightful.

4.24/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle into snifter. Bottled October 2013.

A: Pours a murky dirty iced tea color with some tiny floaters beneath a soft light tan head that faded I to a fuzzy collar. Spotty lacing was left down the glass.
S: Spicy pepper nose remind me of fresh green peppers with a hint of roast. Sweet caramel and a touch of hop resin is in there as well.
T: Follows the nose with flavors of the base double bastard mixed with burning and flavorful green and habanero peppers. Pepper burn is spicy and flavorful and lingers long after the swallow. The hops resin accentuates the burn. Spicy and peppery, but not oily or overly hot.
M: Medium-full body, smooth and slick mouthfeel. Surprisingly not greasy or overly boozy, or as rough as I thought it would be. Smooth overall with a nice long linger heat.
O: Call me crazy but this was actually good. I wouldn't want to drink this often, but I actually enjoyed it more than other spicy beers I've had. More depth and complexity than I was expecting.

4.23/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

App: Ruby and amber in color, dense and deep. Yeast and other particles flatting around even from the first pour. A cappuccino head with nice retention and good lacing. Not their most beautiful beer, but very attractive.

Nose: The dusty and musty green skins of chilies. Green and fresh. It finishes with a very faint malty foundation. Vanilla malty sweetness. What a unique nose!

Taste: Smooth up front with excellent carbonation and mouthfeel. Hotness comes in and stays until you swallow. Then, it sticks around for a bit. Perfect level of a thick carmel foundation. Oak brings the hotness and carmel together. The heat stays on your palate for a while.

Notes: This is right up to the edge of what a chile beer can be without making it bad. As far as chile beers go, this may be the best balanced I have had.

4.22/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

500ml c&c bottle into a tulip at fridge temp, allowed to warm. 2015 iteration.

Look: clear burnt ochre with a lingering light tan head.

Smell: mostly Arrogant Bastard with a little bourbon; I'm not picking up anything from the peppers.

Taste: initial assault is of fairly vegetal pepper, but gives way quickly to caramel, toffee, lingering pepper spice (nothing worse than Tabasco, heatwise). The peppers themselves have quite a lot of complexity. It's hard to describe, but it isn't just one-dimensional "pepper" flavor. It's reminiscent of papaya seeds. There's also a lot of fruitiness (strawberry, grapefruit, papaya, kiwi) in the taste overall.

Feel: medium-plus in the body—creamy and delicious.

Overall: I took a flyer buying this beer, but suspected I'd be in the minority who'd enjoy it (the supposedly milder 2015 version, anyway). And enjoy it I did. The peppers complement the brash base beer nicely, while the barrel rounds everything out. Will probably grab another bottle, high price notwithstanding.

4.19/5  rDev +28.9%

Poured from a (pretty cool) 500 mL bottle into a snifter. This is pretty fresh, as it was bottled October 2013.

Appearance: Pours a deep cherry and leaves a finger of light tan head which slowly fades.

Smell: Wow, big ghost pepper upfront. I really do enjoy the flavor of the pepper in general, but the heat that comes with it is generally fairly unbearable - we'll see what happens here. Other hot pepper smells as well, all fresh from the garden. In the background, I do get bourbon, caramel, and some light chocolate, but beyond that I can't get much. The peppers are very dominant. I love hot peppers, and this smell is hot peppers.

Taste: Starts sweet with some caramel, vanilla and malts. Pretty quickly after this it shifts to the hot peppers and plenty of spice. The hot pepper flavor here is more of a garden variety - not as dominated by the ghost pepper as the aroma (but ghost pepper definitely still stands out the most). Definitely the spiciest beer I've ever had to this point. After the taste, the flavor of fresh hot peppers lingers, especially jalapeno. The spice lingers, but does go away faster than eating, say, a fresh habanero.

Mouth-feel: Low carbonation with a nice medium to thick body. Nice and creamy. I wish I could swish this around in my mouth longer, but the heat makes it tough. Finishes spicy.

Overall: I love the smell, and the creamy body is really nice. This beer is pretty spicy - but not TOO spicy. It does get a little painful - but that comes with the task of enjoying the flavors from hot peppers. I wish I could extract a bit more of the base beer and the barrel aspects, but the peppers dominate the profile. The very beginning of the sip is nice and sweet and must come from the barrel. An interesting beer for sure. If you don't love peppers, you will not enjoy this beer. I recommend pairing this with water and bread.

4.15/5  rDev +27.7%

The self-deprecating side of Stone Brewing says that they ruined a perfectly good batch of Lukcy Basartd. But what they did was to take it from an aggressively hopped, barreled and boozed elixir that's caught between drinkalble and savory and into something that's aggressively peppered but smoothened for a much more food-friendly approach.

Rust, honey, apricot and camel explain the bulk of the hazy hues that bounce from the glass. A partial-creamy froth. And as the obvious smoked pepper twinge of heat billow into the nose, so does a rounded caramel, toast, cashew and oak fragrance. Its taste is remarkably sweet with caramel, toffee, biscuit, honey and fruit jam... at least to start.

And the ale simply blossoms across the palate. As its malty-sweet, poundcake texture softens, the beer's sharp citrusy character of grapefruit and orange peel, pith and rind rises for a piquant flavor that accessorizes the taste of apricot and mango marmalade. Oak, peppercorn, vanilla, coffee and soft buttery nuttiness keep coming until the warm and fruity taste of toasted peppers offer their pulp, flesh and spicy, seedy simmering heat.

Malty-sweet, bitter-sweet and remarkably balanced, the beer finishes with cream and oak tannin while the green taste of garden peppers seem green-bean-like. Torn pinecone and a dash of spicy hot sauce round out the aftertaste while the ale stays surprisingly even-keel in the deepest of tastes.

4.14/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

500 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a snifter.
9.6% ABV, 102 IBUs,

A - While the bottle is almost black in color, the beer's clarity shows off Crime's rich ruby amber color with fantastic brilliance. A halo of ivory foam rests on the beer leaving no lace in it's wake.

S - Crime's massive blend of chilies gives the aroma a stunning sharpness that's got quite a bit of heat on it, almost setting in heartburn before it hits the stomach lining. Smooth toasted malt makes for a nice and robust base though, as Lucky Basartd barely shows more than a suggestion of it's time in bourbon barrels. I'm legitimately nervous of the first sip.

T - While Crime is undoubtedly a hot chili beer, the base of Lucky Basartd and it's rich maltiness isn't forgotten or completely destroyed by pepper flavor and heat but nicely complimentary to the mammoth level of chilies. Contradictory, there's absolutely no indication this beer has spent time in a bourbon barrel when it comes to the flavor; given a few seconds on the tongue, chili meat is all that's left.

M - This medium-bodied amber ale has a nice malty base to it but that disappears after about 1.5 seconds. At 1.6 seconds, Crime becomes one of the hottest chili beers on the market (*I'm having Punishment next) and mixes a massive amount of chili flavor with straight tongue-singing heat. With each sip I can feel the beer hit my stomach and start churning so, Tums might be in order. Additionally, my face feels slightly flush but I haven't begun to sweat from my eyelids yet so, while it'll stick around with you, Crime's heat is not insane - it's almost perfect.

O - As a disclaimer, I like spicy food. Let me back up. What I should say is that I like spicy food when everything, including the heat, works harmoniously. When something's insanely hot just to be insanely hot, it just becomes masochistic at that point. With that aside, I've been waiting for a beer like Crime for a long time. Chili beers seem to ride the fence of too little to decent affect or too poorly done to be enjoyable but, Crime manages to up the ante while being a drinkable beer. The time this chili beer has spent in bourbon barrels seems pointless considering the fact almost no attribute shows through but, the ridiculous chili flavor and heat don't completely obliterate the bastard beneath; beer is still a part of this beer. It may not be for everyone, but if you like spicy food, chances are you'll like this beer.

4.13/5  rDev +27.1%

Seems other low reviewers couldn't handle the heat! Or their bottles happened to be spicier than mine... To me kick of pep on the back of the throat had a nice winter warming effect. Not too overpowering at all.

4.13/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Arrogant Bastard Brewing Co. - Crime. 9.6% ABV. 500ml bottle split between two snifters.

Look: Pours an orange/copper color, with a white bubbly head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: Up front is some tropical fruits, chilies, and hops, along with some oak notes from being barrel aged.

Feel: A little thin, but smooth, carbonated, and easy. Some creaminess contributed by the head.

Taste: Starts off a little fruity and oaky, with some tones of the chilies present. On the back end the chilies begin to burn, but is not necessarily overpowering. On the aftertaste, the chilies overpower the oaky flavor, and continue to give a spicy burn, but fades surprisingly quick.

Overall: My first Chili style beer. After hearing about it, I figured it would be like drinking hot sauce, but was pleasantly surprised. I have not had the base beers that this is made from yet, the Arrogant Bastard, or Double Bastard, but did really enjoy this beer. The chili spiciness and flavor paired extremely well over a bowl of homemade chili.

750ml Bottle
Caged/Corked
2013 Series
Batch No. 08

Poured into a chalice a nice slightly cloudy golden amber color, very nice carbonation, with a nice one-finger creamy off-white head, which leaves some small islands and some nice sticky lacing. The nose is hoppy, with some nice malt notes, some pepper/spice notes, some dark fruits. The taste is pretty good, kinda reminds me of a barleywine with hot peppers, hoppy, slight malt note, dark fruits, very spicy/hot for a beer. Medium body, with a slightly dry/bitter/hot finish. Overall, a very tasty/nice brew, surprised the shit out of me how hot/spicy this brew is, definitely a few notches above any spicy/chile brew I've ever had to date.

4.12/5  rDev +26.8%

Again this series has been misjudged, it is great for what it is. its a damn spicy gimmicky beer, but it is great. much more tolerable than punishment i enjoyed these beers

4.12/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Picked up Crime at TW Arrowhead in mid-November for $16.99. Bottled in 2015.

Beer poured an Arrogant Bastard brown with a very nice off white head.

Nose is citrus, vanilla, and light booze.

Taste is a big battle between the barrel and the peppers. The baseline citrus is still present enhanced by the oak, vanilla, and light bourbon. But it is tough to sense that with a medium (in my book) pepper heat that is overwhelming the beer. But if one keeps working at it you catch the goodness of the base beer and barrel characteristics. The heat mellows the more you sip it.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very smooth.

Overall this is a way interesting beer. The price of admission is steep but from my point of view it was worth the entertainment!

Crime from Arrogant Brewing