Crime | Arrogant Brewing

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: Chile Beer

A habitual offender returns
This beer is the result of what many beer enthusiasts would consider a most egregious crime―sequestering Arrogant Bastard Ale, Double Bastard Ale and OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale in Kentucky bourbon barrels, then blending them together with chile peppers. This new version of Crime is still very hoppy in spite of the barrel aging, with lots of oak and malt. The long finish reveals layers of oak, vanilla, bourbon, and malt that combine to produce complex caramel flavors, with peppers adding pleasant tamarind, subtle tropical fruit flavors and a milder heat than in previous concoctions.

Added by womencantsail on 02-06-2011

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 115 | Ratings: 510
3.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: looks like the other members of the 'Bastard line - deep dark amber with a tan head as big as you'd like that leaves ample thick lace behind as it recedes

S: mild chewy caramel and toffee malts and airs of bourbon barrels, suggestions of the peppery heart contained within

T: the chile in the beer overwhelms all other flavors - and I like heat in food and drink - but the bourbon can't rise above the chile heat, and the malts are but a shadow in the background; any hops used or yeasts are all left to the imagination, as the heat will hit you immediately and shut down your palate for the most part

M: medium bodied beer, slick and smooth, but the heat from the chiles will light your mouth and lip on fire

O: I liked the beer, but wouldn't return to it - a $20 bottle of pepper spray - as it is, I've got it's counterpart, Punishment, on tap, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but the beer lacks nuance - and it's a shame, too - a bourbon barrel aged beer should have more say in the final flavor than this beer has. If you have any hesitation about heat in beer, avoid this at all costs. If you are a fan of bourbon barrel-aging, skip over this, as you will not be able to appreciate the bourbon at all. But if you want a firebomb beer-drinking experience, or you like extreme beers with high abv, give it a try, but not if your budget doesn't allow for a very pricey purchase.

2.78/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured into a chalice. The color is hazy brown; deep caramel. There is a nice off-white sticky head.

The aroma is very unique. There is a lot of chili pepper in the aroma. This smells like green salsa. Interesting.

Okay, first sip and this is a firebomb! This is crazy spicy. I try to pick out some other flavors but I can't really. It doesn't seem much point that there is any beer flavor in this at all since the spiciness dominates.

This is a full bodied beer; though it's difficult to tell because my mouth is numb. This is a fun beer to try, don't think I'll be going back for more though.

4.23/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

App: Ruby and amber in color, dense and deep. Yeast and other particles flatting around even from the first pour. A cappuccino head with nice retention and good lacing. Not their most beautiful beer, but very attractive.

Nose: The dusty and musty green skins of chilies. Green and fresh. It finishes with a very faint malty foundation. Vanilla malty sweetness. What a unique nose!

Taste: Smooth up front with excellent carbonation and mouthfeel. Hotness comes in and stays until you swallow. Then, it sticks around for a bit. Perfect level of a thick carmel foundation. Oak brings the hotness and carmel together. The heat stays on your palate for a while.

Notes: This is right up to the edge of what a chile beer can be without making it bad. As far as chile beers go, this may be the best balanced I have had.

4.19/5  rDev +28.9%

Poured from a (pretty cool) 500 mL bottle into a snifter. This is pretty fresh, as it was bottled October 2013.

Appearance: Pours a deep cherry and leaves a finger of light tan head which slowly fades.

Smell: Wow, big ghost pepper upfront. I really do enjoy the flavor of the pepper in general, but the heat that comes with it is generally fairly unbearable - we'll see what happens here. Other hot pepper smells as well, all fresh from the garden. In the background, I do get bourbon, caramel, and some light chocolate, but beyond that I can't get much. The peppers are very dominant. I love hot peppers, and this smell is hot peppers.

Taste: Starts sweet with some caramel, vanilla and malts. Pretty quickly after this it shifts to the hot peppers and plenty of spice. The hot pepper flavor here is more of a garden variety - not as dominated by the ghost pepper as the aroma (but ghost pepper definitely still stands out the most). Definitely the spiciest beer I've ever had to this point. After the taste, the flavor of fresh hot peppers lingers, especially jalapeno. The spice lingers, but does go away faster than eating, say, a fresh habanero.

Mouth-feel: Low carbonation with a nice medium to thick body. Nice and creamy. I wish I could swish this around in my mouth longer, but the heat makes it tough. Finishes spicy.

Overall: I love the smell, and the creamy body is really nice. This beer is pretty spicy - but not TOO spicy. It does get a little painful - but that comes with the task of enjoying the flavors from hot peppers. I wish I could extract a bit more of the base beer and the barrel aspects, but the peppers dominate the profile. The very beginning of the sip is nice and sweet and must come from the barrel. An interesting beer for sure. If you don't love peppers, you will not enjoy this beer. I recommend pairing this with water and bread.

The pour is hazy with minimal bubbles. A swirl provides some nice bubbles but the pour is so awful boring and blah.

It starts to have some sugar and nice aromas I think but it turns to cigaret ash tray like aromas. I want to give this a negative score.

At first you get some kinda sweet imperial ale flavors but then....instantly it turns to fire. I do'nt get ANY bourbon. I get well fire and crap.

Undrinkable.

This is the worst beer I've ever had. Budlight has more going for it. Honestly the smell of this beer is so bad that if you think smell is 1% of a beer, this is a 0 out of 100 because it's a negative 99 in smell.

Honestly, I want my damn money back. I feel this was total robbery from stone and I not kidding, I want a refund, this was too expensive to be this freaking awful. The beer should say "SUPER HOT SPICED" on the bottle. This was false advertising imo

Do not just NOT BUY THIS but I'm in favor of a petition to demand money back for anyone that didn't know HOW hot this total SHIT beer is. Sadly beer advocate won't let me score this correctly as it's a negative 1,000

Ok the final statement. This beer smells like a guy had some hot sauce and then took a massive crap and bottled it. The pour looks like fecal matter was mixed in. The beer itself was worst tasting than a McDonald. It is the worst tasting item ever made. Stone honestly at this point....I'm not sure I will ever buy another beer from them as this was honestly robbery. I'm not the kind to do such things but if I were a lesser man, I'd pop Greg the next time he's around.

I'm not going to lie I'm pretty sure had I finished a 4 oz pour i'd be vomiting right now. I can't imagine what someone would do after a full bottle, thankfully I drain poured the shit that this beer is.

3.73/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

was excited and nervous to try this. next time ill get the punishment. this beer looks good- a nice brown, little haze. the smell is hot peppers all the way. reminds me of stron hot sauce- like daves insanity. and the taste is right up there. there is a slow burn that cotes the mouth- and washes over the throat. ultimately this was an interesting experiment- but ultimately i think this beer would be better for cooking- might be great in some chili.

1.48/5  rDev -54.5%

Absolutely the second worst beer I have ever had (the worst beer is it's companion Punishment). I loved Habanero Sculpin, but this was terrible. There is no balance or complexity to speak of. Disgusting stuff. The price was horrible too for a 16.9 oz. bottle. I will be haunted by the terrible taste of this beer. How could Stone release this beer at this price? God awful.

3.48/5  rDev +7.1%

Split a bottle with a friend- thanks to Robert for this

Pours a very dark red, a finger of foam died down pretty quick to a frothy ring. Small sediment make it a bit cloudy, very low carbonation. A really nice looking beer

Smell is abundant peppers and chilies, as expected. Buried very deep is oak, bourbon, caramel, toffee, and alcohol. Spicy, sweet, not bad

Peppers peppers peppers. Overwhelming peppers. Abundant peppers. After the initial shock passes, spicy caramel, oak, bourbon, and a bit of alcohol

Feel gets a perfect for delivering exactly what it promises- THE spiciest beer ever made. Really glad I split this one, had a bit of trouble just finishing my half

Overall spicy as fuck, pairs well with the chips and salsa I brought. I have a bottle in my cellar, I'll see how it is in a few years

Edit: If you get the chance, know what you are drinking and enjoy it for what it is.

5oz pour at the end of the night on Friday... Bittercreek Stone Tap Takeover... I saved what I expected was the "worst" for last.. I was right.. but Crime was still pretty damn interesting.

Poured with a flimsy head.. deep orange... oh well, it is tough to really get a look at a beer inside Bittercreek because it is pretty dark most of the time.

Nose is no doubt burning.. wow.. smells hot and a bit malty.. hints of burnt sugars with warmth... I am scared to take a sip.

Flavor is not as scary... OVER THE TOP chili flavor and heat... but once you get past the "Over The Top", it becomes quite a bit more approachable.. caramel maltiness if I really concentrate... Soooo hot...

I did truly appreciate this one, but it was too much.. A bit of a train wreck.. 5oz was too much even after I went dark.

Glad I got the chance to try it... but it hurt me a bit later. ;-)

Thanks to Dave and Greg!! All 3's

2.54/5  rDev -21.8%

On Tap

Stone 15th Anniversary Celebration
CSU, San Marcos
San Marcos, CA

Dark amber and ruby with a thin light brown head and leaves spotted lacing down the glass.

A touch of caramel in the aroma and then lots and lots of face-smacking spice--smells like spicy jalapeno juice. Interesting, though perhaps even too powerful.

This beer starts similarly to the aroma: a faint hint of caramel and toffee sweetness, and then a stinging, biting jalapeno-like spice throughout. Unfortunately, the barrels/wood are tough to find.

Medium mouthfeel.

I'm very glad I tried this one, but I don't need to revisit it. Even as a lover of peppers and spicy foods, this one still isn't for me.

3.65/5  rDev +12.3%

On tap at Beachwood Brewing

I liked the beer. A solid, but not overbearing amount of heat and flavor came from the peppers. The hops and the peppers were definitely fighting against each other for flavor supremacy, but considering the fact that I was ordering a beer WITH CHILIES ADDED, I think I should have expected it to intentionally taste like this.

I'd most likely have it again if given the chance.

1.96/5  rDev -39.7%

On-tap at Stone 2/10/10 (first review!)

A: pours a deep reddish orange with very little head that dissapates quickly with little retention. Looks very similar to a standard Arrogant Bastard.

S: smells very grassy with a strong jalapeno and spicy scent. This is a very different thing than I have any other beer I've encountered.

T: taste is not actually too bad, has some nice oaky and hoppy notes with a background of chilies.

M: This is where this beer really goes wrong, it's super carbonated and absolutely burns the back of your mouth and your throat all the way down. Very unpleasant, I would compare it to drinking mouthwash.

D: Not drinkable. I had 4oz, and probably only had 1oz. Easily the least drinkable beer I have had.

3.08/5  rDev -5.2%

On-tap at Stone

A: The beer pours a dark amber color with a small khaki head forming.

S: Like with Punishment, a big time chili aroma. They're really fresh and green. The there is a bit of base beer, but it is very minimal. A slight fruity and earthy note from the peppers.

T: The chile flavor is more subdued than on Punishment. The heat is especially noteworthy on the back end, and there's a strong grassy flavor to it. A decent amount of bread, but very minimal sweetness.

M: The body is medium and so is the carbonation.

D: Hmmm, I didn't think this was as bad as Punishment (perhaps appropriately). I don't know if I would really care to have a full glass of it, but not horrible.

1.43/5  rDev -56%

To think that this started out as Lucky Bastard, and ended up as...this. That is itself is enough to consider what was perpetuated here as a crime. Sadly, it got much worse.

Tried this on tap at Stone Winter Storm at Stone's Bistro on the day of it's release.

A: Poured a red-copper hue, maybe slightly more copper than normal Lucky Bastard. Slight head, which dissipated quickly.

S: Not nearly as much nose as I would have expected, in retrospect. Slightly sweet, strangely mingled with the hint of peppers, which gave it an almost plasticly off-note. Disjointed; had I smelled this anywhere else, I immediately would have wondered if something was off.

T: Good lord, why the peppers? Why? Lucky Bastard in barrels itself would probably have been great, would have serve to mellow or round out perhaps some of that sweetness that is it's hallmark. Instead, that potential was wrecked absolutely by the inclusion of pepper heat to the point of throwing the entire beer off the rails. The entire taste was out of sync, the heat of the peppers fighting the sweetness of the base LB. At the same time the barrel character was utterly at odds with the peppers.

M: Somehow at the same time thin and coating. I could not get the awful pepper burn out of my mouth for the longest time.

D: Between my girlfriend and I, neither of us could manage a few sips, to just sample it. I actually had to taste it more than once, thinking that it really couldn't be as bad as I was thinking at was. I think we made it through maybe 1 1/2 ounces of a 4oz pour.

By far the worst beer I have ever had from Stone. I would never, ever order this beer again.

3.12/5  rDev -4%

2/5/2011

On tap at Stone Winter Storm 2011.

I guess chili peppers were added to an oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale and we have Crime.

A: Turbid reddish brown. No head.

S: Big chili pepper profile. The chili peppers really overshadow what lies beneath. Some toffee beneath. Some oak. Dark fruit character is redolent of prune and date.

T: Very spicy. The chilies are not bashful. Oak is evident. Toffee, caramel, date, prune. Finish has a lot of chili flavor with a little heat.

M: Medium body, upper low carbonation with a sticky mouthfeel.

Overall: An okay chili pepper beer.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last