Crime | Arrogant Brewing

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: Chile Beer

A habitual offender returns
This beer is the result of what many beer enthusiasts would consider a most egregious crime―sequestering Arrogant Bastard Ale, Double Bastard Ale and OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale in Kentucky bourbon barrels, then blending them together with chile peppers. This new version of Crime is still very hoppy in spite of the barrel aging, with lots of oak and malt. The long finish reveals layers of oak, vanilla, bourbon, and malt that combine to produce complex caramel flavors, with peppers adding pleasant tamarind, subtle tropical fruit flavors and a milder heat than in previous concoctions.

Added by womencantsail on 02-06-2011

Reviews: 115 | Ratings: 511
4.13/5  rDev +27.1%

750ml Bottle
Caged/Corked
2013 Series
Batch No. 08

Poured into a chalice a nice slightly cloudy golden amber color, very nice carbonation, with a nice one-finger creamy off-white head, which leaves some small islands and some nice sticky lacing. The nose is hoppy, with some nice malt notes, some pepper/spice notes, some dark fruits. The taste is pretty good, kinda reminds me of a barleywine with hot peppers, hoppy, slight malt note, dark fruits, very spicy/hot for a beer. Medium body, with a slightly dry/bitter/hot finish. Overall, a very tasty/nice brew, surprised the shit out of me how hot/spicy this brew is, definitely a few notches above any spicy/chile brew I've ever had to date.

2.59/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A: murky brown, slight green red yellow hue like tri color peppers
S: Explosion of hot hot peppers
T: what the hell is this? Nothing about this was pleasant
F: I think I am now a fire breathing Dragon
O: cool for the novelty of it, but otherwise this falls flat. Way over priced for what was offered in this bottle. Also it should be known i shared this with two friends whom eat the spiciest foods in existence. They love hot food passionately and neither of them enjoyed this.

2.78/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Looked and smelled great. Nice heat in the nose. That heat carried forward just a tad bit for my taste. Straight heat, burning and not in a good way. They did what they said they would and create a Crime. They stuck to their word, it was hot!

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap at Verdugo Bar in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a murky dark orange with a foamy khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Foamy swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Tiny particles of sediment are seen suspended in the beer after the pour. Smell is of roasted chile, fresh chile, chile juice, and raisin aromas. Taste is much the same with malt, dark fruit, raisin, roasted chile, and chile powder flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of chile heat that lingers on the palate long after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice mix of spicy chile and dark fruit qualities.

Serving type: on tap.

2.1/5  rDev -35.4%

This was not good. I contemplated marinading some sort of meat in this because it was flat out not drinkable. I like spicy beers too, this was too much. 1st Drain pour.

2.2/5  rDev -32.3%

I love hot and spicy food and despite the reviews I thought I'd like this beer because I've mostly been desensitized to pepper heat and I really enjoy this style. I was so wrong.
This beer was awful. I had a few sips and poured it down the drain. The only "crime" here is that this swill cost me $19 US before taxes and conversion to $CAN. Horrible!

Don't buy this beer if it's still around in your area.

1.91/5  rDev -41.2%

Had to give this a try despite my total dislike of extreme spice in my beer. It was even worse than I had imagined. I could only manage a couple sips and I'd had enough. Quite an experience though

1.92/5  rDev -40.9%

First off I love Stone and what they mean to beer in general. This beer highly degrades anything they stand for. Arrogant bastard was a mess up turned into a beautiful beer! Completely agreed. This beer is a travesty. A complete over reaching disgusting marketing scam on the beer public in general. This is like getting a prized plate of Kobe beef bred in the highlands of the Himalayas and "oh by the way we just covered it in cheap fucking jalapeno peppers!". Are you retarded!!! Its a soul crushing, pallet wasting pile of shit. The fact that the brothers gave it an 80 makes me want to hate them. How? Just How! This is everything they say they stand against. Id like to get them and everyone stone in a room and watch them drink this atomic fueled overspiced garbage and tell me its an 80! Politics. This is everything we all should fight against. An obvious over stimulated over marketed beer that makes no sense on a beer lovers pallet. Shame on you Stone.

4.12/5  rDev +26.8%

Again this series has been misjudged, it is great for what it is. its a damn spicy gimmicky beer, but it is great. much more tolerable than punishment i enjoyed these beers

4.05/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Holy crap. What a beer. This was very different with the powerful taste. It was worth trying but hard to drink more than two glasses of due to the power of the spice.

4.47/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yeah I rated it high. Its everything the label says and then some! If you don't like heat, you wont enjoy this, but if you enjoy hot hot peppers your in for a treat!

2.83/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Not really sure how to rate this objectively. The smell is almost exactly like Tabasco Sauce. The taste is very similar to Tobasco as well. For the style, it is probably well done, but I couldn't drink more than a couple sips. Not my taste.

Can't taste the bourbon at all, the peppers completely overpower everything.

3.52/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served from a caged and corked bomber into a snifter glass. Beer aged for approximately one year.
Aroma-Full-on spicy chilies and malt note in the background.
Taste-A literal "hot mess". Even with, or maybe because of, a year in the cellar this brew was just too much heat and pepper flavor to achieve any real balance in my opinion. I split this brew with another veteran craft beer drinker and we were hard pressed to finish it all. We didn't have the tastebuds left to try the "Punishment". I'll give that one another year and see what happens. Here's hoping.

Never on this site have I seen a more divisive beer. Full disclosure, I love chili beer. This should be fun.

Looks like a dark IPA, smells and tastes like habañero peppers. So damn good!

What did you all expect?

4.35/5  rDev +33.8%

Not for those who do not enjoy heat. The Oaked bastard taste comes out very strongly, followed by an intense heat which lingers, and settles into the glorious lucky bastard finish. Fantastic.

2.48/5  rDev -23.7%

overpowering pepper flavor, bourbon taste is almost demolished and barely perceptible. A sipping brew for those that like heat, lots of heat. But this bastard was destroyed (ruined per Stone). Rather than waste the rest, I used the 2nd half of the bottle to marinade a skirt steak for Carne Asada, interesting enough, here the bourbon barrel flavor came out stronger than the peppers. Although this is a rather expensive marinade and still was not up to my usual skirt steak seasoning, although it was interesting.

3.3/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is spicy...For me, it wasn't enjoyable to drink. I imagine, for those who love pepper, this is great. Even thought this wasn't very enjoyable to drink, it is well made. I love hot and spicy food, but this isn't my cup of tea.

1.5/5  rDev -53.8%

I have enjoyed most things I have purchased from Stone over the years. This (and Punishment) were the expensive exceptions. The peppers were over-powering, to the point that I couldn't enjoy the ale and had to get rid of it.

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

Definitely not for someone who hates heat. Somewhat of a novelty beer in that it has tons of punch to it. However, I have no problem eating a hot pepper. Taste the bourbon barrel aging, however the capsaicin does take over a little too much. The beer will not burn your face and make you cry for water however, though it would be great if the heat was turned down a bit for the next batch if there is one.

3.72/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a cork and cage bottle into a goblet. Bottles in October 2013.

Pours a deep amber color with a nice head that dissipates rather slowly. Great lacing around the glass and medium head retention.

Smells stale hops and hot peppers. Some sweet malt is detected but the pepper oil really stands out.

HOLY HOT! If you're not a hot pepper fan stay away! If you are a hot pepper fan then REJOICE!!! It's definitely a sipping beer, but give me some beans and rice or a nice bland taco and you won't need sauce! Just take a sip of this!

Mouthfeel is great, again if you like HOT peppers. Nice heat and good pepper sensations on the palate. The heat lingers for quite some time following.

Overall a great chile beer! I will age the other bottle I have to see if it changes over a year or two.

Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +30.8%

Now THERE'S the chili beer I've been looking for! Holy hell this is hot. I am a heat lover through and through and have wanted to experience the paradoxical situation of drinking something that's intensely spicy and then reaching for the same glass the cleanse that heat from my palate. This does exactly that. There are plenty of flavors here though. If you can make it through the heat you can definitely taste a "woody" ale. I'm guessing it's from the Oaked arrogant bastard but there's a charred and peppery green bell pepper flavor that I'm getting too that's mixing in with it nicely from the variety of chilis in this. I can't stop drinking it. Heat isn't everyone's bag, but it's a very different beast to try and enjoy all of the flavors in here while still experiencing (and possibly enjoying depending on your tastes) the burn. With a sweaty brow, nostrils running, and a mouth in burning beverage heaven, I absolutely recommend this to those looking for over the top spicy brews. Damn, I should've bought more!

3.54/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

500 ml caged and corked bottle, bottled October 2013. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a cloudy reddish/brown color with some sediment floaties noticeable. There's about an inch tan head that stayed around for a long time, and a good amount of lacing. The brew smells mostly like spicy and green peppers, along with some caramel. Taste is similar to the aroma, but there's the addition of a bit of oak, vanilla and bourbon that kicks in after a while. But this brew is all about the spicy peppers, it's good and hot! Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating with moderate carbonation. Overall I liked this. Yeah, I finished the bottle and my eyes are watering right now, but I wouldn't mind trying this again in the future. But it's certainly a brew that I would have to be in a certain mood to drink, because it's hotter than most of the chili beers I've tried before.

4.49/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Crime is getting a bad wrap from people who don't understand what this beer is. This beer is mouth punishing with peppers. Hot and spicy, the way Stone wanted it. This beer isn't meant to be consumed by one person eating cookies. It was made for small glasses and shared in good company with a cheese board. It's also fantastic to cook with; just make it a reduction and boil unflavored sausage in it.

2.93/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Corked and caged bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a deep chestnut amber red color. Some tan colored froth and lacing.

(S)- A huge blast of hot peppers meets subtle oaky vanilla and subtle fruity malts.

(T)- The deep burn in the back of the throat. Subtle dry oakiness, but otherwise an assault of hot peppers on the senses.

(M)- It stings the throat for sure. Not overly burning hot, but not for the weak

(O)- These is no denying how hot this beer is. It stings the throat and does not apologize. I love spicy hot food, but I think when it comes to having it in my beer, I am a little put off somehow

3.72/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: poured into a snifter to a dark brown topped by an eighth of an inch of dense light tan head that is quick to fade to a small collar. sediment poured from the bottle looks like pepper seeds instead of yeast chunks so this beer has had some time to marinate in the hot stuff.
S: smells of peppers, slight caramel and a hint of floral and piney hops
T: taste on this one is fresh green jalapeno peppers with a slowly building heat and a slight caramel sweetness that can't seem to make any headway and come to the front. slight amount of hop bitterness comes through at times as well. lots of pepper heat and on the swallow there's another blast of heat, a whisper of caramel malt sweetness and a lingering burn that coats the entire mouth
M: this beer is on the heavier side of medium with soft carbonation and a semi dry finish
O: As a chile beer it does pretty well but they could have used a lesser base beer and skipped the barrel aging and dry hopping.

Crime from Arrogant Brewing