Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Crime | Arrogant Brewing

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: Chile Beer

A habitual offender returns
This beer is the result of what many beer enthusiasts would consider a most egregious crime―sequestering Arrogant Bastard Ale, Double Bastard Ale and OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale in Kentucky bourbon barrels, then blending them together with chile peppers. This new version of Crime is still very hoppy in spite of the barrel aging, with lots of oak and malt. The long finish reveals layers of oak, vanilla, bourbon, and malt that combine to produce complex caramel flavors, with peppers adding pleasant tamarind, subtle tropical fruit flavors and a milder heat than in previous concoctions.

Added by womencantsail on 02-06-2011

firstprev| 451-475 | 476-500 | 501-525  | next → last
3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

Edit: If you get the chance, know what you are drinking and enjoy it for what it is.

5oz pour at the end of the night on Friday... Bittercreek Stone Tap Takeover... I saved what I expected was the "worst" for last.. I was right.. but Crime was still pretty damn interesting.

Poured with a flimsy head.. deep orange... oh well, it is tough to really get a look at a beer inside Bittercreek because it is pretty dark most of the time.

Nose is no doubt burning.. wow.. smells hot and a bit malty.. hints of burnt sugars with warmth... I am scared to take a sip.

Flavor is not as scary... OVER THE TOP chili flavor and heat... but once you get past the "Over The Top", it becomes quite a bit more approachable.. caramel maltiness if I really concentrate... Soooo hot...

I did truly appreciate this one, but it was too much.. A bit of a train wreck.. 5oz was too much even after I went dark.

Glad I got the chance to try it... but it hurt me a bit later. ;-)

Thanks to Dave and Greg!! All 3's

On Tap

Stone 15th Anniversary Celebration
CSU, San Marcos
San Marcos, CA

Dark amber and ruby with a thin light brown head and leaves spotted lacing down the glass.

A touch of caramel in the aroma and then lots and lots of face-smacking spice--smells like spicy jalapeno juice. Interesting, though perhaps even too powerful.

This beer starts similarly to the aroma: a faint hint of caramel and toffee sweetness, and then a stinging, biting jalapeno-like spice throughout. Unfortunately, the barrels/wood are tough to find.

Medium mouthfeel.

I'm very glad I tried this one, but I don't need to revisit it. Even as a lover of peppers and spicy foods, this one still isn't for me.

3.65/5  rDev +24.1%

On tap at Beachwood Brewing

I liked the beer. A solid, but not overbearing amount of heat and flavor came from the peppers. The hops and the peppers were definitely fighting against each other for flavor supremacy, but considering the fact that I was ordering a beer WITH CHILIES ADDED, I think I should have expected it to intentionally taste like this.

I'd most likely have it again if given the chance.

1.96/5  rDev -33.3%

On-tap at Stone 2/10/10 (first review!)

A: pours a deep reddish orange with very little head that dissapates quickly with little retention. Looks very similar to a standard Arrogant Bastard.

S: smells very grassy with a strong jalapeno and spicy scent. This is a very different thing than I have any other beer I've encountered.

T: taste is not actually too bad, has some nice oaky and hoppy notes with a background of chilies.

M: This is where this beer really goes wrong, it's super carbonated and absolutely burns the back of your mouth and your throat all the way down. Very unpleasant, I would compare it to drinking mouthwash.

D: Not drinkable. I had 4oz, and probably only had 1oz. Easily the least drinkable beer I have had.

3.08/5  rDev +4.8%

On-tap at Stone

A: The beer pours a dark amber color with a small khaki head forming.

S: Like with Punishment, a big time chili aroma. They're really fresh and green. The there is a bit of base beer, but it is very minimal. A slight fruity and earthy note from the peppers.

T: The chile flavor is more subdued than on Punishment. The heat is especially noteworthy on the back end, and there's a strong grassy flavor to it. A decent amount of bread, but very minimal sweetness.

M: The body is medium and so is the carbonation.

D: Hmmm, I didn't think this was as bad as Punishment (perhaps appropriately). I don't know if I would really care to have a full glass of it, but not horrible.

1.43/5  rDev -51.4%

To think that this started out as Lucky Bastard, and ended up as...this. That is itself is enough to consider what was perpetuated here as a crime. Sadly, it got much worse.

Tried this on tap at Stone Winter Storm at Stone's Bistro on the day of it's release.

A: Poured a red-copper hue, maybe slightly more copper than normal Lucky Bastard. Slight head, which dissipated quickly.

S: Not nearly as much nose as I would have expected, in retrospect. Slightly sweet, strangely mingled with the hint of peppers, which gave it an almost plasticly off-note. Disjointed; had I smelled this anywhere else, I immediately would have wondered if something was off.

T: Good lord, why the peppers? Why? Lucky Bastard in barrels itself would probably have been great, would have serve to mellow or round out perhaps some of that sweetness that is it's hallmark. Instead, that potential was wrecked absolutely by the inclusion of pepper heat to the point of throwing the entire beer off the rails. The entire taste was out of sync, the heat of the peppers fighting the sweetness of the base LB. At the same time the barrel character was utterly at odds with the peppers.

M: Somehow at the same time thin and coating. I could not get the awful pepper burn out of my mouth for the longest time.

D: Between my girlfriend and I, neither of us could manage a few sips, to just sample it. I actually had to taste it more than once, thinking that it really couldn't be as bad as I was thinking at was. I think we made it through maybe 1 1/2 ounces of a 4oz pour.

By far the worst beer I have ever had from Stone. I would never, ever order this beer again.

3.12/5  rDev +6.1%

2/5/2011

On tap at Stone Winter Storm 2011.

I guess chili peppers were added to an oak barrel of Double Dry Hopped Lukcy Basartd Ale and we have Crime.

A: Turbid reddish brown. No head.

S: Big chili pepper profile. The chili peppers really overshadow what lies beneath. Some toffee beneath. Some oak. Dark fruit character is redolent of prune and date.

T: Very spicy. The chilies are not bashful. Oak is evident. Toffee, caramel, date, prune. Finish has a lot of chili flavor with a little heat.

M: Medium body, upper low carbonation with a sticky mouthfeel.

Overall: An okay chili pepper beer.

firstprev| 451-475 | 476-500 | 501-525  | next → last