Punishment | Arrogant Brewing

PunishmentPunishment

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: Chile Beer

A palate-punishing ale unlike any other
Never intended for the timid, Punishment is the capsaicin-throttled spawn of a beer behemoth, Double Bastard Ale. In this year’s brew, the flavors of Double Bastard Ale have been further enhanced by the bourbon barrel aging. The addition of chile peppers to the beer adds lingering flavors in the finish of subtle tropical fruit and some layers of heat along with the toffee, caramel malt and hop flavors.

Added by womencantsail on 02-06-2011

4.94/5  rDev +56.3%

I'm floored. I mean, what is with the rating on this? There is a reason this is marked as a chile beer... and not a "beer like all other beers" and a "beer for a wuss"... is there something I am missing? I'm glad o see my favor lands in similar areas with other people. But I just can't believe some of the low scores and explanations on this. Maybe I haven't had enough chile beers. But I found this pretty stellar for chile beer.

My suggestion, let it warm up quite a bit.

Appearance is great. Pours thick with a very small carbonation for the head that dissipates and lingers around the edges. The head has a slight off-white. The beer itself is a great hazy ruby with a rusty brownish tone. Hues of orange around the thin areas when held to the light.

The smell is pretty much dominated by the peppers. Which really smell pretty wonderful, they create a great bouquet to the nose that gives it this almost vegetal and airy field like presence. You can pick up on some of the malt. Maybe a hint of smokiness and you can tell the beer has been barrel aged. Though unfortunately, the bourbon seems pretty lost to the peppers. The smell made me smile though... and when a beer makes me smile, by the smell alone, that makes me happy.

Taste. I love spicy food, flavorful foods, drinks, I like it all. This has a full heat that is spicy but REALLY warm. It really comes on with a hint but rises as the malty brew passes through. It is that slow progression that I really love. Spicy on the lips too. What has impressed me about this (the same with Crime), is that each sip is a restart to the first sip. You get the malt sweetness that is reminiscent of plums, raisins, dark dry chocolate, vanilla and charred wood with bourbon. The booziness is spot on, right in there where it should be. I get a hint of toasted sugars. A brown sugary deal going on. And then the flood of peppers. Very fresh peppers hat really make the beer lively and impressive. This is a really great chile beer.

The body, is prefect. It is thick and smooth and hot. I don't think I could ask for anything more in a beer of this ABV and style. The carbonation is also just right. It just all fits together... not clunky at all. And a fire that coats the mouth, and lips. A warmth that is intense but really well done.

Overall... it is a winters night. This beer made sense... Maybe I was biased by the abrasively cold, below zero weather and high winds. But this is a devastatingly good chile beer. I won't be hurt to see this beer sit on the shelves awhile so that I can indulge again in it. If you are a true lover of big beers and really hot peppers, this is the ticket.

4.91/5  rDev +55.4%

This is a beer for pepper heads!! Which I am one of them. I had this beer last St. Patrick's day. What can I say,I got high from the peppers, then from the alcohol.
If your not a pepper head, you can not appreciate this beer. The day after last st Patrick's day I went out and bought the last 2 bottles my local place in Eugene had. Now with a year of age I'm going to follow up the tradition and totally enjoy my second bottle. Cheers to you Greg. And thank you for my favorite pepper beer of all time!

4.86/5  rDev +53.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Muddy brown with tan head that dissipated. Aroma just like bba arrogant bastard. Oak, bourbon, toffee, caramel malt, slight citrus dank hop. And then a hint of chilies too. Taste: up front the oak, bourbon, vanilla, toffee, caramel, malt. Middle of the mouth the hot pepper appears and plays off the citrus hop flavors. Finishes with a lasting heat and slight alcohol warmth. Mouthfeel is medium. Overall, excellent use of spicy flavor to enhance an already great beer. Heat doesn't overpower, but leaves you eager for another sip. Some find it too spicy, I didn't, thought it was just enough heat without interfering with the beer underneath. Maybe it could've been just a little hotter...

4.75/5  rDev +50.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Okay, as a chili pepper beer, this is the best of the best! It already starts with a great Stone base, and the bottle design just entices/intimidates you before you drink it. Then, once you uncork it, this overwhelming, amazing chili pepper smell comes creeping out of the bottle letting you know what you're getting yourself into. Your pour it out, and you can see little chili pepper residue in the brew, and the smell really intensifies. The moment you drink it, those peppers just kick your ass, but in a really delicious way! I recommend the sip, not the gulp! Overall, I can't understand how someone who would spend the money to buy this would rank it low! You're upset a spicy beer is spicy?! Deal with it! It's delicious and definitely worth a try (if you share with friends!)

4.6/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

4oz. pour from tap during Stone's Winter Storm. The following review is based on notes taken Thursday, February 10, 2011.

Served in a fluted tulip.

Appearance: A huge layer of off-white, latte-like foam sits atop a hazy, orange brown body. Head retention and lacing are both fantastic - was not expecting that from a beer aged with peppers!

Smell: Serranos all over the place. I've really got to dig to find anything else. I get a little caramel and a touch of brandy. This nose shows no semblance of Double Bastard. It's all about the serrano oils, and I'm lovin' it! I can understand why others wouldn't though.

Taste: This is the best chile beer I've ever had! Brandy and serrano chiles meld beautifully midway through each sip and roll together into the aftertaste. As with the smell, the Double Bastard aspect has gone missing, only peeking through early on in the form of aged barleywine-like sugars. Very spicy and warm, although the chile oils do a great job of masking the ABV.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated, resinous, warm, and spicy. Each sip coats the mouth in a fresh layer of serrano oils, which linger deep into the aftertaste. There's a good amount of warmth and dryness, but the spiciness really distracts the palate away from it.

Drinkability: If you're coming in expecting brandy barrel-aged Double Bastard with a hint of serrano, you'll be disappointed. I had no idea the serranos would play such a huge role, but as a hot sauce junkie I couldn't help but love this one. Greg, if you're having trouble selling this stuff, shoot me a BM! This is the best chile beer I've ever had!

4.32/5  rDev +36.7%

4.29/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

dark, murky brown appearance w/ finger & half head. not much to the scent but straight up spice! the taste is of a sweet, spicy pepper. mouthfeel is not very thin but not too thick....perfect carbonation and the chilli heat hides the alcohol quite well. the heat stays with you for a while.
i enjoyed this beer! i enjoyed this more than crime. i would def seek out again and try it with age. i'd recommend trying this beer. however, i could see this beer not being for everyone as the heat from the peppers can be extreme. cheers!

4.27/5  rDev +35.1%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml

Pours a very nice dark brown color, with some very nice carbonation, with a nice small/quick/fizzy light tan head, which leaves a nice medium size island and some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, with some very nice hoppyness, some licorice, chilies. The taste is very nice malty, very nice hop note, licorice notes, chilie. Full Body, ABV hidden pretty well, with a very nice bitter/dry finish. Overall, a very nice brew.

4.24/5  rDev +34.2%

Let's be clear about something; if you can't handle heat, you aren't man (or woman) enough for this beer. 6 of us sampled this, and we all enjoyed it. I am not even a big fan of spice, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

A: Cloudy, murky and dark amber
S: peppers. Lots of peppers. It almost smells like a jalapeño pizza with extra jalapeños.
T: First, you're assaulted with a wave of intense heat. Take a small sip and swirl it just to coat your mouth and get the initial shock over with. After that, take the time to enjoy it. There is a lot of good in the taste, some caramel and roasted flavors, a little vanilla, and some buttery notes before being once again washed out by the heat. The finish is pure heat.
M: Dense and oily, this beer coats your throat the entire way down.
O: A rather enjoyable, if somewhat masochistic, brew from Stone. You will NOT want to finish a bottle on your own. I had about 4 ounces and was done. I could feel the capsaicin burn from my mouth all the way down into my stomach, and every burp tasted like jalapeño pizza afterwards. I'd honestly recommend anyone try this beer, just don't focus too much on the heat and it's pretty damn good.

4.24/5  rDev +34.2%

If you go into this beer KNOWING its going to shoot fire out of your face, then your in the right place!

The Nose of this guy was amazing. Fruity pepper notes and lots of heat. Not much else comes through though.

The taste... well, I didn't manage much, even being a spicy food lover, but it was almost instant heat that burned the mouth and throat but came with the intense fruityness that comes with peppers like habeneros and ghost chilis. I got ZERO character from the underlying beer due to the heat.

I'm going to try to make this into a wing sauce as I don't think its drinkable in other than a taste.

I can't say this beer was bad, its AMAZING if what your going for was a mega-heat-pepper-experiamental-nuclear-hot beer.

4.24/5  rDev +34.2%

I enjoyed this beer, clearly a gimmick, but as far as it being a spicy beer, it delivers. I had it with a nice tritip sandwich and it did it justice...probably couldnt kill a whole bottle, but it was awesome

Punishment from Arrogant Brewing