Punishment | Arrogant Brewing

PunishmentPunishment

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: Chile Beer

A palate-punishing ale unlike any other
Never intended for the timid, Punishment is the capsaicin-throttled spawn of a beer behemoth, Double Bastard Ale. In this year’s brew, the flavors of Double Bastard Ale have been further enhanced by the bourbon barrel aging. The addition of chile peppers to the beer adds lingering flavors in the finish of subtle tropical fruit and some layers of heat along with the toffee, caramel malt and hop flavors.

Added by womencantsail on 02-06-2011

Reviews: 81 | Ratings: 380
1.08/5  rDev -65.6%

One of the worst ever. I couldn't finish it. The name punishment says it all. Do people really like this? I like hot peppers and a little Beer kick is cool but this is just silly. I hate pouring out beer but I couldn't take another burning punishing sip of pain and tongue torture. I couldn't even describe the mouthfeel or taste or other senses. The did a good job if the wanted to ruin the beer with this one. Not sure what the goal was or if this is a joke. I see it around and it's expensive so people must like it but it nots for me

1.12/5  rDev -64.3%

Listen Guy, this is the worst beer I have ever had besides Crime. Do not waste your money, sobriety or time. The smell made me want to throw up. My 3 friends and I could not drink more than a sip each. We poured ours out and drank a Founders Backwoods Bastard to bring our palates back.

1.12/5  rDev -64.3%

This is the single worst beer I have ever had! Why?! Greg, we get it ! You are willing to try crazy shit, now stop it! Just stop it! This is vile death like venom that should be reserved for pranks or the guy who just banged you wife and is allergic to peppers. F this stuff. It I ever see this stuff on the shelf I'm gonna punch it right in the snout!

1.16/5  rDev -63.1%

Pours a cloudy dark reddish brown color with a decent off-white head. The head fizzles away rather quickly and leaves minimal lacing. Not a terrible looking (Jaws music starts playing) beer.

The aroma is like opening a bag of fresh jalapeno peppers and inhaling as hard as you possibly can. I think there's some beer or malt or something in there but it's mostly hot peppers. Have you ever shoved a jar of Tabasco sauce up your nose while having a good buzz? Yeah, that.

You know when you eat spicy food and it doesn't quite sit well with you and you burp and some stomach acid comes up into your throat and it feels like you just ate the spicy food again only this time it's covered in bile? Add about 12% ABV to that and you have Punishment.

The feel is oily, thick, and I'm not even sure of the carb level because I'm too busy wishing I had made better choices in life.

Look, I adore spicy food. It's delicious. But this isn't food. It's beer. I don't drink beer to sweat and cry and wish I was dead. That's what Indian food is for. I drink beer to savor the taste and aromas. This isn't beer. It's a bottle of mucus from the mouth of Abbadon after gorging on Chipotle.

1.41/5  rDev -55.1%

After hearing some people comment on this, well I dunno I'm nuts but I'm opening a bottle that I really wish I could just give away.

Anyway poured into a sniffer. No head, marginal fizz on top. The color is off, almost dirty.

The aroma is well burned vomit. With unlike crime a hint of sugar and caramel. There is actually beer behind the peppers which leads me to think while I may dislike this, I'll get beer from the bottle.

The first taste is well a flat caramel flavored beer, yes BEER. The beer then turns to fiery hell, but again stone has beer in this one! This is thousands of times better than expected.

I'll give stone some credit here, they did what they wanted. This is unlike crime a beer and it is absurdly hot. Why they made this, I have no clue. Why bourbon was more easily noticed on the bottle or the base beer being bastard than the heat? Well again marketing is clearly not out to help the consumer on the bottle itself.

Look it's still a terrible beer. Maybe a mixer for something but crazy expensive. There is no way bourbon barrels were needed for this but hey. It's a million times better than crime.

1.5/5  rDev -52.2%

This beer is like drinking liquid Capsaicin - really there is not much else to say. There is so much spice heat in this beer that there really isn't much else that you notice. Awful, awful, terrible beer and I'm severely disappointed I bought it. Should have checked Beer Advocate's rating before plopping down $35 on this guy!

1.6/5  rDev -49%

This was the most difficult beer drinking experience of my life. The first sip was ok for a second and then the intense pepper flavor destroys your taste buds. Why would you barrel age and pepper load a good beer in its own right? I paid $21 for this bottle and my best friend in the world paid $21 for the second worst beer of my life Crime. We drank them in one sitting together and they were almost impossible to finish. If I wasn't a border line alcoholic I would have poured them down the drain. I sucked it up and drank both my portion and my friend John/Jay's. Thanks a lot Stone Brewing. This one will haunt me.

1.62/5  rDev -48.4%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

I had not read any reviews prior to purchasing or trying to drink. Based on the bottle description I thought I would like it.

A: fizzy Tabasco sauce but with more brown coloring. Negligible head.

S: Tabasco sauce with a hint of beer added but minus the vinegar. Still thought I would like it at this point.

T: HOT. Peppers, a hint of malt, heat. The Mrs tried it first, taking about 1mL. Immediately spit it out exclaiming it was hot. I took a normal sip. I didn't spit it out but I didn't drink much more.

M: Thick.

O: I put 3 tablespoons in my chili. I save what was left in the bottle for a friend to try and his response was the same as mine. All the rest went down the drain. Which is really sad because I love Stone's brews. But this was undrinkable. Not sure what I will do with Crime.

1.64/5  rDev -47.8%

Our bottle poured very murky, brown, thick with very little head. The aroma on this beer was all peppers, but if you are a fan of peppers I would say a nice pepper aroma (very hot pepper aroma).

The flavor is all peppers, and this was easily the hottest pepper beer that I have ever tasted. I can handle some amount of spicy, but this beer pushed my tolerance. The pepper flavor overwhelmed all other flavors in the beer, you could not pick out any of the bourbon barrel and maybe only the slightest bit of the underlying beer.

Unless you are really into punishment, take a pass on on this one.

1.68/5  rDev -46.5%

Appearance - pours a murky caramel/brown. A finger of light mocha look a little thin around the sides but creamy on top. Pretty good resilience, stick, lace.

Aroma - sweet and malty at first, peppery on setup. Green, herbal, spicy...smells anything but refreshing, punishment is certain.

Taste - a brief sweet open, and then...wow, what a hot ass beer. Green, herbal, freaking spicy, that's it. A long fiery finish. I have already jammed the cork back in and re-caged the rest, but how in the hell am I going to finish the glass? Brutal, not enjoyable at all.

Mouthfeel - too hot to detect.

Overall - by far the most expensive drainpour ever. Actually, no, I'm still too damn cheap for that. I poured what I could back in the bottle, maybe an ounce less than full. It is headed for a brutal entry into the next beer tasting. I love Stone but this is one of the 5 worst beers I've ever had. Yikes, I'm feeling a little nauseous after that.

1.72/5  rDev -45.2%

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: honestly right off the bat it looks incredible, pure amber...red-orange color makes you think you got something a little good. Medium bubbles thick head comes an off-white.

Smell: Pepper scent. Not bad at all.

Taste: F'ing liquid fire. So spicy you can't even pair it with food.

Mouth: okay it's sticky but not the kind of sticky you want.

Overall: I am telling you with the utmost confidence, this beer is a waste of money. It's punishment enough how much they charge for a bottle. I split this amongst friends and everyone agreed it just too spicy to even be called a beer. Best use for the beer is to use it for marinade. Which I ended up doing anyway. No beer wasted in this family.

1.9/5  rDev -39.5%

Ugly appearance with lots of floaties, very spicy with an almost soapy taste. While I appreciate Stone's willingness to go out on a limb and create something different, this beer is a huge fail IMO.

1.96/5  rDev -37.6%

Holy hell. I usually love Stone. But this...this is aptly named...Punishment, for being a loyal consumer. I like spicy foods...always like to chase them with a nice, cold beer. But this...what do you chase with when it's the beer that burns you?

It looked great. It smelled interesting, definitely had some crazy pepper in there, a bit of a raw edge to it...

Taste, though...How do I even sum it up?

My wife looked at me after my first sip and asked what was wrong. I think my unprepared response is the best review for this beer:

This...this beer tastes like drinking liquid heartburn.

Mouthfeel...like swallowing your own stomach acid...at least the burn subsided quickly.

I'm not one to drain pour a full bottle, especially one this expensive, but wow, short of using it to marinate some steaks, I can't see any other way I'm going to get through this bottle.

2.06/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Confession: I'm not big on hot peppers,but in recent years I've gotten a bit more into spicier foods. I'm a bit intimidated by this one. Deep brown hued with a bit of light haziness. A quarter inch of khaki colored head rests on top. Odd aroma from the chilies and peppers almost gives it a cinnamon sweet aroma. Not inviting. Whoa! That first taste tells me all I need to know. I'm way out of my league. All I get is a burning sensation and a scorched palate. My tongue and especially my lips are burned. I think my chances of finishing this are zero. I can't recall the last time that happened. I honestly poured the rest out without another sip. FAIL!

2.11/5  rDev -32.8%

A: Poured dark copper with a light tan head.
S: It smelled like sweet caramel, vanilla and oak. Only got the slightest bit of pepper aroma
T: I absolutely love chili beers. After reading the reviews here I feel like I must have gotten a bad bottle. I was very excited for this supposedly " capsaicin-throttled spawn of a beer behemoth" I got absolutely no heat or pepper flavor in this beer. It tasted just like a barrel aged Double Bastard which is good but not what I was promised. It sounded like it would be the hottest beer I ever had and it was very mild. Very disappointing
M: It was had a good body with moderate carbonation.
D: I wish I would have gotten the beer that the bottle and many others say this beer is, but for some reason mine had no heat whatsoever :(

2.2/5  rDev -29.9%

Enjoyed Crime, but this one was terrible. I like the pepper finish in a lot of these stouts and don't even mind a little heat, but this was nothing but heat, way too much. Kept trying Tio like it for several sips as it warmed, finally gave up and drain poured.

2.25/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

500ml bottle into a tulip. From notes. Let's just say this was a lot of 'fun'...

A: Pours a murky dark brown color with lots of sediment. There's also a one finger off-white head, lacking in retention. Ah well, it's a 12% barrel-aged monster.

S: First whiff isn't so bad - it's actually pretty fruity. Next whiff is a holy shit moment where the heat from the peppers start their nostril-raping mission. I mean that in a good way. Like I said, the peppers bring some great fruity tones to the nose. I could complain that it drowns out the base beer, but I won't. I'm really impressed with the layered depth of the hot peppers.

T: Bourbon briefly opens the palate, along with the trademark vanilla and caramel of Double Bastard...and then the fruity spiciness hits the palate like a million anvils. It's right below the threshold of what my palate can handle, so it's not the general heat I have a problem with. Here is my big, huge, OMGWTF problem with this beer: the disconnect between the peppers and the base beer is horrific. Literally, this is - by far - the most clashing, disharmonious beer I've ever sampled before. For instance, there tries to be something resembling hops on the back end...it's only real effect seems to be exacerbating the heat. Same with the bourbon presence, and the malt backbone, and the alcohol...

M: The mouthfeel fails because the general flavor and finish is too damn long. With just a shorter finish, or perhaps a more well-integrated flavor profile, this would be infinitely more palatable. Carbonation...who cares, really?

O: Long story short: between two people who LOVE spicy food, we had to drainpour this. I don't drainpour often. And I sure as shit don't drainpour $20 bottles, either. Stone is such a frustrating brewery - their main line is rock-solid, and some of their beers are fantastic (their 15th Anny and RuinTen are among my favorite beers ever), but then you get mediocrity like the 16th Anny...and even worse, unmitigated crap like this. I don't even feel like making a cute pun about this being Punishment to drink, this just plain sucks.

2.32/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Shared with 6 friends....

We all knew what we were getting into. Poured small amounts at first.

A: murky brown, minimal head but nothing that was unappealing.

S: very little presence of the base BA Double Bastard. Just a confusing blend of peppers.

T: there is a mild pepper burn in the center of the mouth, nothing at the tip of the tongue or in the throat. It's not overpowering or painful just a mess really. There is no distinct pepper flavor profile, just the mild heat.

M: as above mild heat only in the center of the mouth, it killed all attributes of the base beer.

O: about the only positive aspect would be to use this in chili or some other dish that can utilize both the beer and spice.

2.34/5  rDev -25.5%

500ml corked and caged bottle poured into a matching stone pint glass. The pours a murkey mahogany color with an off-white cap that fades to a thin film atop and faint spotting of lacework stickin to the glass. A swirl revives the cap that is quick to fade.

The aroma is straight peppers. Very earthen with seemingly chipotle spice and almost a smoked earthen veggy and dry dusty pepper aspect. There is a little fruity to almost tropical kick behind the peppers as deeper sniffs are taken in. But be warned, taking a deep whiff is borderline offensive.

The flavor is all burning peppers upfront that is so spicy that it feels chalky, gritty and peppery with an earthen heat. Very faintly underneath you can feel something slightly fruity and almist tropical that is hardly reminescent of double bastard with a mild toffee-like maltiness.

This is a medium bodied brew with a light level of carbonation. This is about the most fitting name possible for a beer...ever. It is pungent and spicy to the point where its nearly imposdible to enjoy. An absolute endorphin rush. I am afraid of how bad this is going to feel tomorrow. Sidebar item: ive had this on tap 2 or so yeard ago so I knew just how bad this was going to be. Dont try to drink a whole bottle by yourself, its a dumb idea. This beer is highly recommended as a gag gift and nothing more. What a waste of barrel aged double bastard.

2.35/5  rDev -25.2%

2/6/2011

On tap at Winter Storm 2011. This is oak aged (not sure if barrel or chips) double bastard with more of Greg's home grown chili peppers.

A: Reddish brown.

S: Prominent chili with caramel and toffee. Dark fruits are evident, as well as a nutty quality. Peppers smell nice.

T: Pepper flavor is strong and they provide a powerful heat as well. Aside from that, there's little else going on. The flavor is watery. A little caramel. Upper moderate bitterness.

M: Lower medium body with upper low carbonation: Mouthfeel is thin, sticky, and watery.

Overall: I appreciate two new Stone beers, but the name of this one is fitting.

2.4/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

A: murky brown like the Crime I just drain poured

S: The Devil's balls after sitting in a hot tub for an hour

T: Those same Devils balls. This is brutally spicy and just hurts

F: Non existent. Just burning pain and anger. Feels like you wish you didnt just drink this

O: Seriously... WTF?!

Edit: I absolutely love spicy hot food. This isnt bout being able to handle the heat, its just a bad beer.Plain and simple.

2.49/5  rDev -20.7%

On Tap

Stone 15th Anniversary Celebration
CSU, San Marcos
San Marcos, CA

Dark amber and ruby with a thin light brown head and leaves spotted lacing down the glass.

A touch of caramel in the aroma and then lots and lots of face-smacking spice--smells like spicy jalapeno juice. Interesting, though perhaps even too powerful.

This beer starts similarly to the aroma: a faint hint of caramel and toffee sweetness, and then a stinging, spice flavor. This one seemed even more hot and spicy than it's little brother, Crime. This is Crime on spicy steroids! Tough to drink much, if any, of this beer, though it is unique and worth trying (once!).

Medium mouthfeel.

If given the choice, I'd drink Crime before drinking Punishment.

2.49/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.75

2013 bottle ( tried the Crime form that year & buried this sucker deep ) Pours a turbid & effervescent Auburn with a pinky of tan head. Thin tan head, drops bright, below average head retention

Tons of Habenero, a little cherry, some oak. Becomes hotter & to to the point = DRAINPOUR

T: All this nose in the flavor, too damn spicy

MF: Medium body, a some carbonation

Unless you are some pepperhead, just, don't !!!

2.57/5  rDev -18.2%

A: This poured an opaque dark copper with lots of sediment and quickly dissipating light tan head.
S: It smelled like spicy chili peppers, with a little sweet caramel and vanilla and oak.
T: It tasted like burning. Just burning. If there were any other flavors, good luck finding them with a flaming tongue. It had a lasting hot aftertaste.
M: It was thick with moderate carbonation. Nice full body.
D: This was similar to Crime but with way more extreme heat. Forget balance or nuance, this was basically drinking a glass of magma. Not sure if age would help mellow, but this was really tough to get through fresh. Not recommended.

2.62/5  rDev -16.6%

Pours a murky brown color with a smallish tight toasted khaki head.

The aroma is malty sweet. Big caramel and toffee notes. There is a strong vegetal aroma from the peppers. A little heat detected. Lots of vanilla from the barrel. Quite a strong aroma; the veggie notes is a tad too strong.

The taste is of a sweet brown malt along with caramel and vanilla. The heat from the peppers blasts through the sweetness. Again quite vegetal. It's quite sweet and the veggie flavor seems to bring the sweetness past cloying. The heat from the peppers is used as an offset. The heat doesn't bother me as much as the veggie flavor.

The body is moderate with soft carbonation. Quite sweet on the palate and sticky in the finish. Plenty of heat but I seem not to have too much of an issue with it. Sweetness is cloying.

Punishment didn't seem to bother me as much as crime. It is still too sweet and vegetal for my liking.

Punishment from Arrogant Brewing