Punishment | Arrogant Brewing

PunishmentPunishment

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: Chile Beer

A palate-punishing ale unlike any other
Never intended for the timid, Punishment is the capsaicin-throttled spawn of a beer behemoth, Double Bastard Ale. In this year’s brew, the flavors of Double Bastard Ale have been further enhanced by the bourbon barrel aging. The addition of chile peppers to the beer adds lingering flavors in the finish of subtle tropical fruit and some layers of heat along with the toffee, caramel malt and hop flavors.

Added by womencantsail on 02-06-2011

Reviews: 82 | Ratings: 381
3.08/5  rDev -2.5%

appearance: murky golden brown. Not much head to speak of.
smell: Getting a bit of actual beer smell in this as opposed to Crime. Still, very similar in that it smells mostly like uncooked hot peppers. not much happening actually.
taste: Not sure if i'm informed by my not so pleasant Crime experience, but this seems to have a little more going than just pepper juice. Still hot as hell and peppers dominate but there's a little of the actual beer holding up in this one.
overall: not a great beer and a novelty to be sure, but Punishment pulls this off better than Crime imo.

4.05/5  rDev +28.2%

500ml bottle poured into some little sample glasses. It's a chile beer, so just like Crime, which I reviewed a short time ago, I'm expecting chile up front.

Pours quite cloudy, with a small head, and very little (but very fine) carbonation. Looks a little better than its brother, Crime, because it's not as flat-looking. Smell is lots of peppers, but more of a caramelized pepper aroma than just a burning spiciness. Something in the smell reminds me of toffee. Peppers and toffee is a good combination, by the way.

Taste is dominated by peppers. There is some intense bitterness behind it, and some very nice caramel sweetness. Lots of spice. I think this one's a bit spicier than Crime. This one is also quite smokey. Something about this reminds me of maple syrup.

Mouthfeel is smooth, light. I like this beer, but I have to sip it slowly.

3.81/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A excellent beer with a great showcase of peppers. Aroma fresh chili peppers hard to single out any in particular. Taste upfront is wave of chili; garden green jalapeno, and smoke leading to caramel / butterscotch middle and fiery finish. Very intriguing at first; somewhat one-sided and painful as the capsaicin burns its path initially. Through out sipping malt sweetness and caramel becomes more prevalent and burning dulls to where becomes more complex and bourbon shines thru. Personally set out to only have a glass; then wife waived the white flag after first sip and was stuck finishing the bottle which towards the end felt like punishment with senses saying "NO more PEPPERS!". A great experience but bring friends to help endure the ride to really appreciate this beer and "Stone" approach of a chili brew!

3.57/5  rDev +13%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour / Appearance: 500ml corked and caged bottle poured into a Deschutes tulip. A surprising amount of head for a barrel aged beer and the 12% alcohol content, but it's visually appearing. Pour is a very muddy brown, with lots of yeast sediment (my fault from the pour I believe) around the bottom. Shining a light doesn't reveal much other coloration.

Aroma: You can smell the peppers from the second the bottle opens. Definite vegetal nose, but that's to be expected with pepper beers. Luckily it's more the actual pepper aroma and spice, instead of old hops or such. The heat burns the nostrils, but there is some barrel in there and some of the malt backing of Double Bastard. Not much hopping to speak of, but big beer, barrel aged, and with a whole new spicing introduced, that's not odd.

Taste: I find it very drinkable, and that seems to be way against the norm. Obviously the peppers are the showcase, but bits of vanilla oak and darker malt are there. The burning is all around the mouth, hiding the alcohol heat. I can't detect any hop in particular, but there is a non-pepper bitterness hiding behind the capsaicin. Not something you can just down, but definitely a nice sipper in the middle of winter. No, it's not particularly balanced, but it's clearly not supposed to be.

Overall: A dig it a ton, and think it's closer to what people were expecting than Crime. That said, this also has a month or two more age on it, so maybe something's died down. Since they're bottle conditioned, I'm cellaring one of each to try in a year or so.

Bottom Line: Would I buy it again? Yeah, definitely. I also love Chile Beers, brew them, and find them immensely interesting. For the price point though, it's still a bit hard to justify, and I would definitely recommend sampling this before buying if you have any fears of the press about it.

4.24/5  rDev +34.2%

If you go into this beer KNOWING its going to shoot fire out of your face, then your in the right place!

The Nose of this guy was amazing. Fruity pepper notes and lots of heat. Not much else comes through though.

The taste... well, I didn't manage much, even being a spicy food lover, but it was almost instant heat that burned the mouth and throat but came with the intense fruityness that comes with peppers like habeneros and ghost chilis. I got ZERO character from the underlying beer due to the heat.

I'm going to try to make this into a wing sauce as I don't think its drinkable in other than a taste.

I can't say this beer was bad, its AMAZING if what your going for was a mega-heat-pepper-experiamental-nuclear-hot beer.

2.25/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

500ml bottle into a tulip. From notes. Let's just say this was a lot of 'fun'...

A: Pours a murky dark brown color with lots of sediment. There's also a one finger off-white head, lacking in retention. Ah well, it's a 12% barrel-aged monster.

S: First whiff isn't so bad - it's actually pretty fruity. Next whiff is a holy shit moment where the heat from the peppers start their nostril-raping mission. I mean that in a good way. Like I said, the peppers bring some great fruity tones to the nose. I could complain that it drowns out the base beer, but I won't. I'm really impressed with the layered depth of the hot peppers.

T: Bourbon briefly opens the palate, along with the trademark vanilla and caramel of Double Bastard...and then the fruity spiciness hits the palate like a million anvils. It's right below the threshold of what my palate can handle, so it's not the general heat I have a problem with. Here is my big, huge, OMGWTF problem with this beer: the disconnect between the peppers and the base beer is horrific. Literally, this is - by far - the most clashing, disharmonious beer I've ever sampled before. For instance, there tries to be something resembling hops on the back end...it's only real effect seems to be exacerbating the heat. Same with the bourbon presence, and the malt backbone, and the alcohol...

M: The mouthfeel fails because the general flavor and finish is too damn long. With just a shorter finish, or perhaps a more well-integrated flavor profile, this would be infinitely more palatable. Carbonation...who cares, really?

O: Long story short: between two people who LOVE spicy food, we had to drainpour this. I don't drainpour often. And I sure as shit don't drainpour $20 bottles, either. Stone is such a frustrating brewery - their main line is rock-solid, and some of their beers are fantastic (their 15th Anny and RuinTen are among my favorite beers ever), but then you get mediocrity like the 16th Anny...and even worse, unmitigated crap like this. I don't even feel like making a cute pun about this being Punishment to drink, this just plain sucks.

1.16/5  rDev -63.3%

Pours a cloudy dark reddish brown color with a decent off-white head. The head fizzles away rather quickly and leaves minimal lacing. Not a terrible looking (Jaws music starts playing) beer.

The aroma is like opening a bag of fresh jalapeno peppers and inhaling as hard as you possibly can. I think there's some beer or malt or something in there but it's mostly hot peppers. Have you ever shoved a jar of Tabasco sauce up your nose while having a good buzz? Yeah, that.

You know when you eat spicy food and it doesn't quite sit well with you and you burp and some stomach acid comes up into your throat and it feels like you just ate the spicy food again only this time it's covered in bile? Add about 12% ABV to that and you have Punishment.

The feel is oily, thick, and I'm not even sure of the carb level because I'm too busy wishing I had made better choices in life.

Look, I adore spicy food. It's delicious. But this isn't food. It's beer. I don't drink beer to sweat and cry and wish I was dead. That's what Indian food is for. I drink beer to savor the taste and aromas. This isn't beer. It's a bottle of mucus from the mouth of Abbadon after gorging on Chipotle.

3.69/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

I read and researched so much about this beer before I went out an bought it. I did NOT buy this because it was a "weird one off", "rarity","hype" from the famous STONE Brewery. I got this because I wanted a LIQUID DRINK that would burn my mouth and taste like hot sauce. I LOVE hot peppers. LOVE them. So I indulged.

Smell: Like a mash of hot peppers. Almost eye watering from the capsicum. Some bourbon came through. This did NOT smell like a beer...which got me excited for the taste.

Tastes: HOT PEPPERS! FUCKING HOT PEPPERS EVERYWHERE! Some tropical Fruity peppers, then some green pepper skin flavor, Then woody bourbon. Fucking bourbon. NO beer flavor. I could have done without that god damn bourbon (trendy shit) but, I knew what I was getting into. This was what I was expecting from the beer. Overwhelming pepper. I was OK with that.

Mouth feel. My mouth reacted immediately by making my spit thick from the peppers. I guess it's my body's defense mechanism. There was a effervescence that lifted the heat of the peppers...to...PEPPER SPICE/HEAT. The effervescence combine with ABV drove the pepper spice deeper into my tongue. The first sip I got full heat. After that the heat was a very quick whip lash and then gone.

Overall: I love peppers so I loved those aspects of this so-called "beer". Fuck off with the bourbon. Unlike most people I DID drink the entire bottle. The price was bullshit, NO REASON aside from stone playing money grab. The serving was WAY too big. I feel a bit duped by the glass bottle being half the weight. When I picked up the bottle at the shop I figured I was getting more liquid as the bottle felt quite heavy.

Would I buy again? YES< IF I WAS COOKING with this beer. To sit and drink...NO.
I WOULD suggest this to a pepper fiend but I would let them know that (my opinion) this did NOT have any beer aspects aside from alcohol.

4.18/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Going into this beer I had heard a lot about the heat and how intense it truly was. The bad reviews only made me more interested. Opened and reviewed live at our Strong Ale/Barleywine tasting last week.

A- Somewhat hazy and dark red/brown murkiness like the original Double Bastard. Small creamy white head to half a finger or so but it falls quickly to a ring of foamy bubbles. Some decent spotty lace but mostly legs and bareness.

S- Pure fresh cut habanero and similar ghost peppers, just that fumy spicy capsacin doom. Maybe a tiny bit of malts but mostly just that fresh fruity habanero doom. Seriously this smells better than most hot sauces.

T- Opens up just a bit but the base beer is pretty much nonexistent again and the barrels are not here either. Again, habaneros and ghost peppers are pretty much dominant, fumy fruity pepper flesh is 95% of the flavor or more with just a bit of the malts and base coming through, barrels...? Charred, dried pepper skin and painful spiciness, I LOVE Habanero hot sauce as much as anyone but damn.

MF- Moderately highly carbonated with a medium thickness body. Hot, spicy peppers dominate the feel and ignite the palate. 12% is nothing in the shadow of the spiciness. Just an awesome habanero spicy lingering on the palate.

Habanero 100% to the max, like fumy fruity greatness extracted from chiles. The base beer is gone but this re-invents chili beer and 12% ABV is a joke in this case. If you have ever sliced habaneros, try this beer. Took off some overall points because this could have been a GEM if there was any Bourbon Double Bastard left to be found. IF YOU LIKE HABANEROS TRY THESE BEERS!

3.57/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with a nice head that leaves some shards of lacing behind

Smell: Habanero peppers with caramel, vanilla and oaky undertones

Taste: Keeping the liquid on the tip of my tongue enables me to taste the caramel, vanilla and oak before the massive burn from the peppers takes over; after that all hell breaks lose over the rest of my tastebuds

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation and a wallop of burn

Overall: I could have handled jalapenos, but when you get into nagas, Caribbean red hots, Moruga scorpions and fatilis, I am overwhelmed; I don't know anything about any of them but they are in the habanero category to me, if not hotter

3.41/5  rDev +7.9%

October 2013 bottle.

A: Pours a very dark brown with dark red highlights. Enormous and dense light, light brown head. Head refuses to budge, super super thick. Maybe the thickest head on a beer ever - it looks like a milkshake. Heavy layers of lacing left behind. Great retention.

S: Very unusual and unique smell. It smells vaguely like jalapenos (vegetal peppers) and some sweet oranges? And it burns my lungs. It doesn't SMELL hot but it burns my lungs. Should I be concerned? I have pre-dialed 911.

T: Kinda a sweet maltiness up front with lots of vegetal pepper. Tastes like burnt oranges too. Then the heat kicks in. Hoo boy, does it kick in. Searing heat. This is not for the faint of heart. You must be a chili lover to enjoy this beer. Even then, it's borderline. Two sips in and my lips are on fire, my mouth is numb and my belly is wondering WTF I am doing. This is seriously hot. Ghost Face Killah level hot, maybe even worse. From beginning to end it is just pain. Slight bit of sweet malt and smokiness in the finish. No bourbon found anywhere.

M: Somewhat heavy and thick. But you won't be feeling anything past the first sip anyway, total numbness of lips and tongue.

O: Whew. Seriously, seriously hot beer. I doubt more than 5% of the population could even make it through this bottle. This is one step away from drinking from a bottle of hot sauce. I gave it a good score because it does what it came to do. Hell, it's CALLED Punishment. They were not kidding. I didn't score the taste that great because it can hardly be regarded as a beer. It's just alcoholic hot sauce. But who cares.

1.12/5  rDev -64.6%

Listen Guy, this is the worst beer I have ever had besides Crime. Do not waste your money, sobriety or time. The smell made me want to throw up. My 3 friends and I could not drink more than a sip each. We poured ours out and drank a Founders Backwoods Bastard to bring our palates back.

3.61/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is basically the same review I gave for Stone's Crime, and with all due respect, this beer tastes basically the same - the peppers will dominate your drinking experience. It has a higher abv, and some alcohol will express itself as an adjunct to the chile heat - and it has a thicker malt base; but, as was the case with Crime, this will not be a drinking experience many will want/need to repeat - certainly not at $20 for a 500 mL bottle.

A: dark amber brown, with a fat tan head that leaves ample thick lace behind as it recedes.

S: mild chewy caramel and toffee malts with airs of harsh whiskey and oak barrels; suggestions of the peppery heart contained within

T: the chile in the beer overwhelms all other flavors - the bourbon can't rise above the chile heat, and the malts are in the background; hops and yeasts overpowered by hot spicy pepper heat. As was not the case so much with Crime, some of the malts will assert themselves as you become used to the heat, and you may pick up a nuance of sweet bread or herbs. Alcohol is present but even it is subordinate to the chile peppers.

M: full-bodied beer, slick and smooth, but the heat from the chiles will light your mouth and lip on fire; chewier than Crime, it's sibling ale.

O: I liked the beer, but wouldn't return to it - a $20 bottle of hot sauce - the beer lacks nuance - and it's a shame, too - a bourbon barrel aged beer should have more say in the final flavor than this beer has. If you have any hesitation about heat in beer, avoid this beer without regret. It is for fans of heat - who will love it. No kidding, forget beer - if you like hot sauce, you will like this beer. Seriously. Probably fantastic as a marinade. As a fan of bourbon barrel-aging, I was not be able to appreciate the bourbon at all.
If you want a firebomb beer-drinking experience, or you like extreme beers with high abv, give it a try. If your budget doesn't allow for a very pricey purchase, you needn't worry to pass it over..

2.32/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Shared with 6 friends....

We all knew what we were getting into. Poured small amounts at first.

A: murky brown, minimal head but nothing that was unappealing.

S: very little presence of the base BA Double Bastard. Just a confusing blend of peppers.

T: there is a mild pepper burn in the center of the mouth, nothing at the tip of the tongue or in the throat. It's not overpowering or painful just a mess really. There is no distinct pepper flavor profile, just the mild heat.

M: as above mild heat only in the center of the mouth, it killed all attributes of the base beer.

O: about the only positive aspect would be to use this in chili or some other dish that can utilize both the beer and spice.

4.15/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

(Here's the thing- a few ounces are plenty, more is just self mutilation.) We now return you to your regularly scheduled review...

Punishment. The counterpart to Crime. It portrays an element of correcting what was wronged. It serves a all the unpleasantries that's necessary in order to restore karma. Yet, how can a beer bearing such name offer so much glory and satisfaction? For those who revel in the pain, this beer comes calling to you!

Similar to the standard Double Bastard Ale, this veggie-inspired ale pours with the common deep amber, hazy and frothy appearance. As the beer slowly stratifies, it leaves an absurdly murky haze behind while a creamy and slowly developing pillow emerges above. Not much on retention, its lacing is also compromised- first notice that this beast of a beer has something minister smoldering beneath.

The first passing of the nose reveals some familiar scents- toffee, maple, caramel and vanilla (partly of ale, partly of barred), but then a deeper sniff stuns the nose. All that sweet and savory is abruptly interrupted with vegetative spice of pepper, agave, avocado, jalapeno, paprika, cumin and scorched earth. Its quickly obvious that the focus has shifted to the pepper additions.

That first reluctant sip unleashes a hurried sweetness of the same toffee, maple, caramel and oak taste- just ahead of the pepper onslaught to ensue. The vegetable flavors of jalapeno strike first with the fruit pulp that's similar to green tomato and agave. But the beer quickly sheds all that and dives head first into sheer heat! The build up of high capsaisin flavor burns of firey Tabasco, the sharpness of black nagas, and the ultra heated scorpion peppers. Though other peppers are involved, much gets lost with its sheer spice- even the beer's high saline and mineral character acts to elevate its heat. Just when utter abandonment of taste is held, the peppers waiver a bit and allow some civil semblance of palatability to ensue.

Medium-lig.... who fuckin' cares! This beer isn't about body. It could be thick, it could be thin- but that has nothing to do with this beer. All that is cared about is the effect of that spice on the palate sensations. And that is a bullying spice that numbs the mouth with ease and lights the throat and stomach like lava with even the very first sip. Its heat smolders on the palate with long-lasting throbbing response. Hot as fuck, this ale offers no apologies as it steels your girlfriend, burns your house, wrecks your car and then turn to laugh at you.

There's really no reason for a beer to be this hot..., this abrasive..., this defiant. Yet it does. As I have never had a beer that rivals the heat that was expressed here, it has support, balance and resonance. As abrasive as it may seem, this beer simply works!

4.75/5  rDev +50.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Okay, as a chili pepper beer, this is the best of the best! It already starts with a great Stone base, and the bottle design just entices/intimidates you before you drink it. Then, once you uncork it, this overwhelming, amazing chili pepper smell comes creeping out of the bottle letting you know what you're getting yourself into. Your pour it out, and you can see little chili pepper residue in the brew, and the smell really intensifies. The moment you drink it, those peppers just kick your ass, but in a really delicious way! I recommend the sip, not the gulp! Overall, I can't understand how someone who would spend the money to buy this would rank it low! You're upset a spicy beer is spicy?! Deal with it! It's delicious and definitely worth a try (if you share with friends!)

3.24/5  rDev +2.5%

Serving Type - 16.9 oz caged and corked bottle

Appearance - Nice murky burnt tan/orange, foamy 1/2 head with tons of sticky lacing.

Smell - Bourbon, butterscotch, the skins of a fresh pepper. Caramel malts and some sweet fruits.

Taste - First sip, for about a second, sweet bourbon and the classic flavor of double bastard then bam! High heat of peppers comes in. Jalapeno peppers dominate this beer. Nothing more to say really.

Mouthfeel - Peppers, crush, dominate and PUNISH the tongue and palate. Each sip gets a little more warm till your tongue is numb.

Overall - Good god. I don't hate this but I must say, why ruin barrel aged double bastard with all these peppers? And also, this was ridiculously priced at 24$!!! I love, stone, didn't think twice about buying this but, I feel really ripped off, this isn't even a 22oz bottle! there's no balance, just the crushing pepper kick. Its worth a sip, make sure you share this bottle with friends cause there's no way you can finish the whole bottle.

4.09/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

500 ml bottle poured into small snifter. No head. Very little clear lacing. Cloudy copper body. Aroma includes notes of cucumber, fresh peppers, cayenne, sriracha. Taste is all heat, tongue tingling, lip numbing. Hard to pick up other flavors beyond the heat but I feel like my taste buds are stimulated and now I will probably enjoy my dinner even more. Pairs well with chicken wings. Unique experience. Share with friends because I don't think you should drink more than a few ounces. This beer delivers on its promises and after all, isn't that all you can ask for in a beer or any other consumer good?

3.16/5  rDev 0%

Smells hot, brewed with habeneros and ghost chilies. Tastes sweet, hoppy, and has a definite chili flavor Mouthfeel is smooth, medium bodied, with a very spicy kick in the back of the throat Looks dark, golden brown. Happy to tried both Crime and Punishment but happier that I won't be trying them again.

2.83/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

500ML poured into a snifter

A- Pours a super murky viscous amber brown. No head at all. Alcohol legs. An intimidating beer.

S- An unexpected mishmash of peppers and bourbon. A spicy chili note and the aroma of the chili itself are bold on the nose. A bold bourbon excellently accompanied by a malty bastard.

T- WOW. The peppers hit like a ton of bricks. This beer is spicy, like burns the tongue spicy. The pepper flavor itself is very bold, so you better like mexican food. The bourbon flavor is there in the masses as well as a smoothed out double bastard. A nice malt bill of caramel and toffee complimented by vanilla from the barrel. If there is any hop flavor or bitterness, I cant tell.

M- Big, thick, strong, HOTTER that hell.

O- I really wanted to like this beer. I love double bastard, bourbon and spicy beers. But this is overkill. I wanted to enjoy the beer's flavors but my mouth was too burnt up to enjoy any of this 20$ drain pour.

4.24/5  rDev +34.2%

Let's be clear about something; if you can't handle heat, you aren't man (or woman) enough for this beer. 6 of us sampled this, and we all enjoyed it. I am not even a big fan of spice, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

A: Cloudy, murky and dark amber
S: peppers. Lots of peppers. It almost smells like a jalapeño pizza with extra jalapeños.
T: First, you're assaulted with a wave of intense heat. Take a small sip and swirl it just to coat your mouth and get the initial shock over with. After that, take the time to enjoy it. There is a lot of good in the taste, some caramel and roasted flavors, a little vanilla, and some buttery notes before being once again washed out by the heat. The finish is pure heat.
M: Dense and oily, this beer coats your throat the entire way down.
O: A rather enjoyable, if somewhat masochistic, brew from Stone. You will NOT want to finish a bottle on your own. I had about 4 ounces and was done. I could feel the capsaicin burn from my mouth all the way down into my stomach, and every burp tasted like jalapeño pizza afterwards. I'd honestly recommend anyone try this beer, just don't focus too much on the heat and it's pretty damn good.

1.64/5  rDev -48.1%

Our bottle poured very murky, brown, thick with very little head. The aroma on this beer was all peppers, but if you are a fan of peppers I would say a nice pepper aroma (very hot pepper aroma).

The flavor is all peppers, and this was easily the hottest pepper beer that I have ever tasted. I can handle some amount of spicy, but this beer pushed my tolerance. The pepper flavor overwhelmed all other flavors in the beer, you could not pick out any of the bourbon barrel and maybe only the slightest bit of the underlying beer.

Unless you are really into punishment, take a pass on on this one.

3.31/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Muddy red/light brown color. Light head on the pour with a thin layer of head on the edges of the glass. Some very light active carbonation in the glass while drinking.

Smell: Insanely earthy acidic peppers attacks the drinker right away. Once you get past those there are some tones of vanilla, butterscotch, and some slight bourbon. Those peppers just continue to be absolutely violence, truly a sinister, unbalanced feeling from the aroma.

Taste: The front is actually pretty smooth accents of caramel and bourbon sweetness. Then, wow, shit, peppers. Insanely potent peppers give off some brightly vibrant fruit flavors that find a way on to the palate through the fire. Oak and that bourbon sweetness can also be picked up on the back end. The finish is earthy peppers with plenty of heat.

Mouthfeel: Hot but there is a ton of things going on here. The palate is absolutely pushed to its limits.

Overall: Its not undrinkable but this is about a 3 or 4 ounce maximum per serving. The double bastard accents get lost which holds this brew back for me, comes off as a barrel aged pepper brew. Burns the palate and through, but is no doubt a unique brew.

2.34/5  rDev -25.9%

500ml corked and caged bottle poured into a matching stone pint glass. The pours a murkey mahogany color with an off-white cap that fades to a thin film atop and faint spotting of lacework stickin to the glass. A swirl revives the cap that is quick to fade.

The aroma is straight peppers. Very earthen with seemingly chipotle spice and almost a smoked earthen veggy and dry dusty pepper aspect. There is a little fruity to almost tropical kick behind the peppers as deeper sniffs are taken in. But be warned, taking a deep whiff is borderline offensive.

The flavor is all burning peppers upfront that is so spicy that it feels chalky, gritty and peppery with an earthen heat. Very faintly underneath you can feel something slightly fruity and almist tropical that is hardly reminescent of double bastard with a mild toffee-like maltiness.

This is a medium bodied brew with a light level of carbonation. This is about the most fitting name possible for a beer...ever. It is pungent and spicy to the point where its nearly imposdible to enjoy. An absolute endorphin rush. I am afraid of how bad this is going to feel tomorrow. Sidebar item: ive had this on tap 2 or so yeard ago so I knew just how bad this was going to be. Dont try to drink a whole bottle by yourself, its a dumb idea. This beer is highly recommended as a gag gift and nothing more. What a waste of barrel aged double bastard.

1.6/5  rDev -49.4%

This was the most difficult beer drinking experience of my life. The first sip was ok for a second and then the intense pepper flavor destroys your taste buds. Why would you barrel age and pepper load a good beer in its own right? I paid $21 for this bottle and my best friend in the world paid $21 for the second worst beer of my life Crime. We drank them in one sitting together and they were almost impossible to finish. If I wasn't a border line alcoholic I would have poured them down the drain. I sucked it up and drank both my portion and my friend John/Jay's. Thanks a lot Stone Brewing. This one will haunt me.

Punishment from Arrogant Brewing