Punishment | Arrogant Brewing

PunishmentPunishment

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: Chile Beer

A palate-punishing ale unlike any other
Never intended for the timid, Punishment is the capsaicin-throttled spawn of a beer behemoth, Double Bastard Ale. In this year’s brew, the flavors of Double Bastard Ale have been further enhanced by the bourbon barrel aging. The addition of chile peppers to the beer adds lingering flavors in the finish of subtle tropical fruit and some layers of heat along with the toffee, caramel malt and hop flavors.

Added by womencantsail on 02-06-2011

Liked:
2.93/5
Alströms:

1.25/5  rDev -57.3%

1.41/5  rDev -51.9%

After hearing some people comment on this, well I dunno I'm nuts but I'm opening a bottle that I really wish I could just give away.

Anyway poured into a sniffer. No head, marginal fizz on top. The color is off, almost dirty.

The aroma is well burned vomit. With unlike crime a hint of sugar and caramel. There is actually beer behind the peppers which leads me to think while I may dislike this, I'll get beer from the bottle.

The first taste is well a flat caramel flavored beer, yes BEER. The beer then turns to fiery hell, but again stone has beer in this one! This is thousands of times better than expected.

I'll give stone some credit here, they did what they wanted. This is unlike crime a beer and it is absurdly hot. Why they made this, I have no clue. Why bourbon was more easily noticed on the bottle or the base beer being bastard than the heat? Well again marketing is clearly not out to help the consumer on the bottle itself.

Look it's still a terrible beer. Maybe a mixer for something but crazy expensive. There is no way bourbon barrels were needed for this but hey. It's a million times better than crime.

1.75/5  rDev -40.3%

3.25/5  rDev +10.9%

3.6/5  rDev +22.9%

3.25/5  rDev +10.9%

Quite hot but not overbearing. I quickly grew accustomed the heat but that made the flavor of the base beer more apparent which wasn't necessarily a good thing. This level of heat in a sour ale, like Upright's Fatali Four, would be great.

4.2/5  rDev +43.3%

1.5/5  rDev -48.8%

This beer is like drinking liquid Capsaicin - really there is not much else to say. There is so much spice heat in this beer that there really isn't much else that you notice. Awful, awful, terrible beer and I'm severely disappointed I bought it. Should have checked Beer Advocate's rating before plopping down $35 on this guy!

3.55/5  rDev +21.2%

Had this as part of an annual Labor Day weekend homebrew/picnic have fun fest.
I actually think I picked up a bit of a seed at some point. Certainly an appropriate vegetal aroma that is green and pepper like. Good darkish head and a amber, muddy body.
Flavor is noted by heat. Within the taste a pretty darn good strong ale that mixes with the heat, pepper/vegetal flavor. The oak was a little hard for me to pick up.
Reasonable smooth and carbonated just fine.
This is actually not as bad as many score it. It is work to get through, but it has a place. I think that matching it with either spicy or to contrast non-spicy food may actually be okay to give a try.

Punishment from Arrogant Brewing