Arrogant Bastard Ale | Arrogant Brewing

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: American Strong Ale

At Arrogant Bastard Brewing Co., we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny—a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale...even outright attempts to copy it...but only one can ever embody the true nature of Liquid Arrogance!

Added by kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Liked:
4.15/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 10,643 |  Reviews: 3,076
Reviews by goalie35:
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Presentation: 22 oz brown bomber with a silk screen painted label of the "Stone Brewing Gargoyle" which wards off impurities that would otherwise taint the sanctity of the brew. Though this gargoyle is a bit different ... he has an arrogant look to him, basically saying you are not worthy of this brew. The back of the label is freagin' halarious! More arrogance, teasing. No, double dog daring you to try the beer.

Appearance: Deep reddish brown in colour with an appealing off-white lace. Really frothy, sticky and retains remarkably well.

Smell: Coarse hop are all over the nose, as are toasted grains, fruity esters and alcohol. Very aromatic.

Taste: Medium bodied, yet rich, full and complex. Smooth, especially as it warms. Big malty sweetness with caramel, chocolate and toasted/roasted flavours. Alcohol prickliness teases the palate then the brew kicks its ass with an assertive hop profile. It's raw, coarse, a bit prickly itself, mildly rind-like. Helps to balance the huge malt flavours. Finishes with a lingering sweetness, caramel, roasted coffee. A bit grain/dry too.

Notes: Hugely complex. Its arrogance is indeed correct. As stated on the label, if you do not have the "taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth" then you may not like it. Or rather, go drink your safe beer wimp. It's rather aggressive, but oh so damn good (in an evil, not worthy way). Just beware before you drink. This beer is not for the faint of heart.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a medium brown with medium sticky head,aroma is somewhat hoppy and maybe a little orange-like.Taste is pretty hoppy and zesty to begin with,with some nutty tones as well as caramel tones on the palate.Wow this is a complex brew,have heard alot of stuff about this one,now I know why.

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

DATE TASTED: February 6, 2015... GLASSWARE: HopDevil nonick... OCCASION: Cavs going for thirteen in a row--tying a franchise record?... APPEARANCE: serious dark brown body with steady effervescence; thick as snow, creamy, chunky off-white head that craters and clings... AROMA: instant pineapple and peach erupt; earthier textures blanket the scent with caramel malts and some interesting yeasts... PALATE: a powerful, mouth-awakening grip that tingles the teeth to the ears; creamy, formidable, and crunchy--in other words, a balanced ale...TASTE: as expected, a brutal malt swamp that holds its ground against a hop-laden West Coast citrus pucker--quite agreeable in its arrogance; love the lingering bitterness on the tongue and teeth, even as the strength of the malt dissipates...OVERALL: an American classic that lives up to its hype again and again--attractive, strong, assertive, alcoholic, reasonably priced and available in bombers or sixes; a versatile and instant mood changer, despite the Cavs' losing...

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I was surprised to read on the distinctively Stone Brewing bottle "Arrogant Bastard Brewing." Whatever the organizational structure, I've always enjoyed Stone for their aggressive and bold approach to brewing. I'm not always in the mood for a beer that takes itself so seriously, but this bomber of stiff brew hits the spot after a long week.

Iconic screen printed bottles are a nice touch. This beer pours an opaque dark red with lots of browns in my snifter. It takes some extra agitation to coax an off white head that fades to a thin bubbly slick. Not the prettiest beer, but it has a unique look.

Smells are hoppy and boozy. I'd never guess this is "only" 7.2 ABV. They say smell is the sense most linked to our memory, and this reminds me of some of the barley wines I've had. Flavored also remind me of a hoppy American style barley wine. Lots of malts that toe the line between caramel and dark roast with mostly citric, lemon-rind hops.

Feel is slick and full, with a long bitter finish. Not the kind of brew you forget what it tastes like after the last swig--the flavor sticks around a long time. For this reason it could easily overwhelm a food pairing.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the aggression because I drank it when I knew it's what I wanted. Very well crafted and a break from the norm.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Okay, you Arrogant Bastard, it's time to get served.

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous copper/brown into a tulip glass. A nice, foamy tan head with decent lacing adorns the crown of the glass.

Aroma: Strong earth tones. A pungent smell, almost like being in a cavern. And there's a cedar-like, forest quality to it as well.

Taste: I was expecting to get knocked on my backside by the hops, but that didn't happen. Instead, the complexity of the flavors slowly rolled over me like a tide. This is a very well-balanced ale. Again, there's that earthy taste to it, along with a gentle carbonation that tickles the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and bitter on the back end, but not overly so. A nice, almost sandy tingle all the way through.

Overall: "Complex" is generally a word bereft of true meaning, but if you want to get an idea what beer drinkers mean when they say it's "complex," then drink this. The tongue-in-cheek reference to being unworthy because you lack the sophistication to truly appreciate this beer actually comes through. I like it. I am very impressed.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

My first Stone beer (IPA) was quite an experience, so I'm approaching Arrogant Bastard Ale with a great deal of anticipation and some pretty high hopes. The label attempts to frighten me off, but fails.

Dark coppery orange with a pale toffee-colored crown. The beer looks slightly menacing, if that's possible. I think I hear an intermittent growling sound, but decide that it must be my imagination. The head is not as generous as it might be (ultimately a barely-covering film), but does leave behind some nice, dense sheets of lace. If my first two are anything to go by, Stone beers are uniformly gorgeous in the glass!

The aroma is interesting. I can't say that I've smelled a beer quite like it before. It's a sort of sweet, caramel-like, roasted maltiness infused with citrus zest. If this beer smells like it tastes, I'm in for a real treat. Arrogant Bastard is not called a strong/old ale for nothing.

The flavor is strong, assertive, aggressive and in-your-face. The label does not lie. I find myself sipping this beast, not because of the alcoholic strength (a relatively tame 7.2%), but from the sheer taste bud swamping, gustatory overload. If it intensifies as it warms, my tongue may throw up the white flag.

Citrus fruity hops are on full display. However, because there's such a huge, caramel-like, toasted maltiness, they aren't as upfront as in the IPA. Malt-hop balance is achieved... a remarkable feat since each one threatens to crush its side of the overburdened scales. Wow! Boatloads of malt and hops slammed together, yet coerced into a unified whole.

Stone has impressed the hell out of me again. While I don't believe that it rises to the heights of their beloved (in my case) IPA, I can recognize Arrogant Bastard Ale as yet another superb example of this brewery's brilliance. Am I worthy? Barely. Just barely.

On tap at Hanafin's New London. On a cold night after a long day at work, this hit the spot. Nice head from the pour. Enough carbonation to keep my interest. A dark, rich full flavored beer. Hops not overly assertive, leaving room to savor the flavors.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Probably my favorite beer. Not an IPA, not a brown ale, not really a strong ale. Just a blend of all of them. Perfect blend of hops and malt, dark but not stout, strong but not too strong.

If I had to drink one beer only for the rest of my life, this would be it.

Seems like one of those "either love it or you hate it" sort of beers. I'm okay with that - you don't have to love it, but I do.

4.19/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bomber enjoyed in a Lagunitas mason jar glass. The label is frankly awesome, "yellow beer drinker" insulting arrogance at its finest. The beer is a murky opaque reddish brown with a comfortable two fingers of notably dark yellow-tan creamy head. Makes me think smoky bar room. Aroma is well-toasted grains, resinous peppery and citrus rind hops, a whiff of raisins, fruity pipe tobacco, aromatic alcohol. Somehow strikes dark/malty and fresh/fruity chords at the same time. The palate starts with bitter spicy hops, some grapefruit peel and flower water, and quickly transitions to nutty toasted malts surprising devoid of toffee or caramel flavors (although these are down there in the mix). A grainy bitterness like burnt Ovaltine and graham crackers coupled with hints of chocolate and walnut. Ample alcohol flavor but this is skillfully done by design. I am getting some peach and more floral notes late. Perhaps a little coffee. Could be the most adept use of fusel alcohols I've yet to sample. Producing a nice warmth about two-thirds through but no (or little) hop burn. Despite these big flavors, the brew is silky smooth yet still rather thick. Caresses the palate. The heavy malts persist all the way through into the finish, which seems astonishingly dry for such a malty brew. The hops are the coda as well as the intro. Has to be experienced to be believed and obviously I'd snag any variants that should enter this still nascent but fortunately growing craft beer market. A near religious experience, on par with Ruination or nearly so.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

12oz bottle poured into a 20oz Firestone glass.What can you say just another solid beer from stone.Great beer that is easy to find here in California.7.2 ABV will get the job done nicely.If you have not tried this give it a try.I think you will like it.

2.72/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I remember having this beer many years, before I started taking notes and entering reviews. I didn't like it then but was still surprised to find I don't like it now either. In general, I'm a big fan of Stone Brewing and my tastes have expanded to include many 'extreme' and big ales. This revisit started well enough, with an attractive red-amber ale topped by a small but durable tan head. The aroma was a slightly boozy mix of medium malt and herbal/earthy hops. The main impression made by the flavor is, unfortunately, the overly bitter aftertaste.

M: medium body and carbonation.

O: too challenging.

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Reviewing this retrospectively, I'm inclined to say it wasn't bad. Definitely palatable, but not anything I'd be rushing to purchase.

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Look: This gets a 5 because I cannot be asked to always grab a glass to see the color of the beer... Do we really care what the color of a beer is? No.

Smell: I don't need to say anything other then hops with some fruits to make an excellent aroma.

Taste: A bitter taste that left my mouth feeling a caramel effect.

Feel: Over the course of this drink I feel that it's a smooth drink that goes down the hatch quickly and that this drink is worth your interest!

Overall: I'd trade or buy more of this beverage with a smile on my face.

1.26/5  rDev -69.6%

This beer tastes like a bad home brew. Unbalanced, overly bitter, and nasty tasting in general. Just because you throw a bunch of ingredients into a beer doesn't make it good. I like hoppy beers, but there are too many bittering hops here. The burnt hop aroma is unappealing. If there is anything wrong with the American craft beer industry, this is it.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Arrogant Bastard pours a rich plumb color, with a thin slightly off-white head, which leaves behind a fancy ring of lace. It smells like dark fruit, with a little bit of nuttiness. It sure has a strong, bitter taste. A nutty mild flavor opens up before it finishes a bit fruity. The feel is rather pleasant. It feels strong and robust, and yet isn't harsh to drink. Overall, meh. I know this beer has a large following, but I'm not a fan. Sure, I'm glad I tried it, but the harsh bitter/hoppy taste really drives me away.

Served in a 12oz snifter.

I'll have you know, Mr. Gargoyle, I AM WORTHY and I love your Beer. Top 10 on my personal list - best beer by Stone in my opinion.

2.4/5  rDev -42.2%

Extremely over powered with hops and herbs. Arrogant is exactly what it is, to the point of disgust. I'm a New Mexican Cumbre or even Santa Fe brewing have better more well rounded beers. This is just in your FUCKING face. If you don't want to waste your time or money go with any Sierra brew.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Confuses the hell out of me but in the end it is a winner. The appearance is a lovely reddish hue with a thickish head that soon thins out, leaving reasonable lacing in its wake. The aroma hints at a US IPA and a UK strong ale and the taste delivers both at first. However, the hops then kick in and crank the beer up to a higher level. The finish is wonderful, with sweetness and resin lurking on the tongue.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber (from the Bastard Box) poured into nonic pint.
Look - Deep, rich reddish brown. Poured vigourously. Head that wouldn't go away. Lacing all down the glass.
Smell - Some breadiness, molasses, hops. Caramel sugars.
Taste - Wow! Malt to hops ... neither overpowers. Sweet fades to bitter.
Feel - Rich and creamy. Coats the tongue to let the hop finish linger.
Overall - I finally get the fuss. This is a huge beer and it does not disappoint. Puts the "strong" in strong ale. Gives you everything you want in a beer.

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had Double Bastard, and I assumed this one would share most characters with it. However, the assumption is pretty wrong, this bottle is much more like a DIPA, hoppy (floral and citrus) and bitter. i.e. It's not as balanced as its bigger bother, which is more similar to barleywine. Nevertheless, it's still a decent American style beer.

2.38/5  rDev -42.7%

Geeeeaayahhhh! Taste worse than azz and I've had my tongue in a few. Like drinking a beer that someone flicked their ashes in. F this shatola. Had to pour mine out. Boyfriend said I couldn't type on my phone til I finished it. But I swallow, so he gave me my phone back. This beer tastes like someone dumped some hair spray in it. I mean really why would anyone subject themselves to this. This is the worst! No enjoyable which sucks because it looks and smells great and I wanted to get laid.

4.74/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

one of my all time favorites. i tried the 22oz bottle and the 16oz cans and i have a hard time feeling a difference. love this and cant find enough of it.

2.4/5  rDev -42.2%

Unfortunately, I can't even review this beer now and the reasons are listed below.

I've been drinking this for years now. Every time I visit my local establishment which has had Arrogant Bastard since day 1, I get a draft glass of it. It used to be great but has suffered from inconsistencies over the last couple years. I had some today from a keg and it tasted more like an IPA than arrogant bastard. I've had some in the past that tasted more like a Yuengling. I thought maybe it was a keg issue so I grabbed some in a bottle and it tasted different in the bottle also.

I'm starting to think that the bourbon and oaked versions were just batches that didn't turn out right. Unfortunately, Stone has some work to do to get this beer consistent and tasking like it used to.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Aftertaste is bitter and stays with you.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Arrogant Brewing