Arrogant Bastard Ale | Arrogant Brewing

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: American Strong Ale

At Arrogant Bastard Brewing Co., we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny—a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale...even outright attempts to copy it...but only one can ever embody the true nature of Liquid Arrogance!

Added by kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Ratings: 10,683 |  Reviews: 3,089
4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Murky reddish brown with a light chocolate head. Intricate lace dripping down the side of the glass like a Dali painting. Definitively complex smell, hoppy and tangy. Same with the taste; there's nothing subtle about this brew. Significant endurance as the aftertaste reflects back the tanginess on the back of the tongue.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

A few weeks ago, I drove from Atlanta to Chattanooga to obtain some > 6% abv beers - a few trappists, some Stone Brewing Co. beers, and basically whatever else I could find and possible afford. I went up there with a $50 limit to my purchases, and came back with $150 worth of beer. What can I say, I am weak. Nevertheless, the 5 hour trip netted a few choice brews. This is one of them.

So I finally get around to drinking an Arrogant Bastard. I figure, a beer named after what people tend to call me has to be fantastic, right?

AB poured a nice crystal clear amber with a thick creamy head. Bready aromas and hops - almost a piney or cut-grass smell - rose up from my glass. The taste followed suit - very piney and green - methinks I should have aged this bottle for a few months. Big on hops. Big on malt, once you look past the hops. Not too hoppy for my tastes, but this beer was just simply too young.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

22 oz brown bomber bottle, no frehness date. The bottle says to keep refridgerated, but I found this best served only slightly below room temperature.

This ale poured a clear, red-amber color with tall, creamy, tan foam that left lace on the pint glass. The smell was biscuity (bread) with citrus, malt, floral hops aromas. There was a crispness to the smell. The taste was dominated by malt sweetness, but with floral hops, oak, grapefruit, pine, some aromatic tastes, and a bit of caramel thrown in. The mouthfeel was smooth but crisp with a hoppy astringency. The body was medium and so was the carbonation. This is a very drinkable strong ale. Very nice with a good kick!

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Tried this on draught at Barley's Smokehouse. This is just one of those beers that is so unique and difficult to categorize that it is always a pleasure to drink. Pours a deep dark reddish brown with a thin and foamy beige head. Thin lacing. Aroma is alternatingly floral, fruity (citrus mostly), and malty. Medium-bodied and tart, with flavors of citrus, caramel, malt and pine. Complex yet easy to drink, with a nice strong and bitter finish.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Presentation: ~10oz. from draught in a tulip glass at The Blind Tiger’s Stone 12 event. Cost: $5.

Appearance: Hard to distinguish from the Double Bastard and lighter than the oak-aged version. A beer that shows its lovely red-amber color very nicely in the glass. Capped with a medium-thick ½” of foam, which lasted very nearly through the glass.

Smell: An aroma leaning more heavily toward the hoppy end of the spectrum, while still displaying a nice fruity, malty scent.

Taste: The alcohol seemed more prevalent in the AB than the DB, which surprised me. Perhaps it was the thinner body and more dominant hops. Somehow avoided becoming medicinal as some highly-hopped beers sometimes do. Less well-balanced and sharper than the DB, but exhibited a greater degree of spice.

Mouthfeel: Not as creamy as the Double Bastard, it is still a warming, smooth beer that fills the mouth with a nice effervescence that carries the wide range of flavors.

Drinkability: Nicely drinkable. Clean, hoppy, and refreshing; while providing a boatload of flavor and deeper, malty notes.

I hesitate to call this “Double Bastard Lite,” but in a sense, this is what it is. This by no means is intended to be derogatory. The AB sacrifices some body and malt in the interest of providing a lower ABV. A noble goal that! I go back and forth as to which one I prefer and have decided that I probably lean toward the DB, but I wouldn’t turn this down. I do find the hops a bit more oppressive here, but this only results in a more refreshing, cleaner beer. I urge you find out for yourself! This is one of the few highly-hopped beers I truly enjoy, falling closer to the Sierra Nevada Celebration than Rogue’s 60-Minute IPA or Stone’s own Ruination.

Bottom Line: No need to question the parentage of this beer. It clearly is the spawn of Satan himself!

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

I had this wonderful brew in 22oz. form poured into a tulip glass. The color is a super deep ruby red, probably the deepest red hue I've ever seen. This color is just breathtaking. The pour gives a good 1 finger of head, that fades away to a small line very slowly, and leaves a fair amount of lace down the glass as I drink it. The smell wasn't what I expected. It had a sweet fruitiness to it, which was very pleasantly mixed with hop aroma. The taste starts off sweet, with a bite of citrus, grapefruit I'm thinking. The finish is all hops, but not too bitter. This is a beer that is in perfect malt/hop harmony. I really love it. The mouthfeel is a little soft for a strong ale though. The drinkability of this beer is very high, even at 7.2%ABV. I wish I wouldn't have bought the store's last bottle!

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured a beautiful dark amber color with a nice fluffy orangy-beige head. Piney, citrusy hoppy fragrance smells great. Very velvety feel, very smooth on the palate and tasting very bitter with almost an ESB type of bitterness to it that lingers for quite awhile. In fact it doesn't want to let go. Real nice malt but obviously overpowered by bitterness. Name suits it well, arrogantly bitter. Bitter Bitter Bitter!

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

22 oz. bomber. Pours a dark brownish-red with a big, frothy off-white head. Aroma is of lemon-grass and lots of citrus. Hop bitterness and toasted malt. Taste is pretty much the same. Starts out with the citrusy bitterness, and ends with the malts. Very crisp to start, but ends somewhat smooth. Has a great warming effect. This is an oh so complex brew, and should be respected. Definitely a once in a while brew.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Well, I finally got to try my first Stone beer (thanks, Ron), and it was, at the same time, predictable and unpredictable. Predictable in the sense that every overly hyped micro ale I have tried is way too hopped (ie Rogue, Victory). Unpredictable in the sense that it is darker and maltier than I expected. Wonderful, citrus smell entices you (much like the Rogue IPA). Pours beautiful. Dark, mohogany hue, nice head, and impressive lacing. Then you take a sip. Hops. Hops. After a while, the malty notes appear. It is certainly a complex beer, but the bitterness just is too dominant to let any other characteristic (particularly that nice citrus taste that's hiding in there) truly appear. It seems that the only way an American micro-ale can get attention these days is to go nuts with hops. I followed this (and the Rogue IPA) with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and I don't care if people lined up from here to California to swear on the Stone and Rogue, the Sierra is a better beer (IMHO).

(1/2/09) Oh, how foolish we are when we are just learning! The Bastard is one of the best (and most unique) American ales I've had - and I like the Oak even a little better. Funny to read the old reviews before the palate became more refined!

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, tomorrow is last day of classes and I meant to save my baby for then. But, not paying attention, I accidently grabbed this from my fridge when I meant to grab a Koch's and I had opened this before I realized it. Oh well...

My tongue is in spasim. This is my kinda beer. Big, rich, full, dark, and flavor packed--especially in bittering qualities. Notes of grapefruit, lemon, bittersweet spices, etc overwhelm the taste buds. Mellowing carmel malts take some off this bastards bite, but it is still one mean beer. Warming yet fitting for a nice spring day...one bomber is all thats needed to take the stress of four classes off my mind. With that in mind Im gonna cut this review short. While I do love writing reviews its too pretty outside and I have a far too good of a beer not to be outside enjoying both.

one last word--WOW--Gonna give every effort to track down a sample of the double bastard once I go home.

WOW

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%

With every drink there seems to be a virtual carnival on the tongue, and I don’t mean the kind with dirty Carnie meth-heads putting together highly mechanical equipment after a long night of screwing the Penny-toss gal that helped to score him some crank. I’m talking about a little kid walking down the Midway his first time, holding his fathers hand and thinking that if there is a god, he must run a carnival, because this truly IS what life is all about.

This is the first time I have drank this beer and I am in love with it. It is Sexy and Seductive and I am the bumbling virgin who has stumbled into its trap. I think I need a cigarette.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Dark cherry red hue with brownish highlights, there was almost two fingers of beige head. The retention was excellent. As I quaffed this nectar plenty of sticky lace was produced. The nose is a magnificent blend of sweet caramel malts and very assertive hops. The aroma has great potency. The invitation of the bouquet accurately portrays what awaits the palate; plenty of critic/grapefruit notes, pleasantly harsh, bitter. Oh yeah the hops govern or so it seems! The sweet caramel malts are not forgotten. The alcohol stands alone, stark naked, and imposing in its manhood. The forwardness is well conceived and adds tremendous complexity and enjoyment. The lingering acidicness and bitterness begs your senses to take another sip and I gladly did. It is almost full-bodied, ideally firm carbonated. This is a perfectly powerful quaff. I wish I had another or a dozen!

Thank you Morris729 for this awesome beer!

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

Growler from Half Time. Dark amber, small head from growler pour. An insanely bitter, malty beer. Hops of course are the dominant flavor, so tart and bitter, but they also become fruity and bolster the caramel sweetness from the malts. Still if you don't like bitter beers you probably won't enjoy this. I like them generally, and enjoyed this beer, but a growler is perhaps too much of a good thing. Also the hop bitterness aroused my appetite (as hoppy beers are wont to do), but when it came time to eat something my taste buds were completely stripped from the beer. Good velvety mouthfeel, long astringent finish. An interesting, but not exactly useful beer.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours with a nice, thick head. very resilient. Rich, dark amber color...can't wait to taste it!
First I'll smell it.... mmm. Smells pretty good. Spicy. Not as much as I like there, but very pleasant aroma.
There it is. Spicy taste. Hoppy, but not offensively.
Not as thick and cakey as other beers like it (a plus) , so a good mouthfeel, and very drinkable. Wish I had more.
It's too bad I'm not worthy, though.

3.81/5  rDev -8.2%

Great color -- liquid pennies! A reddish copper in color with a piney, caramel, household cleaner kind of aroma to it. In short, you know that this shit will take the paint off the side of your house.

The taste is like a piece of some crazy candy that a lot of kids eat -- extreme! With kids, it might be a sour gumball that starts sweet and then destroys you with overwhelming sourness. In the case of this beer, it starts malty sweet and then just LEVELS you with hop bitterness. Frankly, I don't think the flavor is terribly complex. It's just an intentional exercise in extremism, which is fine -- but almost by definition cannot really be exceptional.

My friend and fiancee, both beer drinkers, couldn't stomach their portion of the 22oz bottle. And they're both pretty tolerant (even loving!) of beers with a lot of flavor. In this case, however, they couldn't drink it. It's a bit extreme to be drinking in significant quantities.

Definitely tasty, definitely good, but I'm not sure that this is something I'd drink often.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Notes: The drinkability suffers due to the high alcohol content and the mouthfeel is a bit harsh...

This beer is perfect! Thanks to Morris729 for the sample. I have no idea why I have waited so long to try this beer, but I have tried it now! This beer poured a beautiful, dark, blood-red colour with a awesome head. This beer had the wonderful aromas of heavy, bready malts, and mouth-puckering, citrus-like, hops! The taste was of heavy hops and heavy malts in perfect harmony. The hops in this beer were extremely citrusy and this beer had an overwhelming and yummy grapefruit flavor. The mouthfeel of this beer was very thick, sharp, crisp, creamy, and full and the drinkability is top-notch, despite the 7.2% abv.
I'm not worthy!
Cheers!
-F

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Dark mahogany with a reddish tint. The medium/full malt body provides an almost creamy texture and light malt sweetness. Terrific aroma of hops, malt, alcohol and yeast (in that order) lasts throughout. Very highly hopped like a citrusy IPA only more alcoholic. Noticeable yeasty taste. This is a powerful, highly aggressive ale. Nice lasting whitish beige head and clinging lace.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured an opaque deep red, had a resplendent hue to it. Nice frothy head that wouldn’t budge, and a very thin lace that fell away. Nose was of cherries that settled into grapes, a faint floral hops scent almost near pine, and some small notes of oak and cedar. All was softly blended together.

Taste was a little complex, or at least hard to make your way through - Stone hops are often a jungle that hides all other flavors. First things first, the hops were lightly salty and a little bready, and then turned grapefruity. A calm, quiet, but solid barleywine malt body came through as the beer opened and my tongue adjusted to the high IBU level.

Had a moderate length finish, with a surprisingly quiet aftertaste for what is, at first taste, an aggressive beer. The mouthfeel was oily, but soon after the swallow the hops went to work coating my mouth with a very soft dryness. Pretty good, would like to see more things than just the hops be present in the taste and mouthfeel.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Oh yeah, this is some good stuff. Good looking brew with that peachy amber look and tan head, too quickly gone. Great lacing and a smell that warns you of the arrogance right away. Hops and malt. Malt and hops. Packs a wallop, that Ol' Bastard. Citrus sense and all that jive talking in the palate, all the way from the front to the back. Why, oh why, is this so hard to find in Ohio?

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

A beautiful beer once poured into a glass, so pretty my girlfriend got jealous of me looking at it. The spicy aroma lept of the top of the glass to my nose and I think my nose actually puckered. The taste is great, a little bitter to consume too much, but the variety of flavors that mix with that definite hop make it an experience to not pass up. A fairly strong beer, which is detectable really in the taste.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

The bastard and I enjoyed a 6 hour ride home together. We then sat down, both tired and a little cranky at 1:30 in the morning after a great long weekend with a total of 12-13 hours of driving. I poured the bastard into a glass, and he punched me in the face with an intense hop aroma. His deep dark amber appearance covered in a pillow of off-white foam was not quite as tough as his bite.

I take a swallow, and the bastard hits me again. This time right below my rib cage in the kidneys. It appears that this bastard is herre to make an impression and give me a beating. A load of hops comes with the blow. I am engulfed in masses of body and flavor. He is up in my face as I unleash a burp, and he then realizes his own strength. I breathe out and have a grassy, spicy taste, almost like chewing on hops. The bastard backs away thinking that I possess the intense hop character that he does. It gives me time to shoot in for another gulp of the delicious nectar. Another blow from the bastard nearly knocks me out of my chair with flavors that are out of this world. On and on the battle goes until I eventually finish this wonderful brew.

I cannot really call it a battle because it was wonderful to drink. However, a beer like the bastard may want to remain unopened and untasted to just stare down those who wish to consume him.

This is simply one of the finest brews I have ever had. It is so intense with flavor and aroma. Very full of body with hops that could make many men cry. I cannot wait to meet with this one again.

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%

Hops...check! Malt....check! Flavor for days....check! This one's got em all. A beer for all occasions. This one pours dark amber with big,thick tan head bursting with citrus hops- grapefruit rind and ripe oranges with a touch of earthy hop resin for good measure. It has a thick, heavy texture that is surprisingly easy to drink. The hop/malt balance is nice, sweet malt with a citrus hop flavor that finishes toasty with a smooth hop bitterness. It doesn't have a very complex malt flavor but more a base to hold complex hop flavor and bitterness.It is a bit heavy but enough fun by itself to quaff a few with snacks. A great beer to have around year round.

4.73/5  rDev +14%

I finally get to try the bastard. I was surprised when I found a case of this. (Bell’s Beverage in South Philly) I was a little worried of this beer because it seemed to be a bit hyped up. (catchy name and packaging) To my surprise this beer wasn’t overrated at all. It’s excellent! It poured out a bright and clear ruby-orange and had a very dense and cream-like head. Nice malty aroma comes through right beside a beautiful citrus and lively hop note.

I found this a very drinkable and tasty ale. Alcohol comes through in the aftertaste, but doesn’t overwhelm. Bitterness is very pleasant and appealing.

Excellent…

…and dangerous – I’m halfway through this beer and I am
feeling it already. Nice! =)

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Ok at long last I get around to reviewing this beer..I have had it before but never in front of the computer..were I tend to do all my reviews.
I bought it in the ubiquitous 22 oz bomber"You're not worthy" we shall see about that!!
well with the look of the brew I am already impressed somewhat..nice dark ruby red colour in the light ..a large tan head forms and disintigrates into a lovelly thick clinging lace.
MMM great aroma here..its really complex though the malts and the hops do go well together in the "bouquet".. i also smell coffee ..chocolate.. very well done.
Takes a big gulp well my goodness this is some mouthful of flavour!..the malt is present..but is overwhelmed by the hops..in between there is a bunch of chocolaty , coffee flavours..with a touch of liquorice here too..yet in the background there are more fruity accents..great stuff indeed.
Fells 100% right to my palate.. cant think of anything wrong with it.

For a 7.2% beer this is exceptionally drinkable..but be careful\

Well i took the challenge..but somehow I doubt that i am worthy!!

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

This is one helluva great brew. Pours a deep orangish/reddish/brown color with a moderately frothy off-white head, which leaves a thin, sticky lace. The aroma is definitely not for the faint of heart. A healthy punch of hops attacks the olfactory senses, leaving them begging for mercy. Slight aromas of fruit and alcohol are also detected. The bold taste of hops will beat down your taste buds and have them screaming “Uncle.” This is one vastly complex brew, I didn’t think that anyone could put that much hops into one beer. Am I worthy? Why, yes I am.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Arrogant Brewing