Arrogant Bastard Ale | Arrogant Brewing

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: American Strong Ale

At Arrogant Bastard Brewing Co., we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny—a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale...even outright attempts to copy it...but only one can ever embody the true nature of Liquid Arrogance!

Added by kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Liked:
4.15/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 10,643 |  Reviews: 3,076
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A thin lace sits upon a deep dark brown body. The aroma of heavy hopping is very inviting and reflects well on the brews name. The first sip brings forth a heavy bitterness and heavier floral spice. The distinguishing characteristic of chocolate malt pushes through the hoppiness and is supported heavily by a smooth thick body. Very complex and powerful.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

WOW, this brew pours a rich copper color with ruby red highlights, with a tan creamy head that reduces to a creamy collar, leaving a sexy lace in it's tracks. The smell of hops, malt and alcohol are tickeling my nose. I can not wait to have my first sip. Fruity esters shine through to the palate leaving the mouth very happy. This is a great strong ale. The hops are very nice mixed with the right amount of maltiness this is a sweet beer. Stone is becoming one of my favorite brews.

Cheers

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Deep red pour, with a big beige head that laces all the way to the end. Aroma fills the room with citrus and hops, much like the IPA and Ruination do, but a little stronger. Light caramel is present initally, followed by a hops onslaught that never seems to let up. Truly a fantastic brew.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

As I sit here pondering this work of art, the bottle calls out "You are not worthy."

Pours a chill hazed deep amber with a thin but persistent tan head. There is a little bit of lace left on the glass. Aroma is a blend of sweet caramel malt, spicy and floral hops. Flavor bursts in the mouth... coming in all directions... I can't even detect what comes first - it's an all out palate assault. Caramel, pine, citrus, pepper, bread dough, and a bitter spicy finish - incredible balance. Has a thick and full body, and a velvety mouthfeel. As I finished this beer, I wish there were more in the bottle... did I leave even a drop behind?

This is a truly outstanding brew... and I find that I'm one of the few... I am worthy.

4.31/5  rDev +3.9%

This is my second taste of a Stone brew and so much better than my first(Ruination IPA).
The tan head disappeared slowly to show the clear copper-red color. The aroma was very odd, a soft chalky pine smell like no other i've had before. A sweet caramel taste sticked to the inside of my mouth and then the hoppy bitterness took over in a big way. Damn i love this brew! A very enjoyable almost oily bitter taste lingers for a long time. I do think i'm worthy of drinking Arrogant Bastard on a regular basis, so PLEASE Stone bring your brews to conn.. Thanks Morris729 for the sample.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

The bottle ain't kidding when it say's "this is an aggressive beer." Lots of flavor found in each sip. The beer pours a coppery color in the glass with a nice tan foam head that dissolves to a sheet of lace on the surface. A nice malty aroma with hints of caramel and orange peel hovers above the beer. Each chewy sip begins malty, then moves to caramel, pine, and what I would describe as orange peel, before finishing off with a bitter hoppy flavor. A sticky slighty bitter taste lingers after each sip.

This is a very good well balanced medium to full bodied beer. I find it to be very filling which leaves little room for another bottle. Definitly a beer not for beginners (i.e. macro beer drinkers!)

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

Wow! After all of my friends hyping this beer up I took the plunge and and I ever glad I did! This has got to be the best smelling beer I have ever had. After I poured it, I let it sit for awhile and warm a bit and took in the aroma that had hints of pine and carmel. The beer bursted with flavor once it hit my mouth and just opened up, dominated by hops but I could taste the malt sneek in there before the great hoppy finnish. I'm glad this is a year 'round brew because it will be a regular in my fridge from now on.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Brown.

Smells like kitty litter and Febreeze. (?!) Wierd. There are some beer-like smells too: caramel, copper pennies, bread etc. But the hops are so oily-strong that it veers into the household cleaner realm. Flavors are similar but with a rewarding finish of hot, buttery caramel. Not sweet. Bitter. Not subtle. An extreme style, I think, as opposed to poorly executed, which keeps it in the top quartile of beers. An impressive display.

4.94/5  rDev +19%

Sticky off-white head about 1/4 inch think. Dark, deep red in color. This was one of the most delicious smelling beers I've ever come across. Very fragrant hop aroma and plenty of other scents to keep the nose busy. Among them were toasted grains and fruit, mango I believe. The bitterness was huge at first, but after the first sip it seems appropriate due to the thick, dark malt flavor. The toastiness of the malt was certainly complimented by the lime-peel hop flavor. I noticed faint smoke somewhere in this complex brew. Somewhere towards the end of the extremely long finish, some retro-nasal coconut and diacetyl were noticed.

This was my first experience with the beer and the brewery. I’m glad to say that it all lived up to the hype. Thanks to TXHops for the beer.

4.73/5  rDev +14%

22 oz bomber bottle. Silkscreen demonic looking bastard on the front. He's been looking at me everytime I open my beer fridge since last May. I have been saving this bastard for a special occasion.

Dark copper to mahogany in color. Rich creamy tan head. Huge hop bubbles bust through. Initial smell was striking. Heavily hopped, but somewhat acidic and very harsh. My first instinct, was that the beer had gone bad. Not so. The smell eased off a bit, and made the beer more inviting.

Taste is a tongue grabbing experience like none other. Super, super, smooth malty goodness. Some toffee, carmel malt sweetness is present. Full rich malty presence, super smooth, and rich. Also some slighltly roasted fruit, plums, figs, earthyness. Reminiscent of a strong belgian ale, but slightly different more subtle flavors. Then the super charged hop kick strikes your taste buds, and doesn't ever let go. Bitterness lingers, and lingers, puckering your cheeks toward the end, but begging you for another drink. Perfectly carbonation, medium to full bodied. The flavors never waver one bit. Despite the strong flavors and mammoth hop burps, this beer had me unconsciously reaching for the glass again and again. It had my elbowing aching from tilting it, and sending rambling beermails to JohnnyP for unknown reasons.
Well worth the wait, and worth seeking out again and again.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Well I finally worked up the nerve to pop the cap off the Bastard. It pours a gorgeous deep mahogany in the glass with a massive, rocky, light tan head leaving a whole lotta lace. The aroma whacks you in the nose with brown sugary malt, fruity esters (some pineapple) and citrusy hops. In the taste, Malt and Hops are nicely balanced, though the ostentatious bitterness is a bit overwhelming at first. It's best to let this brew flex its muscles (i.e. breathe) for a few minutes. Huge caramel and fruit show up in the taste (like caramel coated apples) with plenty of citric hoppy bitterness to keep the brew from being cloyingly sweet. It loses points in drinkability just for being such a hugely rich and heavy brew. I'm full and content, no need for another.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

An exceptional dark amber ale fully of character and a striking amount of hops. "This is an aggressive" beer says the label, and I'll vouch that it doesn't lie. I had this beer on tap several weeks back and really enjoyed it but found that it was surprinsingly close to Mac & Jacks African Amber Ale. Being able to sit back and relax with a bottle in hand and the time and place to actually take some better notes to review it, I'm guessing my notes were wrong, or I was poured the wrong beer. (As such, I've resubmitted my review for this beer).

From the bottle, Arrogant Bastard doesn't look, smell or taste like Mac & Jacks, it's far superior. AB pours a deep reddish hue with a big white rocky head. Glass lacing is extensive.

Aroma wise, this one carries a very enjoyable hoppy kick, hints of fruit, and complex malts. It doesn't carry the pine hit that the Ruination IPA offers, which helps to make this a much more rounded ale which can be savored in more than one serving per sitting.

On the palette, the hops and malts are creatively balanced, providing hints of fruit, toasted malts and a slight peppery smokiness to it. Despite its edgy hoppiness, the malt factor kicks in to really make this an exceptionally well rounded ale that can be enjoyed again and again.

Great balance worth a closer look for those who have yet to venture into the grip of the Arrogant Bastard.

(ADDENDUM: 12/27/02 I had the opportunity to visit a place called Fogg & Suds on the outskirts of Vancouver, BC the other day, and to my astonishment this place is "trying" to fetch $30.00cdn for a bottle of this stuff. Buyer beware. Arrogant Bastard is great stuff, but it should be obtainable for less than 1/3 the price being asked for here.) <sigh>

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a dark, clear copper color with a nice tan-hued head. Leaves giant trails of lace down the glass. Smell is very inviting with big notes of fresh hops, caramel malt, etc. This is an incredibly tasty brew. Hops hit you at first, followed by a more than sufficient caramel malt backbone that supports the bitterness nicely. Mouthfeel is quite smooth and for a brew of its magnitude (7.2%), AB drinks quite easily. I'm glad I finally got to try this one. Arrogance is bliss.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

This is an amazingly balanced brew. Pours a nice reddish amber with a big head that lasts a long time. Complex flavor that never seems to be overbearing - the malt and hops balance out nicely in what seems to be a fight for dominance. I found myself drinking this slowly and savoring each sip, revelling in the complexities. Very tasty brew. Even inspired me to write a blues tune called Arrogant Bastard :) Available at

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This bastard pours a nice copper red with a foamy tan head that's not going away. The head last for the whole time it takes to drink it. The aroma is of floral hops with undertones of sweet malt and citrus. The taste starts with a hop bite that flows into a rich sweet malt. The finish is hop bitterness with hints of pear and alcohol. The aftertaste lingers for quite awhile with a nice balance of carmel malts, floral hop bitterness and touches of alcohol warmth. The mouthfeel is smooth and enjoyable. This is a great ale. It may be a bit bitter for some but it isn't out of balance. At 7.2% abv it will get your attention and warm your cockles.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

I hate to deal in superlatives. Sometimes the best beer you ever had is the one sitting in front of you right now. Still and all Arrogant Bastard induces just such "irrational exuberance". The hops would be over the top if it weren't for all the supporting complexity. This beer is a workout for the tongue because every taste bud gets to participate. There is a very faint malty sweetness in the background. And a bit of effervesence. Also some interesting herbal and vegetal notes. The alcohol is clearly distinguishable (though not distracting). And by the way, did I mention the hops.

I'm drinking this on draught and intend to find out if the bottled version passes muster.

It's even a pretty beer. Dark copper color. Moderate head and a nice cascading, layered lace as it goes down in the glass. And it does go down. Much too quickly. Almost perfect. But as I said, I shy away from superlatives.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

What a wonderful appearance this beer has. The color is reddish-brown, with a thick tan head, and beautiful lacing. The promised "arrogance" is disguised a bit by a deceptively woodsy-sweet nose, and a luscious, creamy texture. The nose also suggests an aroma of apple. The flavor is assertive and hoppy, with a forceful, lingering bitterness in the finish. For the style, the hops could be toned down somewhat for my tastes. But, in keeping with the warning on the label, perhaps I'm just not yet "worthy."

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

This beer almost brought a tear to my eye the first time I tried it. It's that good. The intense hops and malt in AB are just beautifully balanced and complex. The hop bite in the flavor is remarkable. The head is enormous, and the aftertaste is amazing. This just might knock Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout out of the coveted "Best Beer I've Tried So Far" designation. The only question is where do I go from here? Be careful when you're drinking beer that's this good.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

It poured into the glass a dark red/brown color. The head was a thick and creamy. The lace seemed sticky and clinged to the sides of the glass to the end. The aroma was strong, dominated by hops and toasted grains with a hint of toffee and/or caramel. The flavor was actually very complex it combined a sweet malt, hoppy bitterness with notes of citrus which did not show up on the nose. This was a very good beer to the end.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

I was comletely shocked by the amount of malt flavors this beer produced! This beautiful red-amber beer was served with a nice head that failed to ever fully subside. It left a nice lace on the glass as well. The aroma was very potent, with hops florals, citrus, and pine notes. The first taste startled me not because of the hops, but because of the excellent balance of maltiness and bitterness. Strong caramel notes were followed by an intense hop presence that left a lingering mitterness on the aftertaste. Every taste followed the same malt - citrus - bitterness trend, from beginning to end of the glass. The mouthfeel was very full, but yet somewhat refreshing with the heavy hop finish. The drinkability was good, as I did not realize the moderate ABV of this beer while drinking. This was a better beer than I had anticipated, and I plan to buy some arrogance again very soon.

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%

This is definately a hop head beer. Very hoppy with a bitter finish. Rather ropugh on the pallate too. I love their logo though. Just not a very clean finish either. Drinkable but definately not on my list of favorites. The aroma is deceptive. Perhaps that is the real problem with this beer. You get the aroma of Hops and are probably expecting more than you get from the taste. Also tastes a lot like it was allowed enough fermentation time. PErhaps if they bottle fermented this beer it would smooth out and be excellent then.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Arrogant Bastard Ale
Head :Thick Full almost to thick.
Body :Deep dark almost merki.
Taste :This is one big beer.Full of malt and slight hopps strong
flavor.allot of taste almost confusing.

I'm just sorry I can't get it here!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I love this beer, cascade citrus aroma, pours ruby-brown color,roasted huge malty flavor with a balanced huge hop profile.This is a big ale with a great flavor, I love it, I could drink it daily.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I did not want to like this beer. Everyone raved about it and I thought "so what?" I picked up a bottle, and read the label, "you're not worthy." "And you are?", I thought. It poured dark amber with a nice head. The first sip was exhillerating. I was not quite prepared for this. Mega hops and a BOLD taste. I thought, "this will soon subside." It didn't. The last drink tasted just like the first. I killed the bottle an about an hour and a half. A 22oz usually lasts me 30 minutes if it is my first. Not this time. I enjoyed and savored every gulp. When I finished, I could drink no more. I had only bought one bottle and all my other beers were, "not worthy".

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Hoppity hop hop.

Arrogant Bastard pours an amber-red, a nice warm tone to accompany the fiery domination of the hoppy smell. It is a strong, pine smell...Chinook hops perhaps?

The smell was a definate precursor to the taste, this is hop heaven. The malt is a fairly passive backdrop, consisting of a mild caramel note. There is also a particular nuance of alcohol. Otherwise, this is hop-feast galore. This is not a meager ale. No compromises and no apologies. It is flavorful, bold, and well, arrogant.

Hop heads, embrace! A fearless leader has arrived.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Arrogant Brewing