Kona Moon Porter | Six Rivers Brewery

Style: American Porter

Added by rastaman on 03-29-2006

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.47/5  rDev +38.8%

It came across by the pour as just another coffee porter but the instant it hit my glass I was punched in the snot locker by its coffee aroma. Every taste was even better than the first. If you are in to coffee porters you will LOVE this one. Trust me, Im a professional.

3.83/5  rDev +18.9%

bomber in a surprise box from my good buddy james...man did this really make my week after a long and tough 7 days....into a tulip

a-deep mahogany almost black..excellent ruby hightlights up against the light....nice frothy off white cap

s-roasty and acidic coffee up front...some sweet malt in the middle...no hop bitterness in the nose

t-much like the smell starts off roasty then some acidic coffee rushes in....the hops are there to off put the acidity and sweetness....finishes bitter from the coffee i imaigine..

m-a tad thin but acceptable for the style...the coffee makes it dry...the carbonation is spot on...alive and prickly

o-an excellent coffee porter which i would not mind having more of....this came as a surprise along with the other bottles...huge thanks goes out to james for this wonderful surprise of beers

3.88/5  rDev +20.5%

Appearance: Dark brown body

Head: Big light brown head

Smell: Black coffee bean

Taste: Coffee right up front with a dark maltyness and a little bitter hop in the back

Weight: Light body with a low to medium carbonation

Finish: Burnt roosted malts with coffee

3.06/5  rDev -5%

A-Coffee brown with 1 inch of light khaki head that reduces quickly. Leaves very light, soapy lace.

S-Light, acidic coffee aroma, caramel malts.

T/M-Way too thin for the style. The coffee flavor is there, but it doesn't have the porter body and malt character to back it up. The finish reveals some light bittering hops, which bring out the coffee a bit, but it's too little too late. Light to medium bodied with low carbonation.

D-Forgettable.

2.85/5  rDev -11.5%

Served on tap in a shaker pint.

A: Beer is an extremely dark ruby-brown color that was served with a thin light brown head that disappeared after about a quarter of my beer was drank. No lacing was left as I drank.
S: As soon as I was served this beer I could pick up light notes of coffee and sugary sweetness, but overall there isn't much to the scent.
T: For the most part this tastes like watery cheap coffee. Very one dimensional. There are some sweet notes of caramel and toffee, but it's hard to shake the light yet dominant powdered coffee flavor. Aftertaste is a bit greasy.
M: Medium body with a fair amount of chewiness. Mouth is rather oily feeling but there is no trace of bitterness or acidity.
D: Put this in a blender with some ice and creamer and you could make a mean iced-coffee. It's not horrible but it's just very plain. It goes down easy enough though, much like cold, weak, watery coffee.

3.62/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

GABF sample bottle. Black colored stout with a large light tan head. Very nice aroma, which gives hints of espresso beans, cream, dark roast and dark chocolate. Flavor is boldly dominated by coffee and espresso and it's suave and fairly complex, with a nice base of malt. Nice finish and overall, quite tasty.

3.07/5  rDev -4.7%

While I feel that this beer doesn't belong on anyone's want list I do feel that it deserves a better rating than it has. I didn't get a chance to ask anyone about there brews because we were here at a very busy time of the evening. My thought is that maybe they have changed the recipe a bit.
Anyhow, it pours a dark brown/almost black. Instantly smells of coffee but if the brew warms a little it gives more malt aromas.
Taste is kinda considering other coffee porters I have had. There isn't enough malty biscuty choclate flavor to offset the kona.
Somehow it has a decent mouthfeel that makes it a drinkable beer. Overall I would some it up as average to below average.
Had on tap @ Six Rivers 5/25/08

2.41/5  rDev -25.2%

The problem with this beer exemplifies the problem with the establishment, only one flavor is present. I might as well have been drinking a Kona Coffee because the beer was not existent. I've had good coffee beers and chocolate beers where you can taste the flavoring, but you still get a good stout or porter going on alongside it. This beer was just sharp and harsh with an unpleasant earthiness to it that did not leave me wanting more.

To be fair, I tried it in a sampler and normally I wouldn't want to judge from a sampler, but the sample was huge. It was probably half a bottle. If I had a full bottle of it, I would have only drunk half of it anyway, so I feel ok saying how I feel.

1.81/5  rDev -43.8%

[email protected] Rivers, May 04'. Moonstone Porter, with Kona coffee added. Taste is really odd, coffee grind is obvious, funny green, weedy sort of flavours pops up now and then, pretty strange. Not one of the better coffee beers i've had, quite a strange one.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last