Chili Pepper Ale | Six Rivers Brewery

Six Rivers Brewery
sixriversbrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

"Chile Pepper Ale - Alcohol content 6.0%
HOT! Spicy ale made with assorted chilies blended with our wheat ale."

Added by rkuhnel on 09-28-2007

Reviews: 33 | Ratings: 67
Reviews by MrVonzipper:

Clear pale gold color with a 1-2cm bubbly white head with good retention and lacing.

Smell is all chili. Roasted chilis. Slightly soapy/cleanser smell in there? But most of all it really does smell like spicy nacho cheese.

Flavor is all chili as well. Maybe a touch of wheat in there but the heat dominates the palate. Although the spicy chili dominates the flavor, there is a good variation of different chili flavor notes.

Mouthfeel is Light bodied with medium carbonation. Nice palate tingling spiciness that lingers but isn't too overpowering.

Overall this is a good beer for what it is. There are excellent variations of chilis with a good spiciness. It could use a little malt body and touch of sweetness but I think it's just meant to be about the chilis. I recommend this is you like chilis and spice.

2.75/5  rDev -14.3%

3.77/5  rDev +17.4%

Bottle shared by Mark – much obliged!

Pours a golden color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of garden vegetables – green peppers if I had to choose – and large amounts of spicier chili peppers. Very slight pale malt aromas back it all up.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Slight pale malt flavors that are barely discernable kick things off and are joined almost immediately by huge amounts of green pepper flavors. Midway through the sip the spicier peppers begin to do their work, quickly firing things up. The spiciness carries through to an ending that can only be described as hot. The spiciness continues through the sip, finally subsiding five minutes later.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is not so great. It admittedly comes with the territory but there’s no way I could drink even 12 oz. of this by myself.

Overall I’m surprised by the low scores of this beer – what else would one expect from a chili beer? A nice beer for the style and also one of the spicier ones I’ve had.

4.25/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Killer hot peppers taste without being a particular pepper or being over intense, just a nice warm to hot peppers taste. I'd love dumping a bottle of this in the kettle when making a chili or stew and let it cook in.

2.87/5  rDev -10.6%

Second time having this beer. First Chili beer I've ever had so have no real comparison.

Appearance: pours a hazy gold with light to medium head.

Smell: the aroma of the chilies is overwhelming. it smell almost makes my noise burn. Smells like what I'd perceive it to smell like.

Taste: WOW! The aroma does not disappoint in the taste. Chilies, that's all I can say.

Mouthfeel: my pallet is burnt, but it does feel like chilies have invaded my taste buds. very thin consistency, but the chili spice is too overwhelming

Overall: If you are looking for a Spicy, Hot Chili beer that burns your mouth than this is it! Very fun beer to use as a novelty, but I could not enjoy more than a few sips. I think this beer would be a lot better if it was blended down with more of it's base wheat ale.

3.66/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: Cloudy orange haze

Head: Fluffy cream head that dissipates quickly

Smell: Super earthy, grass and a very large chili pepper on the nose

Taste: Super spice all over and hot chili pepper

Weight: Medium to light body and low carbonation

Finish: Spices, spice and more spice

Over all this is almost like drinking liquid hot sauce

P.S. I don’t like hot foods with my beer because it tarnishes my palate, but what happens if my beer tarnishes my palate, if you would to ask me for another Six Rivers Chili Pepper Ale I would say no thank you.

3.83/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured a finger of head on a hazy, medium straw colored body. Low retention on the head.
The aroma is first a little grain and then a lot of habanero/jalapeno pepper.
The taste is HOT pepper all over the place. Drinking this 22 oz bottle will be challenging.
Crisp texture, moderate carbonation and medium body.
No doubt it's a chili pepper beer; as advertised. It is warm.

Edit: I couldn't finish the bomber. The heat was too much.

2.25/5  rDev -29.9%

1.87/5  rDev -41.7%

Pours a medium honey orange with no head. Light and clear but looks like orange water.

Nose is very light with almost no character at all. There is a hint of esters and some very light orange fruit. Hint of toasted butterscotch.

Mouthfeel is thin and give the initial impression of a sour - until the flavors hit you.

Wow; pretty much undrinkable for me. Flavors are an initial hit of citric fruity orange that quickly fades to pure pepper heat - no character, no appeal, just hot! Much too hot to enjoy as a drink and the heat wipes out any other character.

Finish is all just hot black pepper that fills your mouth and throat.

Not my style or preference. Will kill any other beer and most foods. Don't even try to taste other styles after this one; it is a "real" palate wrecker. If you just want a hot spicy drink, for some reason, this is for you. But, this one is a one dimensional novelty that has been handled with much to much of a heavy spicy pepper hand. Just my opinion. (The heat and burn in my mouth and throat has not diminished in over ten minutes!)

2.5/5  rDev -22.1%

3.54/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.63/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +23.7%

I picked this up at Monument Wines and Spirits the other day.

Appearance- yellow color, thin head that dissipates quickly

Smell- peppers, wheat, very nice smell, I love peppers

Taste- peppers, very nice and refreshing, very good flavor(at least to me)

Mouthfeel- light to medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought this was very good. It has a great pepper smell and flavor to it. I would love to have this again.

3.13/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Look: Pours a nice golden yellow with traces of orange throughout. 1/4 inch head with little retention

Smell: The first thing that came to my mind was spicy nacho cheese sauce kind of reminded me of being at a baseball game

Taste: There is not a whole lot going on here or maybe it is that the peppers just overpower the rest of the beer. But this is a chile beer and exactly what I was looking for and expected

Mouthfeel: Low to Medium body with medium carbonation and a very nice hot burn on the roof of your mouth. At first it isnt all that hot but if you drink it fast the beer actually gets hotter on the palate

Overall: I actually think this is a good chile beer. Not a lot of balance going on so that kind of kills the score but over all not a bad little beer

3.97/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This one poured a hazy golden color with streaming bubbles and a white rocky head that just drops into nothing.

The smell was very peppery and spicy but had an odd off note almost like spicy butter.

The taste was great! It tasted like a wit beer on the front of the tongue and then BAM!! The pepper punch rolls across the tongue and burns as it goes down.

The mouth feel is light and watery and this beer does burn with chili infused heat.

Overall this was a very good beer and a whole lot of fun. I would caution those that do not like spicy foods because this is a very spicy beer. Kind of reminds me of my red beers I make without the tomato influence. I will be buying more bombers of this!

4.25/5  rDev +32.4%

2.87/5  rDev -10.6%

Doesn't look like much, hazy orange gold color with barely a little white head.

Smells strongly of chili pepper. Fruity chilli with some of the sour scent you get from jalapenos. Some smoke from the roasting. Beyond that nothing else.

Starts out slightly sweet with a big pepper flavor. Medium level of heat. Pretty quickly this becomes nothing but pepper.

Mouthfeel is light.

Overall this isn't much, it is just hot. Not something I would buy again, there are hotter and more flavorful Chilie beers out there. This is closer to the bottom of the pack than the middle.

3.25/5  rDev +1.2%