Chili Pepper Ale | Six Rivers Brewery

Six Rivers Brewery
sixriversbrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

"Chile Pepper Ale - Alcohol content 6.0%
HOT! Spicy ale made with assorted chilies blended with our wheat ale."

Added by rkuhnel on 09-28-2007

4.8/5  rDev +50%

Man up or go home. This is exactly as advertised. Looks like a nice guy semi cloudy wheat, smells like a pleasant Chili Pepper before you bite it. Taste, be ready, it's not a fake beer. Love it. Not a daily drinker like Rogue chipotle ale. It is honest, real, spicy fun. Enjoy once every month or so.

4.5/5  rDev +40.6%

What a surprise this was. When the waitress set down our samples, we started going around the tray trying each one. I had forgotten that they had a chili beer, then the first sip WHAT!? This was the first chili beer ive ever had, but damn I want more of this one.

Look: slight yellow, brownish, little head

Smell: habenero, green chilies, wheat with spice, almost like smelling someone cook very spicy tacos

Taste peppers or all sorts, a whole garden full, spicy very spicy, low hop taste

Drink would be great with a contrasting dinner, something not spicy honestly. But I could only imagine what this would taste like if it came back up.

This was very very good, I love spice so I would love this beer. I understand not everyone loves the burn of peppers when drinking a beverage, but I am one of those people I guess. It is different, very different, but this is one that deserves a try. I have friends who think they are big bad manly men and they drink keystone LIGHT like it shows how manly they are. They would cry there little eyes drinking this beer, now this right here, Is a real mans beer.

4.25/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Killer hot peppers taste without being a particular pepper or being over intense, just a nice warm to hot peppers taste. I'd love dumping a bottle of this in the kettle when making a chili or stew and let it cook in.

4.2/5  rDev +31.3%

4.11/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes, drank on 9/17/12.

Cloudy yellow, slightly orangey brownish tinge, smells like spicy olive juice. Taste is VERY peppery! spicy hot! Not an understatement, cant believe how hot this stuff is. Starts in the beginning of the mouth and works your way to the back of the throat. good for a hot beer but nothing you'd drink on a regular basis, makes a GREAT chili base!!

Clear pale gold color with a 1-2cm bubbly white head with good retention and lacing.

Smell is all chili. Roasted chilis. Slightly soapy/cleanser smell in there? But most of all it really does smell like spicy nacho cheese.

Flavor is all chili as well. Maybe a touch of wheat in there but the heat dominates the palate. Although the spicy chili dominates the flavor, there is a good variation of different chili flavor notes.

Mouthfeel is Light bodied with medium carbonation. Nice palate tingling spiciness that lingers but isn't too overpowering.

Overall this is a good beer for what it is. There are excellent variations of chilis with a good spiciness. It could use a little malt body and touch of sweetness but I think it's just meant to be about the chilis. I recommend this is you like chilis and spice.

Look: Pours a nice golden yellow with traces of orange throughout. 1/4 inch head with little retention

Smell: The first thing that came to my mind was spicy nacho cheese sauce kind of reminded me of being at a baseball game

Taste: There is not a whole lot going on here or maybe it is that the peppers just overpower the rest of the beer. But this is a chile beer and exactly what I was looking for and expected

Mouthfeel: Low to Medium body with medium carbonation and a very nice hot burn on the roof of your mouth. At first it isnt all that hot but if you drink it fast the beer actually gets hotter on the palate

Overall: I actually think this is a good chile beer. Not a lot of balance going on so that kind of kills the score but over all not a bad little beer

3.97/5  rDev +24.1%

I picked this up at Monument Wines and Spirits the other day.

Appearance- yellow color, thin head that dissipates quickly

Smell- peppers, wheat, very nice smell, I love peppers

Taste- peppers, very nice and refreshing, very good flavor(at least to me)

Mouthfeel- light to medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought this was very good. It has a great pepper smell and flavor to it. I would love to have this again.

3.97/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This one poured a hazy golden color with streaming bubbles and a white rocky head that just drops into nothing.

The smell was very peppery and spicy but had an odd off note almost like spicy butter.

The taste was great! It tasted like a wit beer on the front of the tongue and then BAM!! The pepper punch rolls across the tongue and burns as it goes down.

The mouth feel is light and watery and this beer does burn with chili infused heat.

Overall this was a very good beer and a whole lot of fun. I would caution those that do not like spicy foods because this is a very spicy beer. Kind of reminds me of my red beers I make without the tomato influence. I will be buying more bombers of this!

3.97/5  rDev +24.1%

Big thanks to Ben for sharing this one.

A cloudy, dirty yellow look with a thin head on top. A bit of lacing.

Smells of smokey roasted chili peppers. Some green pepper in there also.

The taste is much like the smell, but more intense. Fresh roasted ancho peppers, plenty of spicy pepper and some fresh green and chili pepper as well.

Very dry and spicy. Most of the heat comes in the back of the throat, but there is some on the palate as well.

This is definitely not for everyone, but it is for me. I like chili beers and this one delivers. Very well done for the style. I will be revisiting this one.

3.96/5  rDev +23.8%

3.85/5  rDev +20.3%

Yes. This beer tastes like chilis. And it's hot. This should come as no surprise since there's a big red chili on the bottle along with the words ''spicy'' and ''HOT!" This pairing is excellent, chilis are not just heat, they have fruit flavors as well The fruitiness of the chilis is a natural match for the floral wheat ale. The The heat is a welcome note, most fruit beers are cloying crap for people who don't actually like beer. This isn't. The first drink is a surprise, and not necessarily a pleasant one. But wait a moment, let the endorphins hit, and then form an opinion. Nice work 6 Rivers.

3.83/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured a finger of head on a hazy, medium straw colored body. Low retention on the head.
The aroma is first a little grain and then a lot of habanero/jalapeno pepper.
The taste is HOT pepper all over the place. Drinking this 22 oz bottle will be challenging.
Crisp texture, moderate carbonation and medium body.
No doubt it's a chili pepper beer; as advertised. It is warm.

Edit: I couldn't finish the bomber. The heat was too much.

3.77/5  rDev +17.8%

Bottle shared by Mark – much obliged!

Pours a golden color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of garden vegetables – green peppers if I had to choose – and large amounts of spicier chili peppers. Very slight pale malt aromas back it all up.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Slight pale malt flavors that are barely discernable kick things off and are joined almost immediately by huge amounts of green pepper flavors. Midway through the sip the spicier peppers begin to do their work, quickly firing things up. The spiciness carries through to an ending that can only be described as hot. The spiciness continues through the sip, finally subsiding five minutes later.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is not so great. It admittedly comes with the territory but there’s no way I could drink even 12 oz. of this by myself.

Overall I’m surprised by the low scores of this beer – what else would one expect from a chili beer? A nice beer for the style and also one of the spicier ones I’ve had.

3.66/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: Cloudy orange haze

Head: Fluffy cream head that dissipates quickly

Smell: Super earthy, grass and a very large chili pepper on the nose

Taste: Super spice all over and hot chili pepper

Weight: Medium to light body and low carbonation

Finish: Spices, spice and more spice

Over all this is almost like drinking liquid hot sauce

P.S. I don’t like hot foods with my beer because it tarnishes my palate, but what happens if my beer tarnishes my palate, if you would to ask me for another Six Rivers Chili Pepper Ale I would say no thank you.

3.66/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Chili Pepper Ale from Six Rivers Brewery