Chili Pepper Ale | Six Rivers Brewery

Six Rivers Brewery
sixriversbrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

"Chile Pepper Ale - Alcohol content 6.0%
HOT! Spicy ale made with assorted chilies blended with our wheat ale."

Added by rkuhnel on 09-28-2007

Liked:
3.2/5
Alströms:

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast

3.23/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle.

A: Pale, light head, very clear.

S: Smells like habanero. Very strong pepper flavor. Dangerous.

T: REALLY spicy. Like maybe too much so. This is overwhelmingly full of capsaicin. Can't even taste anything else, save maybe a slight citric acidity.

O: It's just too much. Not bad, but NOT recommended.

4.25/5  rDev +32.8%

3.36/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

murky straw color; no head to speak of. a pool of micro bubbles is floating on the surface- a hallmark of a crummy beer. or a novelty...
very nice chile aroma. i'm not much impressed with novelty beers most of the time but ioccasionally come to appreciate them.
taste is okay. a little bit of heat. a little bit of organic taste and a some chili flavor.
mouthfeel is thin.
i have really enjoyed a chili beer after a session of trying 'serious' beers. i dont know if it's because this one uses wheat in it, but i much more prefer the Cave Creek version over this one. this leaves a 'chemical-ly' aftertaste in my mouth. maybe because i'm making this my first (and probably only) beer of the evening it seems a little off compared to the Cave Creek version.
the heat hasnt been intolerable for me, but maybe that's because there is no regulating a pepper. some are hot and some are not. i guess i just got a 'cool' one.

3.75/5  rDev +17.2%

3.46/5  rDev +8.1%

Thanks to drewone for sharing this one at Wowcoolman's tasting.

Pours a murky orange with a foamy khaki head that fades to nothing. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of malt and chile pepper aromas. Taste is much the same with a slightly sour chile flavor on the finish. There is a medium amount of chile heat in the back of the throat after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a pretty nice chile flavor.

3.75/5  rDev +17.2%

3.83/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured a finger of head on a hazy, medium straw colored body. Low retention on the head.
The aroma is first a little grain and then a lot of habanero/jalapeno pepper.
The taste is HOT pepper all over the place. Drinking this 22 oz bottle will be challenging.
Crisp texture, moderate carbonation and medium body.
No doubt it's a chili pepper beer; as advertised. It is warm.

Edit: I couldn't finish the bomber. The heat was too much.

4.25/5  rDev +32.8%

3.25/5  rDev +1.6%

1.87/5  rDev -41.6%

Pours a medium honey orange with no head. Light and clear but looks like orange water.

Nose is very light with almost no character at all. There is a hint of esters and some very light orange fruit. Hint of toasted butterscotch.

Mouthfeel is thin and give the initial impression of a sour - until the flavors hit you.

Wow; pretty much undrinkable for me. Flavors are an initial hit of citric fruity orange that quickly fades to pure pepper heat - no character, no appeal, just hot! Much too hot to enjoy as a drink and the heat wipes out any other character.

Finish is all just hot black pepper that fills your mouth and throat.

Not my style or preference. Will kill any other beer and most foods. Don't even try to taste other styles after this one; it is a "real" palate wrecker. If you just want a hot spicy drink, for some reason, this is for you. But, this one is a one dimensional novelty that has been handled with much to much of a heavy spicy pepper hand. Just my opinion. (The heat and burn in my mouth and throat has not diminished in over ten minutes!)

2.74/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-pours a hazy straw yellow with a thin white head that disapates.

S- roasted jalapeños, bread, wheat, and chipotle chili.

T- wheat, the spice is only really present gong down, jalapeño pepper flavors, and bread.

M- watery with little carbonation and a dry finish. Spiciness lingers at the back of the throat.

O- I didn't like this beer. It had a muddy wheat flavor followed by a bile-like burning spiciness that coated the back of the throat. Overall I won't be partaking in this beer again.

3.61/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Amber. Pours 1/2 finger of white head that fades quickly, moderate lacing.

Smell: chili pepper, citrus, slightly estery, floral.

Taste: chili, wheat malt, citrus, bready.

Mouthfeel: light-medium bodied, moderate carbonation, spicy.

Overall: A good chili beer. Lots of heat, but the underlying nuances peak thru. Drinkability is good (if you like chili beers).

2.59/5  rDev -19.1%

I'm not sure you cold tell this was beer, if you took a sip with eyes closed. After a couple of sips, my mouth is so on fire that it just gets worse. A beer that needs a beer chaser. The one redeeming feature is the peppery aroma. The peppers themselves seem like they are just hot. Slight fruity flavor in the midst of the burning sensation. The only use I can see for this is a tiny glass served like salsa with an otherwise bland meal. Utterly undrinkable in the normal sense of the word.

Brewery claims it won silver at 2004 GABF, possibly in the juvenile beer joke catagory. Give your buddy a gulp of this stuff right after you spring the Whoopee Cushion on him. I have to compare this to Ghost Face Killah, for its total commitment to bottled silliness.

3.97/5  rDev +24.1%

Big thanks to Ben for sharing this one.

A cloudy, dirty yellow look with a thin head on top. A bit of lacing.

Smells of smokey roasted chili peppers. Some green pepper in there also.

The taste is much like the smell, but more intense. Fresh roasted ancho peppers, plenty of spicy pepper and some fresh green and chili pepper as well.

Very dry and spicy. Most of the heat comes in the back of the throat, but there is some on the palate as well.

This is definitely not for everyone, but it is for me. I like chili beers and this one delivers. Very well done for the style. I will be revisiting this one.

3.28/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear, pale yellow color with loads of carbonation that rise to the top and cling to the sides of the glass. Only a thin film sits on top leaving no lacing.

S: The aroma is solely strong spicy chili peppers with a wheat backbone. Basically exactly what you'd want in a chile beer.

T: The taste is significantly lacking from the aroma. The spicy peppers are there but don't make their presence known until the finish. Up to that point, it is just a typical wheat ale with a touch of heat.

M: Light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. It has a really spicy kick on the end that lingers.

O: This isn't bad for a chile beer. The aroma is very good in my opinion, but the other aspects are certainly lacking. It does pair well with my turkey and jalapeno sandwich though.

2.41/5  rDev -24.7%

I have been searching for a good chili pepper beer for awhile now. I hadn't seen this one before so I was excited to try it

Served into a tulip glass.

A: Pours really clean and clear-ish, not very inviting actually. Hardly no head at all.

S: Overwhelming smell of bell peppers! Didn't even smell like chili peppers...very strange.

T: Overwhelming taste of hot peppers...and that's it. From the beginning and past the end of the sip I taste hot peppers. The taste stays on your tongue and lips even after you've done drinking. I just wish there was more taste to the beer along with the pepper taste.

M: Very watery in my honest opinion.

Overall I had high hopes for this beer and was let down. I actually didn't even get through a quarter of the bomber I bought. If this pepper taste could maybe be infused with a stout or porter style that had more depth in the beer I could really see it working out better. Well, my search goes on!

2.87/5  rDev -10.3%

Second time having this beer. First Chili beer I've ever had so have no real comparison.

Appearance: pours a hazy gold with light to medium head.

Smell: the aroma of the chilies is overwhelming. it smell almost makes my noise burn. Smells like what I'd perceive it to smell like.

Taste: WOW! The aroma does not disappoint in the taste. Chilies, that's all I can say.

Mouthfeel: my pallet is burnt, but it does feel like chilies have invaded my taste buds. very thin consistency, but the chili spice is too overwhelming

Overall: If you are looking for a Spicy, Hot Chili beer that burns your mouth than this is it! Very fun beer to use as a novelty, but I could not enjoy more than a few sips. I think this beer would be a lot better if it was blended down with more of it's base wheat ale.

2.31/5  rDev -27.8%

A: Cloudy orange haze minal head

S: WOW.. my nose is on fire! I love spicy stuff and definatly red pepper overwhelming.

T: and the taste follows the scent. CHILI PEPPER! WOW spicy hot and not tasting much else!

M: Medium to light body and low carbonation

O: WOW... HOT SAUCE IN A BEER! I love hot stuff and I love beer but I DO NOT love this. Not my type of beer. Beer is usually refreshing and something I love to drink after I eat spicy food... no relief here.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast