Bohemian | Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada
Ontario, Canada
molson.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Bohemian lager has been refreshing drinkers for over 75 years with its smooth and easy drinking taste.

Added by pootz on 10-11-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.75/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

341ml bottle poured in a pint glass. The label has a slogan that says, "A Saskatchewan Tradition." Someone left this at our place after we had a party celebrating Saskatchewan's Centennial.

Yellow to pale gold in colour and clear. White 1/2 inch head at the pour, but quickly recedes to a thin cap.

Smells pretty much like your standard macro lager. Grainy and a bit sour with no evidence of malt or hops.

Everything about the taste is just plain macro. Grainy and a bit of a sour/formaldehyde finish. A bit of a metallic presence in the aftertaste.

Thin, watery and overly carbonated. Mouthfeel is harsh and acidic.

While this isn't the worst macro I've had, it certainly isn't close to the best. Not smooth, not very drinkable, and what little flavour it has isn't very appealing. Actually gets worse as you go through the glass. Drain pour.

2.05/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Had this one with my in-laws at New Year's.

2.26/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.4/5  rDev -14.9%

It's the end of the term, and that means it's time to clean - specifically, to clean the fridge of the various random beer bottles that have mysteriously appeared in the past four months. What better to start with than my roommate's last bottle of Molson Bohemian, a discount-brand brew that makes me a little nervous (though the alternative is much worse - a bottle of Lakeport Pilsener with the old style of label... that one's getting the toss). But perhaps I'm just being a snob; let's examine further.

I should note, of course, that I have only a vague idea as to the age of this bottle, which is most likely just under 5 months old. This is stretching the freshness reccomendations of Molson, but it was refridgerated safely for the whole time, so I shall take a small risk. It's probably best to take this into consideration when reading my words.

Appearance is typical of a macro - it pours from the ISB (with a label exlaiming the numerous awards this brew won 100 years ago) into my pint glass a hazy macro-straw colour that's barely inches away from being translucent. An aggressive pour surprisingly resulted in two-fingers of head; though it quickly subsides, there are a few rings and an admittedly pleasant layer of thick lacing. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

Smell is a tad unusual, though not nearly as bad as I was expecting. It's dominated by a sort of apple, cider-ish note, which seems to be covering a bready malt and some ever-so-faint hopping. A quite sweet, almost bubblegum character, but also some corn adjunct and some slight metallic notes. Still, not as bad as I was expecting.

The taste, however, ruins anything that Bohemian had going for it leading in. Initially, the cider notes appear, but are quickly dominated by a dry, unpleasant breadiness. The cloying sweetness comes through (both as a result of the corn, which is at least subdued in the taste, and the unusual bubblegum character). Slightly metallic - the light hopping, however (which was fairly pleasing in the nose) dissapointingly fails to assert itself at all. Finishes quite, quite dry with more of the cider taste, and a feeling in the mouth of having spent the past two hours chewing on a piece of bad bread. There's certainly worse out there, but I don't want to try it.

Mouthfeel is typical macro; watery body and absurdly effervescent carbonation. Though I could conceive this as being refreshing, the taste just does not do it at all for me. Drinkability isn't bad - if I was a depressed, cheap drunk, I might turn to this stuff in a pinch (24 for $24), but if presented the choice, I wouldn't even have one.

There's definitely worse out there than Bohemian, but I certainly don't want to try it - although, to be fair, I think I prefer it to Molson Canadian AND Labatt Blue, so it has something going for it. Drinkable, but only in a pinch.

2.5/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I didn't recognize this, so gave it a try. Pours pale straw yellow with fizzy white head. Smells grainy, some mild bready malt. No hops at all really. Quite mild taste, nothing off, just almost nothing there. Too much carbonation for my preference. I don't plan to drink again.

2.51/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

2.64/5  rDev -6.4%

Lately I've been drinking a lot of good beer. I was at a friends house the other night and saw he had some "Boh". I figured it was time to drink a cheapo macro.

A - I drank it out of the bottle, so I'm giving it a 3 because I figure that's a safe bet. It probably has a cle light straw colour that forms a vigorous but short lived head, with bright sparkling carbonation

S - Non-existent. Slightly metallic and earthy would be the closest description I can think of.

T - It's club soda. I can't identify these flavours. There's a mild sweetness, some earthy tones I guess. It's not offensive though. Not at all. It just isn't much of anything.

M - Nice full carbonation makes it lively in the mouth and helps a bit with the lack of flavour. It's light.

D - I could down these all night if I had too. I guess that's the point.

Notes: I guess it is what it's supposed to be. But what it's supposed to be is expected to be the bottom of the barrel. This beer does a great job of being not offensive. That doesn't mean it doesn't suck, just that it won't offend you.

2.65/5  rDev -6%

Appearance is golden and average, smell is sweet and a hint of corn hops.

The taste is very light bodied and watery but with okay hops and sweet. The aftertaste is very dry, almost non existant.

Overall this is an okay selection for a bargain beer. Unlike some brands it is not completly watery and has some taste. But it's still missing an extra zing.

2.73/5  rDev -3.2%

341ml bottle poured into pint glass 24/2/12

A clear straw yellow with a short lived thumbs width of foam that falls fast and leaves no lace, looks like a macro lager

S some sweet bready malt with some faint hops, not much going on but doesn't smell bad

T a little rice cake and a faint chemical flavor that's hard to place but not overly offensive, more of nothing really just another bland lager

M light bodied, well carbonated with a clean finish,

O yet another basic macro, at least this one didn't offend me like many of them, just not much going on

I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record lately, I'm not sure if its me or all the plain old macros I've been reviewing. I gotta go find some interesting brews see ya later

2.75/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.78/5  rDev -1.4%

One of those classic Canadian "drinkers" that is inexpensive and tastes better with each bottle.

I know, that's not a ringing endorsement, but at this price, if you're going to save some cash and buy a budget 24, you could do a lot worse. It's actually a little hoppy, has a fairly clean finish, and is really only marred by that sappy sweetness one finds in such corn-imbued lagers. I'm certain it bears no resemblance to whatever the original "Bohemian" might have been, but it certainly doesn't get worse as the evening progresses, and I'm sure your Molson Canadian and Labatt Blue buddies will find it an improvement.

(Can you believe those two beers are marketed as "premium"?) I'm flabbergasted. At least "Boh" pretends nothing, promises little, goes down ok... and is priced appropriately!

2.84/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.94/5  rDev +4.3%

341ml bottle. Another re-entry into the Alberta market for the big boys - and once again, it looks like they're still clearing out old label stock - the Molson brewery in Edmonton has been closed for 5 years or so, eh?

This beer pours a clear, pale golden yellow colour, with one finger of temporal fizzy white head, which is gone the next moment I appraise the glass, at which time I also can discern a disturbing lack of anything resembling lace.

It smells of sweet, almost sugary adjunct grain malt, more glycerol than bakery-bred, a slight fruity phenolic tang, and very mild musty, earthy hops. The taste is plain, semi-sweet fruity grain, more barley-esque than I have been thus far led to believe, with some dry rice notes, tamed and broken earthy hops, and a very ethereal plastic character.

The bubbles are fairly lulling, lackadaisical, even, the body medium weight, remarkable only for the style, the smoothness equally qualified. It finishes quite clean, a smidgeon off-dry, and just a bit grainy.

Huh. Of all the Canadian analogues that Molson has churned out over the years, this one may very well be the best of a dubious class - easy enough to drink, no common flaws, innocuous. Plain, too, but that's not always a bad thing.

Can't beat a bottle of Boh on a hot summer day.
The classic Saskatchewan beer (along with Pil). Looks like beer should - yellow/gold color, bubbly foam that quickly disappears to nothing. Not much aroma not bad, some grainy smell that gets worse as it warms up. Lots of carbonation throughout which gives it a light crisp mouthfeel. Easy to drink, generic canadian beer. Can't go wrong for the price - you get what you pay for. Drinkable on a hot day, but not much more.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast