Molson Ice | Molson Coors Canada

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

2.6

Reviews: 173 | Ratings: 483
1.11/5  rDev -57.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsener glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color with a thin white head that fades at a decent rate and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very pungent and metallic with corn, some malt and a little bit of hops.

T: The flavor starts out with the typical macro malt and adjunct sweetness that fades quickly. There’s a slight hops presence, which is better than most macros, but there’s also a weird bite to it that makes the taste unpleasant.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, high carbonation, dry finish.

D: Not too tasty, but it at least it isn’t filling. If I’m forced to drink a beer in this style, it wouldn’t be this one if I had another choice.

1.18/5  rDev -54.6%

It's 90°F in the house right now (a great morning temperature to start off the day indoors--can't wait for today's high! [sarcasm]. It's sad, because it's so hot two of my four cats are panting their furry little asses off and breathing rapidly, but there's nothing I can do... and it's only going to get hotter.

Well, broke as I am, I bought two 24-ounce cans of Molson Ice. Unless I was screwing around, there's no way I would be getting either of these beers if I had extra money to spend. I have had it before, and in fact I always confuse Molson Ice and Labatt Ice. This is partially the reason I'm writing this review... as a personal reminder to NOT accidentally pick this one up again! I don't remember what the Labatt Ice tastes like right now, but I'm pretty sure it was the better one of the two. Either way, back to this beer.

Appearance: Pours a very weak, unattractive looking pale yellow. Somewhat lively carbonation with a big white head that, as expected, recedes to a thin ring, but surprisingly leaves some lacing. I think I'll give it a few points for the decent lacing at least, but otherwise... the appearance itself is too typical (white head on straw body) and the color of the liquid beer itself is too pale. The carbonation quickly fizzles away, and the beer is crystal-clear.

Smell: Honestly, I don't know how to describe this. Man-made chemically sweetness? It's just not good, though not quite as in-your-face as...

Taste: Yep, it keeps going downhill. This beer tastes like... well, synthetic chemically sweetness. Completely unnatural. Similar artifical aftertaste that seems to linger. So sweet and synthetic tasting, in fact, that it's hard to drink... it's downright nasty, especially as it warms a bit. I guess it's good as a cheap alcohol delivery system, but warning: do NOT drink it on a hot, 90-degree day! Unless you are prepared to drink out of a frozen mug or chug straight from the can, as this beer warms, it gets absolutely disgusting with this artificial taste. There are far better beers to drink on hot, humid days. This one doesn't even come close; there is no refreshment to something that tastes like sweet chemically shit.

Mouthfeel: Just barely fuller than water. Seriously, do yourself a favor and just get yourself a nice cold glass of water. I'm no fan of water, but at least it's drinkable.

Overall: No good as a beer for hot weather. No good if you don't drink fast and allow it to warm up in *any* weather. This beer really doesn't have any redeeming qualities. Even its lacing that is surprising for the style cannot save it. By the way, as the lacing dries, it also looks pretty weak.

Do yourself a favor and just skip this beer. I will from now on. I'm *pretty* sure now that Labatt Ice is the better ice beer of the two, from what I remember after retrying this. Soon enough though, I will be giving Labatt Ice another shot, and maybe post a review of it... for completeness reasons.

1.21/5  rDev -53.5%

Had one of these at a poker game at a friend's house. He poured it into a glass and I tried it without looking at what it was first. I folded with a straight flush.

So what does it taste like? Go out on a rainy night & find a skunk that was knocked dead by a case of cheap beer falling off a truck. Take that bad boy home & wring him out in a glass. Molson makes some decent brews - this is NOT one of 'em...

1.28/5  rDev -50.8%

Pale swill yellow color and overall appearance. The flavor is a combination of grainy malty bitterness and some skunk. Not easy drinking. Actually, not a big fan of any Molson product. Best I've had is probably the Golden but even that's very limited.

1.31/5  rDev -49.6%

Bottled on 8/9/06. Served in a pint glass at fridge temperature.

Appearance- Pours a clear, thin, medium straw color that creates a crackling finger-thick white head. It diminishes rather quickly to a thin mat, being slightly replenished by the streams of thin carbonation from below.

Smell- A sickly sweet odor of adjuncts and cooked corn... concentrated even more by the "ice" brewing method. A cheap aroma, bordering on blasphemy.

Taste- Cloying and offensive... this is one of those brews that is best "enjoyed" ice cold out of the bottle, when getting drunk fast is on the itinerary. In a glass, it's awful... expose this mess to your whole tongue and you'll see what I mean. The aftertaste is harsh and awful, accentuating all but the true ingredients of real beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Overly carbonated... it's quick and fierce in the mouth, leaving no rewards during or after the swallow. The cheap, fake taste of this beer is horrific and kills drinkability big time.

1.4/5  rDev -46.2%

First had: ?

Somehow, this is better than other Molson products. Not that I drink it, but I used to back in the day. Pours a pale golden-yellow with a fizzy white head that doesn't linger long. Light aroma of sweet malts and corn, some grain. Sweetness mainly in the taste, fading to a bit of what could almost be hop bitterness. Very light bodied and not very drinkable, but a tiny step above other TV ad T&A beers.

1.45/5  rDev -44.2%

Another case of bottled urine. This I will never ever ever touch again. I nearly had to spit it out the first time I had one. I couldnt finish the bottle. Since then, I have a few times taken a swig of someone's, each time hoping that, this time, it will taste good. It never does. Absolutely disgusting beer.

1.55/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a light golden color with a nice lace of head. Smell is of super sweet adjunct aromas. Putrid at best. Taste is like all other adjunct lagers, but with fusel alcohols added. Goes down dry with a bitter aftertaste. One of the worst adjunct lagers I've had, and probably the worst Ice beer I've had. This one is gonna be hard to finish.

1.6/5  rDev -38.5%

The bottle is very ugly, a precurser to what awaits. This "beer" needs to be very cold just to make it past your tongue. Gold color with a nice thin head. It tastes like metal if warm, no taste if chilled properly. Stick to Colt 45.

1.6/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 40 into an Aventinus weizen style glass....sacrilege?

Pale gold with a small white head that dissappears quickly. Decent carbonation.

Smells of malt, musty corn, and a little alcohol.

Tastes more or less the same with carbonation and a rather clean finish as long as it stays cold.

Typical light macro body.

More drinkable than most ices, but PBR is better tasting, cheaper, and just as available when opting to "go slummin'". Another con is that too often I get a bottle that is skunked or damn near.

1.63/5  rDev -37.3%

Presentation: 12oz green glass US-generic longneck bottle, multicolored label

Appearance: golden color, big head, but no lacing

Smell: hoppy, alcohol, some malt

Taste: light body, watery mouthfeel, strong alcohol, hoppy bitterness, hint of malt

Notes: not a good one

1.67/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

The only saving grace for this beer is that it looks nice. Fluffy white head, somewhat bronze golden color. Nice. As for the rest of this beer. Horrible. I like Molson, I prefer it over American macros, but this stuff is nasty. Strong alcohol flavor, yet abv is not really that much higher than the regular stuff. A bit of a rough grainy flavor in there, might be skunked a little. Body is thicker than most which takes away from smoothness and ease. This is tough to drink. Really tough imo. Ice beers are stupid and pointless and this one is in particular stupid and pointless. Buy regular Molson instead.

1.7/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of a 24oz can that I picked up for the train ride home. The color was slightly toasted straw, clear, with a decent white head that dissipated into a slight cap that left some soapy lacing. The smell is just terrible, total adjuncts, cooked veggies, gross. The taste is more bland than the smell, which is a good thing in this case. It has an artifical sweetness to it, no malt or hops to be identified. The mouthfeel is watery, poor. The beer goes down easy but doesn't taste like anything. Not something I would look to buy.

1.7/5  rDev -34.6%

I have to be honest; I picked up a 6 pack of this only because I am a rabid NHL fan. And not much says hockey more then Canada. Each week I always try various 6 packs of beer until the local stores run out of options to try. This was one I had never considered, since as another user commented "Ice Brewed" beers are not worth much.
I opened the bottle and the first thing that hit me was the bitter aroma. It was very pungent and hit my nose quickly. After I took the light sip and let the golden liquid roll across my mouth I swallowed. I noticed two very distinct problems, first off the beer seemed to coat my mouth with something, secondly it had a very bitter and dry aftertaste. After a few more I ended up just slamming it to get it over with. It was one of the worst beers I think I have ever had, although I am by no means a beer expert. (I am sure there are worse) But I ended up giving it another shot a few days later and still of course had the same reaction. I would not recommend Molson Ice no matter how much Canada reminds you of hockey.

1.72/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bright amber-gold with a sparse cloud of dust-like particles floating within. The off-white head of frothy foam lasts for a good bit and throws up thick strands of meandering lace. Molsen Ice is an improvement on the typical macro lager appearance, for which it deserves some small measure of credit.

Eau de skunk assauted me when the crown was cracked, but has now faded to some degree. If I get my nose anywhere near the glass there are still olfactory echoes of skunk, but they're now mixed with the more usual sour grain-musty hop aromas. My wife, who has an especially sensitive sense of smell, has just wandered into the room and has decided that this beer smells like 'body odor'.

It isn't quite offensive on the palate, but it's very, very close. On first blush, Ice seems too low on flavor to get into too much trouble, but rather than quickly fading, the flavor lingers just long enough to deliver a pungent, sharply bitter noble hop payload. The more I drink it, the less I like it. After another few mouthfuls, I've changed my mind. It is offensive.

The body might be a tad more hefty than the style average, but it's still only medium in a general sense. As alluded to above, a body that keeps this beer in contact with the taste buds for a longer period of time isn't necessarily a good thing. The best that I can say about the carbonation is that it's unobtrusive. Really though, does it matter? This isn't good beer no matter how livable the mouthfeel.

The brewery says that Molson Ice is "America's #1 imported Ice Beer". Think about that for a minute. What other countries, besides the U.S. and Canada, even brew such a thing as an Ice Beer? It's all hype anyway; a macro lager is a macro lager is a macro lager. This is an especially bad version though, so I guess that there are degrees of badness.

1.74/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

While drinking this Beer,I noticed it is now Brewed by Coors in America,and even says in Very small print "Product of U.S.A." ~anyway it Looks fine [pretty much like most American Adjunct Lagers] Sort of a clear Straw Color,..however the Smell is very odd,and not in a good way,almost like Moldy Corn that has soured~also some Chemical notes,and just plain nasty to be honest~the Taste is not as bad as the smell...however you get a TON of Corn,and pick up some of that Moldy corn flavor,and a light Chemical taste,..you REALLY have chill this beer down,just as you would a "Malt Liquor" and drink em fast,because when it warms all those Moldy,Chemical,and off flavors become even stronger~would I buy this Beer Again? NO! however I have had much worse,and it is drinkable to a degree,but a chugging Beer all the way,you really do not want to savor a Beer this bad,cheers!

1.75/5  rDev -32.7%

Clear, pale yellow hue, thin carbonated head. Faint adjunct present aroma, some grainy and earthy smells are un-inviting. Husky and grainy, over-carbonated, champagne like feel. A delicate taste of corn, which is even advertised directly on the can. Very thin, horrible as it warms, not much going on here, other than a highly over-hyped, mass marketed, northern tier macro.

1.77/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Purchased from Target in Jones Valley, Huntsville, AL.

Going through all the macro lagers that Target sells as singles. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

Pours a dark yellow color, transparent body, with a thick white foamy head. Nice carbonation, nice presence in the glass. Appearance is quite nice.

The nose hits me as I'm pouring the beer, and all I can get is skunk, skunk, skunk. As the head settles, I find that the skunkiness isn't quite as obvious, which is the only thing keeping me from giving this a straight 1 for smell. Bad.

Tastes kind of sweet at first, but with a punishing dry aftertaste. Skunkiness not quite as bad as in the nose, but still quite present. The green bottle probably hasn't helped much, here.

I don't really like keeping this in my mouth long enough to get a feel for the mouthfeelm but what's there is thin and watery. I'm giving it a good rating here because it at least keeps it slightly easier to drink than it could be.

Overall drinkability is low. I won't be buying this again. This bottle (fortunately not a six-pack) is for science, not enjoyment. Never again.

1.78/5  rDev -31.5%

I got this beer out of a 24 oz. tall can that was Silver on the top and bottom and black in the middle. In the middle is the word "Molson" with a red maple leaf above and John Molson's signature below that. I thought I might give it a try since it was on sale at a local grocery store.

I decided to pour this in a mug instead of chugging it out of the can. When it settled, the beer was a straw yellow with a tall fizzing head of white foam. It fizzled away really fast and it decided to leave few rings and no lace around the glass. It had a light aroma of sweet malts and plenty of adjuncts. It almost basically tasted like it smelled, sweet malts, plenty of adjuncts like corn and rice, splash of hops and some alcohol at the very end. The mouthfeel was very thin, not too watery, and with an aftertaste of corn. It tasted like an average macro lager and something I'd probably not buy again unless it's $1 for a 24 oz. can.

1.79/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured into a pils glass. 24 oz can. Ice beer at 5.6%. Hopefully I function after such a hefty ABV.

3.5 A: Clear pale yellow color. Three fingers of frothy white head. Retention is very good and a decent amount of lacing is left. Not bad here.

2.0 S: Dry graininess with corny sweetness.

1.5 T: Fairly tasteless with the only discernable taste being corn.

2.0 M: Light body. Carbonation is a bit high, but reasonable for the style. Something like chewy, but not quite, and no creaminess.

1.5 D: This is bad by AAL standards. Don't know how I'm gonna finish this.

1.8/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Pours out with some head, a fairly strong yellow hue, and plenty of carbonation. Like most macros is lacking on the aroma, though the flavour is mildly better than the (below) average standards with some grain and excessive carbonation.

Mouthfeel and drinkability get their normal fairly low marks from me for a macro, mouth is very light with a lot of carbonation (something I generally don't care for) while the drinkability is middle of the road, good, but not remarkable.

Like others I recommend only having this ice cold, and only in a pinch. I can tolerate it once in a great while, but it's still a very plain jane brew.

1.85/5  rDev -28.8%

Better than average Molson. The beer to have when there is no good beers because the host is an ignoramous on beer. The ice is a gimmick, but if you serve it exceptionally cold, it taste a tad like vodka left in the freezer. And that's the best I can say about it.

1.85/5  rDev -28.8%

I normally don't drink '"ice" beers as I usually take that as meaning "no flavor, high alcohol." I used to drink Molson Ice in college, and when it first came out, I prefered it to Bud etc. The one value it has is that it is beer, and when cold it drinkable. Some bitterness gives this beer taste, but overall not very good.

1.87/5  rDev -28.1%

A vertical pour will give you a 5-finger white head that fades quickly to a ring but it does leave a good lace. Clear, very pale amber color. Light carbonation and very light bodied. Nose is skunky. Starts slightly sweet but both the malt and hops are very light, there's no beef to this beer. $1.50 for a 12oz from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

1.88/5  rDev -27.7%

A: Poured a crystal clear macro-gold with a ½ finger fizzy sudsy white head that left a sparse layering. Visible carbonation was very light.

S: almost non existent and very faint with at best, light buttered grains. Nothing to smell here move along.

T: sweet buttered corn with a light dry hay and herbal hopping. A light sour grassiness is found on the finish while the overall flavor was unimpressive to say the least. Not much to go on here as well.

M: light, watery, typical macro with a light fizziness around the tongues edges while leaving a dry grassy fade.

D: Drinkability, no thanks. Not very good or likely will re-visit. Avoid and don't bother.

Molson Ice from Molson Coors Canada