Molson Ice | Molson Coors Canada

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

Liked:
2.5/5
Alströms:

this is what we used to buy to get drunk quick and cheap when i was younger. 7 bucks a twelve pack.

1.11/5  rDev -55.6%

A terrible ice beer. Canadians make great ice wines, but not beers. That being said, I have to be fair. I've never had a good ice beer.

1.11/5  rDev -55.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsener glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color with a thin white head that fades at a decent rate and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very pungent and metallic with corn, some malt and a little bit of hops.

T: The flavor starts out with the typical macro malt and adjunct sweetness that fades quickly. There’s a slight hops presence, which is better than most macros, but there’s also a weird bite to it that makes the taste unpleasant.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, high carbonation, dry finish.

D: Not too tasty, but it at least it isn’t filling. If I’m forced to drink a beer in this style, it wouldn’t be this one if I had another choice.

1.18/5  rDev -52.8%

It's 90°F in the house right now (a great morning temperature to start off the day indoors--can't wait for today's high! [sarcasm]. It's sad, because it's so hot two of my four cats are panting their furry little asses off and breathing rapidly, but there's nothing I can do... and it's only going to get hotter.

Well, broke as I am, I bought two 24-ounce cans of Molson Ice. Unless I was screwing around, there's no way I would be getting either of these beers if I had extra money to spend. I have had it before, and in fact I always confuse Molson Ice and Labatt Ice. This is partially the reason I'm writing this review... as a personal reminder to NOT accidentally pick this one up again! I don't remember what the Labatt Ice tastes like right now, but I'm pretty sure it was the better one of the two. Either way, back to this beer.

Appearance: Pours a very weak, unattractive looking pale yellow. Somewhat lively carbonation with a big white head that, as expected, recedes to a thin ring, but surprisingly leaves some lacing. I think I'll give it a few points for the decent lacing at least, but otherwise... the appearance itself is too typical (white head on straw body) and the color of the liquid beer itself is too pale. The carbonation quickly fizzles away, and the beer is crystal-clear.

Smell: Honestly, I don't know how to describe this. Man-made chemically sweetness? It's just not good, though not quite as in-your-face as...

Taste: Yep, it keeps going downhill. This beer tastes like... well, synthetic chemically sweetness. Completely unnatural. Similar artifical aftertaste that seems to linger. So sweet and synthetic tasting, in fact, that it's hard to drink... it's downright nasty, especially as it warms a bit. I guess it's good as a cheap alcohol delivery system, but warning: do NOT drink it on a hot, 90-degree day! Unless you are prepared to drink out of a frozen mug or chug straight from the can, as this beer warms, it gets absolutely disgusting with this artificial taste. There are far better beers to drink on hot, humid days. This one doesn't even come close; there is no refreshment to something that tastes like sweet chemically shit.

Mouthfeel: Just barely fuller than water. Seriously, do yourself a favor and just get yourself a nice cold glass of water. I'm no fan of water, but at least it's drinkable.

Overall: No good as a beer for hot weather. No good if you don't drink fast and allow it to warm up in *any* weather. This beer really doesn't have any redeeming qualities. Even its lacing that is surprising for the style cannot save it. By the way, as the lacing dries, it also looks pretty weak.

Do yourself a favor and just skip this beer. I will from now on. I'm *pretty* sure now that Labatt Ice is the better ice beer of the two, from what I remember after retrying this. Soon enough though, I will be giving Labatt Ice another shot, and maybe post a review of it... for completeness reasons.

1.21/5  rDev -51.6%

Had one of these at a poker game at a friend's house. He poured it into a glass and I tried it without looking at what it was first. I folded with a straight flush.

So what does it taste like? Go out on a rainy night & find a skunk that was knocked dead by a case of cheap beer falling off a truck. Take that bad boy home & wring him out in a glass. Molson makes some decent brews - this is NOT one of 'em...

Molson Ice from Molson Coors Canada