Molson Ice | Molson Coors Canada

molson.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

2.68/5  rDev +7.2%

Yellow not gold when poured it had a nice head that lasted thru the drink. The green bottle used to be "cool" but I think it enhances light and kills what taste it has. Smelled a bit of skunk but not over-powering. I liked this Ice but could fair better if I wanted the higher alcohol. I would drink it again.

2.56/5  rDev +2.4%

12 oz green bottle. Poured a typical straw yellow, with a moderate head, that didn't stick around long. As soon as I opened the bottle out jumped the skunk. After letting it set for a few minutes, was able to smell some faint hints of malt. Taste was fizzy and watery and bland. Not that it's bad it is just nothing special. Good session beer

2.7/5  rDev +8%

i feel as if i'm stuck in a rut of reviewing average to below average brews. that doesn't change with molson ice. actually poured a deeper gold/yellow than i expected, but with absoulutely no head and minimal carbonation. smelled a bit sweeter than i remembered and the taste proved my nose right. definitely too sweet of a taste here for me and i was put off by the hints of alchohol as well. not a major problem with the beer itself, more of a personal preference thing, but i was still not that impressed overall.

2.7/5  rDev +8%

This Ice from Molson is a medium dark golden hue with a limited crown and fair carbonation. The body is medium.
This brew is very thin and dry and certainly leaves you lacking.
Very little character here but I find that common with all Ice beers.
Not a rewarding expierience...

2.98/5  rDev +19.2%

One of the better ice beers out there. Straw color with a short head. Not much in the flavor department. Regular Molson taste, but in ice form. Cheap! I buy this sometimes when I'm very strapped for cash in the summert months. Packs a punch to make up for the lack of flavor. Still one of the best ice beers on the market.

2.46/5  rDev -1.6%

The first thing that immediately suprised me about Molson Ice was that it wasn't skunked. Usually green bottles are the kiss of death but my sample of Molson Ice had no signs of skunktitude whatsoever. Anyway, a couple of my work cohorts swear by this beer, probably because of the 5.6% alcohol content, and I can say that while this isn't horrid beer, the focus is definitely on alcohol and not taste.

Molson Ice pours a relatively nice medium straw color with a decent white foamy head that disappears within 30 seconds. The smell is quite light: some grains and the smell of alcohol. The mouthfeel is watery and fizzy, but quite easy to drink. The taste is on the light side as well. The malt and grain flavors are at a minimum, and I don't think I could detect any hops. What was definitely present was an astringent alcohol flavor. It didn't completely dominate the beer, but it let you know it was there, and in the process made the finish a little bitter. The aftertaste is slightly dry with the bittering effect continuing. Of course this couldn't be an ice beer without putting some fire in your belly (not the pleasant kind that you would get from sipping a nice winter ale though).

Molson Ice is a quaffable beverage that doesn't deliver a whole lot (except for a buzz), but makes for a good hot-weather beer. Some of the unpleasantness in this beer can definitely be cut down if served really cold. Altogether, an average macro ice beer.

3.06/5  rDev +22.4%

Very,very light beer. Goes down just like water. It is a pale yellow color with a thick white head on it. After taste is light but with a hint of alcohol left behind. Not bad all around though, if you are looking for a light beer, with a good amount of alcohol in it. Even better is the price, $1.25! I'll definately be back for this one.

2.83/5  rDev +13.2%

well...it pours out a clear golden color....medium head dies to a bit of lace. sweet malt and adjunct aroma. tastes like the "canadian" but with a definite alcohol kick. more pleasing tastewise than the "golden"...definite malt notes with some spicy hoppiness for flavor. prevalent crispness in the finish with a bit of alcohol burn. oh, canada....after too many of these i won't be standing on guard for thee.....

not a bad beer...but not very good either. just typical north american/canadian macro crap. drink labatt ice if you want a better ice beer.

2.08/5  rDev -16.8%

This beer came to the table in the pint glass a gold straw color. The head was non-existent, but I did happen to look over and notice that it was white when it came out of the tap. The aroma was not all that there, smells of corn, grain, water, some citrus and hops. The taste was watery and not that impressive. Some malt, hops and corn were present, but I did notice the taste of alcohol in my glass. Decent carbonation was present. The one thing wrong with this beer is that the few times I have had it before I noticed that they all tasted different from the next. Better then drinking the other stuff they had on tap.

3.62/5  rDev +44.8%

This is like the Canadian Bud. Molson Ice is my cheap beer, the old stand by. It has good flavor and goes down easy. Plus it's no that filling, so you can drink a lot of it. But it does have a kick, almost like heiny, but not as bad. If you want to get buzzed on a good, worth the money beer, this is the one.

1.6/5  rDev -36%

The bottle is very ugly, a precurser to what awaits. This "beer" needs to be very cold just to make it past your tongue. Gold color with a nice thin head. It tastes like metal if warm, no taste if chilled properly. Stick to Colt 45.

4.5/5  rDev +80%

This is a great beer. I enjoy ice beers as it is,but the smoothness of this beer is exceptional. The smell is very pleasing and the aftertaste is easy on the palate...
A good all around beer while watching the Patriots on a Sunday.
Happy Drinking

3.1/5  rDev +24%

Clear. Very nice yellowish gold color. Topped by a creamy white head that holds well. The aroma is limited but reveals a very lightly fruity, softly grainy malt. The body is medium with a fine, moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is lightly crisp. The flavor offers far more character than the aroma suggests with a fruity, sweetish & grainy malt that's backed by a gently crisp & lightly spicy hoppiness. Although the alcohol is only 5.6% by volume, it's slightly noticeable. Combined with the fruitiness, my guess would be that they're fermenting this lager fairly warm (over 60F). It finishes fairly short and dry. An unremarkable, fairly basic beer that has a bit of malt & hop character and an easy drinkability.

2.79/5  rDev +11.6%

My first Canadian ice beer.It poored like a classic pilsner style, pale gold with a nice head. It gives off a strong oder thats more noticed than the taste. The taste is alittle bitter but not bad. Alcohol is up at 5.9%, but not like the strength or as heavy as an IPA. A ok hot day summer brew.Like the name implies, serve very cold.

2.54/5  rDev +1.6%

I Don't Buy Ice Beer! But my neighbor came over with the Molson Ice, so I drank'em. To my surprise, it wasn't half bad. And on a hot day, a cold one would do.

Yellow color with a fair head. Peculiar smell. Weak hops/malt taste, but not unpleasant. No headache, that's a plus. Finishes okay.

1.85/5  rDev -26%

I normally don't drink '"ice" beers as I usually take that as meaning "no flavor, high alcohol." I used to drink Molson Ice in college, and when it first came out, I prefered it to Bud etc. The one value it has is that it is beer, and when cold it drinkable. Some bitterness gives this beer taste, but overall not very good.

I used to like this beer in college, but it seems to be skunky more often than not. Not worth the risk, even though it is a smooth clean beer on it's "good" days.

2.96/5  rDev +18.4%

Thin lace with good clarity. A bit more harsh from what I remember. Mild solvent alcohol in the nose and flavour. Thin on the malt with little hop to balance though being on the dry side it is not too bad. There are cheaper $$$ ice beers that taste the same.

I rate this beer average or a 3.0 across the board. The corn does not get in the way, but it's there for sure, and why not? it is from Canada, there is lots of corn in Canada.

I have e-mailed Moosehead beer about how corn is listed on the Canada web site, and not on the US site. (putting all of the big Canada beers in the same bag) and Moosehead told me "It's our secret" about the corn... right...

But getting on with it (the review)...

Enough carbonation and hops to keep you from spitting the stuff out, and enough alcohol to get you numb. The corn is listed right on the side of the 12 pack, so no one is trying to hide it. Corn, not too bad of a thing to be used in making beer.

If you want German taste, buy German beer.

This beer is not less than average, but not more ether.

3.35/5  rDev +34%

Golden yellow in color with medium big bubbled head. Firm hop character is balanced by its smooth medium body with good drinkability. Slight alcohol taste.

2.83/5  rDev +13.2%

Consumed directly from the bottle while playing some frisbee golf. Smell is classic macro lager; adjuncts and adjunct sweetness. Mostly adjunct sweetness with a slight bit of malt detected and a few hops thrown in. This is a pretty drinkable brew. As far as ice lagers go I would have to say that this is probably one of the better beers that fits the style. Not a great beer by any means, but when the cash is tight and I'm not in it to savor the taste I will go with this one.

2.25/5  rDev -10%

I found this addition to Molson's line to be a disappointment. As a macrobrew, I usually tend to get Molson when offered a Canadian beer. But I think the other Molson holds up better than this one.

1.76/5  rDev -29.6%

Exactly what part of the population likes to drink this beer? It tastes like sink run-off. It's harsh with a bad aftertaste. And it has no odor.

1.45/5  rDev -42%

Another case of bottled urine. This I will never ever ever touch again. I nearly had to spit it out the first time I had one. I couldnt finish the bottle. Since then, I have a few times taken a swig of someone's, each time hoping that, this time, it will taste good. It never does. Absolutely disgusting beer.

Generally, I don't really care for ice beers. You are usually left with an aftertaste that resembles swallowing cologne. However, this one isn't too bad. Somewhat sweet (corn?) and actually easy to drink. 5.6% ABV, which is slightly lower in alcohol than many of the other ice beers out there and not too bad. I really wanted to dislike this beer, but I found myself reaching for another one. A decent BBQ quaffer from Molson.

Molson Ice from Molson Coors Canada