Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Rickard's Red | Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada
Ontario, Canada
molson.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Crafted using three different malted barleys, Pacific Northwest hops and the finest Brewer's Caramel, Rickard's Red is exceptionally flavorful with a smooth finish. Enjoy Canada's favorite red beer with its proud pub heritage served cold in a pint glass.

Brewed using three different malt barleys, Pacific Northwest hops, and the finest Brewer's Caramel.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2001

firstprev| 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next → last
2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured a clear dull golden-red in color with a sparse off-white head that held up well and even laced the glass. Aromas are malty sweet with just a dash of bitter hops in the background. Flavors are average. A slightly roasted nutty flavor mixed in with a caramel sweetness on the front side that finished with a slight bitter metallic aftertaste. Mouthfeel is on the thin side and this was one I didn't find myself reaching for to finish. A Molson product, so what'd you expect?

4.33/5  rDev +39.7%

I don't care: I like this beer. I first had it on draft at the hotel we always stay in in Montreal, and I was just amazed at how pleasant and easy it was to drink. The taste is there, and you can keep on drinking them. Last had on draft in April in Montreal...Clear irish setter red when served, came topped with a nice white frothy head. Clean aroma. Great medium mouthfeel, good carbonation, it's mostly all malt with a biscuity aftertaste. I guess this could be my favorite macro! I would not turn this beer down. Since I've been known to have many in a row, it gets a 5 for drinkability.

2.68/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Molson's poster child of craft brewing. Better than water, possibly drinkable. OK red color. Bit of malt taste but not much taste thereafter.. Grainy. Tiny hops but carbonation. Bitter astringent aftertaste. Medium mouthfeel. A lot of creamy head disapearing like soap in sink.

Tap: clear dark brown colored beer with absolutely no head or carbonation. Aroma is very neutral with small traces of malts. Taste is also very neutral with traces of malts. Just another macro beer with no taste whatsoever. Very boring beer from Molson.

2.21/5  rDev -28.7%

More of a dirty brown than red, still it looked nice after the experiment gone awry that was a Molson Canadian. Looking forward to this after that, the disappointment was immediate. Thin thin thin, I think this is the most watery beer that wasn't yellow/clear I've ever had. Nothing happening in the aroma, a funny metallic taste, and the only good thin about the finish is when I was finished with it. To it's credit, the beer was fresh and adjuncts were not detected. Just way too thin and too funny tasting.

3.57/5  rDev +15.2%

This brew surprized me, was nothing like what I had anticipated.
Arrived a deep amber with a very short crown which quickly dicapated leaving nothing but the amber fluid.
The body was lighter than anticipated, as it was a medium.
Carbonation was light.
The taste was the real surprize here, as it was far more evenly balanced than I recalled from drinking this stuff a few years back on tap.
Very smooth going down, with a nice hoppy end to compliment the slight edge given the malts to begin. No linger.
Nose was limited caromel/fruits, no linger there either.

2.73/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours out a dark amber colour. The head disappears leaving no trace. Nose is a kind of maize smell - sort of - maybe. I just couldn't tell. I drank it but it was not what I think of as a good tasting amber/red. I might have to try it again and see if I missed something.

3.46/5  rDev +11.6%

Spent an extremely pleasant afternoon in a Pub in Victoria BC drinking this beer, so my rating may be a little biased.Medium red color. Roasted malts, slightly hoppy, very flavorful ale. Refreshing and slightly hoppy. Good malt/hop balance. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

4.27/5  rDev +37.7%

Rickard's Red has finally been added to the inventory of beers available New Brunswick Canada's liquor stores.
This excellent red ale was first introduced to me some 5 years ago in Ontario forcing me to travel far and wide to get my hands on a few.
At a recent tasting with a few friends Rickard's Red was at the top of the list along with a local New Brunswick beer called Alpine. At this tasting we learned not to mix too many types of beers together as the drinkabiltity of lighter tasting beers such as Corona and Budweiser were very negatively affected by the stronger tasting ones such as Rickard's.

2.71/5  rDev -12.6%

I believe this is one of the best MacroReds I've had. Better than Killians, with a great amber tone and copper head that lasted thru the entire glass. I didn't smell anything but maybe a little hoppy citrus blend. It had a decent malt finish with a smooth mouthfeel. If I could have this again I would. The only place I've ever seen
this was in Niagara Falls so getting it in Columbus Ohio is only unlikely. I can live with out it though.

3.41/5  rDev +10%

Color is a solid red amber, deep and glowing with a small off-white head of tight foam that faded leaving minimum lacing. Smell is very faint of sweet caramel malt and thats about it. Taste is lighter then expected, mostly sweetness from caramel malts a bit of hops but is uneven a bit towards the finish, nice effort, but still watered down enough for less taste and easier drinkin. Upon closer inspection I see its a Molson product, that explained alot. I went out of my way a bit while traveling in Sault Ste, Marie,Ontario to find this stuff and was pretty disappointed, oh well, no harm done, it was in Canadian exchange so it was pretty cheap.

2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Good appearance for a macro. Almost fools you. Deep red colour with a 1 finger head that lasts. Weak smell. Mildly sweet and spicy. If the smell was more prominent, a higher score would be deserved. What I did smell was good, but too weak. Fairly good taste. Sweet and malty, with a little floral hops. Not enough to balance perfectly, but enough hops to let you know an attempt was made. Refreshing mouthfeel and drinkable. A very good beer, considering the source(Molson).

3.47/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this while killing time at the Delta Montreal hotel bar....

Pouring with a coppery body and a thin tan head, this beer smells faintly of sweet malt, with no discernable hops. Tastewise, it's a sweet red ale, with a caramel flavor and no bitterness. Mouthfeel is a bit dry.

Overall, a decent red ale, but just decent, nothing remarkable here. But not bad, it's certainly better than your average hotel bar beer.

2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

An alright beer from a Macro... well I think this beer is very drinkable and smooth. It appears an amber slightly copper brown haze over it with a highly carbonated white creamy textured head. It smells of a caramel malt sweetness, and there is really no dominate hop character present here. The flavors are a nutty caramel slightly dry finish that is overall very sweet and drinkable. Nothing amazing here but very good session brew available only in Canada, so between the tap version and the bottle version a reasonable go to while looking for a better selection. Lighter to medium body with a lighter watery texture that is very drinkable and refreshing.

3.45/5  rDev +11.3%

had on tap at several establishments, also in 341mL bottles on occasion. Reddish colour darker than most common canadian brews. I'm afflicted with minor allergies that keep my nose stuffy so I can't really give an opinion on that front. The taste is thicker and carries some body that is lacking in many other molson or labatt brews.
Overall a good beer for nights of pleasurable drinking.

2.06/5  rDev -33.5%

Tried this brew at the Mondial de la BiƩre in Montreal this past summer. A very light tasting red likened to a milder version of Killian's or Shea's.

firstprev| 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next → last