Carling Black Label Extra Old Stock | Molson Coors Canada

Added by 67cuda on 10-05-2005

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

2.38/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

341ml bottle. Upon opting for this from the scant choices in the beer fridge at the dive bar where I awaited my girlfriend for our anniversary (we met there), the two older gentlemen (ok, barflies) whooped approvingly that I was picking an 'old standard'. Good to be part of the gang, at least temporarily, I suppose.

This beer pours a very clear, pale, pale golden straw colour, with two fingers of puffy, loosely foamy, and fizzy bone-white head, which settles quickly, leaving a jagged ring of sudsy lace around the old-school mug.

It smells of generic fruity corn mash, a touch of grainy malt, perfumed floral hops, and a bit of plastic/metallic astringency. The taste is sweet mushy corn grits, stale, overripe apples, a further mere suggestion of grainy malt, floral, dead grassy, and weedy hops, and a sugary alcohol edginess.

The carbonation is quite alive and kicking, but mostly in an innocuously frothy sense, the body medium-light in weight, a tad watery, and pretty much cloying in its weak-form smoothness. It finishes off-dry, with a warm, smoothly sugary, and weakening tainted graininess.

Easy enough to drink, I suppose, for the style (though malt liquor seems a bit overwrought a denomination for this particular offering) and yet too clingy to enjoy at length, I would imagine. Sorry, fellas, my gal and I are off and away, after paying our due respects to this gin joint, to see the better beer purveyors of our fair burg about a horse.

3.52/5  rDev +18.9%

This beer pours a pale yellow color, with a small, quickly-dissipated white head. The color is fairly standard for malt liquor, the not-so-delicious shade of yellow. The smell was much better than other malt liquors I've tried, it smelled like caramelized malt with a small amount of alcohol, much more mild than others I've smelled. I found the taste to be fairly balanced, the malt wasn't too strong, and there was still a noticeable taste of hops present. The mouthfeel was decent, nothing terribly exciting, but not bad either. I found it to be quite drinkable, though unfortunately its not like I can get more very easily, since I don't think they sell it in the US. I believe this beer may be O'Keefe's Extra Old Stock but now renamed to Carling Black Label to fit in with Molson's other beers.

2.82/5  rDev -4.7%

Clear, dull yellow appearance with minimal head that slowly disappears. Smell is sweet with a strong hint of corn and apples.

Taste is sweet with a hint of apples and vegetables. Picked up some corn and grainy hops. This is all surprisingly light for a malt liquor, couldn't tell if this was a macro-lager at first. Light to medium bodied with high carbonation. Aftertaste is very sweet.

Overall, this is a strange brew. Very light tasting, but seems like it's loaded with sugar (like other malt liquors). Nonetheless, it's unbalanced and not upset that it's retired.

2.75/5  rDev -7.1%

3.3/5  rDev +11.5%

Probably based on the classic okeef Canadian stock ale.

A-clear and golden, pours with a nice head but only leaves a thin ring of retention.

S- hints of sweet grain and floral hops.

T- pleasant grain with a light sweetness, hints of underlying hops (floral, grassy and a bit of earth), gentle bitterness.

M-smooth moderate body with an off dry finish.

O- This old school stock ale has stood the test of time.

2.75/5  rDev -7.1%

3.75/5  rDev +26.7%

3.1/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Clear gold with a wimpy, weak head.

S - Sweet with apples and a light hoppiness.

T- Typical macro-ish flavour, some veggies and apple.

M - Typically fizzy and yellow.

D - Basic macro-ish malt liquor. Drinkable and inoffensive. Obviously not flavourful.

2.59/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Carling Black Label Extra Old Stock from Molson Coors Canada