Rickard's Dark | Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada
Ontario, Canada
molson.com

Style: English Porter

Brewed in the style of English porters, Rickard's Dark is creamy with a smooth finish that holds just a hint of pure Quebec maple syrup.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-20-2009

1.25/5  rDev -57.8%

1.46/5  rDev -50.7%

After this experience, I am going to have to revisit Rickard's Red. Red used to be my go to beer before I discovered actual beer. My host at a party had Mill St. and this. I never had the Dark, so I've tried.
It was awful.
Watered down, filth tasting something with added metal flavour to boost. An embarrassment for Rickard's. One of the few beers I actually had to pour down the drain - perhaps the fourth beer I ever had to do this with.

1.7/5  rDev -42.6%

Ran out of homebrew at a BBQ, so someone passed me one of these. Claims to be a maple porter, sounds good. When all else fails I drink their white beer at bars that have no craft. Pours a dark brown with a moderate head that isn't lacing or lasting. Can't say I am surprised by that. The aroma is enjoyable enough a bit of sweetness there.

As for the taste? Unbalanced and cloying as fuck. Wow. Didn't see this coming. I guess maple means Aunt Jemima poured into a dark coloured beer that has no roasted or malt character. I can't tell if there is bitterness. Mrs. Butterworth is kicking the shit out of my mouth. There is nothing porter-like about the flavour. There is little maple, just cloying fake sweetness... This is horrible. I can't drink this after 5 bottles of oatmeal stout? My palate should be shot but instead I want to pour this all over shitty boxed pancake mix so it can meet its equivalent... Damn it. I finished it to be polite but I was contemplating kicking it over more than once.

Mouthfeel? Save the fact there is vomit mixed with the beer? Very strong carbonation. Drinkability? Take a guess.

1.85/5  rDev -37.5%

I can't believe I used to think this stuff was good beer

Mm delicious porter. Will it be better than Labatts?

Pours a clear dark red, no real brown, very thin off white head forms and quickly settles down to a fizzy ring, no lace and disappears pretty quickly.

Smell is similar to Labatts porter, vegetables and cola, some garbage, lightly sweet, brown sugar, very clean and lager like, corn, maybe a bit of chocolate, not good.

Taste is similar, sweet, lightly malty, caramel and corn, very light maple, brown sugar, a bit of fruit, sweet in the finish, basically the opposite of a porter.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation, too high for me. Wow. I would like to meet the geniuses who thought this one up.

2.07/5  rDev -30.1%

Poured from the can into an imperial pint glass... It's a crystal clear dark brown / mahogany - more brown ale than porter in color, with a two-finger off-white head that recedes but manages some slight retention. Aroma is of very slight roastiness (perhaps I'm imagining it) and a ton of caramel malt. Taste is more of the heavy caramel malt with a super / ridiculous sweet finish. The can reads "smooth finish that holds just a hint of Quebec maple syrup" - more like a friggin boatload of maple syrup! This stuff is so sweet with absolutely zero hop character its very tough to drink all 473mL. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and kinda creamy... drinkability = no thanks!

2.17/5  rDev -26.7%

On a ski trip in Whistler, the liquor store had limited availability and since the 6-packs were a whopping $15, I had to get a 12-pk just because they were only $27. And what's worse, the US-CAN exchange rate is virtually even, so no "built-in discount."

There were a few mixed samplers and ended up with Rickard's because my family loves White Ales, the Porter with Maple Syrup appealed to me, and I figured someone would want the Reds (one of my least favorite styles next to Ambers, and, oddly, Helles).

I was apprehensive about the "porter" because of the name, Dark, as well as the color depicted on the box--a chestnut red hue. Lo and behold, the beer poured just that. Too light on the dark-roasted malts, or worse, some caramel coloring? Call this a regular Brown Ale and it's fine, but call it an English style porter and I call bullshit. And where's this maple syrup of which they speak? Not happening. I guess I should be grateful it didn't reek of artificial maple flavoring.

After a hard day's skiing, any beer will do including this one, but I wouldn't order it by choice. Additionally, after drinking a Dark and a White, I discovered Rickard's is an imprint of Molson. At first I felt had, then I thought--too bad they can't make a good beer even if they tried. Let's put it this way, the Richard's White is no MolsonCoors Blue Moon.

Hey Rickard, take off you Hoser.

2.2/5  rDev -25.7%

Bottle: Poured a clear medium brown color ale with a fizzy small head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma consists of light roasted malt with no bitterness and lightly sweet adjunct dominated malt profile. Taste is also a mix between some light caramel with faint roasted malt. Body is way too thin for style with medium carbonation. Pointless.

2.2/5  rDev -25.7%

On Tap:

Puts a transparent clear dark brown liquid in the glass. Weak head vanishes in a minute, weak lacing on the glass.

Aroma dominated with sweetness: sharp adjunct dextrins, light roastiness, hops undetectable.

Up front taste has some grains but is dominated again by adjunct sweetness, weak body, thin mouth feel, fast tasteless finish...no dryness just a touch of sweet and roast grain. Where are the hops?

Thin, weak, uninspired, poor representation of the style, Basically disappointing and pointless.

2.25/5  rDev -24%

2.25/5  rDev -24%

2.36/5  rDev -20.3%

This is so far from a porter, very much a "safe" beer. Non offensive, but does have some very nice maply syrup tasting notes. Dark brown in colour and not a lot of aroma but aroma is sweet with maple. Taste is again maple syrup with some malt. Beer is an easy drinking macro with really nothing of note or notable characteristics.

2.44/5  rDev -17.6%

2.45/5  rDev -17.2%

500 mL can in recent mixed pack (don't have the exact date, but fresh.)

A - Medium brown with a small, rapidly dissipating and almost white head. On the pale side for a porter but not shocking.

S - Sweet malts, hint of roast malt, and perhaps (?) a tiny bit of noble hop aroma.

T - Massive worty sweetness, what the heck? The finish is a little better, with mellow chocolate malt and a smallish dose of hop bitterness.

M - Pretty thin, above-average carbonation.

O - Not at all to porter style. A mediocre, overly sweet brown ale that doesn't really come together.

Rickard's Dark from Molson Coors Canada