Carling Black Label

Gots
SCORE
Poor
Carling Black LabelCarling Black Label
Notes: A contemporary lager beer with a light, crisp, refreshing aroma and taste.
Reviews: 74 | Ratings: 213
3.88/5  rDev +59.7%

12 ounce can into lager glass, best before 11/11/2019. Pours fairly crystal clear pale golden yellow color with a 1 finger fairly dense and fluffy white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of lemon, cracker, white bread dough, and lightly toasted biscuit; with lighter notes of corn, wood, pale malt/grains, and light-moderate earthy hop notes; with solid strength, Taste of lemon, cracker, white bread dough, and lightly toasted biscuit; with lighter notes of corn, wood, peppercorn, and herbal/floral/grassy earthiness. Light-moderate herbal, floral, woody, grassy, peppery bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of lemon, cracker, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, wood, peppercorn, and herbal/floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Great robustness and balance of pale malt/grains, and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and no astringent hop flavors after the finish. Fairly crisp/clean finishing. Very clean on lager flavors, minimal fruity/yeasty notes. Medium-plus carbonation and light-medium body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy, and fairly sticky mouthfeel that is great. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 5%. Overall this is a delicious pale adjunct lager! All around great robustness and balance of pale malt/grains, and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink with the mellowly bitter/drying finish. Very flavorful and not watery for the ABV. Great clean pils malt/grain showcase, and great noble hop presence/balance for the style. Mild on adjuncts. A really enjoyable offering, and outstanding style example. One of the best AAL I have had for sure.

3.33/5  rDev +37%

Happy CANada Day, hosers! Take off, eh? This is one of my FAVORITE holidays of the year since it provides me with the impetus to a) drink CANned CANadian beer ISO The CANQuest (tm); b) watch hockey (either pre-recorded games or movies, like "Slapshot"; c) watch "Strange Brew"; d) eat some beaver & e) parade nekkid in the street while waving a CANdian flag. 2017 was their 150th Anniversary so I pulled out all of the stops, using sparklers & firecrackers as accoutrements, which was attention-getting, to say the least. The local CANstabulary was bemused & amused as they led me away, but I was less-than-thrilled with the 1st & 2nd degree burns, especially to my sensitive bits! Needless to say, I have scaled back since then.

A BIG "THANK YOU!" to my local, in-person trading partner, @tone77 , for providing me with a buncha beers for today's CANebration! He said that many of them will take me back to the early days of The CANQuest (tm), when AALs were the standard & the norm. No matter! Today, we CANebrate & inebriate! Cheers to our CANuck neighbors!

This beer really takes me back. It was ~ 1969 & my late-Pops was a hardcore unionist working at the now-defunct ALCOA plant. A strike was in the offing & so a meeting was held at my parents' house to decide a course of action. My 'rents, while not teetotalers, were not big imbibers so alcohol consumption was kind of a rarity. I was ~ 4 y/o at the time & curious, so when somebody offered me a sip from their CAN of Carling Black Label, Pops nodded in assent & I partook for the first time in my life. I CAN only remember being astounded by the bitterness of the hops just before I dropped the CAN from my hands, spilling it all over the carpet. Uproarious laughter ensued, except from Pops, who promptly escorted me to bed. LOL.

I had "O CANada" playing on YouTube as I Crack!ed open the vent to begin this momentous CANebration.

This reminds me of another story. I was a Plankowner aboard the USS Normandy (CG-60) in 1989 & when we opened the Staten Island Naval Shipyard in late-1990, I was a fixture at Rangers games @MSG. It was easy - flash my active duty ID, pay a pittance & sit in the infamous Blue Seats where the action happened. Beer was a given & if I got there early enough to where they were not sold out, a potato knish. Profanity was the native tongue up there & cocaine was openly snorted, but those are tales for another time. On this night, the TOR Maple Leafs were in town, necessitating the singing of both the U.S. & CANadian national anthems. I know the latter in both English et Français so I was singing along when I suddenly registered the voices behind me. Right tune, wrong words, or so I thought. After the anthems were done & we were seated, I donned my Curious Cat suit & turned to ask the guys behind me as to what had transpired. They were Spanish-speaking Latinos of Puerto RiCAN descent who had grown up in Hell's Kitchen & were lifelong Rangers fans. They had been to so many games that they sing the national anthems in SPANISH! I sat back, flabbergasted.

Onward! I went with a nice, free-flowing Glug since this was such an auspicious ocCANsion, leading to the foamy formation of two-plus fingers of fizzy, foamy, rocky-bone-(Great) white (North) head, but with only moderate retention. 8=( Color was a pretty Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with CANadian-quality clarity & now The Gelt Gang of Midas, Mammon & Croesus appeared to join the CANadian CANebration! Whotta party. Nose was actually not bad, when rating to style.

The adjunct that mars most, if not all, AALs is the inclusion of corn. I have loved Fritos corn chips since Kindergarten when I first had them as a snack, but I do NOT like the taste of corn in beer. It is an extender that traces its roots to illicit beer being made during Prohibition when anything & everything was fair game as far as ingredients were CANcerned.

Yes, there was a corn aspect to the nose, but I have encountered FAR worse with some like opening a bag of the aforementioned Fritos! 8=p This was on the low end of that f**ked-up spectrum. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was more innocuous than anything else. It was light in flavor to the point that adjuncts were more of an afterthought than something with which to be CANcerned. I was kind of surprised at just how flavorless this seemed to me to be. My palate, as a self-avowed, self-described hophead, seemed to have evolved to the point that AALs are rendered simply ethereal. Not bad, just not destined for Guy Fieri's "Flavortown". Finish was crisp, dry & refreshing on this hot, hazy, humid CANada Day, which is just what they were shooting for. Sure, it's a flawed beer, but the style itself is flawed. Remember, Rate to Style & NOT to Taste, boys & girls!

3.23/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a very pale straw color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains, light sweetness. Taste is of malts, corn, light sweetness. Feels light bodied in the mouth and overall it ain't bad at this price point, and would probably be very refreshing most of the time, but it's a brutally cold February night in Ontario.

2.02/5  rDev -16.9%

A fairly popular lager in my youth although at that time Red Cap ale was more popular (on tap) in London Ontario. I had this beer years ago after living in Germany for several months we travelled to England on a holiday and popped into a local for a pint. I noticed that they had Carling on tap and asked the barkeep if it similar to the Canadian Carling Black Label , he said that it was the same but brewed in Britain. I had a pint and was amazed that it had a continental flavour and tasted not at all like the Canadian Black Label, it was better.
But this is the Canadian brewed Black Label and this is a pretty basic macro American/Canadian adjunct lager. It looks, smells and tastes like a macro American/Canadian adjunct lager similar to all the other Canadian Macro lagers I may drink it on tap if it is the only thing there on tap but I won't be buying it in bottles or cans again! It is a cheap beer but I'd rather spend another 20 to 25 cents per can for a better European lager.

I had this beer years agi and never again. It had such a bad flavor. It literally tasted like the can. I finished only one beer but barely. I have a rule I can't dump a beer but I almost with this beer. The only thing I can say is that if you can find this beer, I don't think it is distributed in the USA anymore, it is usually dirt cheap. Run away from this beer.

1.21/5  rDev -50.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This 'fine' beer tastes like aluminum. Even when in a glass bottle. So, if a soft, malleable yet determined, metallic taste is what you are after .... And, the price is oh-so-right. So, go ahead and fill the trunk. The mother-in-law is coming over for the weekend.

4.18/5  rDev +72%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Carling Black Label is an old Canadian standard.

For many years it featured commercials with the line: Hey Mabel! Black Label.

473ml can. 4.7% alc. No mention of ingredients or IBUs.

Poured into a glass. Thick white head. Lots of bubbles. Light golden colour.

Smell: Faint hops, grains, malted barley, white bread. All very subtle.

Taste: Grains, malted barley, white bread, hops. Like the smell, all very faint.

The beer is light bodied and the mouthfeel is crisp, dry and refreshing.

This beer is not unlike Pabst, Coors Banquet, or other American/Canadian-style Lager beers.

For the style it's very well done. It would be great on hot days, at barbecues, picnics.

2.64/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Carling Black Label from Molson Coors, bought a 12 can for 14,99$

Look: Yellow cleat golden color. Lots of carbonation.

Smell: Corn and sweet sugar.

Taste: Corny sweet taste with a cardboard and a grainy aftertaste.

Feel: Goes down really easy. Light to medium body. Medium to heavy carbonation.

So overall would I recommend it? Sure, nice budget beet.

2.14/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Tallboy can from TBS; dated Feb 26 2016 and served slightly chilled. Listed at 4.7%, this is the first time I've seen Black Label being sold in this part of Ontario in recent memory. One of those regional beers I suppose.

Pours a clear, pale straw-yellow colour, topped off with two fingers of fizzy white froth that proceeds to vanish over the next 60 seconds or so. Cotton candy, corn syrup and corn husk on the nose. Very unappealing.

Drinkable, but that's the strongest compliment I'm willing to offer. Sweet and super corny. Corn husk, corn bread, corn syrup. Soggy cardboard and a grainy, dirty aftertaste. Light body with a fizzy, crisp aftertaste that at least helps scrub away the nasty flavour. There are some value brand lagers that I can tolerate and even appreciate, but this is not one of them.

Final Grade: 2.14, an awful D-. Black Label is Molson's answer to beers like Lucky Lager and Old Milwaukee. It is total swill, with its only redeeming quality being the cheap price - but even for 2 bucks a can, there are at least a handful of more respectable options that I'd recommend long before this one, including Old Style Pilsner and regular Carling Lager. An old school "legacy lager", but definitely one of the worst beers in that category. I would take this over Lucky Lager or any Minhas product, but that's where the favourable comparisons stop.

3.64/5  rDev +49.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Surprised this beer isn't rated higher. Not a big fan of Molson/coors but I genuinely enjoyed this beer.

Poured into a frosted traditional pint glass.

Look(4): Straw color, maybe slightly darker than average. Half finger of foam lasts for about 3 minutes. Slight bubbles remain on glass for the remainder.
Smell(3):Malt, grain and a little sweetness. The smell is the weakest point of this beer, but it's not undesirable.
Taste(3.75):Flavor resembles smell, some hops that make their way past the smell, slightly bitter but it depends on the person tasting it I suppose. Goes down smooth.
Feel(4.25): Crisp, delicious.
Overall(3.75) One of the better beers of this style. Judging by what everyone else has to say I suppose you either love it or hate it. This is one of those beers that's an enigma to me. It's delicious and refreshing, yet most people have never heard of it.

2.57/5  rDev +5.8%

Not a great beer. Picked up a 6 pack out of boredom for about $7.00. I can't give a decent rating for appearance as I drank it out of the can with my friend in them middle of a field. That being said, the can itself looks pretty greasy and slum-ish, hence the low rating. Smells like sweet corn and bubbly water. Just as I expected. Tastes the same as it smells. A beer that can't be reviewed in depth because it has none. That being said, this isn't that bad. It's a cheap beer that i'm sure most people can stomach and fill their coolers with in the summer.

Drinkable, but not entirely likable.

2.62/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 ounce can poured into a snifter.
The beer is a golden yellow color with a weak white head of foam.

Light body and medium+ carbonation.

The aroma is light, sweet and grainy .
Flavor: weak but OK. Lightly sweet with faint hops and corn. Poor aftertaste.

2.46/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a straw color with a slight head and lacing
A-Aroma has lemongrass hints
T-The taste follows the nose with a lemongrass flavor
M-A light bodied well carbonated beer
O-A decent lager

2.85/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Curiosity got the best of me and Black Label made it to the top of my to-do list. When making the purchase the older male cashier asked "Black label? Do you normally drink that." I knew I was in for something unusual with a reputation I had no idea about.

Opening the box the bottles were dusty, making it obvious this isn't a go to beer for the average beer drinker. I cracked the bottle and poured it into a glass. Very light yellow colour, not much foam, carbonation okay, and smells cheap.

First sip and my conclusion, not too bad. For the price there's a lot worse out there. I had no struggle getting through the case, in fact the only reason I haven't bought this again is because I have to drive out of my way to get it at the beer store. Not carried at all locations. I don't know why, compared to all the other discount beers out there Black Label is pretty damn good.

Good for summer BBQ's, relaxing watching the game, any occasion where you just want a decent beer. Can't go wrong for the price!

2.36/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours a piss poor yellow colour. Thin foamy head. Smells ol wet grain. Tastes like malt, corn syrup and cardboard. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. But what do you expect from a budget beer? It's bland but it's drinkable. I wouldn't pay for it, but I wouldn't turn it down at a party.

4.66/5  rDev +91.8%

Poured into a frosted 16 oz glass. Very thick head, golden brown in appearance. Smell is not at all offensive. Very little hops, somewhat grainy flavor. Overall, one of the best value beers I've tasted. Would highly recommend this for an inexpensive drink with a nice flavor. I drank about 16-20 of these in my first sitting, with 5% ABV I was highly intoxicated but I couldn't stop myself. Be careful, Carling Canada's Black Label is impossible to put down.

4.84/5  rDev +99.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My prefered. It's a beer for real man enjoy a real beer, strong like a men, gente=le like a gentlemen, not a women beer, only for biker, or rocker man. Not for woossy or pussy just a beer for a man want to drink a beer to be satisfing is taste, and no after taste. You will be appetite for destrustion after it, and gently resolved after...THE BEST ONE!!!!

3.35/5  rDev +37.9%

A beer my Dad used to enjoy, back in the day. Picked up a case of 12 oz cans in Carlisle, PA. It's a warm, humid day and this is a beer that goes down easy. Has a good taste, makes me want to reach for another. This is one of my favorite American adjunct lagers....and that's a good thing.

3.7/5  rDev +52.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Carling Black Label has a thick, white head, a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, and some lacing left behind on the glass. The aroma is standard: grain husks, sweetness, and straight-up beer. Taste is the same: sweet grain, sourness, a touch of bitter, some bite, and "that beer flavor". Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Carling Black Lager finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and very dry. Some metallic taste shows up, which is usually the case with canned beer, regardless of what is claimed by the major media. Overall, I think this is a very good beer and it should pair well with a burger and fries. Check it out, if you ever run across it.

RJT

2.8/5  rDev +15.2%

This isn't the best beer but it is known as a budget beer. It has a taste of malt and smells like it. It pours a goldy yellow color and is less liquid than water and taste better than most beers. Overall this is an ok beer if you don't want a lot of beer and you want to pay a ok price.

2.93/5  rDev +20.6%

A- Pale golden. Very clear. Head is two fingers and white. Only a slick retains. Meh, a little better looking than most BMC stuff.
S- The aroma is fairly clean, and there's just not much there. Some stale grain.
T- Clean sweetness up front. The flavor is fairly mild but not altogether bad. A bit of corn/adjunct/off flavor in the finish.
M- Standard body for style. Carb is a bit smoother though.
O- It is what is. It's not the worst beer out there.

4.55/5  rDev +87.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

My favorite beer, HANDS DOWN! I'm an archivist, a historian, a citizen preserving the best of the past within a seamless tapestry of the present. Carling Black Label is a "golden light lager with a subtle hint of hops." Delicious in every respect, CBL is IT! Go to your local watering hole and say, "Tell me about IT!" Then, drink IT!

UPDATE: I grabbed two cans of the Canadian variety while in Ontario. EXCELLENT! Strong taste that drew me right in. Go buy MANY NOW!

2.11/5  rDev -13.2%

Notes are from a fresh can taken home from a party yesterday afternoon and drunk (and subsequently poured out) this afternoon.

This is a pale gold, a bit deeper and darker than straw. A half finger of white foam serves as the head for a few seconds and then leaves a remainder along the edge of the glass that leaves a few spots of lacing.
TGhe problem with some AALs is that there's simply nothing to them. That's not so bad as the ones that are actually offensive. This one leans toward the former, fortunately.
The aroma is completely nondescript and barely detectable. Grains, very light notes of malt and a lame sweetness is pretty much it.
The flavor is about the same with the addition of a very light dose of hops that is so light that it attempts bitter and just ends up adding another element in the flavor. At least it has that going for it, although "musty" isn't the greatest attribute. Regardless, more comes through than on the nose for sure.
The mouthfeel isn't that bad for the style; it is light and a little slick, but it's crisp and it does its job pretty much as demanded. It's what the BMC crowd expects.
I drank enough to review this thing, then it was down the drain.

3.54/5  rDev +45.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass
A: Moderate pour yields 1 finger of rocky snow white head with poor retention. Crystal clear very pale yellow liquid. Very carbonated. Better retention and darker yellow color with less fizz would be appreciated.
S: Corn, bread, noble hops. Slight metallic aroma. Fairly nice.
T: Fairly mild and balanced. Tasty but slight metallic flavor detracts. Nothing bad, nothing great.
M: A bit too fizzy.
D: Could drink a few of these. I wouldn't buy, but wouldn't pass one up if offered.

2.11/5  rDev -13.2%

My friend, knowing my love of good beer, got me a 6-pack of these for my birthday... As a joke of course.

It looks like any other pale lager. Nothing exciting, but not unappealing. There is hardly any aroma to speak of. It's mainly a sweet grainy smell. It tastes like water with some malt flavour added. It has a kind of nice buttery thing going on though. The intense carbonation makes it slightly acidic.

Not a very good beer. I wouldn't even buy this if money was tight. There are many other cheap beers that are better than this.

Carling Black Label from Molson Coors Canada