Carling Black Label | Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada
Ontario, Canada
molson.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

A contemporary lager beer with a light, crisp, refreshing aroma and taste.

Added by Shiloh on 02-17-2003

Liked:
2.42/5
Alströms:

4.84/5  rDev +100%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My prefered. It's a beer for real man enjoy a real beer, strong like a men, gente=le like a gentlemen, not a women beer, only for biker, or rocker man. Not for woossy or pussy just a beer for a man want to drink a beer to be satisfing is taste, and no after taste. You will be appetite for destrustion after it, and gently resolved after...THE BEST ONE!!!!

4.66/5  rDev +92.6%

Poured into a frosted 16 oz glass. Very thick head, golden brown in appearance. Smell is not at all offensive. Very little hops, somewhat grainy flavor. Overall, one of the best value beers I've tasted. Would highly recommend this for an inexpensive drink with a nice flavor. I drank about 16-20 of these in my first sitting, with 5% ABV I was highly intoxicated but I couldn't stop myself. Be careful, Carling Canada's Black Label is impossible to put down.

4.55/5  rDev +88%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

My favorite beer, HANDS DOWN! I'm an archivist, a historian, a citizen preserving the best of the past within a seamless tapestry of the present. Carling Black Label is a "golden light lager with a subtle hint of hops." Delicious in every respect, CBL is IT! Go to your local watering hole and say, "Tell me about IT!" Then, drink IT!

4.18/5  rDev +72.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Carling Black Label is an old Canadian standard.

For many years it featured commercials with the line: Hey Mabel! Black Label.

473ml can. 4.7% alc. No mention of ingredients or IBUs.

Poured into a glass. Thick white head. Lots of bubbles. Light golden colour.

Smell: Faint hops, grains, malted barley, white bread. All very subtle.

Taste: Grains, malted barley, white bread, hops. Like the smell, all very faint.

The beer is light bodied and the mouthfeel is crisp, dry and refreshing.

This beer is not unlike Pabst, Coors Banquet, or other American/Canadian-style Lager beers.

For the style it's very well done. It would be great on hot days, at barbecues, picnics.

3.83/5  rDev +58.3%

This is a very good beer. It pours a clear golden yello colour into the glass with very little head. The aroma has a malty, earthy aroma...nothing spectacular. The mouthfeel is silky smooth and crisp with some mild carbonation that grabs the tongue in all the right places. The taste is that of a full bodied beer with a malty grainy flavour that lasts through the entire glass. Like the majority of macro lagers in North America, this beer is best enjoyed cold.

3.75/5  rDev +55%

3.75/5  rDev +55%

3.7/5  rDev +52.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Carling Black Label has a thick, white head, a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, and some lacing left behind on the glass. The aroma is standard: grain husks, sweetness, and straight-up beer. Taste is the same: sweet grain, sourness, a touch of bitter, some bite, and "that beer flavor". Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Carling Black Lager finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and very dry. Some metallic taste shows up, which is usually the case with canned beer, regardless of what is claimed by the major media. Overall, I think this is a very good beer and it should pair well with a burger and fries. Check it out, if you ever run across it.

RJT

3.64/5  rDev +50.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Surprised this beer isn't rated higher. Not a big fan of Molson/coors but I genuinely enjoyed this beer.

Poured into a frosted traditional pint glass.

Look(4): Straw color, maybe slightly darker than average. Half finger of foam lasts for about 3 minutes. Slight bubbles remain on glass for the remainder.
Smell(3):Malt, grain and a little sweetness. The smell is the weakest point of this beer, but it's not undesirable.
Taste(3.75):Flavor resembles smell, some hops that make their way past the smell, slightly bitter but it depends on the person tasting it I suppose. Goes down smooth.
Feel(4.25): Crisp, delicious.
Overall(3.75) One of the better beers of this style. Judging by what everyone else has to say I suppose you either love it or hate it. This is one of those beers that's an enigma to me. It's delicious and refreshing, yet most people have never heard of it.

3.61/5  rDev +49.2%

A regular lager with an easy drinking taste.

3.57/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.55/5  rDev +46.7%

i like this beer for a cheap beer

3.54/5  rDev +46.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass
A: Moderate pour yields 1 finger of rocky snow white head with poor retention. Crystal clear very pale yellow liquid. Very carbonated. Better retention and darker yellow color with less fizz would be appreciated.
S: Corn, bread, noble hops. Slight metallic aroma. Fairly nice.
T: Fairly mild and balanced. Tasty but slight metallic flavor detracts. Nothing bad, nothing great.
M: A bit too fizzy.
D: Could drink a few of these. I wouldn't buy, but wouldn't pass one up if offered.

3.5/5  rDev +44.6%

3.5/5  rDev +44.6%

3.35/5  rDev +38.4%

A beer my Dad used to enjoy, back in the day. Picked up a case of 12 oz cans in Carlisle, PA. It's a warm, humid day and this is a beer that goes down easy. Has a good taste, makes me want to reach for another. This is one of my favorite American adjunct lagers....and that's a good thing.

3.33/5  rDev +37.6%

I used to drink Carling in the UK while stationed in the Air Force and I wanted it again. But, after a long query with distributors, I came to the sad conclusion that this beer was unavailable to me down here in SC. But then, some friends of mine told me they were taking a road trip to Canada, so I asked them to grab me some and sure enough they returned with a case of bottles !

The taste is simple, reminds me of apple butter on a saltine cracker, finishes dry and crisp leaving you ready for another sip.

If anyone else in the Charlotte area goes to Canada, I'll pay for a case of Carling Black Label.

3.3/5  rDev +36.4%

First of all, the Carling Black Label I just had came in a red can with a similar design to the bottle I saw of Black Label 8.0%. Looking at other reviews, there seems to be some disparity over which brewer makes this. My can was made by G. Heileman Brewing Co. in Milwaukee, a subsidiary of Stroh's, which sold out to Miller in 1999, I believe. This is not a Canadian beer, contrary to what the big maple leaf on the can would have you believe.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I'm not a big fan of the macro lager but every now and then they are refreshing and this was the one beer at the bar at work (ski resort) that I had never had before.

A: Deeper golden than most macros, very clear, fairly small head recedes quickly with no lacing. Not the worst looking beer I've ever seen.

S: Very mild...doesn't reek of corn and this particular one had not skunkiness (some other reviewers seem to). Not overly appetizing but a leg up on most macros whose smells make me recoil in horror.

T: Taste was mild and not at all complex, but definitely one of the best macros I've had in a while. Has a little "real" beer flavor while avoiding metallic tastes (even from the can), skunkiness, or heavy corn/cereal flavors. Slightly bitter as it warms, but with little aftertaste. Again, not the best, but drinkable for me.

M: I was pleasantly surprised again here. It wasn't horrifyingly over-carbonated, and it didn't seem as watery as other macros.

D: I didn't hurt that it was quite cold or that I was tired, sore, and thirsty from teaching snowboard lessons all day, but I daresay I would drink one of these again (if my options were only macros). This is one of the best (in my humble opinion) examples of a style that is generally terrible. (Best of the worst?)

3.29/5  rDev +36%

Found one of these in my friends fridge recently. Was shocked to say the least. This is one of those people who wouldn't be caught dead drinking from a can. He quickly backtracked and explained "it's my go-to beer pong beer." That I can attest to.

If you like cheap and drinkable beer that still has some sort of taste and substance, this is definitely for you. While it has the characteristics of macro lager written all over it, it just has that little extra quality that makes you say "hey this isn't half bad." Definitely its best and most prominent quality is the drinkability. It better be smooth and easy drinking if its going to be someones "beer pong beer."

3.29/5  rDev +36%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This can was brewed in Australia.
The beer was pale with a distinctive yellowish hue.The bead was reasonably active but not much in the way of head retention.
Yet another tank water smelling lager , but brightened by a hint of maltiness.
Reasonably bitter and balanced throughout the palate,with some melon flavours right at the end.This balances quite well with the bitterness.
TA rwefreshing distinctive lager that I would drink again

3.25/5  rDev +34.3%