Carling Black Label | Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada
Ontario, Canada
molson.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

A contemporary lager beer with a light, crisp, refreshing aroma and taste.

Added by Shiloh on 02-17-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 65 | Ratings: 187
1.5/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of the clearest non-light beers I have seen. Head doesn't really maintain itself. Smells like stale bread, maybe cardboard, a little astringent. Taste has a fake creamed corn adjunctyness to it. A bit medicinal and cardboard in the finish. Body is lacking. I am always willing to try cheap beers in hopes of finding another PBR or MHL but this certainly wasn't it. Worse than tasteless, this was bad.

2.36/5  rDev -2.1%

How odd that Black Label is in a red can. Hmm...
what can be said about this beer? I had it in the same session as a belgian, so hopefully that won't taint my review too much.
It tastes a little more malty than your average macro brew. Has that classic nasty (skunky?) smell that makes me avoid sniffing macro brews. Doesn't look very good, but taste is average and you can't tell that there is any alcohol in it so you can drink them all night. I would rather drink a local macro than this fake import.

2.1/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured a very pale straw color. Almost clear. It has a very tall light head that took a while to fall and left lace on the glass. Smells slightly yeasty, a little citrusy, and a little moldy. Not too happy with the scent of it. The taste is a little sweet, not bitter at all, finishes fairly clean, though. Tastes like they brewed it with nothing but adjuncts, which wouldn't surprise me, given the (lack of) color. I taste no malt at all. The mouthfeel is a little weak, a little foamy, but not much else. All in all, it's fairly drinkable, mostly because it doesn't have any flavor, but there are plenty of flavorless beers out there that don't smell as bad. I won't be buying it again.

1.51/5  rDev -37.3%

This is truly one of the worst beers I've ever had. Cheap macro junk that I really had a hard time finishing.

The appearance was probably the best feature of this one, and that's not saying a lot. Poured a dark yellow color with heavy carbonation. Thin head that fell fast, and a definitely chemical aroma that was fairly unpleasant.

The taste is macro-corn, with again, that unpleasant chemical sensation that really made this one rough on the palate. Worse by FAR when it gets a little warm, this is one I'd definitely avoid.

If you're poor or already drunk, maybe worth a shot... otherwise, buyer beware, and if you're that hard up grab a Molson Export, a Labatt or even a Budweiser to avoid this stuff. Cheers.

1.1/5  rDev -54.4%

Bottle: Poor fizzy yellow lager with no taste or aroma except for the usual macro corn syrup. Cannot believe that this is the best selling beer in the UK since 1971! You could have thought that they could have done better with the wide array of choice of decent beer (Bass, Bodingtons...)

2.59/5  rDev +7.5%

Black Label got a long story. It used to be brewed by Carling, then O'Keefe before that brewery merge with Molson in the late eighties. Today, it is brewed as economy brand.

Appearance: Dark yellow with two finger head who lasted not too long.

Smell: For what it smells, that's only adjunct aromas. Not cool.

Taste: The flavours are the ones of your typical adjunct lager. Nothing else, except that macro corn taste.

Mouthfeel: Quite watery. It is hard to find something positive here.

Drinkability: Yes, it is cheaper priced and it got the student and blue-collar beer reputation, but they deserve something better.

1.2/5  rDev -50.2%

Ha! I was slumming it last night. Neighbor offered me a cold one, and I was shocked to see that it was the old Black Label. I hadn’t seen this stuff since my college days, and one sip reminded me why. When I can say “I’d rather have Bud”, that’s low.
Appearance: Pale, pale, yellow with a medium-sized, white, fizzy head that didn’t hang around much longer than a soda. Just the slightest bit of lacing early.

Smell: Uh... that typical adjunct stench and not much else.

Taste: Hardly any taste, but what is there is bad. Fizzy water with a tablespoon of beer and a teaspoon of raw sewage would probably taste similar to this. OK the raw sewage is a little harsh to use as a description, but there’s something in there that’s just…. just nasty. Otherwise, the light taste is made up of weak malts, the faintest hints of hops, and a tiny touch of citrus.

Mouthfeel: Typical. Fizzy water.

Drinkability: It was a struggle to put down the last bit of this after it warmed up a bit while talking with the neighbor. Next time I’m offered one of these, I think I’ll pass.

1.06/5  rDev -56%

Mabel, Black Label! *whistle!* Or so the old commercial from the 60's used to go, way before my time. Along with Molson Pilsner and now Big Rock's AGD, Black Label is a standard among the blue collar low paid working class. And I salute them, it's a rough ride to bust your ass every day just to barely scrape by, as I was one of them when I first graduated from art college.

Still, it's not very good beer, all that said and done. Poured from its unmistakable black can and recognizable label, it's clear and pale yellow, quite a bit of carbonation, and it produced a fairly impressive white head ay first. That quickly receded to a wafer thin ring. The aroma is pretty much summed up with the word acrid, plus sickly sweet and pungent come to mind as well. Do not put your nose near this beer. The flavour is a lot mellower, watered down sweet corn and grain, a very caustic texture on the aftertaste, not smooth by any means. The more this warms up, the more flavour it loses, and more additive-riddled sandpaper texture it picks up. If you're going to drink this, it has to be ice cold and out of the can in order to screen out the off-flavours and to prevent any aroma from escaping. May cause trauma.

1.3/5  rDev -46.1%

pours lighter than piss! smell is like a band-aid!, taste is actually not as bad as the smell, cheap shit, all the way! mouthfeel:average carbonated macro, drinkability: for me, only in the most desperate times!(like today).... oh all righty! ...have to have enough characters in this! God forbid! how much can you actually say about this stuff!

2.58/5  rDev +7.1%

--black can, with no freshness date found
--poured a clear, light golden in color. Head was nice but left way too quickly
--The smell was very, very average
Not a very impressive beer. There are many other better session beers if that is what you are looking for. I wouldn't turn it down if a friend offered me one, but I would not purchase again.
Thx

2.57/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours "lager yellow" (potential Crayola color?) with a half inch white head. Smells typically lagerish, with an edge of skunk, typical of these nouveu hip cheap beers. Tastes pretty OK, with a little malty sweetness and more flavor than some other pale lagers. Mouthfell is too full, almost sticky, but I could see downing a couple of these in one sitting, assuming I had no alternative.

1.5/5  rDev -37.8%

So, the other day I caught some punk kids who had smuggled cans of this into my bar, and confiscated the contraband before giving them the bumrush. Why would they need to hide this under their coats, is it because my offerings aren't good enough for them? Is this the holy grail of brews, that has somehow escaped my purview? Let us see...
Appearance: clear and extraordinarily pale, just a shade above invisible, with bubbly bone-white foam above, short in duration.
Aroma: best compared to ripe cardboard, dried lemon peel, dirty socks, and yesterday's urinal cakes.
Taste: None. No, sorry, there's an over-abundance of nothingness, and me, I'm stuck with no way to describe it. I'll try harder...lemonade without the sugar and the lemons..iced tea without the ice and the tea...a moist ghost faintly traveling through the palate, leaving the mind with only a fuzzy, bad memory, and the bladder with another load to bear.
This is the Official Beer for Nihilists, Everywhere. If you believe in Nothing, this is your God.

2.43/5  rDev +0.8%

o.k.,

so this is a shit beer, and I don't deny that for a second..but i have to disagree with the Bros. that it should be avoided, it should only be avoided if you have more than 2$ to spend on beer...
coming home from work today, I decided to stop by the local bodega for something refreshing.. Carling's Black label 40 oz.. so it's trashy, but if the Bros. can profess to love PBR, then I feel confident that i can say this is average beer, nothing out of the ordinary, malt, hops(barely), water and yeast (and some other shit I probably don't want to think about)..I also like it a bit. perhaps its only nostalgia, or perhaps my palate is sooo unrefined, but I don't find myself hating this beer....
and that's as far as I'll go..

yellow, fizzy, some lace, alcohol, and in my subjective experience, not as noxious as some other shit beer.

note. I just saw that this is cross referenced with beers from Brooklyn, Sam Smith's, Victory and Otter Creek. If you are offered a choice, don't be a shmuck, choose anything else...

2.46/5  rDev +2.1%

A below average lager that is in the heritage of American macros. Yellow color that is clear and has a fizzy white head. Leans heavily toward the malts in both nose and taste with a bit of adjuncts thrown in for good measure. Hopping is very light providing little balance. Not a best effort.

3.03/5  rDev +25.7%

An average Canadian lager with a pretty face..Very typical of the major Canadian macro's lager class...Certainly drinkable and refreshing but nothing to distinguish itself from its peers with the exception of its appearance..
Full bodied, slight yeasty aroma and fairly well balanced leaning slightly towards the hops, but ever so.
I am glad we met and hope to again..

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last