Black Ice | Molson Coors Canada

Molson Coors Canada
Ontario, Canada
molson.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

An 'Ice brewed' beer which has a clean, fresh, snappy taste and a mellow aftertaste from the ice - filtering process.

Added by canadianbarman on 02-21-2003

Liked:
2.41/5
Alströms:

Terrible.

1.25/5  rDev -48.1%

1.5/5  rDev -37.8%

1.5/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.75/5  rDev -27.4%

1.84/5  rDev -23.7%

Wish I hadn't. This had one decent taste, the first, after that is was a burden to drink. Another beer that I can cross of the list. I was with some hockey watchers and they had this on ice in cans. Sorry boys, hope it was cheap.

2.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Review # 867 is a special one indeed. This is no milestone.
It is a simple set of numbers, trivial when out of sequence. But in such exact progression they have come to symbolize something, a particular procession that for me will always represent the eighth day, of the sixth month, of the two thousandth and seventh year of our millennium - June 6th, 2007.

That was a sad day, for us all. We lost a friend that day. A coworker very near to us. Someone who made us all laugh, made us all smile, and made most of us say 'BOOM GUY!'
Well Jerry - Yes Sir, there she goes! We got a big game tonight... this one goes out to 'the Bomber'.

Black Ice - "Special Riserva". 355ml can, 6.1% ABV. Bravely poured into a (frosted) mug.

The head is bleached white and appears in all likeness a moldy complexion. It sits on an uneven level, crowned atop by a scuzzy rim of lacing. It seemed at first too anxious, responding greatly off even a modest pour, but has settled now to an acceptable half-finger in size. (Rather accomplishing for Molson). The body is crystal clear, golden hued colour, with numerous streams of bubbles that extent bottom to top.

Adjuncts are altogether too obvious in the aroma - if for no other reason than that no wheat, nor malt, nor hops are present. It is cloying, quite cloying. Adjunct ridden. The sweet nectar of corn syrup...

The palate feels violated. All said and done it is left saturated in those same adjuncts. A viscous, syrupy texture. Thick and almost creamy, the corn syrup shares some commonality to olive oil. It coats the entire mouth. Almost doughy at times. A lot of unpleasant lingering.

The flavour, also, is of corn and adjuncts. It isn't offensive - at least no more than any other Molson lagers. Not overly bitter, it is a bready taste foremost. An odd (and incredibly unpleasant) aftertaste continues to harass my taste buds for a far too prolonged period of time. The finish is dry and rather openly hints at the alcohol as it tends heats the back of the throat and sides of the mouth ever so slightly.

Overall, I found this on par with the Molson lineup. In other words - bad. Pretty bad. Quite bad. Although it should be said: no worse. Par for the course. Ideally.
The extra 1.1% easily went unnoticed behind the terribly distracting adjuncts, which sully the feeling in your mouth. Attractive enough in appearance and the aroma - despite really being more of a 'stench' - avoids ever becoming overly offensive.

I'm not so sure this is the love tonic I was told it was. I'm not even so sure I could enjoy this washing my car under a tree. The 'big boy' might help the ambiance on a romantic dinner setting ... but all said and done I'll just 'Keep On Boomin'

2.09/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

2.13/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

2.2/5  rDev -8.7%

--Regular can, no freshness date on can.
--Poured with a big head that left pretty quickly. An average golden in color.
--Smell was of an average strong beer.
The first sip of this beer was not good at all. After the can was finished it became tolerable. but still nothing I would probably drink again. There are better ice beers out there.
Thx

2.23/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Black Ice from Molson Coors Canada