Mountain Creek Classic Lager

From:
Minhas Craft Brewery

Wisconsin, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Notes:
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 49 | Ratings: 62
2.55/5  rDev +18.6%

My can says Mountain "Crest", but it's brewed by Minhas in Wisconsin. Can design is the same as picture. Confusing, considering it has a Canadian counterpart of some sort, but whatever...what's it's look like? Looks like your basic lager, nothing offensive to note really. The head is super-foamy and super-thick, and the color is piss-yellow with a ton of bubbles rushing to the top. Zero lace.

Aroma is typical--boiled veggies, light caramel corn, straw/hay, corn sugar, faint mineral but not metallic. As average as would be expected.

Flavor-wise I've had worse, in this and other categories. Corn and sugar are the first things that flash across the taste buds. The putrid over-boiled veggie thing that occurs so often in this class of beer is thankfully faint. So, okay, I can believe the "all malt" thing. But there's nothing truly positive to say about it, either, unless "it's not the worst lager ever" can be considered positive. Just not into this.

The mouthfeel pulls all this average-or-below stuff down toward awful territory. bland and light to medium (at best). Not appetizing. By far the worst characteristic of this beer.

This "classic lager" stretches the definition of "classic" to a ludicrous degree, but I'm surprised to have sampled half of it and not yet committed to a drain-pour. In the end I would never buy it (it was sent as comedy relief in a recent trade by my brother mnwags), and by tomorrow, or even in 15 minutes, it'll be out of mind forever.

2.23/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a thin layer of white foam on top.

Smell: Sweetish light pale malt nose with some light, delicate floral hints.

Taste: Light pale malts with a cereal sweetness and a light hint of grain. Floral hops provide an altogether mild bitterness. Grows increasingly watery towards the brief, fleeting finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: This is one pretty poor product. One of a million vapid canned lagers.

1.58/5  rDev -26.5%

From a 12oz can - Pours a clear pale yellow. Not the prettiest beer to look at. No carbonation, very light lacing . Smells of corn and light malt. First sip is almost flavorless. Slight tastes of malts but only slight. Simple with not much going on. Not worth your time or your change.

2.56/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a slightly orange-golden-straw color. Nice off-white head and a semblance of mild retention to boot.
S-Grits and malt w/some faint hops. A bit pungent on the nose.
T&M-Turbo-charged, boozed-up grits. A bit sharp on the sides of the tongue. Body a little heavier than I'd expect for the style, and carbonation is pretty rich.
D-Nothing inherently wrong or flawed, and overall quite drinkable, but I don't particularly care for it. It's a hair better than some macros, and if that's what you like, this beer is a good way to keep it local. As it warms, it's not too bad.

1.95/5  rDev -9.3%

Believe it or not, this can showed up in my mailbox... thanks mom!

Sold here in Saskatchewan as Minhas Creek, Alberta as Mountain Crest, and America as Mountain Creek... I even see a can labelled Lakeshore Creek on 1 of the 3 slightly different websites that this "brewery" maintains. When you have to give your beer 3-4 slightly different names, you know it has got to be DAMN GOOD BEER!!!

A - pale yellow, crystal clear, big old white white head seems to be holding up. Can't comment on any lacing, I didn't bother to drink enough of it.

S - creamed corn, lemon, hay. Aroma is surprisingly strong, and aside from the corn is relatively pleasing for an adjunct lager.

T - Sugary sweet corn. That's it. No malt, no hops, no aftertaste.

M - flabby and syrypy, but smooth. Instant burning sensation down my esophagus and in my stomach, brings back memories of chugging cheap draft in university.

D - This is a pitiful attempt at "beer," but it shockingly has more character and appeal than your typical macro lager. I finished the review, and I still have a mostly full glass... I keep looking at it, but then go back to doing other things.

Awful recipe, but cleanly brewed. Tastes like candied corn in a glass. Maybe we should thank them during these hop deprived times for not wasting any hops whatsoever on this beverage. I'd really like to know how their "gold medalist brew-master ferments only the finest sun-ripened hops and premium malted barley." How the hell do you ferment hops?

I'm not sure how to score this. They claim to not use adjuncts, yet it is all you can taste. As a supposed all-malt lager, it fails miserably, but as an adjunct lager, it scores reasonably well. Just for lying, I'm going to err slightly on the conservative side.

Young Mr Minhas, you may be a fine entrepreneur, and learning about your "company" has been an adventure what with all the zany boasting and confusing brand names, but your beer is terrible.

2.46/5  rDev +14.4%

Yellow fizzy-ish beer that tastes more like Budweiser than anything else I can think of. Kind of a plain Jane. Straw yellow in color, no real detectable aroma. Taste was OK, mouthfeel was a little grainy.

I didn't buy this to drink, actually. I used most of the the six pack making beercan chicken on the grill and in the water pan of my smoker for two pork shoulders.

2.73/5  rDev +27%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can from BuckeyeNation.

Pours a yellow fizzy color wiht just a hint of gold. There are constant fizzy bubbles coming up from the bottom, but only enough to support a thin skim coat and tiny white ring of foam. no lacing to speak of.

Smells like a typical macro lager only a bit sweeter. not a hop to be had in the nose

Taste, for the style, is okay. When i see "classic lager" i think of BMC, and this fits that bill. It is a bit sweeter than those, and not enough (if any) hops in it, but could pass as an aged BMC offering if i had a bit of a buzz going.

Mouthfeel is thin, light, and decently carbonated for the offering.

It is easy to drink, a relatively cheap (from what i gather) lawnmower beer that in a pinch i would choose over a BMC offering if i was hurting for beer money. Not something to seek out, however.

2.83/5  rDev +31.6%

Haystack gold with nothing in the interior except a few streamers of rapidly rising bubbles. Their destination is an off-white head (not quite dingy white) that looks a fraction better than the foam on most macro lagers. A few watery patches of lace make it to the glass.

I won't argue with Minhas when they claim that this beer is adjunct-free. All that matters in the end is that it smells adjuncty (corn, if you want specifics). Not that those who drink it on a regular basis will be smelling it anyway. It's low on power, with a whiff of grain and half a whiff of musty hops.

Mountain Creek Classic Lager is nothing more and nothing less than a sweeter than normal pale lager that tastes like a lower-ABV malt liquor. I wonder if the brewers use sugar to get it to taste like this. It isn't good by any stretch, but at least the sweetness helps to cover over the nastiness. To some extent anyway.

The flavor profile is simple. Gee, couldn't have predicted that. MCCL tastes like sugar-crusted grain, to which has been added a light drizzle of honey and a few random hop cones. I could actually drink this stuff in a pinch and would choose it over most BMC offerings. Especially if it was chilled to within an inch of its life.

The body/mouthfeel is closer to medium than light and is bubbled acceptably enough. It falls apart on the finish, however, achieving wateriness right before the swallow. Again, mouthfeel is probably not a priority for those who choose to guzzle, trying to get a buzz from a dirt-cheap 5.5% beer. Not too fast now, don't sprain your MCCL.

I'm fully aware that Mountain Creek Classic Lager is bottom-of-the-barrel beer that most BAs will slam unmercifully. I think it's decently drinkable, though, and has a certain charm. Especially in the right circumstances and the right frame of mind. That's more than can be said for a lot of what Minhas brews.

2.45/5  rDev +14%

12 oz can poured into a pilsner. pours a standard straw color with a few fingers of white frothy head after a hard pour. no lacings.

aroma is distinctly grainy, with a note of sweet malts, and a stlaeness providing undertones to the grains. the stale character is intriguing coming from a can.

taste is of the same lightly sweet malts, with a suprizingly smooth palate and finish. there is little here as far as profile, but what does appear is refined enough to provide a glimpse of hope.

mouthfeel is light bodied, and resembles water. finishes on a light note of CO2, without much of an aftertaste.

drinkability is decent. for a lager as light as this, a solid smoothness make this one better than some of its fellow brews, though this is still a long ways from a great brew.

1.76/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

I am a fan of Berghoff lager, so I thought this product coming out of Monroe,WI might be a bargain at 1.99/sixer. Looks like you would expect, straw yellow, rocky head that dissipates quickly. Smells like a frat house floor after a kegger. Taste is surprisingly sweet, but not malty goodness sweet, more cloying, syrupy sweet. Mouthfeel is great, very smooth and full, but then you have to swallow. It is hard to convince yourself to take another drink. Might be good for chasing shots at a party.

1.21/5  rDev -43.7%

$7.99 for a case of cans at the Franksville Bank of Liquors(Franksville,WI), the sales pitch by the guy behind the counter was and I kid you not. "Our regulars that like to drink Old Milwaukee buy this now and love it." With a glowing review like that I quickly made my purchase but thought it odd that the case of cans came in 4 plastic ringed 6 packs and on an old jolly good soda cardboard flat. Don't go cursing your bad luck and think that I got the last case at this amazing price. They had 2 pallets about waist high on the store floor so there's still some for you! Better hurry!

Appearance - hazy golden/auburn when poured into a glass, some carbonation.

Smell - Sweet smelling, sort of like a malt liquor but not really. The can's metal odor can also be detected along with corn. It gets more pungent as it warms up.

Taste - Very difficult to put into words. Sweet, metallic, unlike beer, unlike malt liquor. The taste doesn't seem to go away either and it's oooo so bad. After one sip I'm thinking that the clerk at the store laughed after I walked out and I'm now looking at the almost full glass of this stuff and wondering if there's any way on god's green earth that I'll finish it. My two buddies that decided to also go on this adventure with me are looking at their glasses too with doubts. I may not have buddies for too much longer.

Mouthfeel - I have to fight back gag reflexes with each mouthful of this classic lager, so I'm rating the mouthfeel as "officially not good". I could only make it through 3/4 of the glass, I feared for what type of treat was lurking for me at the bottom.

Drikability - "Offically not good", I'm leaving the other 21 cans at my friends house and I'm not going to visit him for a few months.

3.07/5  rDev +42.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A Trader Joe's special at $3 per 6 pack - there is nothing outstanding here. Your basic run of the mill lager with a nice malt sweetness and some decent carbonation lends itself well to the refreshing nature of this beer. Given the style, it is easy to drink with better flavor than any Macro. Recommended (especially for the price).

2.58/5  rDev +20%

Pours a nearly brilliant straw in color, topped with a sudsy off-white head that subsides rather quickly, leaving a ring of minimal lacing. Nose is dominated by sweet, pale malt, with a hint of unspecified graininess. There's also just a touch of hop bitterness and more fusel alcohol than I care for. Carbonation appears to be vigorous. Sweet, sweet, corn-syrup sweet on the first sip. Even though this is billed as an all-malt lager (and as there are no adjuncts listed on the can), it tastes anything but. There are notes of bready and biscuity malt in here, but those are buried by the sweetness and it's a slick-mouthfeeled sweetness at that! The ample carbonation here is something of a saving grace, as it moves this rather dull malty concoction over the tongue and palate, and here the afforementioned hop bitterness gets in on the action. Of course, the hop bitterness is minimal here, making this a very unbalanced brew. Lightly vegetal, tangy, and just a we bit tinny, it's also rather full-bodied and coats the mouth with its sweet-talkin' malt badassness. Call it a 'price beer' or a 'value beer' or even a 'cheap beer' if you like, but it still strikes me more as an ice beer or malt liquor in execution, only with a little less boozy oomph. Sure it's got body and flavor, but it's rather unbalanced and its drinkability suffers accordingly. At this level of drinkability and price I'll stick with Steel Reserve, which definitely has more 'oomph', even though it's just as tough to choke down.

1.92/5  rDev -10.7%

Nice rich golden pour with a sustained white head.

Aroma is overwhelmingly banana. Way out of place. Banana fills the room. Weird.

Sweet up front. Spicy bananas flambe and tin through the rest of the palate.

Kind of thick, but at least well carbonated. OK, but the banana thing is kind of strange.

2.78/5  rDev +29.3%

Thou shalt not slam a beer!
I saw this for $2.79 a sixer at Trader Joe's, 'round the corner from Goose Isalnd and I could not resist!
Smells and looks macro. Nice very light yellow color with a white fluffy head. Would have possibly liked a little more corn even! A good froth on the palate revealed a little sweetness. Finish was a touch bitter, but clean. For what it was worth, a good brewski for post lawn mowing activities.

2.83/5  rDev +31.6%

a: average clear macro color, half inch of white head that dissapears fast leaving very little lacing
s: corn malts, deffinate aroma of adjuncts although not as strong as other macros
t: dominated by the sweet corn grains, very little hop presence more like a sweet chick beer---better and cheaper than carona
m: light bodied with average carbonation

overall this is a cheap macro, If i had to choose between this, bud or miller. I would choose this, it wasnt that bad and its a hell of a lot cheaper, I think it was $1.89 for a 6er

2.99/5  rDev +39.1%

Before even starting this review, I think it is important to point out that beer reviewing is supposed to be done with style in mind, not just preference. That is to say, a 4.3 ranking of an all-malt lager does not mean that it is better than a 3.9 Belgian dark ale, just that it scores higher relative to its genre. In other words, Mountain Creek isn't to be held up to Chimay or SNPA for comparison, but to the other swill in cans. With that in mind:

A surprisingly thick, foamy head with excellent retention & equally sturdy lacing. The body, however, is nothing to write home about. Pale straw, somewhat sickly-looking.

A stale, metallic odor with a bit of yeast, but mostly just musty. Not a strong point.

A subtle, sweet malt taste with no frills but also no real short-comings. Surprisingly drinkable & I'm guessing that the 5.5% ABV is responsible for cutting out the metallic taste I usually run into with canned beer.

The mouthfeel is too chewy for the genre & it seems that the carbonation is largely used on the head as the body doesn't have the same fizz I would expect from macro-brewed stuff.

I can't imagine buying this with regularity as it just is not a style I like that much. However, with a superior taste to most of the macro-crap, a $2.99 pricetag per 6-pack & a robust 5.5% ABV I could see bringing this to a gathering of "guys" & giving them a slightly better alternative to Bud or Miller. We keep a few in our fridge for when our more closed-minded friends stop by.

1.43/5  rDev -33.5%

Appearance - Crystal clear yellow/gold. White soapy head that's all but gone in seconds. Bubbly, like champagne. Average.

Smell - Mild malt aroma. Nothing distinguishable.

Taste - Almost candy-sweet light malt flavor. No hops to speak of. Seems severly unbalanced. Not good at all.

Mouthfeel - About as watery and stinginly carbonated as you'd expect.

Drinkability - This beer does have an upside - the price is the lowest I've seen for any beer. Unfortunately, the unusual (and poor) flavor makes this almost undrinkable. Drink very cold and very drunk.

2.6/5  rDev +20.9%

thin and clear looking. no odor to speak of since its so damn cold. taste is poor, but better than a lot of other macro lagers (Busch products, for instance). corn-like and thin, but appropriate for this type of beer. actually has quite good drinkability and its dirt cheap too.

2.2/5  rDev +2.3%

It smelled like well-hydrated urine. It poured a translucent golden with a thin white head that immediately dissipated. There was virtually no carbonation. It goes down really, really easy. I could have slammed the six-pack without really noticing that I had drank anything accept that I started feeling hung over about 40 seconds after I started. The taste was appley.

I will give Huber props for making this crap ass beer for the Canadians. If they’ll pay us cheese heads to make them junk like this more power to Huber.

Oh, I only paid like 25 cents a can so I can't bark too much. If it had cost me anything, I probably would have given it straight 1’s.

2.68/5  rDev +24.7%

Wow. Very sugary beer. Poured out to a medium golden color. I will give the brewery props for being straight forward about making a simple American lager. But this brew is a touch on the sweet side. No odor to speak of, and the medium carbonation quickly slowed and flattended out. Hints of hops and herbs, with a earthy note. But most promenent was the sweet sugary notes, which lasted long into the aftertaste which is not all that bad, but a bit on the heavy side. Not a bad brew for 2.99 a sixer. Worth a try.

1.54/5  rDev -28.4%

Uck. Unlike the previous reviewer I paid 2.99 plus deposit for this six pack. I should have read the reviews prior to buying, but seeing this at Trader Joe's was a complete impulse buy. Pours a deep golden color with a quickly disappearing bubbly white head. Smells and tastes of sweet corn -- clearly an adjunct brew. Much too sweet for my taste. Medium-high carbonation, but little hop aroma or bitterness. At 5.5 ABV, the more of these you choke down, the higher the drinkability becomes I'd imagine. This is one of the few beers I'd choose a Bud over, sadly. The can states that it is craft brewed in small batches (in Wisconsin), however, I cannot support this craft brew.

1.65/5  rDev -23.3%

$1.99/ six pack (No, I am not kidding!)

Purchased by my mom as a joke for me so I gave it a shot. Wow is this stuff nasty. It tastes like frat house vomit. There is an enourmous amount of sweetness in the nose and the taste. It seems like apple cider was mixed with goat urine and a hint of Old Milwaukee swill. I honestly have nothing good to say about this one. I have only had a few sips and I can guarantee you that I will have a rager of a headache in a few short moments!

2.75/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

With hundreds of reviews piling up on my desk, I'm reviewing this? I must be crazy.

Pours out pale gold and sits a very bright golden yellow in the glass with a small, retreating white head that doesn't stick around for any of the fun.

Smells mainly of malt and holds a very fruity aroma overall, mainly consisting of overripened apples and grapes. Corn is noted in the thick, musty nose.

Tastes is sweet up front and continues on up to the finish. Corn and a vegetal taste make up the main points of the flavor. You'd think you were drinking a 40 for how thick and malty this beer is. Hops are noted in the finish and leave you dry and thirsty in the end. A good taste for its niche, I'd actually put it above the Big 3 in terms of taste, far above.

Mouthfeel is thick, smooth in a medium body with little carbonation; something that you don't see too much of in the cheap swill you'd usually find.

Water is no match for this in derms of drinkability, no harsh flavors or funky aromas to send you off running for the hills. Cheaper than dirt too. $7.49 a case when I picked up some on a whim. Doesn't compare to anything but the swill it's competing with, but it ranks very high in that market.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last