1845 All Malt Pils | Minhas Craft Brewery

Formerly Minhas 1845 Pilsner

Added by Atron67 on 03-23-2008

Reviews by JohnnyHopps:
1.54/5  rDev -40.5%

I poured this beer into a snifter, though it probably could have been experience just as well from the bottle. A pale straw color was the most average aspect of this pilsner. Being fair, this is the highest aspect of my score on this beer. The aroma reminded me of a dusty basement floor with something sticky/sugary spilled on it. The initial taste confused me into thinking I was drinking a light beer. There was a faint sweetness and a little straw flavor. The modest amount of carbonation swept this away as the aftertaste was just empty bubbles of carbonation. It is a very thin beer without much flavor or texture. I am glad I can say that a friend brought it over so I do not have to take responsibility for buying it.

2.24/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

My local, in-person trader, Tone77, brought this bottle for me. I was blissfully unaware that my arch-nemeses, Ravinder and Manjit Minhas, were bottling their beers. I have had more than my share of their CANned offerings, swill so unfit for human CANsumption that my repeated imbibing has turned me (part-time) into The Cyberleader! I am hoping for the best from this bottle.

From the bottle: "38 DEGREE PARADISE Chill it to 38 [deg.] Fahrenheit, sit in your favorite chair and sip away the 38 Degree Paradise. Here is to hoping that you own a fridge dedicated to chilling beer to its perfect temperature! Did you know that 1845 is an ALL MALT beer made in the finest Euro tradition? Mr. Corn and Mr. Rice don't live here! They are not even welcome here. 1845 PILS is out Brewmaster's dream and hopefully, it will also become yours."

Of course, it is a screwed-up screw-top, depriving me of even a Pop! These bottles are the absolute worst as they must be completely recycled, as opposed to reused as with pop top bottles. I was so irritated by all of it that I performed one of the heaviest-handed pours in recent memory. This resulted in two fingers of dense, puffy, tawny head that slowly receded into memory. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a toasty maltiness to it, which corresponds to the label, which reads "All Malt". Sofa! Sofa, so good. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was rather ... odd. Not unpalatable, like so many beers that they make, but not really a good example of a German Pilsener, either. I have been attributing their off flavors to a tired, worn-out yeast strain and I think that may be the culprit here, also. The nose was fine, but the taste does not mirror it. Instead, there is a cheesy sharpness that masks the maltiness noted on the nose. It also has that distinct Minhas pink bubble gum/dry cleaning plant flavor. Finish was semi-dry, but left a lingering aftertaste that makes me want to gargle with a flamethrower. No bueno!

2.06/5  rDev -20.5%

1845, this came in a variety pack of beer and it was cheap. Figure, you have to try it all to know what's good and bad.

A: this beer's best feature pours a nice copper color with decent lacing.

S: not entirely a skunky smell, but there's a bitterness there I wasn't too fond of.

T: for some reason, every beer I've tried thus far from Minhas seems to have this artificial taste of massive amounts of sugar added to take away most of the vile aftertaste.

M: thin, thin, thin. Virtually like water, not impressed.

D. by the time we get to this, the taste and mouthfeel has me thanking them for only putting 2 in the variety pack! I personally wouldn't buy this on its own ever, but for those looking for low-taste-watery-type beer (ie: coors, bud light) save a few bucks and get this instead!

1.75/5  rDev -32.4%

2.16/5  rDev -16.6%

This beer pours a clear pale golden colour, with one finger of thin wispy white head, which leaves a few specks of lace around the glass as it quickly diminishes. It smells of mild grain, and watery dish soap. The taste is mildly sweet corn kernel, and musty floral hops. The carbonation is quite zingy, the body light all around. It finishes with some weedy essence, and nail polish notes.

Quite unpleasant in the round - the stellar New Year's Eve Indian spicy curry spread could barely mask its deficiencies, other than as an expensive water stand-in.

2.2/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

2.75/5  rDev +6.2%

2.61/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.76/5  rDev +6.6%

The 2nd beer of my Minhas morning, lets hope it's better than the first. Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle.Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mildly sweet, a bit of soap? Taste is like no other pils that I have ever had. Sweet, soapy, very dry at the finish. Feels light in the mouth and overall strike 2 for Minhas.

3.23/5  rDev +24.7%

Single from Viking in Reedsburg. No bottle date, just a string of undecipherable numbers printed on the bottom.

Poured this into a Hamms goblet, it produced a thin cap of foam, that left a broken skim after a couple minutes. Lacing sticks to the sides.

Mildly skunky noble hop aroma, like many euro pils I have whiffed. Not bad, not especially interesting though. Vague hint of malt with a slight metallic twang.

Clean pilsner malt taste, crackery and simple. Very mild hop presence, lending a "barely there" grassy bitterness. Dry aftertaste, somewhat fizzy with the CO2. Easy enough to drink with minimal intellectualizing. This seems like a grab for the craft market, but it probably won't appeal to most craft drinkers used to bolder flavors. But it's a decent transition beer away from bigger macros. Quite possibly the best beer i've had from Minhas (which is not saying much).

2.72/5  rDev +5%

2.25/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance - Light yellow. Cloudy and bubbly. Short white, short-lived head.

Smell - Very sweet and grainy. Not catching any hops.

Taste - Sweet and grainy. Fairly watery. Finishes with the slightest tang of fruity hops. Cloying.

Mouthfeel - Light and crisp.

Drinkability - My impression of the several Minhas' brews I've tried is that they skew sweet and simple. This one is no exception. Not much to look at here unless you're really a craft brew beginner. In that event, this isn't much of a german pilsner, in my opinion.

3.5/5  rDev +35.1%

Reviewed 11-08-09

Served from a bottle to a glass

A - very clear brew dark yellow/goldish color with great head retention, 3 fingers of foam, signs of carbonation as it sits

S - malt with a touch of sweet smell

T - medium bodied sweet flavor, noticeable malt after taste but goes down pretty smooth

M/D - pretty tasty brew, light feel as it sits in my mouth but malty after taste. Not one of my favorites from Minhas, the last beer in the 4 pack sampler. I'm torn between them, I like 2 out of the 4. If they decide to break up the pack I would buy the ones I liked but right now it isn't worth it to me to buy the sampler again.

2.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Dark gold color with lots of active prickle and light lacing on the surface. Malt dominant nose with hints of grain. Fresh and clean attack. A little bit of bite to the flavor before it flattens out at the finish, and flatten is the right word. Grainy finish and aftertaste. Thick mouthfeel and heavy body for a pilsner is almost enough to save this beer. It is definitely a "microbrew" pilsner as it doesn't taste mainstream, so that is a plus. I would put this right around the mean for pilsners that I have had. My wife commented that it tasted like Keystone light.

1.75/5  rDev -32.4%

3.08/5  rDev +18.9%

A decent but not outstanding beer from this regional scale brewery. This clear, deep gold brew (minimal head) proudly claims itself to be an all malt beer and indeed, the malt is the most notable quality of the beer. It features malt flavor reminiscent but not quite as tasty or clean as that of a good German lager. The beer could be more strongly hopped; I wonder if the original pils (circa 1842) were more hopped. Seems like they are trying to capitalize on a "roots" perception but cutting potentially tasty corners.

My first sip detected a slight metallic off-flavor, but this did not detract from my subsequent enjoyment of the beer. Similarly, a persistent but inoffensive soapy aftertaste and smell was detected. While the beer is not a bad way to quench a thirst, it is a little too filling to work as a session beer. The maltiness is insufficient reason, in my opinion, to drink a beer that has some flavor flaws and feels heavy in my gut... A bit of a disappointment, given that the beer is sold as 8 packs and I have 7 more to go.

1845 All Malt Pils from Minhas Craft Brewery