Axe Head Malt Liquor | Minhas Craft Brewery

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by BuckeyeNation on 10-10-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
1.77/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

12/02/2011

Can shared by Bobby at Strong Ale 2011.

A: Translucent straw colored with a small white head. Not at all unattractive.

S: Big corn notes with apple and grain. Alcohol is brash and bruising, stinging my nostrils.

T: Sugary apple and corn with a lot of alcohol. Not as clean and crisp as Evil Eye Ice, for example. Alcohol is harsh in the grainy corn finish.

M: Upper light body with high carbonation.

Overall: This lacks the finesse of something like, say, Evil Eye Ice.

1.3/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer is like Four Loko on steroids. It should be avoided at all costs. It is very, very pungent with a chalky aftertaste. Each swig is like a punch in the face. It's semi-foamy, but it dissipates quickly upon drinking it. I didn't pour it into a glass, because I used it for a drinking game, but from seeing it in the can, it appeared to be a very light, transparent yellow color. It feels heavy on the palate.

1.56/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

When seeing "11%" and "Mountain Crest", I knew this was going to be painful.

Clear straw yellow appearance with little head that quickly disappears. Smell is very sweet with a combination of fruit and alcohol.

Taste is very sweet and syrupy, picked up fruit and a huge amount of booze. Taking a swig burns almost like whiskey. Medium bodied with low carbonation. Aftertaste has a lingering grape, booze taste.

Designed to get you drunk for cheap; but with the amount of sugar (big hangover potential) and poor quality taste, you can get better malt liquors for an extra $1.

1.54/5  rDev -21.4%

710ml "King Can" - what, "Monster Can" no longer works with the kiddies?

This beer pours a clear pale straw colour, with two fingers of almost creamy white head, which leaves a decent drooping paint job of lace around the glass as it sinks away. It smells strongly of sweet corn grist, and melted plastic fusel alcohol. The taste is gag-inducing - very, very sweet, sugary, mushed apple, with the obvious, and unholy smooth booze only adding to the saccharine wank-fest. Just for shits and giggles, I detect some skunky, musky 'hops' in there too. The carbonation is beaten down to the point of no longer caring, the body riddled with diabetes. It finishes still very sweet, with some unpleasant floral/perfume acrid booziness scratching at the door.

A very industrial (not 'industrious') tasting beer. Paint thinner with a week's worth of office kitchen sugar or sugar substitute dumped in. I'm only drinking a pawn's worth of this pants-less King's serving, and that's hard enough as it is.

1.38/5  rDev -29.6%

Oh, happy, happy, joy, joy - another Minhas Craft Brewery beer to advance The CANQuest (TM)'s cause! Their products, since I hesitate to call them "beers", have been some of the lowest of the low on this journey, which is closing in on # 400, by the way. I have held off long enough on this one. I have the day off and other than watching a hockey game on TV later tonight, nothing else is on the menu. Certainly not operating heavy machinery ...

From the CAN: "King [CAN]" - no s**t, Sherlock! 24 fluid ounces of evil with not one but two gleaming axe heads depicting the damage that is going to be done to my brain housing group.

The Crack & Glug reminded me of one of the real flaws in these Tallboy CANs - the opening sits well back from the lip and spilling CAN be a frequent CANcern. Fortunately, I have perfected my art. Holy Plastics Factory, Batman! The nose smelled like something totally unnatural and I had not even leaned in for a whiff. I am already developing a headache. I had two fingers' worth of rocky, bone-white head that fell faster than Wile E. Coyote going off a cliff. The nose was really fusel, like paint thinner accompanied by a Bazooka bubble gum-like sweetness. How do they accomplish this? Color was a really beautiful deep-golden yellow with NE-quality clarity. I feel like I should say at least one nice thing about this beer since I have a feeling as to where it is headed. Mouthfeel was medium with a lot of initial alcohol heat on the tongue, giving 'way to a green apple and pink bubble gum flavor. Oof. Finish was literally breathtaking. I felt like the air had been sucked out of my lungs. Brutal. I CANnot recommend this for even the hardcore types that swill this style in the alley behind my house.

1.56/5  rDev -20.4%

Saw a 40 of this evil liquid for only $1.99, how could I pass it up?! I obviously didn't pour it into a glass but drank it out of the bottle out of a brown paper bag as is the custom. Tasted like shit and alcohol teamed up to punch your face every sip. At 11% this was expected I guess. Certainly got the job done, best bargain in the liquor store!

1.43/5  rDev -27%

710 ml (24 oz) King Can, bought only because a trading partner wanted the can. Similar label but a large 11%, and a red label with the price of $3.25 printed on the can. Extreme Beer, Extra Strong Beer (not Malt Beverage), Extremely Strong, Extremely Smooth. Imported by Mountain Crest Brewing Company, Calgary.
Clear dark yellow orange color, white foam that fades fast, doesn't last long enough to qualify as head. The smell is metallic and alcohol, no other discrenable aroma. The taste is the same as the smell, with some sweet vegetable residue. Average body and mouthfeel (I guess), couldn't finish one glass, let alone the whole can. It does carry a high ABV punch, which is what it's made for. I suppose that makes it fit the style for a malt liquor?!

Dark yellow colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma and taste are green apple and nuclear submarine fuel.This packs a potent punch.It reminds me of high school when you would drink two forties of malt liqour and look for anyone to fistfight.Still I can't say that this is horrible but my no means will I say it's good.

2.36/5  rDev +20.4%

Clear pale yellow with a big fluffy white head that fades fast. The nose is comprised of dusky metallic grits, green apple and grain alcohol. The taste is much like the smell, sweet grits and appleskin mascerated in corn liquor. The alcohol is relatively well hidden for such a high ABV. This stuff is evil, for $1.09 and at 11% ABV, one single 40 oz could do serious damage (I guess that's the point). I chickened out after about 8 oz though.

2.17/5  rDev +10.7%

appearance: generic in color. no head. basically what you expect.

smell: wow, im surprised i could find any fruit past the alcohol. it definitly tells you what you're getting into.

taste: this is a beer to be slammed and forgotten about to end you're night on.

1.82/5  rDev -7.1%

I saw a sampler pack from the Minhas brewery at Westside today.
I figure the stuff in it was okay, so for balance, I also picked up a
super duper tallboy of Minhas Axe Head Malt Liquor.

A careful pour got me a couple fingers of stiff foam over a clear
honey colored brew. Carbonation is extremely active, the nose
is corn syrup and alcohol. The flavor is sweet bubble gum balanced
by a hard alcohol burn. It's true that you may encounter bubble gum
flavors in your finer Belgian ales, but in this case it's like working on
a giant wad of Bazooka while sipping Everclear. Mouthfeel is pretty
full, but it would have to be to get you to 11% alcohol by volume.
Otherwise it's also pretty crisp but it's probably due to the burn. Not
good unless you're looking for the middle way toward a bender. For
me, a drain pour.

1.97/5  rDev +0.5%

Malt Likkapalooza XI is the first time in this venerable series that two glasses of jet fuel from the same brewery will be facing off. Hard to be sure, but Axe Head might be the same beer as Rock Head. In any case, it's the highest ABV malt liquor in the world not named Sonoran 100. We don't need no fancy-schmancy, silk-screened bottles. A 40 ounce bottle with a screw-top is the only way to go.

Bright marigold with lemon colored trim. Hmmm... the colors are identical. Might these be the same beer with different water contents? The heads suggest that isn't the case. This one is slightly darker (French vanilla), has a higher quality texture and is leaving more and better looking lace. Go figure.

It isn't surprising that fusel alcohol is much more prominent in the higher ABV beer. It isn't totally kerosene-like, but there isn't the sort of sweet, floral fruitiness that the best malt liquors bring to the table. Nasty was expected... boring was delivered.

Both beers have a surprising amount of flavor. I didn't say that it was good flavor. Axe Head tastes like corn squeezins and fermented fruit soaked in sugar syrup. Believe it or not, alcohol is papered over pretty well. Well enough for someone used to drinking 100-proof liquor neat to get *ucked up in a hurry if he insists on drinking this swill too quickly.

The mouthfeels are pretty much identical. At least enough so that I could not tell them apart if blinded. If I drink enough of this stuff, blindness might be right around the next corner. The beer is medium-full, without being sticky, and has middle-of-road bubbles.

In the final reckoning, a more appealing appearance is the reason why Axe Head wins Malt Likkapalooza XI. I've also decided to reward it with a higher drinkability score since the flavor is *slightly* better. Yes, it's drinkable for the style, but I'm not stupid enough to drain the entire 40 ounce bottle.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last