Simpler Times Lager

Poor
Simpler Times LagerSimpler Times Lager
Notes: None
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 2.75 by avisong from Virginia

Aug 27, 2022

Rated: 3.15 by kkarimi from Texas

Jul 31, 2022
Reviewed by upo from California

4.75/5  rDev +66.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75
If you truly like beer, and liked it before it was hip to like beer, you will love this one. I love expensive craft beers, but the biggest contribution they made to me was to give me more respect for reasonably priced beers. These brewers make a VERY TASTY beer at a terrific price. My friends that dislike or rarely drink beer love this one. IMO, it is an excellent choice to pair with red meat, especially BBQ. Minhas people, I'm all in.
Jun 14, 2022

Rated: 2.32 by Zigzach from Florida

Apr 22, 2022
Reviewed by ADigbySellers

1.28/5  rDev -55.2%
Tastes like your friend’s first home brew attempt. He smiles at you with anticipation on your first sip and asks “What do you think?” I think it tastes like ass and bad beer mixed with some lawn mower juice.
This ranks among the absolute worst beers I have had in my life. Difficult to swallow without grimacing.
How any brewer could put their name on this crap is bewildering.
Apr 07, 2022
Reviewed by dbeau485 from Florida

2.85/5  rDev -0.3%
I started shopping at Trader Joe’s and found Simpler Times beer. I tried the Pilsner first and it was okay. So the next time I went, I bought a six pack of the Lager and a six of Pils. Both are actually pretty good, considering it’s a cheap beer. I prefer the Lager but drink both. For a beer that costs under $5 for a 6 pack, you could do worse.

Edited: Since my original rating, I have had a couple of bad batches, so I have lowered the taste rating. I am actually less a fan of the beer now.
Apr 04, 2022

Rated: 1.22 by Casagemas from California

Mar 01, 2022
Reviewed by ChuckHD from Illinois

Low IBU but with lager flavor that sets it apart from the pilsner. Great taste at an affordable price; at half the the price of Trader Joes brand beer.
Feb 13, 2022
Reviewed by Christianriveraaa

3.41/5  rDev +19.2%
Not to bad actually, I didn't expect much trying this beer but for the price it's actually a pretty decent beer. Good go to if you're not looking to spend much.
Jan 11, 2022
Reviewed by coolc14 from New York

It’s exactly what you except from a cheap beer. As far as cheap beers go this might be one of the better tasting ones for sure. If your with a bunch of beer drinkers and not snobs this is perfect for the party and the wallet.
Jan 10, 2022
Reviewed by Gajo74 from New York

2.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5
Pours a clear dark yellow color with visible carbonation. A moderate foam head quickly dissipates.
Aromas of sweet cereal grain and corn. No discernible hops aromas.
The taste is sweet, too much so, with notes of cereal grain and corn. There is little to no hops flavor and bitterness.
Medium bodied with a mouthfeel that feels a bit coarse. Finish is sweet and only semi dry. Carbonation is moderate.
This was a chore to drink, in fact, I didn’t finish; much too sweet. I was expecting something better than what the reviews indicated. I would not have again.
Jan 05, 2022
Rated by SkeeterBlack

2.37/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5
It’s cheap, good to keep around when cheap friends come over who never buy their own beer. A little like home brew but 6.2% alcohol and cheap!! C
Dec 16, 2021

Rated: 2.92 by Meddwol from Michigan

Dec 12, 2021
Reviewed by Schnazz

2.97/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25
I mean it’s not the best beer I’ve ever had but for the price it’s not bad at all. $7 for a 12 pack. If you’re a drinker on a budget then this really is a hell of a deal. It’s better than shitty beers like coors and bud light but certainly not as good as you’re more popular microbrews. It’s a solid C.
Nov 20, 2021

Rated: 2.25 by AndrewFord666 from Illinois

Aug 31, 2021
Reviewed by Merh307

3.44/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5
I think a lot of ppl that I’ve read on there way of talking about this beer. It isn’t that bad at all. The little females complaining are just being girls with a thong stuck up there butt! This beer is cheap af! And doesn’t taste that bad at all. I’ve had some shitty beers in my past. The buzz is really nice. Still bubbly after 10 mins in a glass. 3.99$ for a 6pk @traderjoes you can’t beat that at all! Take this shit to a party. Fuck it! And drink everyone else’s beer lol hey at least you didn’t come empty handed. All in all I think it’s a solid price for what your getting
Jul 06, 2021

Rated: 3 by atlbravsrno1 from New Hampshire

May 12, 2021
Reviewed by Babassman from North Carolina

1.23/5  rDev -57%
I think my wife is tryong to kill me. She bought this stuff at Trader Joe's today.
I thought she loved me. Turns out she is a sadist. I was really looking foward to trying a new beer as I usually am. Once it was chilled in the fridge I popped a top and took a sip. OMG!!! This stuff reminds me of a cross between cooked cabbage and a wet airedale. The best thing for this so called beer is to keep in the fridge in case you have a beer thief.
Apr 14, 2021
Reviewed by johnnnniee from New Hampshire

2.59/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5
Can from Trader Joe's 3.99 a six pack.
Pours a deep gold color bordering on amber with a decent sized frothy white head that persists. Toasty toffee caramel maltiness with diacetyl and green apple. Thin body moderate carbonation. Not good.
Apr 03, 2021
Reviewed by Jugs_McGhee from Louisiana

2.07/5  rDev -27.6%
I know I've reviewed this before but I guess I haven't gotten 'round to typing up my handwritten notes. Here's a brief gut reaction to a 12 fl oz pull-tab can ($3.99 USD/sixer in Metairie, Louisiana):

6.2% ABV.

Liquid malt extract/malt syrup from a homebrewing kit. Heavy lingering residual sugars...this is poorly attenuated. Diacetyl/buttery flavours. Cheap grape is present, which is...odd. Corn syrup. Green apple. Apple juice from concentrate.

Stickily off-putting. Too thick. Carbonated.

Yeah, this is rough stuff, lads. I'd sooner drink most macrobrew lagers. If this beer hearkens back to simpler times then thank fuck we're in the present instead of the past.
'
Hard pass...

D / NOT RECOMMENDED
Mar 21, 2021

Rated: 2.71 by TrojanRB from Texas

Jan 23, 2021
Reviewed by StonedTrippin from Colorado

2.31/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25
moderately better than the appalling pilsner they do, but these prices are tough to beat. this is oddly strong for what it is, but cheap tasting as can be, super sweet, and barely passable, or actually, not quite passable, as i took a couple of sips and had to feed the rest to the drain, this is insanely low quality beer overall, even for a thirsty guy on a thursday night in the kitchen, meaning most things cold and wet would have been fine enough, so this stood out as not even that. my wife said that if it was an artificially flavored caramel soda it would be a solid b-, which i guess i agree with, but that is a weird comment for what i think is supposed to be a generic yellow lager. it looks okay in the glass, but its all down hill from there, like a malt extract syrup a homebrewer would use, a cheapness to the fermentation profile, gobs of residual sugar, almost an incomplete fermentation, makes me wonder if this is actually a lager at all, and some metallic and even chemical notes through most of it. really rough. i can appreciate the high carbonation when looking for a positive, but its so sweet that it doesnt matter. i know the price is enticing, i even like the old timey labeling and stuff, but this is on the edge of undrinkable. to be wholly avoided, and somehow their pils is even worse...
Nov 20, 2020
Reviewed by HoppingMadMonk from New Jersey

3.63/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
Medium body as well as medium carbonation that does dissipate quickly if you take your time with this.
Aroma is malt,corn syrup, something like buttered grainy bread. There's a floral candied honey scent that is pretty pleasing and interesting.
Taste is malt and corn syrup up front followed by everything else that showed up in the aroma.
I know I'm supposed to not like it but this was decent. Only knock against it is the corn syrup and the carbonation doesnt last. To be fair I drank this pretty slow though.
Aug 10, 2020

Rated: 2.96 by Edy-Cantarero from New York

Jul 23, 2020
Rated by dimwit_flathead from California

2.82/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25
High marks for great name and great price. Everything else-- meh.
Mar 03, 2020
Reviewed by JeffG81 from Arkansas

2.17/5  rDev -24.1%
Kind of reminds me of Miller High Life. Nose is light maltiness mildly sweet, pours foamy, dissipates quickly, no lacing. Medium gold in color and crystal clear. Mouthfeel very light and fizzy, slightly sweet malty taste, detected some corn character, light bitterness, pretty much tastes like Miller or Bud. Gave me a raging headache after 2 of them. Gross..
Dec 21, 2019
Rated by Precisiondigital from Maryland

3.73/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
Tastes very authentic And creamy. Corn taste with caramel butter finish. Banana hints
Dec 06, 2019
Rated by brother_rebus from Maine

1.89/5  rDev -33.9%
This tastes like they used belgian yeast or something. Its not good.
Oct 30, 2019
Reviewed by Skywave from Oklahoma

2.75/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75
No going to do an ASTMO on this turd.

Bought it at Trader Joe's unaware of it's origins. Did not expect high quality for the price.

Clear , dark for style. Tastes more like a dark and old kristallweizen than any kind of American Lager. Smells and tastes of banana, clove and other weird spicy fruity things. Not really fitting the style at all. Smells weird, Drinkable but damn, way off from what I expected.

If you like the flavor, then I don't blame you. It is cheap. But this is one of the starkest mis-labeling of style I have ever experienced. They f***ed it up royally but despite that it is quite drinkable.
Oct 20, 2019
Reviewed by ncjoshman from Montana

1.72/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75
My buddy dropped this off for me to try because he found it repulsive. Goddamn, I thought he was just being a prima donna.

Look is a very clear, brassy gold (way too brown for golden hay colored that I’ve seen other reviewers use to describe it). Head disintegrates within seconds of pouring, and leaves no lacing to speak of.

Faint on the nose, but when you do catch it, good god is it sweet, mainly with corn and grape, but also with boiled vegetable notes. Very offputting.

Cold, the hoppiness comes through with the grape very strongly. As it warms up, the corn syrupy sweetness and boiled vegetables come through much more strongly. Woof, this stuff is rough to put down.

Mouthfeel is very effervescent at first, but it goes nearly flat in only a few minutes.

Good god, it’s a good thing I didn’t pay for this stuff because it’s completely repulsive to me. I’ll take a watery craptastic adjunct light beer any day over this, but it’s Banquet beer still exists so I don’t really have to as long as it stays cheap!
Sep 15, 2019
Reviewed by defunksta from North Dakota

3.47/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25
Appearance: Pours a clear, rich, honey-color with a small white head that fades quickly. SRM of 8. (3.75)

Aroma: Wow the aroma here is weird! I get a lot of banana upfront. It has banana and orange citrus. Faint toasted malts. (3.50)

Flavor: The banana is even more pronounced on the flavor. It's huge banana and some orange, Belgian spice quality. A little yeast, pepper, clove and coriander too. Finishes with a touch of sweetness. Reminds me very much of a wit. (3.50)

Feel: Medium-bodied, lower carbonation. Smooth. Light, but average to heavier for the style. Belgian flavors are left on the palate. (3.50)

Overall: I really don't know what to make of this beer. I ventured into this thinking I as drinking an American Lager and ended up with a Belgian witbier. It's a witbier with less carbonation and yeast so drinks a little heavier. Not sure if anyone else can confirm this is such a surprising flavor for this beer. Great flavors, but I have to rate it lower because it misses the mark for an American lager. (Final Rating: 3.47)
Aug 18, 2019
Rated by robed from California

2.5/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5
The name (simpler) nearly says it all
Jul 15, 2019
Reviewed by Amendm from Florida

2.85/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75
A very strong pour from a 12-oz. can yields a short lived finger of white fizz with zero lace.
Clear yellow-gold color with rising bubbles. The smell features toasted and sweet lager malt, corn, toasted grains and faint floral hops. Uniform throughout the drink, the taste is neutral on sweetness and light on bitterness, just a faint peppery bite. Green grape and apple cider create a false sense of sweetness. The finish is refreshing and clean, bitterness and dryness climb a little as a mild astringency haunts the aftertaste. Light body, average carbonation, dangerously quaffable considering the 6.2% ABV. Simple label, straight forward beer. This one would clean up in the AAL category, corn is noticeable yet moderated by malt.
Jul 15, 2019
Rated by crotharagain from Rhode Island

3.1/5  rDev +8.4%
People, it's cheap. Rate it for what is is. Good value lager if you don't want to spend $3 or $4 for a can.
Jul 01, 2019
Reviewed by lisa_d14 from Virginia

3.48/5  rDev +21.7%
Overall, I’m impressed with this easy-to-drink, perfect summer beer. Think poolside, on the boat, at the beach, etc. It is light, but flavorful and very reasonably priced. This lager can be purchased at TJs in VA for just $7.49 a 12 pack! It tastes a heck of a lot better than the traditional American beers, too. Definitely worth trying.
Jun 10, 2019