Simpler Times Lager | Minhas Craft Brewery

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by blackie on 10-11-2008

3.7

2.38/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.75/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.58/5  rDev -44.8%

The Good Old Days

When I was a kid, my dad used to drive over the state line (tax purposes) and get some extremely cheap beer. It was awful. This reminds me of that. This is one of the worst beers ever. Maybe if you're in college or on a tight budget and need to get a buzz and you don't care about taste, then this would be your go-to beer on Friday after classes. But other than that, there is no reason to drink this beer. It's bloody awful.

1.59/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

2.63/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This is one of those Trader Joe's generic beers from someone else. The appearance is yellow and weak, feint, small white head, 1/5". Aroma was macro industrial not much.

Taste, its that simple lager stuff, BMC AAL under another name. Strangely the alcohol is amped up, so I guess if you're looking for a buzz, this is the one to have I guess relative to style. Its basic stuff at a somewhat premium price.

3.35/5  rDev +17.1%

Upon research, this beer is the exact same as Cold Creek Ice. Just repackaged for Trader Joe's. You can get a 30 pack of Cold Creek Ice in MN for about 11 bucks. Probably cheaper in WI.

I remember drinking it in college and remember it being one of the worst beers I'd ever had. (Surprising for a college student because I drank a lot of bad beer)

My wife just picked me up a six pack of Simpler Times and was pretty well in the bag when I had my first one. Didn't think it was too bad. Just tried a second one my opinion shifted a bit.

I finished it and my wife asks me how it was. "Pretty skunky, reminds me of that really nasty beer I had in college" Natty Ice she asks, " no, but similar. It was something even cheaper"

Long story short, Google and found out it's brewed by Minhas and is the same as that "nasty beer I had in college"

Final review: drink it when already drunk.

3.54/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

For a simple lager, and at the price point of about $3.75 a six pack, this beer is pretty amazing.

3.54/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

1.99/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Rotten cabbage flavor typical of bad sanitation practices and repitched infected yeast. This is NOT the normal DMS flavor of well-made light lagers, it is quite plainly infected wort, and likely the cause of the "disappearing head" and lack of lacing. It was completely decarbonated (flat) in less than 20 minutes of sitting in the glass, for crying out loud. On the positive side, it looked promising when poured, and didn't nose too badly. And it was cheap, but infected beer should not be sold at any price.

2.76/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Six-pack picked up from Trader Joe's for about $4

L - Pours a clear, honey gold with a good inch of head that disappears like a magic trick. Almost no lacing left.

S - Grains, malt, artificial fruit (grape?), metal, adjunct-y

T - Sweet definitely overpowers all other tastes. Sugary, honey, malt, some cereal grain. Finished up with a bitter, metallic aftertaste reminiscent of other cheap adjuncts.

F - Light, thin, watery, crisp, high carbonation, like drinking a soda.

O - $4 for a six-pack? Sure. You get what you pay for. It tastes cheap and on the sweeter side, kind of reminds me of Honey Brown. But there's enough going on to make this feel like a malt liquor, which, I'm not above. A good beer for a hot day--simpler times, if you will.

1.35/5  rDev -52.8%

3.04/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Look-It pours a very clear golden yellow with some mild hues of orange. The head is thin and white.

Smell-A semi-sweet and malt-forward aroma characterizes this lager’s aroma. Prominent adjunct malts and probably only trace amounts of hops come through as well. The corn malts manifest themselves as fresh cut hay or straw.

Taste-The taste follows the nose, but has a more noticeable sweetness to it and the summer-cut hay flavors are noticeable. This light-bodied brew has low carbonation levels and alcohol content. There is little or no lingering flavors on the tongue as is expected from this style.

Overall-This isn’t the greatest beer ever nor even of its class, but it finishes clean and crisp making for a worthy summer beer in the late afternoon if you want something to cool you down and take the edge off. You’d probably need to down 2-3 of these to get a mild buzz after a hard day’s work though. To each his own.

2.5/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tried it in a nonik pint. It pours nice, clean, and golden but leaves lackluster lacing. Thoroughly sub-par beer for a commensurate price. It tastes and feels like malt liquor (if malt liquor didn't have an offensive diesel-like aftertaste) without nearly as high of an ABV.

2.85/5  rDev -0.3%

I like the Simpler Times Lager because it's exactly what it says. Sorry this is my first review so I'm not going to get into details. It is a cheap drinkable beer. Perfect for when you just need to unwind after a hard day or work and don't want to spend $12 for a damn 6 pack.

2.83/5  rDev -1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.05/5  rDev +6.6%

First from a 4-pack...poured with a nice foamy head, and strong and pleasant barley and hops smell. Paired with sausage pizza...first tasted seemed watery...as the temp warmed up, taste evolved into apples, with excessive sweetness...had I not known better, I would have guessed a malt liquor. Modest carbonation, but feels flat, a bit to thick, and a bit too syrupy.

2.9/5  rDev +1.4%

3.5/5  rDev +22.4%

Well I gotta say, "This is not the worst beer I have ever had." I mentioned to a friend that I picked up a sixer of these from TJs earlier today and that is what he told me, that it is literally the worst beer he has ever had.

As far as I am concerned, he can keep his comments to himself, this stuff is okay and at 3.50$ a sixpack "the price is right!"
It reminds me of that taste of like shitty skunked keystone light mixed w something more flavorful like yuengling and certainly stronger. It is definitely okay to chase your PB&J with something like this. I will have it again. 3.50 review all around because it cost that much to buy...

3.1/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.50$ for a sixer of 6.2%ers? I'm definitely willing to try it out.

Pours very very fizzy, orange, head recedes completely. Looks like apple juice.
No smell. Maybe like corn and whiskey mixed with malt?
Tastes surprisingly clean, a bit malty, with a little adjunct funk, but not too much.
Very very fizzy.
I saw one reviewer mention steel reserve. I can see where they're coming from... It has that same corn mixed with vodka off flavor to it but its in the finish and minimal. This is waaaaay better than that dreadful swill, and even cheaper! Don't expect any real flavor here, but at like 50 cents a can its an excellent way to mix up your cheap lager game.
Rating is adjusted to the price point.

2.93/5  rDev +2.4%

1.44/5  rDev -49.7%

2.15/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours yellow with a one finger white head which fades quickly. The aroma has grain, corn, light hops.

Tastes much like it smells with grain, corn, and light hops. Both sweet and somewhat bitter.

Light to medium bodied. Decent carbonation. Not a good beer, but somewhat better than I expected.

3.11/5  rDev +8.7%

As many have said here, for the price point, this little lager is not bad and doesn't deserve your disdain.

Soft corn sweetness, soda like carbonation...it had a deeper malt feel than I expected. Tasty overall.

Are you going to break out your uber-special Teku for this? No. But it hits the spot if you're in the mood for something cheap and easy.

3.89/5  rDev +36%

There are quite a few very low reviews. I found it to be very drinkable, slightly too sweet, but overall have a nice corn like flavor. Smell was a little bit off, I thought it might be oxidated first. For $3.56 before tax for a sixer, you can't beat the price. Solid beer, I will definitely buy this again.

Simpler Times Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery