Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Simpler Times Lager | Minhas Craft Brewery

2.75/5  rDev -4.2%

2.75/5  rDev -4.2%

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Six-pack picked up from Trader Joe's for about $4

L - Pours a clear, honey gold with a good inch of head that disappears like a magic trick. Almost no lacing left.

S - Grains, malt, artificial fruit (grape?), metal, adjunct-y

T - Sweet definitely overpowers all other tastes. Sugary, honey, malt, some cereal grain. Finished up with a bitter, metallic aftertaste reminiscent of other cheap adjuncts.

F - Light, thin, watery, crisp, high carbonation, like drinking a soda.

O - $4 for a six-pack? Sure. You get what you pay for. It tastes cheap and on the sweeter side, kind of reminds me of Honey Brown. But there's enough going on to make this feel like a malt liquor, which, I'm not above. A good beer for a hot day--simpler times, if you will.

2.76/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz can poured into my Ithaca glass. It poured golden in color with a thin, bubbly white head barely covering the top of the beer.

The aroma shows a lot of crisp fruits to it with strong apple and pear notes to it. I get some sweet, almost sugary graininess to it as well.

The taste also shows a lot of crisp fruits to it throughout. I get a little more of a balancing bitterness in the finish though, which helps a little. The apple and pear like flavors are still pretty dominant for me though.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being moderate. Overall, I didn't think it was that great of a beer even for the style. The crisp fruitiness and sweet, sugary flavors were just too dominant and took away from the drinkability for me. I don't think it compares favorable to other readily available beers of the style.

2.76/5  rDev -3.8%

Medium gold color, slight haze, with delightful streams of carbonation bursting about. The head is 1/4 inch of white foam, holding decently before leaving behind some sudsy froth. Bready, cereal malt nose, with a keen fruitiness. Nothing too impressive, but doesn't smell bad either.

The taste is really quite sweet for this type of lager, almost cloying. It has the banana-like sweetness of a Hefe, but minus any spiciness or other flavors to give it balance. No real bitterness in the finish either, the sweet maltiness lingers on the tongue long after. This thing tastes hefty, almost a chore to drink. The body is slightly chewy, with the carbonation foaming up onto the palate.

This lager is not for me. If it were a bit more clean and crisp, and had some hop balance I might dig it, but this one is just a heavy, malty lager. I think some folks will definitely like it though. With the 6.2% ABV and only $2.99 for a 6-pack it's a good value, and if you're just looking to get drunk it will probably do. Don't have high expectations for it going in, and it might be worth a try.

2.77/5  rDev -3.5%

12oz can, unknown date. Served at around 45F.

Pours lightly hazy light amber/gold with a small white head that disappears pretty quick leaving only a faint cap and ring.

Aroma is sweet corn and grain, faint hay and herbal hops.

Flavor is sweet grains, corn, a bit of grassy/citrus hops on the finish. Quite sweet, minimal bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is a hair above light bodied, a touch sticky with fair carbonation.

Doing this back-to-back with thier Pilsner and I definitely like the Pils better. This one is sweeter with less balance and overall aroma and flavor. Appearance and Mouthfeel also don’t stack up to the Pils. Still, for a dirt-cheap lager this is better than the macros.

2.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance - Pours a semi-clear, golden hay color with a white, 2 finger head. Average retention. Spotty lacing.

Smell - Sweet and fruity; tart apple and sugar, mostly. Hints of grain and, buried deep, the faintest note of alcohol.

Taste - A jumbled mess of malt and sugar; subtle, faded green apple candy character. Faint hints of grain. Virtually no hops to speak of.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and sticky. Moderate carbonation. Where's the light, clean crispness of a lager?

Overall - Minhas delivers another malt liquor in disguise, this time as a lager. I didn't expect much out of a beer that costs roughly 60 cents per can, so I can't say I'm disappointed, only that I got what I paid for. Maybe a decent beer with which to play beer pong?

2.8/5  rDev -2.4%

Picked up a sixer of this at Trader Joe's Midtown in Atlanta, GA. It was was 3 bucks a sixer, so why not? Served up in my Terrapin Pint glass.

A: Well it looks like a macro. Has a very light yellow color. It is incredibly light yellow. It did pour a finger or so of white foam off a moderate pour, impressive I suppose. Still, it had zero retention and falters to absolutely nothing a all. With that said, of course there is no lace sitting on the glass whatsoever. There is a pretty lazy carbonation bubble activity slowly working its way up the glass. Its pretty average for a macro.

S: Well me oh my, its a macro. Got a lot of sweet corn in here, I mean big time. The corn is a bit much. Then you get some grains, but mostly its all corn. Sugar and corn. Thats about it. Did I mention corn? I guess its pretty standard.

T: This is a bit below the ok line. This tastes like your standard macro, such as a Bud or Coors, with just quite a bit of salt added. Its not exactly appetizing. Lots of corn and sugar, then that salty sense. Uh . . . no.

M: Its light in body with a nice wateriness to it. Lots of carbonation makes this crisp and refreshing. The ABV is a bit higher than I expected and I am shocked that I would not be able to buy this in Alabama because it is a smooth over 6 percent lager. Aftertaste is that sugary corn.

D: Well, its not that great. That sugary sweet and salty taste really throws me off. Other than that its pretty average in every other category. Its a macro, its damn near water and its not dynamic whatsoever. I'll pass on this, give me a High Life.

2.81/5  rDev -2.1%

pours light yellow with quickly dissipating head.
Slightly grassy aroma.

Sharp flavor very slight hoppines. A little skunky on the finish.

Very light mouthfeel but typical for style.

Overall not an outstanding beer but drinkable and at 6.2% and $2.99 for a six pack it is a better beer and a better value than similar styles in the price range. Good for when you need cheap beer in cans though.

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.83/5  rDev -1.4%

shotgun hole opened with a clean crisp sprayless snap.

slight oaty smell as soon as i punctured the side of the can.

flowed very smoothly and had a light malty finish with very little foam.

burp was short and sweet with no fear of foam making its way back up.

all in all a decent lager for the price.

[day 144 of 365] - may 24th, 2010

2.83/5  rDev -1.4%

I finally gave in and decided I had to try this beer.

A- Soft golden, light yellow, loads of carbonation rising up the glass, fizzy white head dissipates quickly leaving just a mild foam on top.

S- Very light grain, some sweet corn as an adjunct, very mild aroma disappears quickly, leaving just a faint malty, grain, cereal biscuit on the nose.

T- Corn and malt up front, unrecognizable bitterness, dry finish, with a slight buttery residual finish.

M- Very highly carbonated, sharp and tingling, dry with a sweet finish, not much bitterness to end at all.

D- I guess this beer is not horrible, but it is close, flavor is uninteresting, very mild, off flavors from the adjuncts, nothing special, but at 6.2% if your just looking for that it will get the job done.

2.83/5  rDev -1.4%

A- Very transparent brownish yellow with a slight ammount of head/ lacing that rode along the outer edge of the glass.

S-Sweet and a little cornlike.

T-Smooth sweet beginning with a slight bite on the finish.

M-Little carbonation and leaving with a dry aftertaste.

D- This beer is very drinkable and I would put it above most macro's, while the price is less than most macro's.

2.84/5  rDev -1%

At $2.99 a six pack at Trader Joes why not?

Aggressive pour from a can into an Imperial Pint glass. The frothy white head reached the brim of the glass and then disappeared nearly as fast as it formed without leaving a trace of it's once vibrant existance. The color is a crystal clear light golden one. Lots of carbonation up front, but if you're not pounding this one you'll wonder where it went.

Immediately after the pour I immersed my nose into the glass and got a sulfur lager yeast aroma which quickly faded to the sweetness of Iowa's number one crop...corn. Nothing special here, but not unpleasant either.

The taste is similar to the aroma...maybe just a hint of that sulfur lager taste, but maybe the aroma had something to do with that. The dominating taste is a corn sweetness, but there is a touch more hops in here than a typical macro to help balance out the sweetness.

Simpler Times leaves a sweet coating in your mouth that makes you want to rinse away with another drink from it which seems to only make matters worse. This situation is best avoided by drinking the beer fast.

Overall not bad for the price...definitely would pick this over most macros, but far from the top of my list. Drink this one cold and fast...just had my last sip after it has warmed a bit and it is definitely better cold.

I'm thinking this one could have gone a couple more gravity points lower before being sent out, b

2.85/5  rDev -0.7%

I like the Simpler Times Lager because it's exactly what it says. Sorry this is my first review so I'm not going to get into details. It is a cheap drinkable beer. Perfect for when you just need to unwind after a hard day or work and don't want to spend $12 for a damn 6 pack.

2.86/5  rDev -0.3%

Trader Joes for $2.99 a six pack. Wow whata country. Thats like 50 cents a brew!

A- Deep golden color that I was surprised to see, good initial head retention when poured from the can. Not like those other "main stream" lagers. This one seems darker and thicker.

S- Sweet grain.

T- Grainy, a bit overly sweet for the style. Is that a heavy malt I taste?

M- A heavy lager. You can taste that 6.2% at first, but after 2 or 3 it goes down much smoother.

O- Nothing wrong with drinking this brew. Beware the wrath of drinking too much simpler times however as it can give you a nasty headache. However if on a budget and doing something outdoors, not much is better.

2.87/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I have to admit, we picked up a six pack of this from Trader Joe's because it was $4.00. We figured that we could use it as a general house beer if it was of Bud Light standards. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. The beer pours very clear golden straw in color with a thick rocky white head on top and light carbonation. Aroma is crisp and light with a malty sweet behind it. It has a sharp amount of hops upfront with a smooth sweet maltiness in the drink. There's a hint of alcohol on the finish. It drinks very dry. Great for watching sports with the guys.

2.87/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.88/5  rDev +0.3%

All the guys at the shop indulge in the "King". I can't drink that shhit for many reasons, and my bottles of torpedo make me look all hotie-totie. So i had to find a beer I can tolorate in the can...

Looks like piss on the pour. Piss with foam.
Smells like piss. Piss with well...
Taste is much better than all the BMC offerings. So at 2.99 a six I've got a keeper here. This beer reminds me of when I was a kid at stater bros. and saw a guy with a six pack that had a brown label on the can and just said "beer" in black lower case letters. I'd kill to find a can of that...oh wait, I have

2.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Review from notes.
Pours a straw yellow into my trusty dimpled mug with a good fingers worth of head that dissipates fairly quickly w/o lacing.
Smells of sweet cereal grains, mostly corn with a slight hop smell as well as the alcohol within'
Taste/mouthfeel the aforementioned sweet grains hit first followed by a bit of hop for a crisp, yet boozy finish with the 6.2% abv very much in evidence, and despite the finger's worth of head the carbonation was mild giving the beer a medium body that could definitely work one over in the heat or sessioning. Never saw the stuff before and for $2.99 for a sixer of cans @ Trader Joe's, where I always seem to find something interesting to try, and a pretty heavy abv for the price it's definitely worth the pick up. Overall not bad, in my notes I wrote, "Like a Yuengling, minus the skunk/funk; add sweetness, abv and a Charles Shaw price."

2.9/5  rDev +1%

2.9/5  rDev +1%

Clear golden with a large white head. No lacing to speak of. Smell is a corny. Taste is sweet corn, bread, yeasty, and a slight winey quality that I usually taste in malt liquors. Not anything special. From a brown bottle bought at Trader Joes. It's one redeeming quality is that it was cheap.

2.92/5  rDev +1.7%

2.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Got a sixer of this for $2.99 at the local Trader Joe's.

A-Light-Golden yellow similar to any mass produced lager.

S-Smells grainy with a little bit of cereal.

T-Decent malt character with a little bit of hop bite.

M-Nice carbonation and goes down smoothly.

D-Very easy to drink and goes down dangerously easy for a beer of 6.2%. One of the best bargain beers I've ever had if not the best bargain beer. Why pay $6.99 for a six-pack of Bud Light when you can get this for $2.99, and it tastes better and has a stronger ABV.

2.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Grabbed a six pack of these at Trader Joe's for less than $4, figured I'd give it a shot.

Pours a bright and crystal clear gold color with a faint white head.

Faint nose, some sweetness, and not much else.

Taste is sweet, a little bit bready, grainy, and with a slight corn like flavor. Finish is crisp, with a mineral water like crispness.

Mouthfeel is quite thick, too much so for my liking. Kind of feels like a malt liquor.

Drinkability is ok, but this is a miss. To heavy feeling and tasting to be one I'd want to have again.

Simpler Times Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery