Simpler Times Lager | Minhas Craft Brewery

poor
good
Read the review
Simpler Times LagerSimpler Times Lager

Minhas Craft Brewery
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by blackie on 10-11-2008

Reviews: 198 | Ratings: 367
2.13/5  rDev -26.8%

Pours a clear straw color with almost no head whatsoever. Smells only of sweet adjuncts and fermented corn flakes. Not much malt presence in the nose. First sip is bland cereal and just a tad of hop bitterness. Not much positive aspects in this one. Simpler Times needs more complexity.

2.15/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours yellow with a one finger white head which fades quickly. The aroma has grain, corn, light hops.

Tastes much like it smells with grain, corn, and light hops. Both sweet and somewhat bitter.

Light to medium bodied. Decent carbonation. Not a good beer, but somewhat better than I expected.

2.23/5  rDev -23.4%

Nothing special to this, just a decent value beer. Pours piss yellow with a frothy head that disappears pretty soon. Smells like corn and a hint of alcohol. Taste is pretty much the same, virtually no complexity. Goes down rather easy when chilled, but when it warms, the adjuncts become too overpowering.

Overall its not awful, but I would never pull this out to impress, only to wince the night away with.

2.23/5  rDev -23.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear, light yellow body with a very thin, white head.

Smell: Vague floral hop character conjoined with a tired malt and corn flake scent.

Taste: It's a cheap beer with a cheap taste. Cereal grains with a drizzle of sweet corn syrup. Vague floral hops with just a touch of bitterness, though not quite enough to balance, leaving you with a somewhat sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-low carbonation.

Drinkability: Not recommended. Even for a simple lager, it's a below average, underperfomer.

2.26/5  rDev -22.3%

I was paid by a customer with a six pack of this... I think he got the better deal.

Unimpressive, to say the least. Four bucks a sixer is probably more than you SHOULD pay, honestly.

Mouth feel was watery. It's wet. There. Nothing spectacular.

Aroma was all can. Even after pouring into icy mugs, we couldn't smell anything but musty can and alcohol, and the alcohol was really little more than a "note".

I'm not generally a light lager drinker, but this flavor is over sweet. WAY over sweet. Syrupy. And not in a good way. For it's style, I'd almost rather grab the PBR or the Keystone. Brutal, I know, but it's bad, BAD beer... The ONLY hops in this can, are printed on the label. Pull this swill out at a real beer party, and you'll be escorted to the curb.

Where's the malt? At times, I thought that I tasted some apple, as if someone had switched my Simpler Times for a Wyder's.

Yeah... Wide berth is all I can warn you of with this one. I'll be calling my brother to punk him with a review! He'll KILL me! :)

2.28/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

12 oz can into a pint glass. I like to think of today as National Trader Joe's Shitty Beer day.

A: Pours a clear golden color. The head is a bit less than a finger high and white in shade, with NO retention - literally none at all. No lacing, either.

S: Let's see, I get a bit of white grape, maybe some apple (not the nasty formaldehyde-y green apple, either), and cereal grain. Hops? No. It smells extremely bland instead of horrifying - that's good I guess.

T: Holy balls is this sweet. There seems to be a fuckload of cotton candy flavor throughout. Luckily, it covers up some of the nastier notes (cooked veggies, creamed corn) fairly well. It honestly reminds me of drinking a super sweet, cheap white wine...eh, I've drank worse.

M: Heavy on the sweetness, but the finish *is* slightly dry. It's not oppressive, at least - certainly I can get it down without retching. Fairly well carbonated.

O: Not a bad malt likka. I'm pretty sure buying 6 packs of this is cheaper per oz. than buying 40's of Mickey's or OE. This one is pretty good for getting drunk on the cheap. Sure, that's ALL it's good for, but sometimes this is an important facet of life. Why blow your $10 bombers in the pursuit of drunken bastardry (bitchery if you're female) when you can just get a case of this for about 44 cents?

2.3/5  rDev -21%

Pours a clear yellow with only slight head and no retention. There also wasn't any lacing present. Smells of adjunct in lager and especially sour ones at that. Fits the style. Tastes of adjuncts in lager with a strong sour aftertaste. Crisp body with quite a bit of carbonation. Got this at Trader Joe's and the price was very cheap. Overall, quite a bite to this lager and not very good at all.

2.31/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours a fizzy, off yellow sort of golden color with thin, tracing white head.
Smells like fresh, right out the can Budwiesser, very grainy.
Taste is fairly pedestrian, its a pretty grainy brew, like your favorite macro.
Finish is crisp, but it definitely gives me bitter beer face.
Drinks ok. and it's got a 6.2% which is a bit higher than average but it doesn't make it more drinkable than average.

2.38/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured a light to medium straw hue with a two finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured pure sweet corn.

The taste was upfront overly sweet adjunct malts witna slightly doughy finish.

The mouthfeel was full for the style.

Overall a heavy and sweet adjunct lager. Heavy ABV without the malt depth to support it. Difficult to drink.

2.38/5  rDev -18.2%

Not terribly awful. Like others, I spotted this nicely-designed can in a local Trader Joe's. I poured into a glass, smelled, and tasted.

Tastes like hairspray. Second sip was better, but still not so great.

No mention of this beer on the Minhas Craft Brewery site. Odd?

I'll finish the six-pack, but will not buy more.

2.39/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I too found this at Trader Joe's for $3.99 a sixer and decided to give it a try. Pours a clear light straw color with a small fizzy white head. Hardly any retention and no lacing.

Smells very fruity, like apples. Acetaldehyde? I'm really not sure. The lager crispness that I was expecting is hiding in the background.

Very watery and light on the palate. That same sweet apple and banana fruitiness is very present in the taste. Bubblegum like flavors as well.

All in all, its an interesting beer but its a terrible example of the style. Way too many off-flavors. When I'm looking for a lager I want something thats clean, crisp, refreshing and very drinkable. This one just didn't cut it.

2.4/5  rDev -17.5%

12oz can
6.2% abv

Simpler Times Lager was golden in color with good clarity. It had an off-white head that didn't last. The smell was light and clean with a little grain, and a touch of hops and alcohol coming through. The taste was sweet malt upfront with alcohol noticeable towards the semi-dry finish. It was medium-light in body with medium-light carbonation. Drinkability was below average. It's just a cheap crappy beer.

2.46/5  rDev -15.5%

pretty sure this is a TJ exclusive

a: pilsner glass, big noisy white head that recedes slowly, golden colored beer

s: pale malt and sweet adjuncts, the anticipated vegetal DMS, old hops give a touch of spice, pretty typical of the style

m: light-medium carbonation and body

t: pale malts and an adjunct (corn?) type sweetness, doesn't seem so bad initially but the off flavors really start to build and linger in the finish, DMS present in excess, probably some higher alcohols, not so good

d: not horrid but certainly not something I'd recommend

single can from Trader Joe's Reston, something like $0.67

2.46/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Trader Joe's. Gold can.

Simpler Times looks pretty good. High level of carbonation, decent white head over clearish yellow beer. Not as transparent as BMC beers.

The smell is unremarkable. You can tell it's a beer, but it's pretty faint. Smells more malty than hoppy.

The flavor is disappointing. Metallic, mild malty sweetness, a touch of hop crispness but not enough. It's not horrible but it's not great. Too sweet for a lager, in my opinion. Lagers are meant to be session beers and this one would get old after 1 or 2.

Mouthfeel is OK because the high level of carbonation makes up for an otherwise uninteresting beer.

2.46/5  rDev -15.5%

12 ounce bottle. Clear gold color with a nice white head albeit fizzy. Cereal grainy aroma with some generic sweetness. Flavor is grainy with banana and corn syrup. Very light, easy to pound. Cheap as hell, so I guess it is a decent alternative to macro swill or maybe it could be a summer barbecue beer but nothing I would ever really seek out.

2.49/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured a 12oz can into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. The beer pours a highly fizzy gold with a big 3 inch head that quickly disappears into nothingness. No head retention regardless of the major nucleation point on the glass. The aroma is overwhelmingly sweet. Almost to the point where it reminds me of unfermented wort. Just a bit of grassiness but not much else. The flavor is the same with just malty sweetness in whats supposed to be a light, clean lager. Almost a vegetal undertone. Not very good. The mouthfeel i sweet finishing just south of dry. Overall, its meh for a cheap beer. I don't think I'll be buying another 6 pack.

2.5/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tried it in a nonik pint. It pours nice, clean, and golden but leaves lackluster lacing. Thoroughly sub-par beer for a commensurate price. It tastes and feels like malt liquor (if malt liquor didn't have an offensive diesel-like aftertaste) without nearly as high of an ABV.

2.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass. No freshness date. Single purchased at Trader Joe's for $0.83.

A: Appealing honey-gold with 1.5 finger off white head that disappears quickly and leaves no lace.

S: Minimal aromas of cereal grain, corn, and noble hops

T: Flavor is not hefty with cereal grain sweetness followed by mild noble hops bite and not much else. Long metallic aftertaste is not a bonus.

M: Light-bodied and highly carbonated to give a clean feel. Nothing terrible or good here.

D: Without the metallic aftertaste, this would be a good value beer, but as it stands, I would not buy it again even for what little I paid. I would rather drink Miller High Life anytime and it is cheaper.

2.55/5  rDev -12.4%

A - pours a translucent pale gold color. Not much head, appears to be fairly well carbonated.

S - cereal grains and malt on the nose. No hop character to be found here - almost sugary.

T - upfront not much taste at all, but kind of crisp and watery at the same time. The taste through the middle and back end opens up with malty sweetness and fruity flavors, but it's a cloying sweetness that I do not enjoy.

M - medium light bodied, crisp. Decent enough I suppose.

O - overall this would have been much better if that cloying sweetness could be cut down on. Or balanced with something, anything! But, then again, at $4 for a six pack, who am I to complain? When I'm broke, I will probably buy this again.

2.56/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear golden color with a foamy half inch ivory head that dissipates quickly, leaving no lacing.

Aroma is laden with corn and reminiscent of malt liquor, with sweet malt and alcohol leading into a somewhat estery, perfumy finish.

Flavor reveals more esters, which are slightly fusel, followed by sweet malt and corn adjunct. Alcohol is present throughout, even into the slightly dry finish.

Body is a touch heavy, with moderate carbonation. Alcohol warmth lingers.

A bit more like a malt liquor than a lager, complete with adjunct and estery flavors. Not a beer I'll frequent without a paper bag.

2.57/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: An aggressive pour into my Green Bay Packers pint glass yielded a tight two finger head, which had sunk to a thin white cap halfway through. To my surprise there was actually some decent lacing. Color is a shade darker than a typical adjunct. More of a golden yellow than the usual straw.

Smell: Faint adjunct grains, mostly corn I believe. There's also a smidgen of fusel alcohol hanging around in the backdrop.

Taste: The first thing I notice is a cloying sweetness, which goes hand in hand with the adjunct grain from the smell. However it's less corn focused than the smell. There is a tinge of malt on the tail end.

Mouthfell: It's light bodied, but again better than most of it's adjunct brethren. It's not exactly carbonated water, there's some substance here.

Drinkability: It's probably one of the best adjuncts I've had thus far. At $3.99 per 6-pack it definitely compares favorably. I wouldn't have a problem knocking back a few of these if I was kicking back on Sunday watching a Packers game.

As far as adjunct swill goes this is now towards the top of my list. There isn't much else around at $3.99. The only thing around here at that price point is Natural Ice and it certainly beats the hell out of that. There is a time and a place for everything for me, even adjuncts.

2.6/5  rDev -10.7%

I don't consider myself too good to drink cheap beer. In fact, I've been know to store cold cans of PBR and Coors Light in the back of the fridge to break out for certain occasions. So when I saw 6-pks of a 6.2% ABV beer at Trader Joe's for $2.99, naturally I took advantage.

I drank from straight from the can, so smell and appearance meant nothing. My first impression tells it all: take a Budweiser and pour in a half shot of cheap vodka to boost the ABV, and that's pretty much what you've got here. To me, the beer seems like they tried to pack too much alcohol into it, and the empty, bitter aftertaste shows it. Not one I'd buy again, but if you're looking for a potent, yet cheap, brew for a day at the lake, it might be worth a look. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

2.61/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Straw yellow, with a nice white head that dissipates into attractive spider-web lace.

Nose is corny, adjunct, malted barley or rice, really pretty typical.

Taste is super-sweet, even syrupy. Hop presence is practically null. To it's credit, this has a much fuller flavor profile and heavier body than macro lagers, but I'd still avoid this one again. A nice deal, though, at $3.99/6pk at Trader Joe's.

2.61/5  rDev -10.3%

Minhas Craft Brewery's Simpler Times Lager pours a slightly-darker-than-pale straw body. Its snow white head rises about an inch or so before beginning a slightly-more-leisurely-than-expected fall. Pockets of small bubbles appear and disappear in the glass. The only thing that really entices me here is the oily island of head residue that caps the liquid in my glass.

The nose remains unappealing despite repeated attempts to accustom my olfactory sensors to it. Ugh. Metals up front, estery acids in back. There's some sweet steamed grainy stuff in there somewhere. Must we press on? I suppose so…

This beer tastes better than it smells, but that's not saying much. Alcohol is the main flavor. It's supported by some pleasing malty sweetness. Hops contribute a bit of oregano-like flavor. The brew is fuller and richer on the palate than most American adjuncts.

If I were at a party and the only brew available were Simpler Times lager, I'd have to be particularly in the mood to drink beer to drink one. Still, I can think of much worse representations of the style. For 50 cents, this beer was worth a try, but doubt it'd be worth a repeat visit.

2.63/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce can, picked it up as a single at Trader Joe's this morning for 59 cents. Might as well try it at that price! Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both average. The brew smells like sweet malt and corn, and not much else from what I can tell. Taste is mostly the same as the aroma, it's pretty much just sweet malt and corn, but there's also some slight bitterness, too. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's smooth and easy enough to drink. For the style of beer it is, it's not bad. I wouldn't buy this very often, but it's not like I can complain about the price. I would try it again.

Simpler Times Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery