Simpler Times Lager | Minhas Craft Brewery

poor
good
Read the review
Simpler Times LagerSimpler Times Lager

Minhas Craft Brewery
Wisconsin, United States
minhasbrewery.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by blackie on 10-11-2008

Reviews: 200 | Ratings: 373
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce can, picked it up as a single at Trader Joe's this morning for 59 cents. Might as well try it at that price! Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both average. The brew smells like sweet malt and corn, and not much else from what I can tell. Taste is mostly the same as the aroma, it's pretty much just sweet malt and corn, but there's also some slight bitterness, too. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's smooth and easy enough to drink. For the style of beer it is, it's not bad. I wouldn't buy this very often, but it's not like I can complain about the price. I would try it again.

2.63/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from the 12 oz aluminum can, into my straight sided glass tumbler, a one inch head very quickly disappears. A little lace follows the level down the glass. A very dark yellow color is apparent. The smell is very faint, of corn and very little malt, no hop aroma is present. Very little flavor is present, straw, and corn. Mouthfeel is medium, as is drinkability. Available at Trader Joe's, this is cheap beer at it's finest.

Just a thought,

barleyman

2.63/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This is one of those Trader Joe's generic beers from someone else. The appearance is yellow and weak, feint, small white head, 1/5". Aroma was macro industrial not much.

Taste, its that simple lager stuff, BMC AAL under another name. Strangely the alcohol is amped up, so I guess if you're looking for a buzz, this is the one to have I guess relative to style. Its basic stuff at a somewhat premium price.

2.63/5  rDev -9.6%

Another 50 cent can purchase from Trader Joe's just for fun. I've had this before but don't really remember it. Poured from can into pint glass.

Appearance is straw color with a bit of gold. Big fluffy head with great lacing. Looks somewhat promising. I don't particularly smell anything at all. Hm.

Taste is better than Name Tag. It's a bit more full and flavorful. Rice and corn dominate the flavor. Nothing overly remarkable here.

Mouthfeel is good and goes down smooth.

Overall, for 50 cents you can't really complain. Between this and Name Tag, their other 50 cent/can offering, I'd easily go with this one. It's much better.

2.64/5  rDev -9.3%

Not a bad beer for $3.99 a 6pk
Not sure if the 6.2% abv is that accurate. Into my 3rd can and don't feel like I have drank anything more than a couple rolling rock pounders.

But overall it's not a bad brew for the cost.

2.64/5  rDev -9.3%

"Sweet" tasting breakfast cereal taste is something I just can't get past in this beer. It's like someone put a semi-sugary cereal into the beer somehow, and it has entirely taken over. Pale gold in appearance, thin white head. Minimal nose, with some light cooked corn. Finish is sweet and cereal-like.

2.65/5  rDev -8.9%

Wasn't impressed with the appearance and aroma, not much to either, yellow, faint.

Taste, a little reminiscient of Weinhard's, which ain't a bad thing. Kinda plain. Minimal hops, minimal malt. This is a plain beer, not bad, just, well simpler times I guess.

It's real drinkable, its pretty cheap and there's nothing to like or dislike.

2.65/5  rDev -8.9%

Cold 12oz can poured into pint glass. Pleasingly on the orange side of yellow, and clear, but big, big bubbles form a white head that instantly collapses. Very faint pils aroma.

Flavor is very, very mild. At first it does seem pleasantly crisp and dry, but a larger swallow reveals a little bit of cloying malt. So basically, this is really bland, and only a little bit offensive. The label says 6.2% ABV. If they were going for malt liquor, I'd say they've done well.

2.68/5  rDev -7.9%

A - Light golden with a slightly amber hue -- looks more appetizing than a BMC brew.

S - Boozy, hoppy, and bitter. Not too offensive for its alcohol content.

T - Slightly bitter from hops, followed by a warm rush of alcohol.

M - Consistency is akin to syrup. Lightly carbonated. Full bodied for the price and style.

O - For $2.99 (on sale) per 6-pack at Trader Joe's, it's hard to go wrong if one is on a budget or wants to catch a quick buzz -- or both. Although I rarely frequent Trader Joe's, I'll pick up a sixer each time I visit.

2.68/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

You simply cannot beat the prices at Trader Joe's. This cheap-o pours a clear golden straw topped by a finger of bright white foam. The nose comprises wheat, flowers, and a light, though palpable, touch of very light grapefruit and lemon (not unlike Squirt). The taste brings in a bit more of this citrus character, but it's seemingly more artificial now. What's worse, it continues to be out-dueled on my tongue by the grainy wheat and mild flowers. I do not enjoy this particular fight scene (despite the obviously intricate choreography). The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a kinda slimy feel. Overall, I must be crazy to keep trying these Minhas brews. Damn you and your tantalizing prices, Joe!

2.68/5  rDev -7.9%

I've had this beer for years and they're definitely toying with the recipe a bit. This was much sweeter than I remembered from years past, and actually a little less boozy. I guess the alcohol is getting lost in the sugars.

a- good straw yellow. A bit more bodied than typical adjunct offerings
s- Sticky sweet and a bit of yeast. Definite notes of green grapes and apple
t- Very sugary, with a lot of bright fruit flavors, followed by a slight yeast flavor. Distinctly not beery, nor is it like any adjunct beer I've had before.
m- cloying with all the sugar. flavors are a great one two punch, and then the alcohol cleans up a lot of it, but it's still a sticky beer. The empty glass felt like it had soda in it rather than beer

Overall, a great offering at $4/6cans. I think you just need to set your expectations accordingly. This actually tasted a lot more like a shandy/radler/cider than an adjunct lager, but I really enjoy those so it works for me. YMMV.

2.72/5  rDev -6.5%

Four bucks for a sixer of canned "craft" beer? How could I not pass that up? I'm cautiously optimistic.

It pours a clear straw golden color, with a good sized lemon-tinged foamy head, which doesn't last long and leaves zero lace. Here's where it gets interesting... what are the flecks of stuff in my glass!? There are several dozen or so small pieces of something that drift around and gradually sink to the bottom. I'm all for unfiltered beer, but this is a little weird to me. Are they remnants of pelletized hops? That's my best guess, except that's the biggest statement the hops make in the beer. (if I'm correct)

Aromas are pretty faint, some sweet, lagery beer nose going on, maybe a bit of fruitiness but I'm searching here.

Taste has more going on, but nowhere near my favorite craft lagers. Simpler times has a bit more oomph in the taste department than most macro lagers I've had... Sweet malts, possibly corn and bready in the middle. Mouthfeel is slick, with an almost medium body, but the finish is a little off. It's lacking much bittering, and ends with an almost soapy aftertaste.

Well, I can't fault the price, but there isn't much in this beer to come back to. I'll drink Full Sail's Session Lager or even PBR just about any day before this.

2.73/5  rDev -6.2%

Got this in a 6 pack of cans at Trader Joe's. Another of the unending series of cheap bears relentlessly churned out by Minhas.

A - Poured with a nice white head into my pint glass which mostly dissipated, although about 1/4 inch lingered for awhile. Looks just like any other adjunct lager.

S - a bit more malty than I expected. Not altogether objectionable.

T - much better than I expected from reading the other reviews, honestly. The malt upfront disguises the 6.2% pretty well, but the alcohol gets exposed pretty soon afterwards. Bitter finish. Gotta get this down before it gets any warmer.

M - A little bit thicker than most light macro lagers.

D - It's value lies mainly in the kitschy name and packaging. It'll earn a laugh among the boys the first time you break it out. It needs to stay really cold, though, to even be palatable. It's kind of a tweener in the sense that, as a light lager, it's best for summer time consumption. But at 6.2%, it packs the kind of wallop that eliminates it as something you can drink all day. Still, it manages to hide its booze pretty well. Much, much more drinkable than an Icehouse, at about the same price.

2.75/5  rDev -5.5%

Spied at Trader Joe's. What the hell.

Pours a bright golden hue. Huge white foam head. Uh oh.

Smell is grainy and sweet. Uh oh.

Taste is actually more palatable than I though it would be. Yes, there is a grainy, cereal-y sweetness, but also a bit of nice lemon/citrus burn and a touch of hoppy bitterness to balance out the overly sweet malt base. Decently carbonated.

A notch or two above similar brews.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Six-pack picked up from Trader Joe's for about $4

L - Pours a clear, honey gold with a good inch of head that disappears like a magic trick. Almost no lacing left.

S - Grains, malt, artificial fruit (grape?), metal, adjunct-y

T - Sweet definitely overpowers all other tastes. Sugary, honey, malt, some cereal grain. Finished up with a bitter, metallic aftertaste reminiscent of other cheap adjuncts.

F - Light, thin, watery, crisp, high carbonation, like drinking a soda.

O - $4 for a six-pack? Sure. You get what you pay for. It tastes cheap and on the sweeter side, kind of reminds me of Honey Brown. But there's enough going on to make this feel like a malt liquor, which, I'm not above. A good beer for a hot day--simpler times, if you will.

2.76/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz can poured into my Ithaca glass. It poured golden in color with a thin, bubbly white head barely covering the top of the beer.

The aroma shows a lot of crisp fruits to it with strong apple and pear notes to it. I get some sweet, almost sugary graininess to it as well.

The taste also shows a lot of crisp fruits to it throughout. I get a little more of a balancing bitterness in the finish though, which helps a little. The apple and pear like flavors are still pretty dominant for me though.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being moderate. Overall, I didn't think it was that great of a beer even for the style. The crisp fruitiness and sweet, sugary flavors were just too dominant and took away from the drinkability for me. I don't think it compares favorable to other readily available beers of the style.

2.76/5  rDev -5.2%

Medium gold color, slight haze, with delightful streams of carbonation bursting about. The head is 1/4 inch of white foam, holding decently before leaving behind some sudsy froth. Bready, cereal malt nose, with a keen fruitiness. Nothing too impressive, but doesn't smell bad either.

The taste is really quite sweet for this type of lager, almost cloying. It has the banana-like sweetness of a Hefe, but minus any spiciness or other flavors to give it balance. No real bitterness in the finish either, the sweet maltiness lingers on the tongue long after. This thing tastes hefty, almost a chore to drink. The body is slightly chewy, with the carbonation foaming up onto the palate.

This lager is not for me. If it were a bit more clean and crisp, and had some hop balance I might dig it, but this one is just a heavy, malty lager. I think some folks will definitely like it though. With the 6.2% ABV and only $2.99 for a 6-pack it's a good value, and if you're just looking to get drunk it will probably do. Don't have high expectations for it going in, and it might be worth a try.

2.77/5  rDev -4.8%

12oz can, unknown date. Served at around 45F.

Pours lightly hazy light amber/gold with a small white head that disappears pretty quick leaving only a faint cap and ring.

Aroma is sweet corn and grain, faint hay and herbal hops.

Flavor is sweet grains, corn, a bit of grassy/citrus hops on the finish. Quite sweet, minimal bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is a hair above light bodied, a touch sticky with fair carbonation.

Doing this back-to-back with thier Pilsner and I definitely like the Pils better. This one is sweeter with less balance and overall aroma and flavor. Appearance and Mouthfeel also don’t stack up to the Pils. Still, for a dirt-cheap lager this is better than the macros.

2.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance - Pours a semi-clear, golden hay color with a white, 2 finger head. Average retention. Spotty lacing.

Smell - Sweet and fruity; tart apple and sugar, mostly. Hints of grain and, buried deep, the faintest note of alcohol.

Taste - A jumbled mess of malt and sugar; subtle, faded green apple candy character. Faint hints of grain. Virtually no hops to speak of.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and sticky. Moderate carbonation. Where's the light, clean crispness of a lager?

Overall - Minhas delivers another malt liquor in disguise, this time as a lager. I didn't expect much out of a beer that costs roughly 60 cents per can, so I can't say I'm disappointed, only that I got what I paid for. Maybe a decent beer with which to play beer pong?

2.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Picked up a sixer of this at Trader Joe's Midtown in Atlanta, GA. It was was 3 bucks a sixer, so why not? Served up in my Terrapin Pint glass.

A: Well it looks like a macro. Has a very light yellow color. It is incredibly light yellow. It did pour a finger or so of white foam off a moderate pour, impressive I suppose. Still, it had zero retention and falters to absolutely nothing a all. With that said, of course there is no lace sitting on the glass whatsoever. There is a pretty lazy carbonation bubble activity slowly working its way up the glass. Its pretty average for a macro.

S: Well me oh my, its a macro. Got a lot of sweet corn in here, I mean big time. The corn is a bit much. Then you get some grains, but mostly its all corn. Sugar and corn. Thats about it. Did I mention corn? I guess its pretty standard.

T: This is a bit below the ok line. This tastes like your standard macro, such as a Bud or Coors, with just quite a bit of salt added. Its not exactly appetizing. Lots of corn and sugar, then that salty sense. Uh . . . no.

M: Its light in body with a nice wateriness to it. Lots of carbonation makes this crisp and refreshing. The ABV is a bit higher than I expected and I am shocked that I would not be able to buy this in Alabama because it is a smooth over 6 percent lager. Aftertaste is that sugary corn.

D: Well, its not that great. That sugary sweet and salty taste really throws me off. Other than that its pretty average in every other category. Its a macro, its damn near water and its not dynamic whatsoever. I'll pass on this, give me a High Life.

2.81/5  rDev -3.4%

pours light yellow with quickly dissipating head.
Slightly grassy aroma.

Sharp flavor very slight hoppines. A little skunky on the finish.

Very light mouthfeel but typical for style.

Overall not an outstanding beer but drinkable and at 6.2% and $2.99 for a six pack it is a better beer and a better value than similar styles in the price range. Good for when you need cheap beer in cans though.

2.83/5  rDev -2.7%

shotgun hole opened with a clean crisp sprayless snap.

slight oaty smell as soon as i punctured the side of the can.

flowed very smoothly and had a light malty finish with very little foam.

burp was short and sweet with no fear of foam making its way back up.

all in all a decent lager for the price.

[day 144 of 365] - may 24th, 2010

2.83/5  rDev -2.7%

I finally gave in and decided I had to try this beer.

A- Soft golden, light yellow, loads of carbonation rising up the glass, fizzy white head dissipates quickly leaving just a mild foam on top.

S- Very light grain, some sweet corn as an adjunct, very mild aroma disappears quickly, leaving just a faint malty, grain, cereal biscuit on the nose.

T- Corn and malt up front, unrecognizable bitterness, dry finish, with a slight buttery residual finish.

M- Very highly carbonated, sharp and tingling, dry with a sweet finish, not much bitterness to end at all.

D- I guess this beer is not horrible, but it is close, flavor is uninteresting, very mild, off flavors from the adjuncts, nothing special, but at 6.2% if your just looking for that it will get the job done.

2.83/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Very transparent brownish yellow with a slight ammount of head/ lacing that rode along the outer edge of the glass.

S-Sweet and a little cornlike.

T-Smooth sweet beginning with a slight bite on the finish.

M-Little carbonation and leaving with a dry aftertaste.

D- This beer is very drinkable and I would put it above most macro's, while the price is less than most macro's.

2.84/5  rDev -2.4%

At $2.99 a six pack at Trader Joes why not?

Aggressive pour from a can into an Imperial Pint glass. The frothy white head reached the brim of the glass and then disappeared nearly as fast as it formed without leaving a trace of it's once vibrant existance. The color is a crystal clear light golden one. Lots of carbonation up front, but if you're not pounding this one you'll wonder where it went.

Immediately after the pour I immersed my nose into the glass and got a sulfur lager yeast aroma which quickly faded to the sweetness of Iowa's number one crop...corn. Nothing special here, but not unpleasant either.

The taste is similar to the aroma...maybe just a hint of that sulfur lager taste, but maybe the aroma had something to do with that. The dominating taste is a corn sweetness, but there is a touch more hops in here than a typical macro to help balance out the sweetness.

Simpler Times leaves a sweet coating in your mouth that makes you want to rinse away with another drink from it which seems to only make matters worse. This situation is best avoided by drinking the beer fast.

Overall not bad for the price...definitely would pick this over most macros, but far from the top of my list. Drink this one cold and fast...just had my last sip after it has warmed a bit and it is definitely better cold.

I'm thinking this one could have gone a couple more gravity points lower before being sent out, b

Simpler Times Lager from Minhas Craft Brewery